Options

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well they did put out that hour of gameplay from the tokyo thing but that wasn't really in the trailers, yeah.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    Kojima has some thoughts on American response to Death Stranding:
    I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.

As an American, let me just say... yeah, Americans are generally just into violent shoot all the mans with no interest in teamwork or cooperative play, because the ego of an average American demands military power fantasy. Then again, I AM an American so I'm also being unamerican. Damn you America!

This sounds completely to me like Kojima just has his head lodged his head so far up his ass that he can have a face-to-face chat with his death gut baby. "It flies higher"? A painfully passive-aggressive comment about how Americans just don't "get" his game? What a load of bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game, but there's no way I could reasonably rate it higher than a 6.5-7 at this point. It's just so obvious that the bulk of the effort went into the cutscenes and not the gameplay, even though the gameplay is where the player will spend most of the game. For a game about getting around, the movement system is janky and unreliable as fuck; I've completely lost track of the bizarre physics-defying leaps and stops I've had while driving vehicles, and the game doesn't seem to have an animation for handling short, steep drops. You just sort of teleport to the ground, sometimes splattering and sometimes walking along as if nothing has happened. I'm also getting really really sick and tired of having my Strand out for combat, using it to counter one guy, knocking the guy out... and then the awful controls have me pick up MULE's fucking briefcase off the ground when I actually just want to prep my Strand for the next enemy attack. And the menu-diving is absolutely fucking incessant, with a ridiculous amount of time spent on confirming confirmations and stupid pointless little cutscenes for moving cargo.

On top of that, there's the fact that English is the primary languages for the game, so Americans are also going to be able to fully "appreciate" just how much of wank-fest Kojima dialogue is. About the nicest thing I can say on that front is that Kojima seems to have at least finally learned something about pacing, so the game doesn't seem to shove 45 straight minutes of exposition at you and instead will break it up decently. Can't say I'm seeing anything impressive about the writing itself, it's just the usual long-winded Kojima stuff plus the usual Kojima jargon; the main voice actors are doing a good job on delivery, though. And Kojima, as always, has no actual idea how to actually be subtle while writing dialogue that thinks it is subtle.

The game is definitely nowhere near a zero, but neither is it any sort of transcendant work like Kojima has convinced himself it is. It's a solid game with issues and a looooot of room for subjectivity when it comes to actually enjoying it.

EDIT: And the blowback would be a whole lot less right now if the advertising had bothered to convey anything meaningful about the gameplay, because then people would not have bought the game expecting a Kojima combat-related game and instead getting a delivery simulator.

Not having a UPS or FedEx sponsorship is a huge missed opportunity. "Post apocalypse FedEx guy" sums it up perfectly and makes more sense than Monster Energy drinks

Lirik's DS stream is titled Amazon one day delivery simulator.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, they really really needed to have done something to convey they gameplay instead of telling us basically nothing and letting everybody assume it was going to the same sort of thing Kojima has made before.

Every single gameplay video that was put out about the game made it clear what kind of game this would be. I can accept someone not being down with the gameplay loop, however Kojima has been up front about exactly what kind of game he was making; it was the community that INSISTED that there was something more that Kojima was hiding for the full gameplay release.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    LqJz3SN.gif

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The man practically built a reputation massively based on misdirection and the ol' "bait and switch". You can't exactly play the "Boy who cried wolf" card now.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    82538%20-%20artist%3An0stranger%20game%3Aluigis_mansion%20luigi%20streamer%3Avinny.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The vehicle control is giving me no end of frustration, which is not great at all when the gameplay is centered entirely on transporting things. They can print shit up from whatever, but have only one actual truck design and one terribad motorcycle design? On top of that, the truck is really top-heavy AND automatically lifts up even higher in water, which is absolutely the last fucking place you want a truck to become unstable. Then the motorcycle has some sort of bizarre reverse limited-slip differential where all the power keeps going to the tire that doesn't need traction; just give us a damn four-wheel ATV and be done with it, instead of this near-torqueless jumped-up scooter.

The bike in particular likes to flip-flop between "I'm stuck on a pebble" and "I'm launching us thirty feet up and sixty feet out because I clipped a rock when I jumped". If the bike has enough juice to launch me from 0 to 60 in about a second because of some wheelspin, then why the fuck does the front tire constantly get stuck against teeny rocks because I'm not popping a wheelie every half-second? Surely they didn't give porters an offroad motorbike without AWD or 2WD?

