As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Patches is a good card

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That moment when the daily quest is "win 47 games with your second-worst deck" and you re-roll and you get "win 47 games with your worst deck."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    ElvenshaeBreakfastPMBetsuni3cl1ps3KoopahTroopahMMMigMNC DoverMetal Jaredenvoy1Lucedes
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jade is pretty problematic in that it's too good for how simple it is. Nothing against good simple decks in principle, but the fact that it's just play your cards and you auto beat control decks is ridiculous. At least midrange druid had to think a little bit about which threats and spells to commit when on their road to roflstompimg control warrior, the only caveat jade decks care about is saving a spirit or a claws for Brann.

Yup. You just, play that shit out. Here's my Jade Blossom. Here's my Jade Spirit. Here's my Jade Behemoth. Just playin' out these Golems without a care in the world. Eventually they start to bypass most board clears too, outside of things like Twisting Nether or Brawl or something.

You don't even care if something like Aya gets Hex'd or Polymorphed, even, because you're still gonna keep pooping out Jade Golems and Aya is simply a stepping stone. You Hex'd Aya? Okay cool, have fun dealing with my 6/6, 7/7, and 8/8s coming up then.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Jade is pretty problematic in that it's too good for how simple it is. Nothing against good simple decks in principle, but the fact that it's just play your cards and you auto beat control decks is ridiculous. At least midrange druid had to think a little bit about which threats and spells to commit when on their road to roflstompimg control warrior, the only caveat jade decks care about is saving a spirit or a claws for Brann.

Yup. You just, play that shit out. Here's my Jade Blossom. Here's my Jade Spirit. Here's my Jade Behemoth. Just playin' out these Golems without a care in the world. Eventually they start to bypass most board clears too, outside of things like Twisting Nether or Brawl or something.

You don't even care if something like Aya gets Hex'd or Polymorphed, even, because you're still gonna keep pooping out Jade Golems and Aya is simply a stepping stone. You Hex'd Aya? Okay cool, have fun dealing with my 6/6, 7/7, and 8/8s coming up then.

I think this also highlights a weakness in the amount of and power level/cost of board clears. As soon as you break 6/6 there is only one class that can deal with that board (barring lucky Kazakus shenanigans) and they can't afford to run more than one copy of that only card because they are also a highlander class.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think I might have hit peak Operative, playing as RenoDragonPriest.

Played it against a Renolock, and it offered me my choice of:
    • Golden Jaraxxus
    • Mountain Giant
    • Golden Kazakus

I grabbed Kazakus and went for the 10-mana option. I picked 8 damage and 10 armor.

My opponent had a large hand, and had dropped a 4/10 Dragon, then Taunt-stat-copied it. I played an Azure Drake on my turn 9, and passed.

On his turn, he dropped some ridiculous combo of Defender of Argus to buff the dragon and the existing taunt, ran them into my face, and then added his Mountain Giant before ... tapping. To bring himself to 9 health.

"Good game." Golden Kazakus Potion to the face for the win.
    I'd actually been one or two points off of potential lethal a couple of times before that, or had been one mana short or similar. It was the best possible ending, though.

MNC Dover
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Jade Behemoth is pretty insulting compared to Jade Chieftain imho.

I think that, along with shaman having better aoe and removal is the main reason i do so much better with Jade Shaman compared to Jade Druid.
    I never had much luck with the auctioneer version that relies on drawing a shitton of Jade Idols either.

bwanie on
    DibbydjFindus
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I'm running into control decks that now just seem to run the Pirate stuff to deal with the early game, so I'm not surprised that its representation is so high.

I'll echo what others say about Jade decks and I've got a funny feeling that Pirates are the only thing keeping them in check.

PSN Fleety2009
    The Escape Goat
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Jade Behemoth suits Druid better than Chieftain would. Jade Druid's biggest issue is aggro and it's not uncommon for the first or second jade card to come down to be a Behemoth. You'd much rather have the 3/6 be the taunt than the 2/2.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    3cl1ps3
    edited February 2017
    Yilias wrote: »
    Jade Behemoth suits Druid better than Chieftain would. Jade Druid's biggest issue is aggro and it's not uncommon for the first or second jade card to come down to be a Behemoth. You'd much rather have the 3/6 be the taunt than the 2/2.

Plunking down a sole 3/6 to protect mah face and 2/2 never did me much good around t6/t7 but maybe i played it wrong. Having a 5/5 that they need to deal with after killing the taunt just seems better to me.

bwanie on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Jade decks may be too simple but frankly we needed something to shake up the fatigue control meta we've had since LoE. There are other kinds of control strategies besides run the other guy out of cards.

