As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, T2 is the considerably more polished film, but for me it lost its teeth to some extent. It's more of a pure action film, whereas the first movie has more horror elements, and personally I prefer the latter. In that respect, I think there are some parallels to Alien vs Aliens, although Alien is a vastly more accomplished film than the rougher-around-the-edges Terminator.

Welcome to the "James Cameron sequels are Overrated" fan club.

You're going to love his plans for Avatar.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    @Xeddicus
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I don't want real world politics in my entertainment, thanks. We know where Hollywood stands as well, don't need reminders.

You'd be surprised, actually. Hollywood has quite a few conservative people in its ranks, especially in management. Fiction is also allowed to comment on the real world, and this is a spy series - politics is inherent. The series has already had a history of dealing with Russia, and still do this season.

For example: Arnold Schwartzneggar, Ronald Reagan, Jon Voight, Kelsey Grammar, Bruce Willis, Haim Saban. Marvel's long time CEO, Ike Perlmutter, is massively conservative and is not only a Trump supporter, but is a friend as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reclusive-marvel-ceo-ike-perlmutter-photographed-public-959632

That looks like a secret meeting between super villains discussing how they're going to kill James Bond.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Haim Saban is one of the DNC's biggest donors and fundraisers.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    For those into festival stuff, the Cannes film festival announced its lineup earlier today:

http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/cannes-lineup-announced-coppola-haynes-and-safdie-brothers-in-competition-1202029701/

New stuff from Hong (2 movies!), Kurosawa, Loznitsa, and Kiarostami's last film all have me excited. It's also rumored that there'll be some really great stuff in Director's Fortnight, which hasn't been announced yet. Looks like it could be a really good fest this year!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Relevant, probably.

https://youtu.be/DeHMEqnupYg

I don't know whats worse, the characters, the animation or the fact they are trying to justify in the worst way possible a reason to talk over during a movie in a packed theatre.

It's like they're begging to have sodas dumped on their heads just for showing up at a theater. People who won't shut the fuck up at shows are a large part of the reason I never go see anything.

I miss the good ole days when Cracked wasn't staffed by a bunch of pretentious hipsters.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Relevant, probably.

I don't know whats worse, the characters, the animation or the fact they are trying to justify in the worst way possible a reason to talk over during a movie in a packed theatre.

It's like they're begging to have sodas dumped on their heads just for showing up at a theater. People who won't shut the fuck up at shows are a large part of the reason I never go see anything.

I miss the good ole days when Cracked wasn't staffed by a bunch of pretentious hipsters.

The classic hipster holier than thou approach to movies. I stopped going to my local cinema in the UK for the horrendous pricing mainly but my last visit with my dad had some muppet deciding that he was so cool that he was watching some independent movie on his iPad while the main film was running. This delight on society also tried to cause a scene that he was receiving abuse for being removed from said screening only ruining an additional 35 minutes of the film.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Why in the world would somebody pay to see a movie, only to watch a different movie on their iPad and therefore disturbing everybody else? That's not even being a hipster, that's just being an asshole.

The latest movie I've seen in theaters was Beauty and the Beast, which I'm sure I missed the discussion of. Regardless, I enjoyed it. In a weird quirk, I just yesterday started watching Downton Abbey, and I thought that Matthew looked familiar.

steam_sig.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    me the last two pages

Crazy-Dog-Eye-Twitching-Reaction-Gif.gif

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I didn't finish watching that video because I only made it four minutes before stabbing myself in the eye--is their argument actually that their thoughts are so special and important that everybody around them would love to hear them if not for the social agreement not to fucking do that?

ACsTqqK.jpg
    They're all Poochies. All of them. This is why people don't like millenials.

At the very end they try to say "you aren't quiet at a concert or a sporting event so why is it different here?"

Because it just is, get the hell over it, find another place to apply your college relativism.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

At the very end they try to say "you aren't quiet at a concert or a sporting event so why is it different here?"

Because it just is, get the hell over it, find another place to apply your college relativism.

