As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unfortunately, you usually need a [job] to survive

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hey know what is super gross? A real warm toilet seat in a real cold bathroom.

Your mind immediately begins to ponder just how recently it held another ass

Quite recently, I assume.

I can easily beat that with the safest horror of at work
    Someone in an attempt to coverup they shoplifted stuff jammed all the boxes and other wrappers down the toilet where it got stuck and caused the sewer in the area to back up so all the drains around the floor were bubbling up sewage

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    This is not how it works

Management's new game of the beatings will continue until moral improves

They are writing people up for non compliance for failing to do their job in the time given :rotate: an example is if you were given 3 hours to do toys you should be able to do toys in that time
    Just that they keep pulling down the backstock from pervious days and making them work it
    So they wrote up the woman who does toys because she was zoning the area while she stocked it

Or another example they also wrote up someone who is a very hard worker and helps everyone on the GM side for not working :rotate:

They also say in the pep rally that they are going to start firing people soon for attendance and other issues and are cutting hours
    But if people call out {a all too common problem} then they will give those hours to the first person they can find
    Aka we can always get someone to work

I really do think I work in a punishment or something store because why do we always get the idiot managers

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Today at my work, which is a military HQ, generals are coming by just to look at the massively Christmas decorated cubicle of a warrant officer, two master sergeants are industriously making tiny sleighs out of candy canes and chocolate, someone is building a staircase out of binders and books to use their new slinky, a colonel is showing off a baby in a bowtie, a captain just left to go get a ham, every video conferencing display on my floor has been tuned to a burning yule log program, and three majors are covering a conference room table in cakes.

Ain't no work getting done in this building today.

Working around military at Christmas time is hilarious, because if it doesn't need to be done absolutely right now holy shit you guys, it's going to wait until January sometime.

PSN: jfrofl
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey know what is super gross? A real warm toilet seat in a real cold bathroom.

Your mind immediately begins to ponder just how recently it held another ass

Quite recently, I assume.

they were probably pooping right below where you're sitting too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Today at my work, which is a military HQ, generals are coming by just to look at the massively Christmas decorated cubicle of a warrant officer, two master sergeants are industriously making tiny sleighs out of candy canes and chocolate, someone is building a staircase out of binders and books to use their new slinky, a colonel is showing off a baby in a bowtie, a captain just left to go get a ham, every video conferencing display on my floor has been tuned to a burning yule log program, and three majors are covering a conference room table in cakes.

Well now the Russians know to invade...

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I started a new job with the state which I assumed was going to be good from a benefits standpoint if not pay (at my current level). However I found out today that not only is my first paycheck not until the end of the month (which I knew) but would only cover my first pay period - IE, I'll be permanently two weeks behind on pay (until I leave for another job). Additionally, overtime takes about "six weeks" to process from the time you perform it to the time you get paid for it. Is this normal for state stuff or does Missouri suck harder than I realized (and I didn't think that was possible!)?

Not sure about govt but it's pretty standard to be behind by one pay period in corporate. The OT thing is weird to me though.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

And it's fuckin' December 9th.

godmode on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I started a new job with the state which I assumed was going to be good from a benefits standpoint if not pay (at my current level). However I found out today that not only is my first paycheck not until the end of the month (which I knew) but would only cover my first pay period - IE, I'll be permanently two weeks behind on pay (until I leave for another job). Additionally, overtime takes about "six weeks" to process from the time you perform it to the time you get paid for it. Is this normal for state stuff or does Missouri suck harder than I realized (and I didn't think that was possible!)?

Not sure about govt but it's pretty standard to be behind by one pay period in corporate. The OT thing is weird to me though.

I found out that Missouri has the lowest average income for state employees. Also turn over is super high in the social service/mental health department. You really shouldn't have people having literal life and death control over people for $10/hr. Especially when the state spends over $200,000/yr per person served (in some cases).

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Radiation wrote: »

Working around military at Christmas time is hilarious, because if it doesn't need to be done absolutely right now holy shit you guys, it's going to wait until January sometime.

My family has a true story that is a great example of this. My mother went into labor with her first child on New Years Eve and as a military spouse, went to the hospital on the base where she and my dad lived, but due to complications wasn't able to deliver without a C-Section.

My older sisters birthday is the FOURTH

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Enc these pens are nice

I see why your co-workers were being thieves even more than usual for them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i asked for more money fairly confidently

we shall see what he comes back with!

poo
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Radiation

I'm back sometime Sunday night. I've got about 30 hours of travel. Because sometimes my job is not that neat.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Earlier this year, a failing project was passed to me because the lead was not doing a great job. Now.......the same thing has happened with our current project, and I will be the lead until its completion in a little over a month.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    @Enc these pens are nice

I picked those pens up for myself too and have been using them to do annotating in books

they work really really well

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @Enc these pens are nice

I bought these super fine tip sharpie pens for mapmaking for a DnD campaign and I want a million of them. Nice pens are so good

These!
    812cWZOcY%2BL._SL1411_.jpg

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Quality pens made me question the efficacy of typing up notes/thoughts/research.

