Options

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Well learnt a important tip. Using a truck? The boot has lights at the back to show how much room left it can store. Not the best indicator but better than guessing which is what I’ve been doing for ages.

Also yeah made five zip lines to go around the wind farm and a couple too some of hard to reach places. Hopefully it helps someone.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Well learnt a important tip. Using a truck? The boot has lights at the back to show how much room left it can store. Not the best indicator but better than guessing which is what I’ve been doing for ages.

Also yeah made five zip lines to go around the wind farm and a couple too some of hard to reach places. Hopefully it helps someone.

Even then it's difficult to tell because you have to factor in what you've got on your back.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah it’s still not great but you can shove everything on you first into the van and count the lights then you have a idea of what’s the limit.

Also didn’t realize in the cargo menu the circle and x symbols under his avatar show Sams center of gravity and balance.

• Options
    So one nuisance and the tradeoff with fighting the boss BT.

I decided to fight the Weather Station area BTs, and it took ages and lods of custom grenades (might be because it's on hard), clearer the area, it was all pretty and got tonnes of crystals. It reset within 5 minutes. Plus BB got Autotoxemia fighting it.

The effort it takes, it really should clear those areas out for a good few hours.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Started playing this last night. I got grabbed by the BTs on my first encounter, and the combination of the horror visuals and the wailing controller was enough to make me quit back out to the main menu. Like, that is really off-putting! Please tell me there's some way to keep BB from crying every time I'm in a stealth encounter because that's an extremely unpleasant thing to have to listen to that often for a game of this length.

I reloaded, caused another alert, but managed to escape the ground grabber guys. I didn't realize you could actually escape them the first time. So that's this game's multi-stage failure condition? Weird, but I'll take it.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    Started playing this last night. I got grabbed by the BTs on my first encounter, and the combination of the horror visuals and the wailing controller was enough to make me quit back out to the main menu. Like, that is really off-putting! Please tell me there's some way to keep BB from crying every time I'm in a stealth encounter because that's an extremely unpleasant thing to have to listen to that often for a game of this length.

I reloaded, caused another alert, but managed to escape the ground grabber guys. I didn't realize you could actually escape them the first time. So that's this game's multi-stage failure condition? Weird, but I'll take it.

You can switch it from the controller to the TV output if you would prefer. But the uncomfortable crying is kinda the point!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    There are some Kojima-ass cutscenes in this game. Junk Dealer stuff:
    I think I about died then Norman gave a big thumbs up to the Junk Dealer couple and it did the big stupid heart thing.

That's all a warm up for Chapter - 7, I think? - Heartman, though. Holy shit Kojima, you stupid nerd, just make more stuff like this, you silly bastard.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    There are some Kojima-ass cutscenes in this game. Junk Dealer stuff:
    I think I about died then Norman gave a big thumbs up to the Junk Dealer couple and it did the big stupid heart thing.

That's all a warm up for Chapter - 7, I think? - Heartman, though. Holy shit Kojima, you stupid nerd, just make more stuff like this, you silly bastard.

I think Heartman
    has the absolute best character section of anyone you meet. His whole place is rad.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

You can take him off your suit with the left button and rock him, if you are in a safer spot. Not the best idea if you scanner is flashing orange, though.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm finding this game to be crazy addictive. Gotta get all them stars!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Wrapped up Outer Worlds last night so I can really focus on this (at least until Fallen Order drops Thursday night). Hoping to make some good story progress tonight.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Starting to get notification that structures in the first region are deteriorating. Not a fan of that, especially roads, they're really hard to build Nd the you have to maintain them on top. I know it's over a huge period of time but still. If I log off for a week will things be broken unless someone maintained them?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Wrapped up Outer Worlds last night so I can really focus on this (at least until Fallen Order drops Thursday night). Hoping to make some good story progress tonight.

Thursday AM if you're going PC or Xbox. I had to put TOW aside in favor of RDR2 and Death Stranding. I feel like DS is a game I want to stretch out for awhile; given that it's not an RPG it should be really easy to hop back in between RDR2 and Fallen Order for a few story deliveries.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just got to Chapter 3, am wondering...
    Higgs refers to "the girl" as an Extinction Entity, who is he talking about? Amelie or Fragile? Didn't quite catch the context. Anyone got their interpretation of that comment? Perhaps its meant to be ambiguous in classic Kojima fashion...

