As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dauntless] ver 1.0 live. Out on consoles now.. Switch version in the works.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Games and Technology
Did I just coin Monster Hunteralike? Damn right I did!

Will this be good? Who knows but we can hope?

So let's start off with the trailer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6FjLGqB-uc

and here's the website: https://playdauntless.com/

You can sign up for alpha and beta access there.

Right now there's not a whole lot of info aside of the basics. Four monsters are shown on the site and there's some gameplay. I'll update the OP as we move along with more game info but I wanted to get the discussion started.

Who want's to hunt slay some monsters?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't expect this to be good, but since it's F2P I'm happy to indulge in indolent hope! It could be great if they can live up to their promises. (Which I doubt they can.)

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Every once and a while one of these surprises us and is actually pretty decent. I can hope this does the same.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Ive been playing the chinese MHO on pc. Its a pretty excellent extension of MHDOS/FU

signed up for these alpha, fingers crossed

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Looks promising.

I especially like that they showed a guy with a proper axe. MH could use more axes.

• Options
    i hope i can charge up a GS type weapon

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Gun Hammer? Yes please.

• Options
    You know, as much as you love MH, you'll probably get more attention from other people by comparing this to Dark Souls rather than MH.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    But, it's far more like Monster Hunter?

I didn't get much Dark Souls vibe. Was I wrong?

Seidkona on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    But, it's far more like Monster Hunter?

I didn't get much Dark Souls vibe. Was I wrong?

The devs list their inspirations as Monster Hunter, Dark Souls and World of Warcraft, but it definitely looks more MH than the others.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Been waiting to see a western dev try their hand at the monster hunting genre and I'm 100% behind getting more hunting games on the PC.

Signed up and looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Nice to see they took the most important lesson from God Eater: Hammers are the only way to travel.

• Options
    Man. I don't want to imagine this might be good, because I will play it so much and spend so much money on it. Shut up and take my money.

• Options
    I could be seriously hurt by this game. I mean imagine if they do make enough weapons and craftables to be a deep and engrossing game and then I can pay $5 to add sweet dark glowey effects?

Yeah, wallet destroyer.

• Options
    Ive always wanted to give monsterer hunterer creators more money since i love this type of game

let me pay you

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    There is obviously a lot they can do wrong here. A lot of these games get the combat wrong (i.e. no hitstop) or the weapon variety is too low, etc.

There are a lot of ways this could go off the rails but I feel like if it doesn't this could be one hell of a game that will suck up a lot of my time.

I mean the devs seem to have a pedigree in good games so that might be a good sign.

I do look forward to learning more about the game and hopefully getting my hands on a beta or something.

• Options
    What else have the devs done?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    What else have the devs done?

It's a new shop comprised of Ex-Blizzard and Bioware devs and headed by a Former Senior dev on League of Legends.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Phoenix Labs themselves haven't really done anything as that name before. It's a 40 person studio that's been assembled from people with some name recognition at other places like Bioware and Riot. They highlight Jesse Houston, Sean Bender, and Robin Mayne as their founders. Jesse Houston's main claim to fame was as a producer/product manager at Riot; prior to that some producer time on Mass Effect 3. Sean Bender was the head of HR at Riot. Robin Mayne's resume is similar to Jesse Houston, Riot and Mass Effect 3 before it.

All told, there's nothing particularly confidence inspiring about them. They're a perky startup group of folks that did some other big name stuff and founded their own studio, but I don't see anything that screams, "Definitely can pull this off."

Probably hugely depends on what the team as a whole is able to perform.

Edit: Lots and lots of Riot staff came over, it looks like. That is a good sign for effective free to play design at least.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Oh yeah. I don't think it's in the same catagory as if Riot or whatever were doing it themselves.

But. . The people they have have made good games in the past so it's a bit positive. Though it doesn't always translate to a great game.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    My best guess: These guys will have a fantastic F2P offering, they'll really have a good monetization system down that is sexy but doesn't seem abusive.

They'll be further behind in development than they wanted to be by their planned launch date in 2017, so they'll go into an early access/founder's program in 2017 with a fairly sparse and buggy beta. We'll get $30, $60, $100 (or something like) founder's access packs offered on that planned date instead of the game like we're hoping. Then it'll be a gamble whether they can race to release a full product before they run out of good will of founder's and the initial burst of funding dries up. They might make it, they might not.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My best guess: These guys will have a fantastic F2P offering, they'll really have a good monetization system down that is sexy but doesn't seem abusive.

They'll be further behind in development than they wanted to be by their planned launch date in 2017, so they'll go into an early access/founder's program in 2017 with a fairly sparse and buggy beta. We'll get $30, $60, $100 (or something like) founder's access packs offered on that planned date instead of the game like we're hoping. Then it'll be a gamble whether they can race to release a full product before they run out of good will of founder's and the initial burst of funding dries up. They might make it, they might not.