Why do that when I can use these fine pens???

i have a set of Muji .38mm pens they're lovely

also yes minor salary negotiation success after initial fail

coulda probably done better if handled right from the start but i am happy with the number so

poo
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

coulda probably done better if handled right from the start but i am happy with the number so

are you kind of a quant?

how are they in comparison to gel?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Dynagrip wrote: »

are you kind of a quant?

yeah, i do numbers and things

data science, analytics, what have you

poo
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Also how do you think they'd handle extremely dusty surfaces? We use a ton of graphite dust and it gets all over my reports.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Pro: the office had a Christmas dinner for everyone today, and I took a slice of decent pecan pie back to my desk to eat later.

Con: A big piece of crust fell off and landed on the floor. When I rolled my chair back to grab it, I rolled directly over it and made it into 10,000 tiny crust pieces. I'm so sorry, cleaning people who are coming in tonight.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, @tynic , what's the lowdown on the general field of problem theory? As in, have we developed problem theory yet?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    @Enc these pens are nice

So day two at my new job, I pull out my surviving three pens from my coat pocket during a brainstorming meeting and the following occurs:

Coworker: Oh! You have sharpie pens! I love those.
    Enc: Haha... yea. You could say I'm a fan.
    Boss: I think we all are, in fact.
    Enc: Oh?

They walk over to the standing supply cabinet in which there are two boxes of the multi-color packs shown in this thread kept in escro for when theirs run out.

I love everything about this job.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Also how do you think they'd handle extremely dusty surfaces? We use a ton of graphite dust and it gets all over my reports.

Probably pretty well. If a sharpie would work in your setting, the pens will work the same.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It hit 45°C today. That is officially Too Warm for my brain. I spent a lot of the day sighing and staring.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We got some snow last night but it's melting.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    @Enc these pens are nice

So day two at my new job, I pull out my surviving three pens from my coat pocket during a brainstorming meeting and the following occurs:

Coworker: Oh! You have sharpie pens! I love those.
    Enc: Haha... yea. You could say I'm a fan.
    Boss: I think we all are, in fact.
    Enc: Oh?

They walk over to the standing supply cabinet in which there are two boxes of the multi-color packs shown in this thread kept in escro for when theirs run out.

I love everything about this job.

Yea, I'm going with you're actually dead and been rewarded with academic heaven.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    the beginning of snowpocolypse is upon us here in NY

doesn't look too bad right now though

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Yeah up in Niagara County we got a dusting that's already melted.

Down in SE Erie where I grew up though, looks like they're getting a decent amount.

So

Now I need to quit in a nice tactful manner

poo
    MechMantis wrote: »

Down in SE Erie where I grew up though, looks like they're getting a decent amount.

got about an inch or so here.. but it keeps stopping and starting

hm

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    It hit 45°C today. That is officially Too Warm for my brain. I spent a lot of the day sighing and staring.

damn

the temperature differential in this thread is like 70 degrees celcius

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    So

Now I need to quit in a nice tactful manner

jump on a skateboard ride out while throwing up middle fingers

Trying to skateboard when I hadn't in years was how I made my good knee my bad knee

poo
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Trying to skateboard when I hadn't in years was how I made my good knee my bad knee

Pretend to skateboard and actually throw up middle fingers. Like push off of nothing and do quick shuffle steps to give the illusion of movement

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I survived today. After a scheduler ( who assigned the work), and a team lead called out, so I had to schedule and coordinate the work the team lead usually did. Then the weekend supervisor, who I normally let coordinate with the team lead, ducked out without telling me, leaving a rush job rudderless that I had to try to get done. Mind you, my boss was out this week, so I was also doing his job. And then I found out we were out of something we needed for Monday, and got yelled at when I rush ordered it ( which was my fault, as I was supposed to be keeping track of inventory, and somehow missed this). Ahhhhh.
    Can't wait and see how Monday goes, and if the weekend supervisor actually comes in.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

MechMantis wrote: »

got about an inch or so here.. but it keeps stopping and starting

hm

Until we settle things like gentlemen, as we have agreed, I am going to have to insist that you stop claiming the snowpocalypse is upon New York when I'm not getting any down here.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was just told that because I was in JROTC in high school, and actually seem to care about my school's JROTC cadets, I can be a chaperone when cadets from my school travel to Normandy, France in 2019 as part of the memorial ceremony for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

There are only four cadets going. The other teacher going is the retired army major that is the head JROTC instructor at my school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    who's got two thumbs and bungled a deployment so they get to stay late on a friday until its fixed!

oh... :exclamation:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.