In reply to an earlier post...
    If I log off for a week will things be broken unless someone maintained them?

Yep, unfortunately. Though if your structures are useful I assume someone will try to maintain them if they see them severely damaged. Community spirit and all that.

suprachromat on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I

hate

the

rain.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just got to Chapter 3, am wondering...
    Higgs refers to "the girl" as an Extinction Entity, who is he talking about? Amelie or Fragile? Didn't quite catch the context. Anyone got their interpretation of that comment? Perhaps its meant to be ambiguous in classic Kojima fashion...

In reply to an earlier post...
    If I log off for a week will things be broken unless someone maintained them?

Yep, unfortunately. Though if your structures are useful I assume someone will try to maintain them if they see them severely damaged. Community spirit and all that.

That's pretty shitty. I mean I assume it's only in Timefall areas (which is most areas), but the bases stand just fine, so once built roads should stick around. Ladders and ropes, whatever, but roads especially? It's taken me hours and I'm barely at South Knot.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @suprachromat It's (ending spoilers):
    (seriously this is a HUGE spoiler)
    Amelie.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Deterioration is a game mechanic first and foremost so that the entire shared world doesn't turn into a junkyard or a smooth concrete slab after months of player additions.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    That's pretty shitty. I mean I assume it's only in Timefall areas (which is most areas), but the bases stand just fine, so once built they should stick around. Ladders and ropes, whatever, but roads especially? It's taken me hours and I'm barely at South Knot.

Keep in mind that the larger the structures the more durability they have and the longer it takes. For the larger structures it takes a long time to degrade to the point where they break, so unless you're completely inactive and no one cares about your structures, you should easily be able to maintain them long term if you and others put any effort in.

• Options
    Deterioration is a game mechanic first and foremost so that the entire shared world doesn't turn into a junkyard or a smooth concrete slab after months of player additions.

Maybe, but you can remove other peoples items from your world, and you yourself are limited in what you can build and where. Given how important roads are to getting around and how much of a time saver it is, them degrading, even if it takes hours upon hours, is bad. I don't want to come back to a game a few months down the line and find the online community dead, my roads in disrepair and it virtually impossible to rebuild them.

I'd prfer they eventually patch that out or give an option to control some aspect of it.

• Options
    I wish timefall would timefall itself.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Item degradation is something that, as a rule, I absolutely detest. It's usually applied to weapons and occurs at something like a hundred times to rate of breakdown that would actually ever happen, serving as nothing more than an obnoxious waste of time with zero enjoyment value.

That being said, I completely appreciate that the timefall is an actual reason for things to wear out quickly. Furthermore, it doesn't affect player items quickly (I drove the same stolen truck through at least an hour or two of timefall before it broke down), just cargo. Between repair spray and timefall shelters, it's quite easy to repair cargo without even breaking stride.

It's also a pretty elegant solution to keep the world from getting stuck with the same assortment of placed structures and to clean out unused structures. Eventually, anything not replaced or replaced is washed away, so the game world always needs players to stay optimized.

I won't say I enjoy the mechanic, but I'd rather have it in the game than not.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Maybe, but you can remove other peoples items from your world, and you yourself are limited in what you can build and where.

If there's no degradation over time, then literally every useful spot will eventually be filled by someone. Probably some troll items on top of that.
    Given how important roads are to getting around and how much of a time saver it is, them degrading, even if it takes hours upon hours, is bad. I don't want to come back to a game a few months down the line and find the online community dead, my roads in disrepair and it virtually impossible to rebuild them.

The whole point is the community effort in building and maintaining the roads ("stranding"), if after a few months the roads are fully established and there's nothing to build, whatever community is there is doing nothing and they might as well be static things dropped in by the developers. Maybe that even makes sense at some point, but I'd first rather be shuffling active players together before resorting to outright deleting the multiplayer side of my game.

