As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Patches is a good card

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hey, I was thinking about the Meta-defining decks of Hearthstone's history. Is there anything obvious I'm missing from this list?

Deathrattle Undertaker (Hunter/Warlock) - Naxxramas
    Miracle Rogue - Post Undertaker Nerf
    Mech Mage - GvG
    Patron Warrior - Blackrock Mountain
    Secret Paladin - TGT
    Combo Druid - LoE
    Aggro Shaman - WotOG
    Midrange Shaman - Karazhan

Edit: I know Control Warrior/Freeze Mage/Face Hunter have had some very prominent times in the spotlight but I don't really associate them with any specific period? Maybe Face Hunter pre-Naxx?

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Freeze Mage, Handlock/Zoolock were pretty big pre naxx.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Handlock I think competes with Zoo for First Solid Deck-type.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Why not hit whatever rank you want and then mess around?

That's kinda what I mean. Basically, do what you want. For some people the rank is everything. Me, I can't spend every session grinding for stars. I like to tinker even with poor results.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Well now nobody's gonna be rich.
    Sadly, I died to Leeroy a few turns later since my health was so low.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy playing Renolock on ladder for the rest of the season.

Even if I don't get anywhere with it, it's going to be a good learning experience.

Still doing tune-up games in casual, won 6 out of 7 thus far. Learnt a few lessons in the process. Definitely need to think through my multi-card turns a bit more, I am missing some potentially really good plays in favour of obvious average ones.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I keep getting to 18 through bonus win streaks, then losing a few in a row, then getting back to 18. At some point I'll crack through it.

But not today because my daily is play 75 Murloc cards

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Nothing quite like a priest reno'ing with an auchenai up.

RozMMMigBreakfastPMAegispirateluigikimeBetsuniLucedesIron WeaselElvenshae
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ok, so I discovered some interesting high level play in the Reno Warlock and the Jade Druid matchup. The Yogg Druid decks sort of hard trained us to go for spells with raven idol, which is what most people default to 99% of the time. Interestingly though, because of Jade synergies and Dirty Rat's ability, you should pretty much always go for minion, and the largest most value oriented minion you can. Outside of twisting nether and Siphon Soul, it is difficult for them to deal with anything greater than 7 toughness.

Roz on
    Marty81DibbykimeBetsuniElvenshae
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Nothing quite like a priest reno'ing with an auchenai up.

Happy Feast of Winterveil.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    schussElvenshae
    edited December 2016
    my awful murloc paladin deck is undefeated... what is going on. still have a lot more murloc to cast to get my gold though.

now I'm in a murloc mirror. what is this life

initiatefailure on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Freeze Mage, Handlock/Zoolock were pretty big pre naxx.

Freeze mage is one of the defining nerfs of early Hearthstone, basically every AOE freeze effect had a mana added to its cost

If you want to go back even further to beta it's Tempo Rogue as the deck to beat

kimeGrobianLucedes
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Pre naxx Hunter was bonkers. Unleash and starving buzzard were each two mana and people were running that with timber wolf.

Marty81 on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Pre naxx Hunter was bonkers. Unleash and starving buzzard were each two mana and people were running that with timber wolf.

Post Naxx Hunter was even more bonkers. Winning-est deck of all time.

Yilias
    After playing Finja Anyfin (or AnyFinja if you will) I noticed Dane had a video up on Thursday playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so0k2d6m924

His decklist seems a lot stronger from what I've seen playing it.

