As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I never knew how much I wanted hellish tactical skeleton soldier dimensional horror mailman game.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    This is the greatest thing I've ever seen:

https://youtu.be/0otXs1LGcp4

237.jpg

Okay, so apparently Kojima's assistant Ayako found that picture and sent it to him, and he retweeted it as well. :D

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Really? His full name is Sam Porter Bridges? Sam Carrier Connector? Okay. I'm okay with that.

Maybe you're named after the organization you work for. BRIDGES is absolutely the group he's linked up with. Sam Porter though is definitely on the nose. Also the tough as nails Fragile (who I didn't immediately recognize as the way too cute record seller in Midnight In Paris or the kick ass villian in Ghost Protocol who had a kicking good end).
    mxmarks wrote: »
    One thing I can't shake is that...

CONAN O BRIEN IS GONNA BE IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

He went to Japan, he was IN KojiPro studios, and in a live chat about his Japan visit he said he wasn't allowed to talk about meeting Kojima.

ITS SOMEWHERE IN HERE.

I mean there's an O'Brien in the credits.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Death Stranding is about making friends.
    People have created “Walls” and become accustomed to living in isolation.

“Death Stranding” is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the “Strand” or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

So we will be playing as Herman Meetus and baby on a happy jaunt across America having adventures and getting into hijinks and getting sucked into ghost-hell WW1 by ethereal shadow monsters and learning the true value of friendship along the way.

See at first I was like, "nah, I don't need to update the thread title" but now I'm like... nah, I do.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The ladder excites me. I’m excited to see Kojima’s take on how best to traverse an open world.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    It's nice finally seeing gameplay and it actually being a game. I do wonder what the actual stealth mechanics are since it seemed to be very light on UI mechanics and had the main character running basically in the middle of the ghostthings.

I really hope it delivers a good story, and not just a weird one. I guess Kojima always delivers something unique at least.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I would absolutely buy a briefcase deployable ladder.

What if you like, set it on the ground and then stood on it and activated the ladder part could you use it to fire yourself up into the air like a rocket?

• Options
    I didn't find this out, but sonofabitch, he DID IT AGAIN.

n6uy8xp7m8131.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c52979a3b630ed3792382c4e5a58b37c9818425f

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    also ooh, the japanese trailer has like 30 more seconds of footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZLa1Z9-M8

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am actually kind of excited for a game like this not connected to an aesthetic I find kind of... repulsive?

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    that throwable stepladder is compelling in a way I wouldn’t have expected. I don’t know if it will succeed but a surface read of the footage makes me want to suggest a game that’s part Metal Gear, part Dark Souls, and part Breath of the Wild.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Got around to watching it last night, the segment of melee combat looked really bland, so I really hope this game ends up being almost exclusively exploration and stealth where an alert doesn’t just mean ‘okay time to slaughter everyone’. The narrative trappings look like precisely what I want, which is a totally unintelligible fever dream.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    It seems to be an evolution of the Dark Souls idea of death, in that failure flips you out of the "real" world and into "hades" where you have to fight your way back. Presumably there are going to be either story or gameplay consequences or both for failing too often.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The melee combat looked to me like something you're supposed to avoid engaging in. The brief clip of shooting the guy in a trench looked uninspired, but it's also pretty hard to judge without a controller in hand (also, it's like 4 secs of footage).

The "boss fight" shown in the Japanese trailer looks cool, but also, no idea what it is the player would be doing during it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    vrgm47blo1ex.jpg

Is the giant flaming whale back?!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    vrgm47blo1ex.jpg

I don't think he would be compelled to add all of the Moby Dick shit in again like a Freshman trying to pad out his paper, buy who knows.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I mean whale imagery, specifically stranded whales, had been imagery for the game for awhile now.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    I mean whale imagery, specifically stranded whales, had been imagery for the game for awhile now.

I've been playing MGSV a bunch, and the actual gameplay is great, but everything else is.... not my cup of tea.

But yes, you are coorrect. Kojima loves him some whales, I guess.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So, the major complaint I'm seeing is that the female characters are... typically Kojima. Which. Yep. They really are. ("Fragile?" Seriously?)

For me, I'm still interested in all the Weird Shit, because I love Weird Shit, and I like that Kojima's at least trying to shake things up with his concept of connection as central gameplay ethos. And I'm kind of hoping that maybe Del Toro can gently smack him upside the head when he gets too gross about the female characters and go "Hey. Hey. Women are people, not weird symbolic archetypes, you dumb butthead." But I'm not optimistic.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    The melee combat looked to me like something you're supposed to avoid engaging in. The brief clip of shooting the guy in a trench looked uninspired, but it's also pretty hard to judge without a controller in hand (also, it's like 4 secs of footage).