But you are quiet at a theater performance like opera or a stage play. God damn idiots.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

But you are quiet at a theater performance like opera or a stage play. God damn idiots.

No, no they aren't. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well you are supposed to be, God damn millenials!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I bet it's just fine in their community

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Preacher wrote: »

Being quiet at an opera or a stage play is a weird 19th century upper class thing that somehow ended up trickling down.

Couscous on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Except it's not millenials only doing this. I can't go to the movies with my mother in law because she can't stop checking her phone and then asking what just happened or who that actor is or any of the other obnoxious crap listed previously.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Except it's not millenials only doing this. I can't go to the movies with my mother in law because she can't stop checking her phone and then asking what just happened or who that actor is or any of the other obnoxious crap listed previously.

You go to theaters that don't have a strict "turn off your phone" policy?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Theaters that don't far outnumber theaters that do around here.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Even the big chains here have the "silence or turn off your phone" messages before the previews start, and my understanding is that using them during the film means you can get ejected.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Even the big chains here have the "silence or turn off your phone" messages before the previews start, and my understanding is that using them during the film means you can get ejected.

Absolutely. But that is a far cry from a strict policy. it can take ages to get someone to come look for the person using their phone, and they're more likely to get a warning than get ejected.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

That makes no goddamn sense. My ability to enjoy and understand a football game is not dependent on me hearing the coach yell obscenities at his players, but if I can't hear the whispered conversation in the movie I am utterly lost.

Just, fuck, man. I don't get this.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Why'd I get thrown out for making hilarious jokes during the symphony???

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    The Hollow Point (Netflix), really good movie. So good I'm going to rent it on iTunes to give the peeps some money. We are in a golden age of modern westerns, this is how you make classy low budget movies.

Small Arizona town on the border, Owlman returns to be sheriff after fizzling out in a bigger border town in what is assumed to be El Paso. He's replacing Al Swearengen, his former boss and the drunk sheriff who has grown to be reckless, unexpectedly kicking off a series of events that triggers a cartel hitman (Luigi Mario) into the town to fix things.

Very good, straightforward 100 minute thriller that has two "oh shit" moments that you will not expect that uses the usual small town aesthetic to a much more realistic degree (people don't like it there but it's not completely shit despite what they say). Patrick Wilson is super underrated as an actor and plays jackass sheriff very well, not wanting to eat some humble pie in having to come back to town after some bridges were burned. Ian McShane is so good as a cowboy I decree him an honorary Texan and he should teach all foreigners how to have an American accent, and Leguizamo is solid as always. Even Jim Belushi is good here as a shady car dealer, best role since Red Heat I tell you what.

I can't go into more detail without spoiling it but a fine performance from everyone, there's only one real annoying character thing that they carry on which is a bane of modern hollywood and film making/characterization but it's able to rebound off that well, and a satisfying ending.

Super recommend it if you like Sicario or Hell or High Water or No Country For Old Men.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I don't want real world politics in my entertainment, thanks. We know where Hollywood stands as well, don't need reminders.

All art is political

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Being a loud ape during a stage play, having only become a no-no in the past couple hundred years or w-e, is gross as FUCK.

That shit is hard to do, and some bag of dicks making a spectacle of themselves only makes it moreso. I had somebody's toddler trundle into my path in the middle a monologue. It was theatre in the Round, and I spun it into A Fun Thing (because... I'm brilliant, obvs), but it was still one of those "hey, maybe be a bro" things. That's of course on the parents in this case, but that's ALSO a part of theatre/filmgoing ettiquet.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Relevant, probably.

Oh hey, one of the reasons I only go to the Alamo Drafthouse anymore: a theater that demands its clientele be people with the emotional and mental stability and confidence to sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up, watch a fucking movie and find a way to parse their thoughts on it after the complete product has been presented to them.

