As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Patches is a good card

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Beasts aren't big in meta because there are no good beasts, they are weaker because all of their synergy cards are non-beasts that require you to have beasts on the board before you play them. Dragon synergy cards only need the dragon to be in your hand, and Pirates and Murlocs have cards that synergize with themselves. I think a few cards that synergize with beasts and are also beasts themselves will make the strategy work.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You kinda forgot the dark patron era shortly after BRM's release, Dibbs. The whole dying to a 40 attack frothing on turn 7 thing :p

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Guys. Un'Goro is probably an Adventure. We just recently got an expansion.

As recent as last blizzcon they said they are still going with the proposed expansion-adventure-expansion yearly cycle.

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    i started in wotg so i don't know about anything before that, but i don't remember people thinking wotg was that great.

yogg singlehandedly killed tournaments until the nerf.

i think you're romanticizing the past a little bit.

it's always been bad. lol

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    LoE era was pretty widely liked. Only thing I can remember people complaining about was Druid.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    /r/hearthstone is just non stop shitting on the meta in general and shaman in particular right now. It's not unwarranted. Team 5 needs to balance more often. I understand they're hesitant to fuck with the meta, but they know they can always change cards back, right?

Cog on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    The only thing I hate about League of Explorers is Finley. I can't wait for that card to rotate.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    /r/hearthstone is just non stop shitting on the meta in general and shaman in particular right now. It's not unwarranted. Team 5 needs to balance more often. I understand they're hesitant to fuck with the meta, but they know they can always change cards back, right?

I think the big thing right now is the imminent retirement of LoE is going to totally blow up the meta, so tuning might be a bit premature? I'm not sure if there are any major tournaments coming up, but they have enough other metrics pointing to some level of equilibrium (even if it's comparatively few archetypes) that they may only do a target change to STB.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    You kinda forgot the dark patron era shortly after BRM's release, Dibbs. The whole dying to a 40 attack frothing on turn 7 thing :p

ah, yes

i wiped it clean from my memory, you see

dark times

bad times

(it's hard to mentally keep track of an entire game's metagame history!)

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Dr. Boom and Secrets Pally were, to me, worse than what we have now

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I stand by Dr. Boom being what the power level of fatties should be.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    The only thing I hate about League of Explorers is Finley. I can't wait for that card to rotate.

I despise Reno so much.

Even if he was "set your health to 15," he'd be OK.

But as is, he's the worst.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

maybe I'm just remembering him as part of secrets pally and don't have as much of a problem with it as I thought.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

It was the RNG that made it extra salty and tipped the scales I think

and not just ONE RNG effect, but two middle fingers up in the air
    up high

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Playing C'Thun warrior in this meta is interesting. People are now making lots of mistakes against this deck. Generally aggro decks flooding the board, or control decks trying to go aggro...

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Playing C'Thun warrior in this meta is interesting. People are now making lots of mistakes against this deck. Generally aggro decks flooding the board, or control decks trying to go aggro...

I played against one a couple of days ago and lost. Couldn't help but wonder: How does it fare against mid-jade shaman?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »

I think the big thing right now is the imminent retirement of LoE is going to totally blow up the meta, so tuning might be a bit premature? I'm not sure if there are any major tournaments coming up, but they have enough other metrics pointing to some level of equilibrium (even if it's comparatively few archetypes) that they may only do a target change to STB.

By this rationale, though, the meta is always about to change. At the release schedule they're aiming for, we're always just a couple months from new cards, or expansion and rotation. You can use that to justify never balancing anything ever.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I've been bashing my head against the wall with Rogue Reno C'Thun for a few weeks.

Yeah, it's just not strong enough vs curve aggro or jade druid.

Jade Druid can diaf...
    I totally see how it's the most mindless of decks...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    I've been bashing my head against the wall with Rogue Reno C'Thun for a few weeks.

Yeah, it's just not strong enough vs curve aggro or jade druid.

Jade Druid can diaf...
    I totally see how it's the most mindless of decks...

Yeah, I hate jades of all sorts... I just dislike the inevatability of the mechanic. And honestly the cards aren't even THAT bad when spawning 1/1's

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

maybe I'm just remembering him as part of secrets pally and don't have as much of a problem with it as I thought.

Dr. Boom was just 1 part of the Secrets curve and probably less important than Minibot, Muster, or Challenger imo.