For those interested: (Pre-warning that Anyfin was an expensive list before, and Dane bumped it up a notch to 5 non-adventure legendaries for a dust cost of 10760)
    Paladin Cards:
    1x Forbidden Healing
    2x Equality
    2x Aldor Peacekeeper
    1x Wickerflame Burnbristle
    2x Consecration
    2x Truesilver Champion
    2x Solemn Vigil
    2x Ivory Knight
    1x Eadric the Pure
    1x Ragnaros, Lightlord
    1x Tirion Fordring
    2x Anyfin Can Happen

Neutral:
    2x Bluegill Warrior
    2x Doomsayer
    1x Loot Hoarder
    2x Wild Pyromancer
    1x Acolyte of Pain
    2x Murloc Warleader
    1x Finja, the Flying Star

Auralynx
    edited December 2016
    i got an anyfin is possible off an ivory knight while doing my murloc challenge and went from empty board to a full 7 and the opponent just conceded. It seems really powerful if you actually built around it.

I'm doing surprisingly well for just jamming every murloc i have into a basic paladin shell. 57/75 so far and I'm like 10/2

initiatefailure on
    forty
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I wonder how many more years it will be until we can reorder our decks...

kimeMMMigKoopahTroopahhippofantKonphujunElvenshae
    i got an anyfin is possible off an ivory knight while doing my murloc challenge and went from empty board to a full 7 and the opponent just conceded. It seems really powerful if you actually built around it.

I'm doing surprisingly well for just jamming every murloc i have into a basic paladin shell. 57/75 so far and I'm like 10/2
    I had a similar experience with both dumb all murlocs and all divine shields decks. "How am I winning with these?" I guess it was basically just curvestone + not being high ranked.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    "I'm going to build a murloc deck" is a sentiment that inevitably leads to a synergistic deck. A deck with that baseline package of cards that complement each other will often do better than the janky decks newer players otherwise put together that have no apparent theme or plan (either because they don't have enough cards to complete a theme or they don't have the experience to know how a deck should be structured). A murloc deck has a gameplan, essentially.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    3cl1ps3
    my fandral lived for 5 turns and i couldn't draw a nourish :(

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    my fandral lived for 5 turns and i couldn't draw a nourish :(

I have failed Fandral in the games I played with him. Think I'm going to try and make up the old Yogg version you guys ran to learn how ro channel my inner Druid.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    it's funny, i feel no affinity for druid whatsoever, and think malf is a dumb doodoohead that actively impedes the character writing of everyone he's around in warcraft

but druid just keeps getting super playable legendaries that i open day 1 of an expansion

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Note to self, jade druid goes face!

After my warrior troubles im now running into jaraxxus shamans, and they made sure to regret any golems used to take out minions instead of face. Because i could have had lethal on turn 9 both times.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    I was able to put together a jade Druid without the legends everyone always mentions and it still feels really really good against all the aggro decks.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I was able to put together a jade Druid without the legends everyone always mentions and it still feels really really good against all the aggro decks.

It does, with the right draws you don't need Fandral or Aya.

But, they will win you a lot of games when you don't. Especially Aya is insane value. 6 mana that will put out 12-10 easy over 2-3 turns. Fandral can be a great soft taunt or help midgame to take out fat minions while managing dmg taken.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    I just had an arena deck so truly awful and depressing that I retired it after 2 losses. The pack produced Madame Goya. I'm thinking dust... But I will wait a while. Aside from that gimmick deck posted earlier, has anyone tried her out?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Can we atleast have all 18 show up on one page?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    3cl1ps3MMMigKoopahTroopahforty
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

Can we atleast have all 18 show up on one page?

I'd really like chat popups not to block off a key part of the interface, or at least let us X out of them. Nothing like trying to chat with someone and assemble a deck at the same time.

"I'm going to build a murloc deck" is a sentiment that inevitably leads to a synergistic deck. A deck with that baseline package of cards that complement each other will often do better than the janky decks newer players otherwise put together that have no apparent theme or plan (either because they don't have enough cards to complete a theme or they don't have the experience to know how a deck should be structured). A murloc deck has a gameplan, essentially.
    Except I rarely play against decks like that.

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I did it!

k5xeo7zloffe.jpg

I hit rank 5 with my homebrew wild pirate rogue.

