As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dauntless] ver 1.0 live. Out on consoles now.. Switch version in the works.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I hope we'll get more weapon types soonish, there's too much duplication in groups with just five types. And war pike seems rather popular, I frequently have at least two in a group. (OK, one of them is me.)

OlivawPolaritiedispatch.o
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I hope we'll get more weapon types soonish, there's too much duplication in groups with just five types. And war pike seems rather popular, I frequently have at least two in a group. (OK, one of them is me.)

At least warpike can wound and cut things off. I keep ending with 3 repeaters and me on hammer or chainblades. Not the best time.

PolaritieStupid
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

At least warpike can wound and cut things off. I keep ending with 3 repeaters and me on hammer or chainblades. Not the best time.

Yeah, its very versatile, very good at aiming for specific parts, and one of the best ways to break a specific part by wounding it then unloading max charged shots at them. Also boops good.

It makes up for lower damage output very nicely

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Just downloaded this to give it a try. Seems fun enough although I'm still very low on the totem pole.

Wouldn't say no to an invite either (although not entirely sure how it works).

Epic id = Rhotfyr

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

The content is definitely the area of the game I'm the most concerned with

It seems like there's only three or four monsters left that I haven't seen, according to the mastery menu, so that and the handful of weapon types means I'm gonna be kinda done with the game before this elite hunt pass expires

I'll be keeping an eye out for new content to drop, but I'm getting the feeling this'll be like Warframe for me, and I'll just drop in every six months to see all the new junk they've added in since

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    EchoCorporal Carl
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

I haven’t seen this, but I’m only at mid level content. Generally at least half my group is repeaters. I’d say by popularity what I see is Repeater >>> Axe = Hammer > Sword > War Pike = Chain Swords.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Stupid
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I don't know why anyone uses the sword

It's so boring

I mean granted I really like the hammer so maybe I shouldn't talk

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like the war pike, providing a public service by applying wounds to parts.

akjak

I feel the same way with hammer, "ok, I'll knock it down, basically the best thing as you can hit it while it can't hit...why are you standing in the...dying in the lava."

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Every party needs a good kneecap buster

I can't tell if my teammates just aren't seeing the wounds or are just ignoring them, but it doesn't seem to impact their behavior either way. I don't think I can recall a time where I've actually seen a teammate specifically go after an open wound.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

It's so boring

Its the best weapon to use if you dont know the monster's attack pattern or dont trust your teammates to either break a specific part or actually kill the damn thing.

steam_sig.png
    Banzai5150
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I can't tell if my teammates just aren't seeing the wounds or are just ignoring them, but it doesn't seem to impact their behavior either way. I don't think I can recall a time where I've actually seen a teammate specifically go after an open wound.

I think they could stand to make the wounds more visible.

Someone mentioned having a hard time hitting the sustained attack combos with pike or blades. I’ve also been having trouble, but sometimes I’ll wtart doing the sustained attack amidst my button-mashing and it’ll just keep going without me pressing anything. It doesn’t even drain my stamina, I’m just stuck doing rapid pokes or swings until I get hit and then I’m back to normal. Anyone else have that happen?

Darkewolfe
    So I have the impression the stagger meter regens over time, in addition to knowing it goes up after each successful stagger. Do the wound meters on each part also have some regen to them? I feel like I don't get as many smoking wounds as I should, just the normal scarring. (Or my graphic settings are turned down or something) I guess I could try and test this on a lesser gnasher or something but that sounds like work.

KalTorak wrote: »

I think they could stand to make the wounds more visible.

Someone mentioned having a hard time hitting the sustained attack combos with pike or blades. I’ve also been having trouble, but sometimes I’ll wtart doing the sustained attack amidst my button-mashing and it’ll just keep going without me pressing anything. It doesn’t even drain my stamina, I’m just stuck doing rapid pokes or swings until I get hit and then I’m back to normal. Anyone else have that happen?

Hitting light attack (poke) should get you out of that.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the game pushing you toward patrols because of the bonus while also giving you fights that make you total dead weight because you get 2 hit by the monster feels like truly bad design.

basically just quit a match after getting down instantly every time the monster breathed on me. just not fun.