There's less than a dozen 7+ mana minions (out of 100ish) that are played in the current meta and virtually all of them are tied to either fat taunts (AoW/Tirion), a board wipe (Abyssal Enforcer/Solia), or huge value generation (Antonidas/Jaraxxus). If you're going to run a card that slow then it needs to make either a huge board impact or threaten to win the game if it's not immediately dealt with.

We need more and better comeback swing plays like Boom, although ideally without the RNG that he and Yogg have.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I despise Reno so much.

Even if he was "set your health to 15," he'd be OK.

But as is, he's the worst.
    When Reno was announced, I hated the concept a bunch. Thought it would ruin the game for me.

After actually seeing him in pay, though, I was totally wrong, I really like Reno and the decks he enables

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shockingly, everyone has different opinions about the most abused/abusive cards in the game.

For me, undertaker hunters and secret paladins are the most unfun things the game has ever produced. Shaman are everywhere but at least Blizzard has been more proactive about addressing that problem--even if they've been totally unsuccessful. Trogg and Totem Golem will be gone on a few months and that's going to be pretty big.

I'm hopeful that after a year of Standard, Blizzard realizes that they need to be a little more proactive about addressing problem cards. Specifically, more cards from the Core set need to go to Wild, and a balance sweep every 4 months or so, just to shake things up between expansions.

I'm a big fan of the Blizzard's general hands off approach, but they've taken it too far. It's pretty clear that significant balance changes help shake up a stagnant meta game as much as a new set or expansion can. The game needs more of that and I think its players crave it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    See? Everyone's coming around to my idea of nerfing Warsong Commander again.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Just having a fixed date for a balancing patch halfway between content releases (so three times a year) would do wonders.

Semi-related, I think they just need to introduce more stuff to the game. The last real addition we got was tavern brawl ages ago. My favorite idea is a third game mode next to standard and wild where they take standard and just ban cards each month. One month they can just ban the 10 most played cards. The next month they do a public poll on their website. Then they pull in some pros and let them make a curated list of bans. Then they maybe ban every card that costs less than 3 mana. Or every charge minion and every spell that can go face. The possibilities are endless and since it's always only one month if doesn't even need to be super balanced, it just needs to be not totally broken (much like their philosophy with wild).

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    "Hotform's Shaman Rant"

I'll link this one, because it's pretty magical to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYGDPhdZKSQ

Recap: Renos for 29 hp on turn 5, Flamestrikes on curve, Shaman player misplays and doesn't have the absolute best draws (still a pretty good draw), loses not even close.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Yeah.. the Shaman did 62 damage by turn 9 with some misplays, turns not on curve and never getting a spell power totem.

That is fucking gross.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Dr boom was a bad card imo because so many decks ran it, and in the mid-range mid-range matchup whoever played out first seemed like they won. There was also no single card that answered it, so unless you were looking at lethal on the board, there were so few instances of not playing it as soon as you had the chance

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Dr. Boom and Secrets Pally were, to me, worse than what we have now

Druid was great during those times so I am super biased :(

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Dr boom was a bad card imo because so many decks ran it, and in the mid-range mid-range matchup whoever played out first seemed like they won. There was also no single card that answered it, so unless you were looking at lethal on the board, there were so few instances of not playing it as soon as you had the chance

Lightbomb answered boom!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I always though Dr Boom was fine, we need MORE awesome cards at 7+ mana, not fewer. The problem was that he was the best 7 drop by far and if you were running any kind of midrange or control deck he was there.

The problem isn't powerful cards, it's lack of meaningful choice. The 5-slot has been a dumpster for anything not Azure Drake, Sludge Belcher, and Healbot, and now that the latter two are in Wild everybody runs drakes. It's boring, and we need more choice in that slot. And probably need to put Drake into Wild, frankly.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Interesting things you find, browsing the Hearthstone changelog of long, long ago, of what cards could have been:

* Illidan Stormrage: 7 mana 7/7 - Battlecry: Both players discard 3 cards and draw 3 cards.
    * Onyxia: When you draw a card, deal 2 damage to all characters.
    * Flame Imp: had Stealth.
    * Shieldbearer: Used to have Enrage: +1 Attack.
    * Mana Wyrm: was a 1 mana 0/3 with the current text.