Social media has really ruined society's ability to take their time to formulate their thoughts instead of just constantly fishing for validation by spewing word salad into the atmosphere, hasn't it?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    These discussions are always funny because like, up here in my experience you wander into a Cineplex, basically your standard megaplex theatre and at this point basically the only game in town, and they tell you to turn your phone off and not talk and shit before the previews and then everyone does 99% of the time because people know how to fucking behave in public in Canada I guess.

I can count on a small part of one hand the number of times someone has been any sort of problem in a movie I've seen.

shryke on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    These discussions are always funny because like, up here in my experience you wander into a Cineplex, basically your standard megaplex theatre and at this point basically the only game in town, and they tell you to turn your phone off and not talk and shit before the previews and then everyone does 99% of the time because people know how to fucking behave in public in Canada I guess.

I can count on a small part of one hand the number of times someone has been any sort of problem in a movie I've seen.

Americans are so stupid and selfish they can't even figure out how to use an escalator properly so there is that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This generation doesn't even bother disciplining their kids and it's rare to see a parent who even acts embarrassed at the fact that their child is out of control.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    A "kids these days just need a good spanking" view of corporal punishment is pretty messed up. It's not necessary to a good upbringing, and can cause more problems than it supposedly solves.

It's also weird to me because I can't think of a time I've ever had this problem in a theater, and I've lived in the US for 95% of my life. Some people are just rude, and attributing that to younger generations is getting into "old man yells at cloud" territory.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    cursedking wrote: »

All art is political

I'm not sure how that quote even got into this thread, but keep your art out of my movies too!

More seriously, there's a difference between lambasting the current president with a cheesy line clearly thrown in to draw attention to the fact you're doing so and say having the characters have contrary beliefs.

Xeddicus on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't mean spanking, I mean just something like telling your precious little bundle of joy to stop running up and down the aisles or kicking seats.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    A "kids these days just need a good spanking" view of corporal punishment is pretty messed up. It's not necessary to a good upbringing, and can cause more problems than it supposedly solves.

It's also weird to me because I can't think of a time I've ever had this problem in a theater, and I've lived in the US for 95% of my life. Some people are just rude, and attributing that to younger generations is getting into "old man yells at cloud" territory.

Discipline does not mean spanking. If a child can't or won't sit through a movie without it becoming a burden for others, the movie should be taken away. It rarely happens because that's also punishment to the parent. But in my life, I've only encountered 1 crying baby and 1 high out of his gourd man. And the high guy was a blast because I was sitting through BvS for a second time because my brother just had to see it. Getting asked if Aquaman was about to come out of Lois's puddle actually made the movie enjoyable for a second.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    god this week

I'm so tired

and done with being depressed

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

All art is political

I'm not sure how that quote even got into this thread, but keep your art out of my movies too!

More seriously, there's a difference between lambasting the current president with a cheesy line clearly thrown in to draw attention to the fact you're doing so and say having the characters have contrary beliefs.

I wanted to respond, but the subject was outside the scope of the AoS thread. Did you see my response in the last page?

The difference is arbitrary in art, since both can exist as an expression from the artist and/or characters.

Can you explain the example which ticked you off, because I can't see a single main character on the show who'd be ok with Trump or a Trump surrogate being president. That said, if anyone was conservative politically on that show I'd put money on Melinda May. Maybe Grant Ward when he was on the team.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    god this week

I'm so tired

Have you considered watching an uplifting movie?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I find the background workings of the Star Wars setting incredibly interesting, insofar as they have to do with laser-swords and spaceships going pew-pew.

Like... in my couple dozen hours playing the Old Republic, I found the implications of massive slaver operations, interstellar gang politics, semi-theological discussions, and the existent of mostly-sapient AI to be incredibly compelling ideas to explore. Insofar as they directly affect laser-swords and spaceships going pew-pew.

I find the implications of the political slide, the ebb and flow, of the Galactic Empire and the New Republic over the course of decades to be rich in setting potential.

Because I'm a fucking nerd

The other few million people who saw the movie(s) don't give a shit, because they're not titanic giganerds. Including the writers and directors.

I'd love a dynamic political thriller set ten years after the battle of Jakku, featuring Mon Mothma and some stubborn Moff.