I don't even have the game nor have an opinion on the exact rate of deterioration. I just know that you can't drop people into a shared space, give them access to infinite resources over time to build infinite things to drop in that world, and have zero mechanism for getting rid of those things. Its a performance and database mess if nothing else.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Player structures trivialize some of the missions, tbh, and sometimes I wish they weren't as common. It's good that they degrade, and I think the idea that the game may be different or even full of degraded ruins in a year or two is fascinating. I might replay just to see.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just mainlining the game so I am very thankful for the buildings and items from other players because I rarely build anything of my own and will never go looking for supplies. I just map out routes through whatever buildings are left from others and using whatever items others leave for me.

Which is pretty cool that the game can be played in some very different ways. For me each mission is just a random assortment of items that I have available and it's like a little puzzle before I start to find the most efficient way to use those and nothing else.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I rather enjoy optimizing travel myself, and am currently very annoyed at how outrageously expensive ziplines are in terms of chiral bandwidth. They should cost something like half the bandwidth they currently take, because taking a pile of building units and spending some time constructing your own zipline network saves so much tedium later. I've hardly built anything outside some generators and watchtowers and I still don't have anywhere near what I would consider adequate bandwidth for expanding my zipline route.

• Options
    I just got to Chapter 3 and am looking forward to stopping on the main story missions and just running around to build things and make deliveries.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what point in Chapter 3 is good to stop and focus more on side quests/side deliveries and building?

• Options
    I rather enjoy optimizing travel myself, and am currently very annoyed at how outrageously expensive ziplines are in terms of chiral bandwidth. They should cost something like half the bandwidth they currently take, because taking a pile of building units and spending some time constructing your own zipline network saves so much tedium later. I've hardly built anything outside some generators and watchtowers and I still don't have anywhere near what I would consider adequate bandwidth for expanding my zipline route.

Reading this I just realized that I don't actually know what chiral bandwith is regarding to building stuff or how it is expanded or functions. I didn't realize there was any sort of limit outside of material for stuff. And yet I'm in Chapter 6. That's how little I interact with building stuff.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Found my first collectable. A USB thumb drive. After getting off of Fragile's cargo boat it's on top of the open shipping container.
    You get a message telling you there are more to find, hidden in the world. They're pretty tiny, too.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I want build a whole country out of durable postboxes that never degrade. Just postboxes as far as the eye can see. Maybe a bridge now and then too. Actually maybe only bridges. Bridges everywhere. Bridges upon bridges upon bridges. Sam Porter Bridges. Hmm, Bridges.

• Options
    edited November 2019

Reading this I just realized that I don't actually know what chiral bandwith is regarding to building stuff or how it is expanded or functions. I didn't realize there was any sort of limit outside of material for stuff. And yet I'm in Chapter 6. That's how little I interact with building stuff.

I only actually figured out what the bandwidth does when I started putting up ziplines because they're 500 bandwidth a pop, which rapidly becomes pretty limiting when you want to put up quick access to out-of-the-way spots. Never even noticed the bandwidth limit thing before then.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I got to chapter 3, but I've just been having fun getting to 5 stars at the chapter 2 locations.

The Wind Farm is the worst to travel to and from, but I've been having a good time with this game. Especially as I do future deliveries and I can use the older ladders and climbing ropes that I put down on my route on previous runs.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I got to chapter 3, but I've just been having fun getting to 5 stars at the chapter 2 locations.

The Wind Farm is the worst to travel to and from, but I've been having a good time with this game. Especially as I do future deliveries and I can use the older ladders and climbing ropes that I put down on my route on previous runs.

The chapter 2 locations remain difficult when you go back to them. So many narrow passages through heavy BT territory.

• Options
    Ziplines are amazing and should cost less. When you get them you don't really need bridges anymore and you can use them to get freely through BT territory. I need to upgrade them to longer distances though so I can use less.

I've reached a point of diminishing returns with the game though. I'm late into Chapter 6 (maybe, at least after 5),
    I've just fought (Mads for the first time) and there's so many deliveries and so many side tasks it feels never ending. I wanted to unlock all the side preppers before getting to the end so I can unlock their unique things if they have them, but I'm getting kinda bored and just thinking I'll rush through to the end of the story now.

