As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a Horizon: Zero Dawn thread - now with cold!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I’m excited for the noclip documentary on Horizon next month. Danny does good stuff.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hmm
    I need slagshine and desert glass for one of the new outfits but there is a severe shortage of both since I cleared out every bandit camp long ago
    The new one in this area gave me some but not enough

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Okay uh
    post main quest of Frozen Wilds
    "Kill five Fireclaws"
    Haha, how about, instead, fuck you???

I went and found one of the ones out in the world and it was somehow even less fun of a fight than the one you fight in the Cauldron is
    I went from having A LOT OF WIRE to ZERO WIRE over the course of one fight, because you need so many tie ropes to keep that fucker still. I'm not doing that four more times

(also I suspect that, since the objective is kill 5 Fireclaws and there are only 4 Fireclaw sites marked on the map for the quest, that one site contains two Fireclaws at once, and I'm just not fucking doing that)

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    About what point in the game does Frozen Wilds show up? I just finished the main game for the first time so i'm starting over on NG+, i'll just integrate Frozen Wilds with everything else.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    When you first go to the Banuk area, Sylens tells you to get busy with the important things. So I'm thinking sometime midgame.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I've been getting into this again and I don't know why, but for whatever reason this game activates a NEED in me to go get every collectible

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    When you first go to the Banuk area, Sylens tells you to get busy with the important things. So I'm thinking sometime midgame.

The quests in the DLC range from Level 25 to Level 40. The new enemies are pretty damn hard - move fast and hit hard - so they aren't easy even at 40+.

• Options
    Oh, no doubt. I was maxed out at 50 and that first fire bot would have wrecked my shit if I didn't have the armor on. Granted I am seriously out of practice, but I still haven't found a reliable counter to those things.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the new weapons are very useful in applying elemental effects (two of them at least)
    I like that once it's upgraded, the Icerail is exactly Mei's gun from Overwatch. Except the icicle does like a million damage.

• Options
    I think the only new weapon I've gotten is the shamans' weapon, the electric one? Do you acquire the other ones in a similar fashion?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm finally sitting back down and playing this after zelda/nier/persona distracted me and I forgot about it forever.

My first shot at playing it I got real frustrated at the inventory stuff, so I went and hunted boars for a while before really starting this time and it helped so much. Also realized I could pick up a bunch of maps off the vendor so I don't feel so lost.

I'm basically caught back up with where I was (just past Sona's quest right after you leave the embrace) and pretty excited to keep going.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I finished up AC: Origins so I'm gonna start the Frozen Wilds tonight

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I picked this up the other day! Playing it is fun, even if I'm having some trouble going from Assassin's Creed Origins to this, mostly in that it feels like some of the control mapping is different and I keep trying to exit out of scan mode by...apparently rolling myself off cliffs.

Story is...mostly fine? I know there's some story justification for the dialogue, but it feels kinda like a localization that is almost perfect, and it's fucking with me, a bit

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    anyways roughly 30% of my time in this game is spent taking pictures

• Options
    There is a Tallneck out in the desert by some Shadow Carja outpost. I came upon it at night, with some mist/cloud effects going. So you just got the silhouette against the full moon and the glowing eyes of the guardian bots. It was amazingly gorgeous. The kinds of visuals this game provides are incredible.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was walking through the Frozen Wilds forest at night and suddenly the sun started coming up and turned the whole ground red with that early morning sunlight, striped with the tree shadows. I just had to stop and stare at it.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

I played this game just, all day yesterday. I have every collectible now except for one Vantage Point, and, well, about the bandit camp friend...
    Nil really shouldn't have asked me to fight him to the death 'cause it was never going to end well for him!

I guess I can finally start the main quest now that I've done Basically Everything Else? I just finished Maker's End yesterday and everything seems bad!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh I have this! It's very pretty.

Something about Kid Aloy's face was a bit off to me. It felt like her head was a little big for her face?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh I have this! It's very pretty.

Something about Kid Aloy's face was a bit off to me. It felt like her head was a little big for her face?

Haha yeah that bugged me too, especially since the rest of the characters generally look so good.