The problem is that none of those strategies are really better than Reno decks or pirates. Kun Druid kinda works.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    schuss
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

Plunking down a sole 3/6 to protect mah face and 2/2 never did me much good around t6/t7 but maybe i played it wrong. Having a 5/5 that they need to deal with after killing the taunt just seems better to me.

You're druid, why are you waiting until turn 6 to play a six drop?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Elvenshaebsjezz
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

The complaint against druid for the past two years from control players is always "It's SOOOOO unfair how simple it is for Druid to beat me!". Before control players complained "hurr hurr Druid is so dumb, oh i get my opponent to 14 life and cast combo! Look at me I'm the best"

I'm not really sure how Jade changes anything. Control players still look down on Druid players because we're the natural counter.

GoodKingJayIII

You're druid, why are you waiting until turn 6 to play a six drop?

Because my jade blossoms are hiding in the bottom 20 cards!

Dibby
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jade decks may be too simple but frankly we needed something to shake up the fatigue control meta we've had since LoE. There are other kinds of control strategies besides run the other guy out of cards.

The problem is that none of those strategies are really better than Reno decks or pirates. Kun Druid kinda works.

Elise rotating was going to force that to change anyway, since those decks would need an actual win condition.

3clipse wrote: »

Elise rotating was going to force that to change anyway, since those decks would need an actual win condition.

The win condition for fatigue control decks was always the library limit. They'd remove all your threats and then let you die from not having enough damage to kill them while they tank up or heal every turn.

Blizzard doesn't want that anymore (and rightfully so). They want control decks to win the game once they've taken total control. Before, we effectively had "prison" decks and it's awful to have basically lost but still need to play 15 more turns just in the 1% chance they make an error and throw the game or RNG goes your way or something.

Jade Druid is basically a control deck that wins the moment it has full control of the board. That's a much better place for control decks to be in.

GoodKingJayIIIElvenshaeenvoy1Jimbo
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

The complaint against druid for the past two years from control players is always "It's SOOOOO unfair how simple it is for Druid to beat me!". Before control players complained "hurr hurr Druid is so dumb, oh i get my opponent to 14 life and cast combo! Look at me I'm the best"

I'm not really sure how Jade changes anything. Control players still look down on Druid players because we're the natural counter.

We're not complaining about maly druid or the various aviana combo druids that also counter the current flavors of control (since they don't gain a billion armor). It's not a druid-specific complaint, it comes back to the same curvestone issues we've complained about whenever a midrange deck was top dog. Druid just happens to get the hate harder because wild growth and innervate let them curvestone harder than other decks.

Basically, jade is what I worried C'Thun decks would be. Decks that build themselves, offer no interesting decisions and just play themselves. Straight C'Thun druid is kinda like that, but you can actually fight back against their minions; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it comes down to how you order your minions and manage your trades to how far ahead you can get, and games feel like there's an honest back-and-forth which is what I think the ideal for midrange in hearthstone is.

Jade just plays out whatever jade card fits the curve the best because you want to get them ramped up ASAP and they quickly get to the point where controlling the board just isn't a feasible option anymore, it's kill the druid or get killed by their board. That's not a fun dichotomy that I don't think has ever existed before... other than like, undertaker growing out of "realistically being able to kill this" on like turn 3.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    3cl1ps3Dibby
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Re: Jade Druid:

I really miss Lightbomb.

djFindusGoodKingJayIII3cl1ps3Idx86GrobianMMMigCog
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think Lightbomb was too good, but maybe that's just me.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    DibbyThe Escape Goat
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I think Lightbomb was too good, but maybe that's just me.

Dragonfire Potion feels like a good compromise honestly. Because you're right, I think Lightbomb was just plain too good. Lightbomb was, most of the time, a "kill everything" spell. Didn't matter how much health they had (unless their health was skewed higher than their attack, woops), seeya nerd.

Dragonfire Potion is a 5 damage aoe for 6 mana. It's still extremely potent! It'll wipe most boards you come across! But it's still got a hard limit of 5, where Lightbomb scaled with attack.

I think Lightbomb being gone is fine.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    GoodKingJayIII
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    djFindus wrote: »
    holy shit am i really going to have to run double evolve to beat rogues?

fucking tomb pillagers, questing adventurers and cleef's ruining my shit.

Counterpoint: I probably was playing too agressive, will need to save removals for the really heavy buffed stuff and trade face with the pillagers.

Counter counterpoint: I really don't want them to have 4 coins on turn 6 :(

Poor Shaman!