I'd be curious what you're fighting and what you're wearing. Only monsters you've unlocked are available in patrols, and generally speaking if you had appropriate gear to beat the previous "tier" of monster without major issues you should only be a little underpowered compared to the monsters you just unlocked. Certainly nothing like a two shot, unless you switched to much lower level gear.

I just fought a deadeye quillshot (recommended 400/400) at 300/340 and it was plenty doable as long as I was a little cautious.

Edit: Even if you can't get your target gearset to level appropriate because you can't fight the dire equivalent yet, you should be able to fight something else with a lower threat level. Valomyr is pretty easy to get +7 gear from as a starting point.

I definitely unlocked Hellion/Pangar/Drask(?) before I was really ready to face them on patrol.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    What does the loot treadmill look like when you start? I have the ability out of the gate to craft a bunch of different things and it is not clear whether I should be looking to upgrade things right away. If I'm getting quests with 150 gear score recommendations and my current score is 100, does that mean I should upgrade things (and I have to choose which flavor), or will I get better options that I can craft that start at a higher gear score?

Does gear come from anywhere other than crafting?

Any recommendations on what I should craft/upgrade first? I have seen some recommendation that starting with just neutral items can limit the spending at first since they'll work ok for everything, rather than needing to upgrade multiple sets of elements out of the gate.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    cncaudata wrote: »
    What does the loot treadmill look like when you start? I have the ability out of the gate to craft a bunch of different things and it is not clear whether I should be looking to upgrade things right away. If I'm getting quests with 150 gear score recommendations and my current score is 100, does that mean I should upgrade things (and I have to choose which flavor), or will I get better options that I can craft that start at a higher gear score?

Does gear come from anywhere other than crafting?

Any recommendations on what I should craft/upgrade first? I have seen some recommendation that starting with just neutral items can limit the spending at first since they'll work ok for everything, rather than needing to upgrade multiple sets of elements out of the gate.

Yeah, neutral works well off the bat, especially when trying different weapon types out.

Element advantage adds a good bit. And elemental is basically the same as neutral on enemies outside its pairing (the elements are all opposing pairs where you want armor of one and weapon of the other to optimize).

Neutral monsters are also weaker overall generally.

The actual gear treadmill is:
    Hunt a monster for parts to make their gear
    Run patrols to get orbs to upgrade it
    Hunt the dire form of the monster to get parts to upgrade to +6 (no dire forms for stuff that starts at that tier like riftstalker)
    Run patrols for orbs again
    More mats for +8...
    etc...

+7 all is where I'm at for my best stuff and that handles everything up through Koshai fine.

Grundlestiltskinakjak
    Man that is two Deadeye Quillshots in a row where I know we broke at least one tusk off, but I didn't get any tusk drops. That is not ideal.

Man that is two Deadeye Quillshots in a row where I know we broke at least one tusk off, but I didn't get any tusk drops. That is not ideal.

That's hunting games for ya.

DarkewolfeIanator
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the monster i was trying to fight was some lightning guy with recommended twice my equipment. threat was extreme in the lobby, but i couldn't back out or anything so basically had to go ruin people's game with my corpse until i was so ashamed i alt f4ed the game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    the monster i was trying to fight was some lightning guy with recommended twice my equipment. threat was extreme in the lobby, but i couldn't back out or anything so basically had to go ruin people's game with my corpse until i was so ashamed i alt f4ed the game.

I believe you can quit the game while still in the lobby without adding the health multiplier for their hunt.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I believe you can quit the game while still in the lobby without adding the health multiplier for their hunt.

i guess if i had alt f4ed? i couldn't find a "oh god please don't make me do this" option. either way it's not great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Yeah, later monster unlocks are gated behind having minimum levels of armor and weapon (e.g. dire stuff wont unlock until you have 300/300), but they could do with gating the stronger early stuff that way too.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

When I was at that point I ran a couple neutral patrols for neutral orbs to upgrade my Gnasher armor. It takes 8 orbs to get a piece of gear up to +5, so a bonus patrol will get you almost 3 pieces up to +5. I think you'll have Gnasher, Quillshot, and Shrike in your neutral pool.