It's frustrating to a point because some of the story there is good. Mama for instance, I was compelled by her scenes, but I'm probably 30-40 hours in and only just met her and in two cutscenes I'm going to reunite her with her sister. I've not even met Heartman yet, and the chapters are switching faster so I assume it's building to an endgame, but I've only met Mads once and still have no idea what is going on with Higgs. I was also annoyed when he showed up with a boss fight after I collected Mama because a) it didn't warn me I'd be picking her up and I had a truck full of cargo with me, and I had no weapons to fight hte boss with and no other players were showing up to provide them so I just had to run, which felt a little anti-climactic.

• Options
    Ziplines are amazing and should cost less. When you get them you don't really need bridges anymore and you can use them to get freely through BT territory. I need to upgrade them to longer distances though so I can use less.

I've reached a point of diminishing returns with the game though. I'm late into Chapter 6 (maybe, at least after 5),
    I've just fought (Mads for the first time) and there's so many deliveries and so many side tasks it feels never ending. I wanted to unlock all the side preppers before getting to the end so I can unlock their unique things if they have them, but I'm getting kinda bored and just thinking I'll rush through to the end of the story now.

It's frustrating to a point because some of the story there is good. Mama for instance, I was compelled by her scenes, but I'm probably 30-40 hours in and only just met her and in two cutscenes I'm going to reunite her with her sister. I've not even met Heartman yet, and the chapters are switching faster so I assume it's building to an endgame, but I've only met Mads once and still have no idea what is going on with Higgs. I was also annoyed when he showed up with a boss fight after I collected Mama because a) it didn't warn me I'd be picking her up and I had a truck full of cargo with me, and I had no weapons to fight hte boss with and no other players were showing up to provide them so I just had to run, which felt a little anti-climactic.

I'd say the game definitely suffers from that Kojima design thing where he just insists a mission has to be done a certain way, thereby forcing the player to do things exactly as expected or in some cheesey, sloggy way because you don't have Item X on-hand for the mission.

Case in point, I just started heading into the mountains
    and had to rush a blood transfusion to somebody. The game had just unlocked armor plates, so it wasn't hard to figure out that it wanted me to fight. I put on the armor plate and hopped on a motorcycle... and of fucking course there's a big, fat chunk of terrain between you and the objective that is jam-packed with enemies and the terrain is broken juuuuust enough to make it impossible to drive the motorcycle decently.

Still drove through most of the mission, but I was pretty irritated at the game doing everything it could to force me to walk and fight the whole way through, particularly after Kojima has been talking out his ass about Death Stranding "transcends" other genres. Sorry dude, but this is just turning into an open-world shooter with some extra bells and whistles at this point.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    From The Silver Case/Placebo's artist:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Not finished with the game, but some story thoughts:
    I guess I've seen enough Kojima work that he's getting predictable at this point. I hit these moments which are clearly supposed to be Big Deals, but they're just not surprising. Like when this annoying guy says the system is jammed and mentions Fragile's name, then hands me a package... and Sam just takes it without even asking who the fuck this weird guy is.

And "big surprise", the description of the object is that it's a nuclear bomb. How the fuck was this not obvious to Sam that something was up with the guy or the package?

Also, Amelia just talked to me for a bit down in the private room except she was clearly lacking her necklace and wouldn't even acknowledge it. On top of that, she poofs out of the room like Fragile at the end of the talk instead of dissolving out as a hologram. GEE, I WONDER IF THAT IS SIGNIFICANT. She really seems to be pushing this network idea really hard in spite of all the chiral uptick going with it, so I (sarcastically) wonder if it isn't just a big setup to turn the US into a giant chiral bomb or something.

Further, is Kojima capable of having female characters in a game without doing something pervishly fan-servicey with them?
    Got up to the part where Fragile explains what Higgs did to her. Higgs making her run through the timefall without a suit was a pretty nasty thing to do to somebody, but then the scene is totally undercut by things like long, slow pans of Fragile's ass as she runs. For scenes like these, there desperately needs to be somebody around to wrest control from Kojima and go "no, this is very explicitly objectivizing this character and right in the middle of a major part of her character development. We are not doing this."

Or better yet, just not letting Kojima do anything with female characters at all. After decades of this, I don't think the guy has any idea how reliably handle female characters and we're better off with him just not working with them at all.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the emails about glowing things are about? I've not had any luck finding them where they direct me towards.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the emails about glowing things are about? I've not had any luck finding them where they direct me towards.

Those are, I believe, pointing you towards
    those data stick collectibles.