Said no one. Ever.

i know you're making a joke and all

but rogues are ALSO a supreme amount of bullshit

"lemme just whip my questing adventurer onto the board, and oh look, i've got a quest for him! many quests! he's an 8/8! but that's not all, i also now have an 8/8 van cleef on board! and i hope you like not being able to interact with them because whoosh there goes my conceal!!"

so i mean, poor shaman and all right har har, but like damn, rogues are some hot bullshit

Yes and No. Rogue is dependent on the right cards at the right time or else you're screwed. Shaman can play on curve and be consistent and just whack people whereas Rogue it is the outlier when you get the miracle early turn. Similar to the turn 1 or 2 junk that Druid can toss out with Innervate.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Mirror says it copies a minion that was played. The auctioneer was played; the sheep was not.
    I would expect you to still get an auctioneer if it read "summoned" instead, because the sheep was not summoned, either.

this makes no sense though because it doesn't give you a 3/3 faceless manipulator, it gives you the copied minion.

to me, this is honestly another example of blizzard's interactions making no sense whatsoever.
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Battlecrys actually trigger before the minion is finished playing.

wait, this still makes no sense.

if i play a minion, mirror image copies that minion.

if i play a buffed minion, mirror image copies that buffed minion.

if i play a minion, mirror image copies that minion, then potion of polymorph turns it into a sheep.

if i play a buffed minion, mirror image copies the unbuffed minion, then potion of polymorph turns it into a sheep.

sorry, not only are these interactions unintuitive but they are also dumb and inconsistent.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I think the restriction on light bomb is more interesting than the one on dragonfire. If only because you can manipulate it and don't have to go "oh, it's a match against another dragon deck, guess I have no board clear now."

Also dragonfire would be fine if azure drake wasn't in every non-aggro deck.

PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
    ElvenshaeSeGaTai
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    I think the restriction on light bomb is more interesting than the one on dragonfire. If only because you can manipulate it and don't have to go "oh, it's a match against another dragon deck, guess I have no board clear now."

Also dragonfire would be fine if azure drake wasn't in every non-aggro deck.
    Well I'm sure the next expansion will have a stupid 4 drop like Shredder that pushes it out of the meta.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Mirror says it copies a minion that was played. The auctioneer was played; the sheep was not.
    I would expect you to still get an auctioneer if it read "summoned" instead, because the sheep was not summoned, either.

this makes no sense though because it doesn't give you a 3/3 faceless manipulator, it gives you the copied minion.

to me, this is honestly another example of blizzard's interactions making no sense whatsoever.
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Battlecrys actually trigger before the minion is finished playing.

wait, this still makes no sense.

if i play a minion, mirror image copies that minion.

if i play a buffed minion, mirror image copies that buffed minion.

if i play a minion, mirror image copies that minion, then potion of polymorph turns it into a sheep.

if i play a buffed minion, mirror image copies the unbuffed minion, then potion of polymorph turns it into a sheep.

sorry, not only are these interactions unintuitive but they are also dumb and inconsistent.

If you play snipe and mirror image the mirrored minion will take the damage too, even if it's lethal.

Aegis wrote: »
    Part of the issue is probably the past goodwill being squandered in terms of how they've approached communication and design decisions. Case in point: deck slots. Getting more than 9 was like pulling fucking teeth.

we don't need more deck slots. there are only like 6 viable decks in hearthstone anyway [insert rolling head here]

BreakfastPM
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Time for MNC Dover's new card idea!

a0C5qeZ.png

Basically he deals one damage for every mana over 5 when played. On turn 9 he's a Flamestrike.

Would you put this in your deck? I could see it getting major use in Druid and Rogue. Both classes which lack solid AoE and can cheat out extra mana. Thoughts? OP? Too weak?

too strong i think actually.

but i love the idea. they have this "enhance" mechanic in shadowverse which seems similar to this and i think it's awesome. requires good decision making.

MadPen
    sorry for the multiple posting, but last one:

just make conceal 2 mana or even 3.

or just take it out and only let stealth be given to minions from other minions who have it as a battle cry or maybe from the bee thing that gives you a 1 mana spell.

concealing all of your minions is total bullshit and should be taken out of the game.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'd also note that those complaining about Jade - it will get a few steps slower once Brann is gone as well, which should help make it manageable. I see no issue with the simplicity of scaling, as it's linear and takes a base amount of cards to get to "oh god" status, so if you're playing more efficient minions than early game jade (as stuff like spirit and behemoth are overcosted due to jade factor), you can seize board control and threaten lethal well before the 7's come out.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Most peoples' problem with Jade is that it auto-beats every single other control style. Auto-wins shouldn't be a thing.

ElvenshaeBetsuniDibbyGrobianMMMigKoopahTroopah
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Most peoples' problem with Jade is that it auto-beats every single other control style. Auto-wins shouldn't be a thing.

Mmm...I do okay against it with Renolock? I mean, I lose more than I win, and it's 100% possible that they are misplaying, but nothing too terribly obvious from my end usually. Point is, I sometimes win. Infernal! every turn combined with whatever I draw gets a little rough, even if you are occasionally drawing 10/10 minions or whatever.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

It only auto-wins if your win condition is "go to fatigue, reno" which IMO is a failure of a deck.

schuss wrote: »

It only auto-wins if your win condition is "go to fatigue, reno" which IMO is a failure of a deck.