Because I'm a fucking nerd.

But I also feel like TFA was a widely enjoyable movie because it was shot well, acted well, and the immediate elements of the story (there are bad guys who do bad things, there are good guys who want to make bad things stop happening so much, somebody has magical powers and becomes a good guy; there's a bad guy with magical powers oh noooes!) are presented in broad, brilliantly-colored strokes punctuated by fun character moments.

And I feel like my nerdy-ass-nerdy desire for more in-depth lore exploration is... nerdy as shit, and entirely unnecessary to the telling of the story.

Ewoks are my favorite thing. Neither the vast majority of humans anywhere, nor this movie itself, give a single anemic fuck about Ewoks.

I am deeply confounded by how badly the new Jedi order failed, and that's fairly pertinent to the goings-on in this movie. But the lack of explanation does literally nothing to harm the narrative, except for failing to make it into completely different movie that I would also liked to have seen.

Which is exactly what the absence of political 'depth' does to TFA.

Absolutely. Nothing.

It might have been nice to world build just a little when you have a superweapon that destroys four planets.

Just saying. There was no emotional attachment at all, because 'politics bad'. Seriously, Disney had a divine mandate to keep it out of the new trilogy.

If Abrams had done the PT, we'd have no establishment of the Senate at all. Probably someone mentioning in passing that 'oh, that Palpatine guy just took over via a coup and now he's declaring an empire'. If that.

Scenes involving the New Republic Senate, or at least a character involved with them, were filmed and then cut. I assume for time. Or probably in favor of more laser-swords and pew-pre, because that's actually what Star Wars movies are about. Or possibly because a bunch of people who don't spend an appreciable quantity of time discussing galactic politics on the internet don't give a shit about that, and rightly surmised that vast, vast majority of filmgoers also don't.

Star Wars doesn't live and die on the wants of people obsessed with the minutiae of background elements. That's where the Expanded Universe, a give a hack writing and terrible bullshit, lives. No, Star Wars lives and does on the whims of people just like those who stepped into the theatre in 1977, not knowing or expecting anything. The people who walked away from those theaters in '77 and decided that they needed an explanation for every happenstance and detail are some of the earliest specimens of the real high-octane nerd shit that fuels wookipedia and memory alpha.

Also, the "establishment of the Senate" in the story... hell, the actual senatorial goings-on were the second, eh maybe third, worst part of the shit cookie that is the Prequel Trilogy. Just fucking awful.

Get hung up on that shit all you want, but that's 100% on what you want to see- not the quality of the film, and not the enjoy-ability of it for Literally Most Humans.

Belatedly... it very much does affect the quality of the film. TFA makes no attempt to explain how an Empire that was practically obliterated 20 odd years ago now has massive manpower and the ability to destroy multiple planets with ease, and again has the Rebellion'Resistance' on the run. The EU had the right of it. The New Republic is the main force, and the Empire has been reduced to a rag-tag militia. TFA either doesn't bother explaining the paradigm shift, or doesn't care to... or even worse, they planned to, and Disney made them cut it out. Whatever the excuse, it makes the final result a paper-thin excuse to ape ANH because there has to be a just has to be an outgunned bunch of rebels fighting a massive empire.

And what about Luke and all his Jedi? Oh, they're gone. Why? Better watch the sequel! We sure won't explain it here, unless you think a blurb of text and a few seconds of flashback is adequate development.

TFA has strong characters, but they're playing in a boring sandbox that's just a copy/paste of a far better film that came out decades earlier. It would have been better off being as far removed from the original trilogy as possible.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

To be fair, my dad used to do this to me, and he watches the movie. Then I started sitting separately from my parents, so he only did this to me after the movie was over.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    You could... actually just extrapolate the setting.

Like, real easy, from historical events on Real-Ass Earth.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

The World Wars

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    god this week

I'm so tired

I've had a death in the family and a few other tough things happen in the past couple weeks. I watched Your Name and it really helped.

This discussion has been closed.