Gnasher is a good first set since it's neutral and comes with some natural toughness points.

edited June 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, later monster unlocks are gated behind having minimum levels of armor and weapon (e.g. dire stuff wont unlock until you have 300/300), but they could do with gating the stronger early stuff that way too.

I think they're gated behind quests to kill certain monsters, right? I would assume the idea is that you unlock one set, gear until you can fight them relatively safely, then complete their quests and move onto the next set. I guess it would be possible to end up in a scenario where you end up against monsters that destroy you if you're completing quests while increasingly undergeared. To your point, it would probably make sense to add gear gates to some of those quests as well so you're never more than 50-100 power under something you can get in a patrol.

Grundlestiltskin on
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think they're gated behind quests to kill certain monsters, right? I would assume the idea is that you unlock one set, gear until you can fight them relatively safely, then complete their quests and move onto the next set. I guess it would be possible to end up in a scenario where you end up against monsters that destroy you if you're completing quests while increasingly undergeared.

Later quests have explicit "equip X power of armor" and "equip X power weapon" goals.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would like Dire/Heroic versions of Drask, Skraev, and Stormclaw myself, because hunting the regular kind and hoping for epic drops is balls.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, here's a "fun" thing I learned!

If you fail a patrol, it uses up one of your daily patrol bonuses without giving you orbs!

Yayyyyy

Evil MultifariousDarkewolfeCorporal CarlOlivawDjiem
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Speaking of fun things learned

As a hammer user, if you sprint while reloading it consumes no stamina

Doubt it's intentional but pretty nifty

Carpy
    Cool that PlayStation is advertising this but that gif don't match their list and only one Behemoth on their list is even remotely fun to fight.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Cool that PlayStation is advertising this but that gif don't match their list and only one Behemoth on their list is even remotely fun to fight.

The second Axe special makes embermane very fun.

psn: PhasenWeeple
    Carpy
    Phasen wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

Snip

The second Axe special makes embermane very fun.

Even without it Embermane is the only one I'd want to fight. I need to farm Dreadfrost Boreus to upgrade a bunch of Frost weapons and I've been putting it off for days. Riftstalker axe has a cool effect but I just downed it for the first time yesterday and not ready to contemplate grinding out parts for it.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Boreus is an awful fight, yeah.

It's basically just a bunch of busy work mid-fight.

Evil Multifarious on
    McMoogleCarpyBrodyPolaritieOlivaw
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

It's so boring

Hammer is only boring if you're not using its mechanics.

EDIT: Stop putting apostrophes in the word 'its' when it's not a contraction dummy! /self

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Dauntless has some free rewards through Twitch Prime Loot:

Dauntless_NEW_Dauntless_Drop1_Crown-2x._CB1559765562_.jpg

Unlock a piece of the Desperado armor set, plus a purple dye, the "Desperado" title, and a helpful supply pack with 30-day patrol boost.

akjakMcMoogleBanzai5150OlivawBlackDragon480IanatorDaenris
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I’ve been looking at that 30-day patrol boost. Glad I didn’t buy it

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Banzai5150
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Dauntless has some free rewards through Twitch Prime Loot:

Dauntless_NEW_Dauntless_Drop1_Crown-2x._CB1559765562_.jpg

Unlock a piece of the Desperado armor set, plus a purple dye, the "Desperado" title, and a helpful supply pack with 30-day patrol boost.

Yoink!

Thank ye kindly.

steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    i have a very simple formula for telling if a scorchstone hellion hunt will go well, am I the only one prepared i.e with molten heart gear/cells? yes? ok gg we lose because I am terrible, and yuou other people who are somehow worse than me will take all my molten hearts i need to maybe possibly carry us and get me killed while you do nothing. /endrant

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    so what does it mean when a damage number has an exclamation point on it? I thought my Riftstrike was dealing like 2k damage but now that I look closely it looks more like 215! damage or something.