Damn, I'm not going to lie, this is the most likely scenario.

If I was a betting man this is what I'd be placing my bets on.

Another aspect of this endeavor is that the games they are citing as their inspiration are somewhat niche games known for their, uh, hardcore-y-ness? Apart from WoW of course. Though their citing of WoW as an "inspiration" I think only goes so far as art-style and being an online multiplayer game with a somewhat persistent world.

Otherwise Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are known (and beloved) for their tendency to punish players who get greedy, impatient, or simply fail to prepare properly. That doesn't sound like something that can transfer to a F2P game if the Devs want broad appeal.

If the Devs recognize this and decide to make things more forgiving and/or easier then you risk losing the magic that makes games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls so great. Which may result in a kind of bland, if otherwise inoffensive, product.

Or the Devs plan to have F2P mechanics that allow the more greedy/impatient players to succeed which might raise a concern of P2W. Whether justified or not, that stigma is pretty bad to have.

Third option is that the Devs are well aware of who their market is and have budgeted themselves in such a way as to capitalize on a somewhat niche market allowing them to thrive though possibly never being "breakout success".

Regardless, I love me some Monster Hunter (and Dark Souls!) and would love to have a MMO-esque MH game to play with my buddies on PC (and yeah I know MHO is a thing). So I'll be hoping for the best with Dauntless.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't know both Dark Souls and Monster Hunter have been steadily increasing in popularity in the West.

There is a large market of people who like those games to tap into, I think.

The question is how well do they do in making a game that appeals to that group because there are some very large gotchas that cause a lot of clones of both games to fail.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    According to the devs over on gaf, they want hits to have a weighty impact to them.

Also about the f2p mechanics they said this:
    Dauntless will be Free to Play.

We are dedicated to never being "pay for power".

One of the cornerstones of Dauntless is player skill. Being able to pay to augment or enhance this creates an unfair and unfun dynamic. So, we will not do this.

• Options
    Those are good signs.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I never trust F2P claiming you can't pay to win, because that's almost universally not true when an f2p game releases.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    I never trust F2P claiming you can't pay to win, because that's almost universally not true when an f2p game releases.

It depends on the F2P game.

While I know a lot of F2P games can be bad there are some great examples of it being done well. League of Legends is one of them and one of the leads from that is on this so I think there's at least a chance it'll not be horrible.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    There better be small dog people that help you hunt in this.

Kaynyans.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

If you want a company to make you feel good about it, though, Riot will get you there. That's a good place to be thinking about f2p from.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

It depends on the F2P game.

while I know a lot of f2p games can be bad there are some great examples of it being done well. League of Legends is one of them and one of the leads from that is on this so I think there's at least a chance it'll not be horrible.

Most of the team are riot expats.

• Options

If you want a company to make you feel good about it, though, Riot will get you there. That's a good place to be thinking about f2p from.

Yeah I get that there are riot people on this team, but that doesn't mean their philosophy is the dominant one. Remains to be seen really.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Kaynyans.

fbf3537001b81c2d21e95df6e82d796e.jpg

I'll take 10, please and thank you.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Oh god warrior corgis? all my money.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Yeah I get that there are riot people on this team, but that doesn't mean their philosophy is the dominant one. Remains to be seen really.

Both of the co-CEO founders, the founder who is head of HR (so all founders), and most of the producers I've seen are ALL from Riot.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Kaynyans.

fbf3537001b81c2d21e95df6e82d796e.jpg

I'll take 10, please and thank you.

For the record, this specific art is not related to Dauntless.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    that hammer guy didnt use any lvl 3 charges!!!

also i think this is the second vod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_93VP4Q0d0

EDIT: the look of the game still feels a bit alien to me. too clean? everything is too clear and off colour? idk, its still an alpha

and it definitely needs hitstun

EDIT 2: looks like this is hammer moves set. i couldve sworn it had a lvl 3 charge mechanic?

72nrr0gj457l.png

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I think so far my biggest concern with this game is the monster design. It just looks super bland and uninteresting. Part of what I love about Monster Hunter is that the creatures in it feel very well thought out. I always loved the Monster Ecology videos that were in previous MH games.

That said it's still very early so perhaps well get some more interesting creatures.

It also feels very western so it lacks that quirky, not serious Japanese humor I so love about MH. Basically I'm like "its not MH" and that isn't fair, so I'll stop. It might be fun...well see.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, sorry bout that. Accidentally posted the same video twice.

I actually like the sort of colorful saturday morning/overwatch aesthetic they got going here. Kind of reminds me of Torchlight.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I like the owlbear. The giant pangolin is pretty boring though. Why is it just rolling over and over?

Also not a fan of the sound design so far. The blunt impacts and stomps in particular sound wrong somehow.