Characters
  • Options

Dr. Boom was just 1 part of the Secrets curve and probably less important than Minibot, Muster, or Challenger imo.

There's less than a dozen 7+ mana minions (out of 100ish) that are played in the current meta and virtually all of them are tied to either fat taunts (AoW/Tirion), a board wipe (Abyssal Enforcer/Solia), or huge value generation (Antonidas/Jaraxxus). If you're going to run a card that slow then it needs to make either a huge board impact or threaten to win the game if it's not immediately dealt with.

We need more and better comeback swing plays like Boom, although ideally without the RNG that he and Yogg have.

I totally agree with you that high cost minions need to be more impactful. I would say that Boom falls in the value category as there wasn't 1 single card that could effectively deal with it. But honestly, 7+ mana cards need to be that way. How much better would Cenarius be if he was the body that had taunt and not his Treants?

The frustrating thing about Druid is that our core power fantasy is ramping up into large minions, but there are so few large minions worth ramping into. Not only that, but sometimes you ramp into these monsters and they get dealt with so easily you often wonder what the point is. I've played turn 3 Ancient of War against shaman that he just ran right over.

I can understand the trepidation about making more Dr. Booms at Neutral where they'll see play in practically every deck, but like, it's ok to limit that kind of power strictly to class cards.

What i'm saying is, give me non-legendary versions of Dr. Boom like cards in Druids so I have a function end game that's worth ramping towards. My only other option is Jade Druid and that gets eaten alive by STB and weapons.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think Blizzard could do a by looking at what classes lack/have an overabundance of good drops per mana slot. Priest, for example, has a lot of hot garbage for slots 1-3, most of the playable cards being removal.

• Options
    There isn't a card that comes to mind that I've thought shouldn't exist because it's too oppressive.

There are, meanwhile, many cards I think shouldn't exist because they are so terrible/disappointing that I would rather there be no card in that slot than be reminded that they printed this card and it took up a precious card slot.

Characters
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    There isn't a card that comes to mind that I've thought shouldn't exist because it's too oppressive.

There are, meanwhile, many cards I think shouldn't exist because they are so terrible/disappointing that I would rather there be no card in that slot than be reminded that they printed this card and it took up a precious card slot.

so stb is okay?

i think stb is oppressive.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    See? Everyone's coming around to my idea of nerfing Warsong Commander again.

I think every few months they should continually nerf Warsong Commander so that in a few years it's a 6 cost 0/0 with Battlecry: Spawn Kel'Thzad and Sylvanas for your opponent.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options

I totally agree with you that high cost minions need to be more impactful. I would say that Boom falls in the value category as there wasn't 1 single card that could effectively deal with it. But honestly, 7+ mana cards need to be that way. How much better would Cenarius be if he was the body that had taunt and not his Treants?

The frustrating thing about Druid is that our core power fantasy is ramping up into large minions, but there are so few large minions worth ramping into. Not only that, but sometimes you ramp into these monsters and they get dealt with so easily you often wonder what the point is. I've played turn 3 Ancient of War against shaman that he just ran right over.

I can understand the trepidation about making more Dr. Booms at Neutral where they'll see play in practically every deck, but like, it's ok to limit that kind of power strictly to class cards.

What i'm saying is, give me non-legendary versions of Dr. Boom like cards in Druids so I have a function end game that's worth ramping towards. My only other option is Jade Druid and that gets eaten alive by STB and weapons.

You would probably like Underworld Watchman Khawy from Shadowverse.

7 mana 4/5 Taunt, Deathrattle: Randomly Destroy one of the highest attack minions your opponent controls and heal your hero for X life, where X is that destroyed minion's Attack.

It even has the word Random on it, so that's like, +10 brownie points for Team 5.

Characters
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Neutral minions were.....a mistake.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I think Blizzard could do a by looking at what classes lack/have an overabundance of good drops per mana slot. Priest, for example, has a lot of hot garbage for slots 1-3, most of the playable cards being removal.
    Passing turn 2 is the soul of the class.

• Options
    Neutral minions were.....a mistake.

I think the mistake was having neutral minions be so good. I think it makes sense that they compliment a build or fill a hole. But I think having the best 4 drop or 7 drop be a neutral minion leads to the format revolving around very specific neutrals that power multiple decks.