For a game about transporting shit, I get the strong suspicion that Kojima hasn't ever actually driven an offroad vehicle to see why the vehicle designs in the game are so utterly stupid.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I would say Death Stranding can take some getting used to because it's so positive. Like every person you meet sends you e-mails fellating your ego, everyone is so happy to see "the legend"ary postman. The e-mails in particular you'd be embarrassed to write to someone you were in love with they're so sugary. I get what it is going for, it's trying to be a more positive game than shooting terrorists in a home invasion, but for such a cynical society it can be a hard sell.

• Options
    Can you change your outfit colour (not the accessories) or is literally restricted by the setup of orange for corpse disposal, red for medical, etc?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Genius. :lol: This isn't actually all that far off. You actually use Gooigi to find Big Boo's (BB's) in LM3. The 'Goo' in the container that Gooigi is made from acts like a scanner; making the controller gently vibrate when you're near their hiding spots.
    ItsAllConnected.gif :surprised: :P :snap:

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Can you change your outfit colour (not the accessories) or is literally restricted by the setup of orange for corpse disposal, red for medical, etc?

I believe you can unlock alt colours, but they're late or post game stuff.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Number of episodes and missions under spoiler.
    So I read there are 70 missions and 14 episodes. Is that correct? If so I am very interested to see how the back half of the the episodes play out because it is clearly different than the front half. I am currently in episode 6 on mission 53. So still have to finish an entire extra chapter before I hit the halfway point there... but will only have 15 or fewer missions left by that point(some of which could still be non-required side missions even)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    We have come a long way from this:

7lBgI7w.jpg

And yet, despite the game already being out, we still don't fucking know, either.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Well, having beaten the game,
    I do know! I know EVERYTHING. Okay not everything. But most things!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So its been a week or so. Does anyone know what the game is about yet?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    So its been a week or so. Does anyone know what the game is about yet?

It's a package delivery hiking simulator. Also it's been like 4 days.

And story wise,
    It's about extinction events and life continuing on despite them.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    You may know how the fuck but you don't know what the fuck.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I made it to Ch. 3 last night after 15 hours. . .and I wasn't seeing the slog. The "reward" for getting to Ch. 3 seems cool, but you figured that was going to be in the game at some point, however it's not particularly "game changing" for me.

I can see if someone was playing this in a compressed setting knowing that a review had to go up in a week or so how the gameplay loop could have been a bit much with a limited toolset, but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy figuring out how to efficiently (and sometimes barely) do some of these deliveries: my "favorites" were The Musician, who gives you 50KG's of sheet music (ok) to deliver. I stupidly loaded myself up without legitimately asking "You barely made it to this guys hovel w/o any weight on you. . .how are you going to get this stuff out?" (I didn't and ended up falling off the cliff, down into the lake and washed up ashore), or The Wind Farm and choosing to precariously scale sheer mountain cliffs using a ton of ropes and ladders for about 30 minutes all to avoid a, realistically, 10/15 minute sneak through BT Forest #1.

. . .and then there's all the little penny-ante deliveries in the meantime that are just cool to veg out to. It's definitely not the perfect game I think it could be, but it's easily in my top 5 games this year (unless it completely and utterly crashes off the tracks).

• Options
    edited November 2019
    https://youtu.be/eYLpTrkePvQ

olololo

I'm dying...

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I feel like a lot of the slog would be at least semi self inflected by just doing shit tons of optional stuff. So if that stuff feels like a slog just like, don't do it and just play the main story? That seems to keep throwing new stuff at you fairly regularly. I only have about 16/17 hours played according to my clock and I'm in episode 6 already. Which seems to be (length spoiler maybe?)
    75% of the way through the missions

• Options
    I'm still in chapter 3 but if say there just isn't a driving conflict. I'm not even sure if
    Amelia is his sister or bio mum since Bridgette was called his mum as well.

I'm also getting a bit tired of the art aesthetic of the futuristic design after mgs4 through to V. And roads are getting really hard to create without others contributing. I'm still playing the heck out of it though.