• Options
    I started up the Frozen Wilds and man I forgot just how insanely gorgeous this game is

I stealthed my way through a lush clearing just as dawn was about to break and there was still mist everywhere and I could just see the lights of some machines grazing in the distance through the fog as birds flew overhead and it was so goddamn pretty

Also the facial animations are still second to none, I am still blown away by basically every conversation

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I started up the Frozen Wilds and man I forgot just how insanely gorgeous this game is

I stealthed my way through a lush clearing just as dawn was about to break and there was still mist everywhere and I could just see the lights of some machines grazing in the distance through the fog as birds flew overhead and it was so goddamn pretty

Also the facial animations are still second to none, I am still blown away by basically every conversation

I think they did some improvement on what was already great for the expansion.

Also the snow tech is perpetually amazing.

• Options
    Oh I also loved the intro to the Frozen Wilds quest
    I never get tired of Aloy telling Sylens to go suck eggs but hearing him get increasingly pissy as she reveals that she has put together that he's a former Banuk shaman and is gonna go digging around in his past was delightful.

Aloy is the best

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    someone in here said that Ourea reminded them of Robin Wright and I totally agree

like both the face and the voice, somehow

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm going into Frozen Wild at the point of no return it drops you back in at the end, when does it open up if you're playing through from the start?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    someone in here said that Ourea reminded them of Robin Wright and I totally agree

like both the face and the voice, somehow

That was me!

• Options
    I really liked the way they did the tutorial in this game

and the transition from Kid Aloy to Grownup Aloy was pretty rad

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Just got a 4k monitor that's capable of outputting hdr, and I have to say that this game is giving me a graphics bonor that I haven't had in a long long time.

I don't remember the name of the forumer that worked on the lighting, but I want to hug them.

Plays really good too.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Edit: woops

Moriveth on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So I got to the game's first save point.
    That was a very deliberate sort of tutorial. You have a ton of systems you have to engage with right quick, and a lot of text to leaf through. Not quite at Witcher 3 levels, but getting there.

The underground cavern was interesting, because for a minute it made my sense of the passage of time go absolutely haywire. You have this evidence that not that much time has passed, like barely-rusted panels over what look like circuit breakers, but it's also a building filled with fuckin' stalactites? I asked SilverWind how fast those tend to grow and she says, because she looks up shit on her phone faster than anyone in the universe, "About a centimeter every thousand years, depending."

"That one's three fucking meters tall! This place has been around for three hundred thousand years? And there are bodies in it, still! And they're super dry and mummified even though the place is filled with water!"

A minute later she's looking at her phone and says "If the water is going through concrete then stalactites can apparently form at the rate of a centimeter a year, or even faster."

Which means that everything being grey and nobby suggests that water broke through the concrete and everything, including the bodies, was covered in concrete before it had time to rot away, which is a pretty interesting aesthetic choice. I wonder if it's based on any real locations or circumstances that way

Coming back to a game that has explicit signposting for its resource-gathering is a change of pace

First impression: very pretty game. Very nice robot designs.

I think my favorite character touch so far is Aloy's tendency to repeat what she hears other people saying

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The Frozen Wilds is very good.
    Concrete Beach Party are my new favourite band.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Picked up The Frozen Wilds but decided to start over instead of jumping right in to the DLC

It's been almost 9 months since I beat it so a lot feels new again, and it has really cemented this as my Game of the Year by a pretty unprecedented margin.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Noclip’s Horizon doc is live. Well, part 1 at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9tLcD1r-6w&sns=em

Ceno on
  • Options
    Only need to beat the Frozen Wilds hunting ground and hit level 60 and I think I’ll have re-platinumed this.

GOTY easy. I was watching some reaction vids of the Zero Dawn reveal and now I want to replay the whole thing.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Thunderjaws are: pretty cool

Do they always drop purple weaves and stuff, or did I just get lucky with my first one dropping three mods?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Thunderjaws and Stormbirds always got the purps.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Hm! How very interesting.

So... how often do they respawn? Just for, you know, clarity's sake.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Lol, I actually don't know the respawn rate. Usually, by the time I've killed one, the others are back up. Just be careful in the area with two of them, corruption arrows help, but sometimes they track too far away from each other.

• Options
    God I’m trying to do this corrupted zone with 2 rockbreakers and my life is pain.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    When you're dealing with multiple large enemies, tying one down with the ropecaster can give you some time to focus on the other. They actually stay down for quite a while if you don't attack them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    NG+ on Ultra Hard is flying by super fast by mainlining the story, since I have everything and there is literally no need to do anything but the necessary main missions.

I'm getting on a mount and riding there as fast as possible and it is cooking (and not super hard considering how powerful a level 60 Aloy with maxed out gear is).