Decklist:
    heh77xmarxft.jpg

I went 51-29 (63% winrate) overall with the deck. Matchup stats:
    w5i8phnq22xu.jpg

This deck annihilates secret paladin and freeze mage and is also very strong against priest. My most faced matchups at ranks 5-8 were pirate warrior and priest. Initially I thought I was favored against pirate warrior too, but I guess as I got higher up they started playing better or something. Every pirate warrior matchup was tense, and I always ended up being the control player in that matchup because their starts are always a little faster. I think the deck's worst matchup is a shaman running all the low-mana board clears. Control warrior is probably tough too, but I only faced two of those so I don't have enough data to know for sure. My least-faced class on my way to rank 5 was rogue, which I only faced once, and it ended up being a pirate rogue mirror match that I barely won.

Other thoughts on the deck: Shadowstep is very strong and versatile, but is sometimes a dead draw. Don't be afraid to shadowstep a 1-mana pirate for a free ship's cannon shot in a heavy tempo matchup like pirate warrior. Always be counting for lethal - you'd be surprised how much burst the deck is capable of. It can be even burstier with tinker's oil, but I had a hard time finding good times to use it in most matchups. Coldlights and saps are pretty bad against pirate warrior (although you can dig for lethal with coldlights) but are great against priest. The key to beating priest is pushing as hard as you can before their 5-mana and 6-mana board clears come online. (I saw all the 5-mana and 6-mana board clears but I didn't see anyone running Aucheni/circle.)

If the deck could be tuned to be stronger against pirate warrior without sacrificing much in the priest matchup I think it would be a good deck to take to legend.

3cl1ps3KoopahTroopahMMMigDibbySensationalMNC Doverenvoy1
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i always just end up just shoving mark of nature on fandral and have him go down in a blaze of glory

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Man... topdecking lethal burn in this game is just as satisfying as in magic.

Just did it against a board with 6-9 powered jade golems waiting to turn around and kill me

initiatefailure on
    KoopahTroopah
    edited December 2016
    whoops

forty on
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Wow I got 11 wins in arena. Most I've ever had by 3-4. Finally got a draft with some of the OP cards! The cheap hand buffs are brutal in arena. Smugglers run, lights justice, and the hand buff 2 drop got me off to a lot of really strong starts.

bsjezzAtlas in ChainsElvenshae
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Except I rarely play against decks like that.

I never said you were playing against those decks.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

You can sort of if you're willing to put in some effort. Just switch them to Wild Format and back and they'll go to the bottom of your Standard decks (and vice versa).

I re-arranged my decks that way the other day so that I had one of each class on the front page of 9, and then the second page is just full of janky weird decks & my original Secrets Paladin list for Wild should I ever feel the need to make the world burn.

kimeVariableElvenshae
    have they ever spoken about standard in regards to reprinting rotated cards into new sets? Or as of now are they just gone from standard and that's it, dust em or play em in wild?

Because I imagine that would be a thing at some point after x number of future sets. Like with magic they don't always reprint the huge bomb that defined the format, but they often reprint roleplayer effects in more standards.

have they ever spoken about standard in regards to reprinting rotated cards into new sets? Or as of now are they just gone from standard and that's it, dust em or play em in wild?

Because I imagine that would be a thing at some point after x number of future sets. Like with magic they don't always reprint the huge bomb that defined the format, but they often reprint roleplayer effects in more standards.

We haven't heard official word on reprints, but we know they want to do a "from the vaults" thing with older adventures that you can't but anymore, whatever that entails.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Savjz's Renolock feels so awkward to me, I'm always mad that I don't have a specific card in the deck.

Although it also doesn't help that I lose fucking 1/8s in the mirror and Dirty Rat hits my Reno.

Coinage on
    djFindus
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    GcbmBq2l.jpg

Turn 1 from MrYagut...

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Marty81DibbykimeMNC DoverMMMigKoopahTroopahLucedes