• Options
    I beelined through as much as possible and my final completion clock came in at
    34 hours
    playing on hard. Which, from what I understand, is pretty damn fast compared to a lot of other folks.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Do you ever get to listen to music on the go a la MGSV? Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Also, (Chapter 2)
    I didn't see the printer item in the MULE mailbox...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I've been doing pretty much ALL the optional stuff. . .I mean the stupid terminal keeps screaming "Updated Orders!" at you when you make a delivery. It's a never-ending cycle. Then my inner hoarder kicks in when I see all these lost packages. . .I've got to get them where they were going!

Ah shit. . .I might be a MULE.

• Options
    My game so far having just started chapter 3 has contained too much of grabbing all the packages in the shared storage locker and then comically stacking them on my back until it's maxed out and with one in each hand and then up a menu level to turn it all in. So far I haven't accidentally exited all the way out which I'm surely would have a comic outcome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This game is fun actually

• Options
    Making use of the free vehicles that people leave in garages makes everything go so much faster. Just remember you can smash X to defy physics and get them over all sorts of terrain. Especially snow. Mountains can no longer contain you.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I stole a truck from the MULEs and because it seems like everyone is really big on building roads this has been an immeasurable boon.

Winky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I can't help but feel like he somehow snuck the FOX Engine out of Konami when they weren't looking, because this game feels a lot like an evolution of MGSV.

(I've been to that stupid camp three times now, and still can't find the Chiral Printer...)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I climbed up so many mountains on a trike. You definitely shouldn't be able to do that, but with wheelies and the jump button, you definitely can.

Oh, and here's a fun fact a lot of you probably didn't notice. One of the things you can do on foot is
    fucking double jump. NORMAN CAN DOUBLE JUMP. I'm not sure if it works if you have power legs on, but if you get going at a sprint and leap, there's a prompt for double jumping.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I climbed up so many mountains on a trike. You definitely shouldn't be able to do that, but with wheelies and the jump button, you definitely can.

Oh, and here's a fun fact a lot of you probably didn't notice. One of the things you can do on foot is
    fucking double jump. NORMAN CAN DOUBLE JUMP. I'm not sure if it works if you have power legs on, but if you get going at a sprint and leap, there's a prompt for double jumping.

because ghosts

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Just got to the start of chapter four. Holy crap.
    The cutscene with Oil-Mads and his WW2 skeleton troopers is probably the coolest thing this game has done so far. It makes no sense to me but I'm totally on board.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I haven't bothered trying to get the Trike up mountains. . .inevitably you're going to run through BT territory and even on flat surfaces that thing can not outrun a BT once it's in pursuit mode.

. . .still I'm seeing ladders and climbing anchors in places where I'm SURE they shouldn't be - so nothing is out of the ordinary with this game and it's traversal.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    I haven't bothered trying to get the Trike up mountains. . .inevitably you're going to run through BT territory and even on flat surfaces that thing can not outrun a BT once it's in pursuit mode.

. . .still I'm seeing ladders and climbing anchors in places where I'm SURE they shouldn't be - so nothing is out of the ordinary with this game and it's traversal.

You either go wide(because the bike is so much faster you still make better time on a long trip) or just drive straight through and every time they pop up you hop off, deal with them then drive off. Which is still faster than sneak walking through the area/trudging through snow.

• Options
    I'm still at the point in the game where every encounter with BTs is incomprehensible terror.

I like that the mechanics behind them and sensing them is largely inscrutable starting out. Why is my baby freaking out? What is going on? Where am I going all of a sudden? Why is there a shark here?

Why is there a shark here?

• Options
    I also like that MULEs are literally a cargo cult

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Chapter 3+ spoiler
    I finally took on the task to reclaim a delivery from MULEs. Those assholes had a truck!
    Now I have a truck.

But Bridges won't let me park my new vehicle for repairs, and as a "reward" they gave me plans to make a new bike.

You jerks, didn't you just watch me haul in six XL canisters for you?! Let me put this damn truck in the garage!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Finally completed the road to South Knot. Gonna make travelling far less tedious in that area. They're pretty cheeky with these roads, they take huge resources and some give you a large stretch of highway and others go about 100 yards.

• Options
    Anyone else who has gotten all the way west
    the big floating blobs are totally way up in the clouds and the reason there's big strands floating down from the sky, right?