It auto beats any Reno deck, and fatigue deck, probably beats Control Warrior unless they get super lucky and can get an extremely early Alex + Grom combo...

Any deck that can't go beatdown and be in a game winning position by turn 9 or 10 is almost always dead. That's basically every single control deck.

The Escape GoatElvenshae
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    lol:
    7yhn2h3mbzbk.jpg

Of course, I ran across this because that's what I was going to type...But it's still funny. So I was going to say that she has the most fun drop sound (with music and all) of maybe any card for me.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
    3cl1ps3DibbyThe Escape GoatMMMigKoopahTroopahGoodKingJayIIIbsjezzElvenshaeDonnicton
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    lol:
    7yhn2h3mbzbk.jpg

Of course, I ran across this because that's what I was going to type...But it's still funny. So I was going to say that she has the most fun drop sound (with music and all) of maybe any card for me.

I was about to ask why you were looking to remove STDs till I noticed the programming icon.

Also reference the discussion on lightbomb. I agree that dragonfire is a good substitute and Blizzard should do that to Brawl and those types of boardwipes as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    MadPenElvenshae
    edited February 2017
    Roz wrote: »

We're not complaining about maly druid or the various aviana combo druids that also counter the current flavors of control (since they don't gain a billion armor). It's not a druid-specific complaint, it comes back to the same curvestone issues we've complained about whenever a midrange deck was top dog. Druid just happens to get the hate harder because wild growth and innervate let them curvestone harder than other decks.

Basically, jade is what I worried C'Thun decks would be. Decks that build themselves, offer no interesting decisions and just play themselves. Straight C'Thun druid is kinda like that, but you can actually fight back against their minions; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it comes down to how you order your minions and manage your trades to how far ahead you can get, and games feel like there's an honest back-and-forth which is what I think the ideal for midrange in hearthstone is.

Jade just plays out whatever jade card fits the curve the best because you want to get them ramped up ASAP and they quickly get to the point where controlling the board just isn't a feasible option anymore, it's kill the druid or get killed by their board. That's not a fun dichotomy that I don't think has ever existed before... other than like, undertaker growing out of "realistically being able to kill this" on like turn 3.

Except this exact complaint is thrown at aggro decks all the time!

Oh, it's just curvestone! The aggro deck just plays out their hand and they win!

A lot of the game is going to focus on playing the best thing you can on curve every turn - it's the manifestation of a linearly growing resource and trying to maximize that power every turn. And games where you lose to that strategy feel like your opponent put no thought in, because his choices aren't transparent to you. You sit there and watch as he curves out and beats you, while you get frustrated because your options felt useless and don't accomplish anything. Thus it makes it easier to believe that his deck is unskilled curvestone, when the reality is that his deck has a significant advantage over yours and puts you into a losing position most of the time.

That's why natural counters are so frustrating, because games often feel like they end without a lot of decision making on either end. That's not really true, though. Both sides make choices, it's just that usually if both sides are curving out or hitting the right cards, the natural counter will invalidate most/all of the opponent's choices because that's what it is designed to do.

Ask the Jade Druid how they feel about aggro shaman or miracle rogue, for instance. I mean on some level I'm all for a more interactive game, but Blizzard also wants the game to be simple and games to be reasonably quick. They don't want every match to be 20 turns of intensely complex decision making on both sides. That's not only mentally exhausting, but I would say it's something that most players don't actually want.

Roz on
    GoodKingJayIIIbsjezzhippofant

I don't think that's actually true. While it might be heavily favored, I don't think it's a 100% winrate against any of the Reno/Kazakus decks.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with decks having heavily favored matchups?

I mean the alternative is every matchup is some 50/50 platonic ideal, and for that happen the game would probably be incredibly boring.

GoodKingJayIIIschusskimebsjezz
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    lol:
    7yhn2h3mbzbk.jpg

Tirion is still my favorite but she is a close second. The voice actress who does her does an amazing job. I just think Tirion is more epic

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    MadPen
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of things in the meta will change once LoE rotates out. Brann and Reno in particular are super strong. Makes cards like Kazakus and Jade stuff less impactful.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    alright guys, this is not going to be controversial, i think, but who knows.

knuckles should have charge.

maybe that will get one or two people to play hunter.

no?

yeah, you're probably right, no one will play him.

Betsunischuss
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of things in the meta will change once LoE rotates out. Brann and Reno in particular are super strong. Makes cards like Kazakus and Jade stuff less impactful.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Dibby
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hell, the loss of Reno and Brann might make Grimy Goons decks viable.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    MNC DoverDibby