The "boss fight" shown in the Japanese trailer looks cool, but also, no idea what it is the player would be doing during it.

It sounds from other things like you are actively trying to avoid killing anyone. Considering that your enemy looks to be recruiting an army in hell, that makes sense.

• Options
    So, the major complaint I'm seeing is that the female characters are... typically Kojima. Which. Yep. They really are. ("Fragile?" Seriously?)

For me, I'm still interested in all the Weird Shit, because I love Weird Shit, and I like that Kojima's at least trying to shake things up with his concept of connection as central gameplay ethos. And I'm kind of hoping that maybe Del Toro can gently smack him upside the head when he gets too gross about the female characters and go "Hey. Hey. Women are people, not weird symbolic archetypes, you dumb butthead." But I'm not optimistic.

Technically "FRAGILE" is the name of the company she works for. As it, "Package fragile, handle with care."

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    vrgm47blo1ex.jpg

Previous scenes from the death world(?) have had it be underwater with various stuff floating around, so maaaaybe it's that (or maybe one of those huge ghosts is doing one of those void-out things where gravity goes nuts)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Technically "FRAGILE" is the name of the company she works for. As it, "Package fragile, handle with care."

So... she doesn't have a name of her own? That's not really helping.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part about this game so far, is that it takes place in America yet you are clearly making your way across what is Irish or Scottish countryside.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

We do not have enough information yet to make these judgements. There seems to be quite a few female characters and they're all looking to be better than Quiet so far!

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Before we go down that rabbit hole, let's remember that Solid Snake is not the real name of Metal Gear protagonist Snake.

There is also a character named Die-Hardman. So I feel safe in saying this is not a gender thing, this is a Kojima thing.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kojima doesn't have the best record with female characters, is the thing.

• Options
    If you are wrong, will you regret your words and deeds?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Before we go down that rabbit hole, let's remember that Solid Snake is not the real name of Metal Gear protagonist Snake.

There is also a character named Die-Hardman. So I feel safe in saying this is not a gender thing, this is a Kojima thing.

What's wrong with “The Hardman”?

• Options

Considering my strongest emotional reaction to MGSV so far is "Regret my Words and Deeds? Go fuck yourself, Kojima", probably not.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

We do not have enough information yet to make these judgements. There seems to be quite a few female characters and they're all looking to be better than Quiet so far!

Like that's a bar to aspire to.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Considering my strongest emotional reaction to MGSV so far is "Regret my Words and Deeds? Go fuck yourself, Kojima", probably not.

Quiet's stuff isn't even the worst of it in MGSV as far as female characters go.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Off hand, what would you say is worse?

I watched a playthrough of the entire game. I'd say she gets obvious attention (errr) visually, but frankly, I barely remember that many other female characters in the game, let alone more outstandingly questionable character/design choices. But it was a really long playthrough and I admit I wasn't exactly watching in rapt awe and taking notes. :-P

Refresh my memory?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It doesnt change the “ugh Kojima” of it all but it is very heavily implied that your name in this post apocalyptic world is just a name, your job, your company.

His name is Sam Porter Bridges and he works for Bridges.

I’m sure Fragiles name is something Boss Fragile because it’s implied she owns the company in that one trailer where she tries to recruit Sam to work for her.

In that same trailer she also has a crazy suit with retractable death spikes.

So while it’s still not a great look it’s miles ahead of Quiet.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The "retractable death spikes" looked like they might just be some kind of ferrofluid? That might just be aesthetics, though.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Maybe. The way they came out at the end when she was leaving seemed like “I’m going back out there and don’t want anything to try to touch me” to me. But I see it your way now too. Hmm.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Off hand, what would you say is worse?

I watched a playthrough of the entire game. I'd say she gets obvious attention (errr) visually, but frankly, I barely remember that many other female characters in the game, let alone more outstandingly questionable character/design choices. But it was a really long playthrough and I admit I wasn't exactly watching in rapt awe and taking notes. :-P

Refresh my memory?
    Paz, the character who is an adult woman but looks like a prepubescent girl, is captured, sexually assaulted, and then dies because the bomb they put in her vagina goes off.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    expecting kojima to write non-terrible female characters is like expecting a dog to ride a skateboard

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii