As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Cyborg looked terrible. Every time he was on screen I had this huge sense of uncanny valley.

Other than that though, it didn't look bad. There wasn't anything I was excited about, but I think that's more because of the pall that WB has over these films right now rather than what was actually in the trailer. I think if we didn't have the debacle that was BvS, I'd be cautiously excited right now.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Aquaman is... interesting. Kind of reminds me of Lobo. And lordy, that's a lot of darkness.

Good editing and choice of music, though.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Question on Barry from the trailer
    He appears to be visiting someone in prison. I don't know much about Barry Allen's parents, but is the movie ripping off the TV show?

Aquaman seemed a little too much.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    He appears to be visiting someone in prison. I don't know much about Barry Allen's parents, but is the movie ripping off the TV show?

Like I said, Lobo (what I know of him) came to mind for some odd reason.

edzepp on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    This is like their biggest movie of the year, right? Why is the trailer being released on a Saturday?
    To gauge the reception instead of having the response run all weekend. It's nerves.

• Options
    Barry Allen
    His father goes to jail for the murder of his mother, but he's innocent. Barry's nemesis, the Reverse Flash, goes back in time from the far future and murders her. The CW Flash does a good job of covering the story, and the point of putting that one scene in the trailer is to put us at a point in time for Flash's story.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Barry Allen
    His father goes to jail for the murder of his mother, but he's innocent. Barry's nemesis, the Reverse Flash, goes back in time from the far future and murders her. The CW Flash does a good job of covering the story, and the point of putting that one scene in the trailer is to put us at a point in time for Flash's story.

Ok, so it's always been part of his backstory. Didn't know that.

• Options
    Trailer thoughts.
    Blue filter still paints the world in darkness; I realize this is a "stylistic" choice, but it continues to look bad.
    We'll be getting some (if not all) of Cyborg (Victor Stone)'s backstory. Athlete, father's a scientist, we see a motherbox looking like it's about to explode and a parademon. That's his classic origin; shit goes wrong, gets machine parts to replace the human bits that don't work. It looks like it's everything but his head, though, which... well, I think less would be more in this case.
    We also see a bit of Arthur's backstory; a flash of Mera (his partner/wife, depending on when they set this).
    And a touchstone for Barry, him visiting his father in prison. For a second, I thought it was Bruce Campbell :lol: ... which would have been rad, actually.

Ah, so we're sticking with psychotic rich guy beats up criminals for fun?
    "What are your superpowers again?"
    "I'm rich."
    It's a bit on the nose.

Jason Momoa seems super enthusiastic during most of his scenes, he's emoting well.

I saw BvS and SS in theaters, I'll probably see this one too. I'm expecting it'll be terrible.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I wonder how many times they're going to remind the audience that the city is totally empty because the work day is over and everyone went home, so there's absolutely no one in the streets or in all those buildings they're blowing up.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Barry Allen
    Ok, so it's always been part of his backstory. Didn't know that.
    Eh, "always" in this case means the last like decade or whatever. Established in one of the many DC reboots.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm past the point where I feel optimism for DC based on their trailers: they've all looked good and they've all over-hyped the movie in question.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The trailer has this... Truck commercial quality to it.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I expect to see a new Jeep ad soon. Something something Ready something something United *cut to various colors of same Jeep* buy a Jeep.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it looks good. Nothing more than that, it's a generic team-up, but I like the Flash fight design (a little bit like Quicksilver's from X-Men), but if they just make fights as good as BvS that's all they need to get a ticket purchase out of me, and a little bit lighter Bruce is in keeping with where he is right now in the comics so I'm fine with that. Aquaman might be hit or miss, might steer too close into Drax territory but he's the style at the time.

Cyborg looks bad. It doesn't look motion captured with the guy playing Vic in the suit, just someone doing the suit stuff and him trying to copy it on another screen to cut and paste his face where appropriate.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    There appears to be a lot of backstory in that trailer, which is alarming because a) they are gonna try to cram all that in and b) it's almost certainly gonna be styled like the videos we saw in BvS

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Watching the trailer really made me wish Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, and Ben Affleck where in a better movie.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's something about the CG that... itches. Like I'm acutely aware these are people standing in front of a green screen. Marvel movies have done this too, especially the really fantastical ones like Doctor Strange. I dunno though, it just feels more pronounced here. Might be because like many other people, I'm looking at this from a lens of skepticism and not pure excitement.

Jason Momoa seems like he's just playing Ronon from Stargate Atlantis here, but that's hardly a bad thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSKqMZxW8_o

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm well past giving these things the benefit of the doubt, but. That don't look so bad.

I mean Cyborg looks terrible.

And the sudden gear shift to jokes jokes jokes is on the nose.

But yeh, looks cool.

As I said before, this is going to make JL the most awkward and uneven of the movies. It's going to be a poorly implemented bandaid to all the criticisms, an attempt to say "Look, we aren't all darkness! Look at all these JOKES!". The last desperate cry from a dying concept.

At least that's what I'm hoping. I know I'm not going to get much agreement here, but if JL really did do bad enough that we would get the hard reboot we're all hoping for, I honestly want it to be a complete reboot. In other words, I don't want any of the actors to return. I know Affleck, Gadot and Cavill had the potential, but there's been so much shit that's taitned that talent that I would much prefer they start over and leave nothing that reminds me of the disaster that is DCCU.

Sony took the lumps when they did this with Spider-Man, but jokes aside, it paid off. I'm significantly more interested in the next Spidey movie than I've been with the character in a long time. His appearance in Civil War alone was enough to restore a lot of goodwill, so I feel real optimistic that the gamble paid off.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I wonder how many times they're going to remind the audience that the city is totally empty because the work day is over and everyone went home, so there's absolutely no one in the streets or in all those buildings they're blowing up.

Since Batman is super rich, always plans ahead and with what happened in Gothampolis; he's built several cities in unpopulated areas around the world. Or Flash goes and starts picking people up and when the people start thanking him he's going to get a whole lot of confidence and enjoy being a superhero cause he didn't have a lot of friends or whatever. That thus that character arc is resolved AND people can say "The Flash did it!" from now on. He probably did it in BvS.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It seems very, very busy, worse even than BvS in that regard. Are they really going to do the resurrection of Superman in this one too, or will that wait for Part 2 (if it ever comes?)

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Aquaman is... interesting. Kind of reminds me of Lobo. And lordy, that's a lot of darkness.

Actually I found that this trailer came over way less grimdark than the movies before

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Actually I found that this trailer came over way less grimdark than the movies before

I dunno, to me it feels like a grim dark trailer recut at the last minute to a more cheerful song...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    After seeing the trailer, all I can think to say is: I can't wait to watch the RedLetterMedia review of JL.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    There's things I like about the justice league trailers; I like that the general concept seems to be everybody kinda poking fun at Bruce for being a big downer all the time. Their music choices are if not inspired at least upbeat. The lighting is still kinda grimdarky looks less so that BvS

I dunno, you can kinda squint at it and see a good movie, but it probably won't be

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    There's things I like about the justice league trailers; I like that the general concept seems to be everybody kinda poking fun at Bruce for being a big downer all the time. Their music choices are if not inspired at least upbeat. The lighting is still kinda grimdarky looks less so that BvS

I dunno, you can kinda squint at it and see a good movie, but it probably won't be

All of DC's trailers have looked good.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Suicide Squad looked pretty bad from the get go, non? Then they cranked out the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer later.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    This is your semi-annual reminder that the Man of Steel trailer is so good, as a 3 minute short film it's the best Superman movie ever made:

https://youtu.be/T6DJcgm3wNY

And then the full movie was garbage. Trailers mean nothing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

All of DC's trailers have looked good.

BvS's first trailer openly gave us the line "Do you bleed? You will".

If you thought that looked good its on you.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The opening bit of the trailer with the mountains and all reminded me of the baffling bits of both Man of Steel AND BvS where Superman goes on a sojourn to a naturescape and... imagines things? Like... fake conversations with dead people mostly? No idea why we're STILL doing this, but I guess we are. I will say, this mostly off brand take on the JL couldn't be a better fit for the shitty shit shit New 52 Justice League backstory Geoff Johns cooked up in Justice League War. So that's a point in their favor. Versus BvS reaching for Dark Knight Returns, Red Son (in one sequence only), and Death of Superman and fumbling all three at once.

• Options

Whoops. I meant the color palette. I agree that it's less grim.

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This is your semi-annual reminder that the Man of Steel trailer is so good, as a 3 minute short film it's the best Superman movie ever made:

Say what you will about Hans Zimmer, but his idea of a Superman theme was a small town marching band and it's fucking perfect

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The opening bit of the trailer with the mountains and all reminded me of the baffling bits of both Man of Steel AND BvS where Superman goes on a sojourn to a naturescape and... imagines things? Like... fake conversations with dead people mostly? No idea why we're STILL doing this, but I guess we are. I will say, this mostly off brand take on the JL couldn't be a better fit for the shitty shit shit New 52 Justice League backstory Geoff Johns cooked up in Justice League War. So that's a point in their favor. Versus BvS reaching for Dark Knight Returns, Red Son (in one sequence only), and Death of Superman and fumbling all three at once.

Maybe this is me being pessimistic, but I feel like it's a naked attempt to invoke the opening act of Batman Begins.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

Say what you will about Hans Zimmer, but his idea of a Superman theme was a small town marching band and it's fucking perfect

On behalf of John Williams, I will fight you.

• Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Aquaman and Batman looked cool.

The CGI however is terrible and seems rushed, which is bad because the villains look to be entirely CGI. Cyborg is the biggest offender here.

The demons looked better in Batman vs Superman, so I kinda expected the same or better in this trailer...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »
    Aquaman and Batman looked cool.

The CGI however is terrible and seems rushed, which is bad because the villains look to be entirely CGI. Cyborg is the biggest offender here.

The demons looked better in Batman vs Superman, so I kinda expected the same or better in this trailer...
    I'm seeing the crapiness of the CGI excused as "It'll be fixed by the time of release!". Yeah, if you can't put finished product in the trailer, or can't focus the CGI efforts for trailer specific purposes, that just shows a level of amateurishness that shouldn't be glossed over.

ESPECIALLY when WBDC have lost all benefit of the doubt. When they show an unprofessional trailer, I'm not going to expect more until they prove they're capable of it. 7/19 adequate or better since Keaton's Batman (5 Batman's, Watchmen, and Constantine, yeah, I know, but I liked it). 0/3 under current management.

Even if the trailer was flawless, I'd still be skeptical until I saw the movie. But as KingofMadCows said on the previous page, Sigh... borg (stealing it!) shows they're not even deserving of that.

• Options

The opening bit of the trailer with the mountains made me wonder why the fuck billionaire Bruce Wayne riding horseback to a coastal town. Pretty sure he's got a damn yacht or seven. But I guess that would be too much like Tony Stark. Sailing up to a small town in a huge boat, looking for one guy. Nope, gotta take the long way through rugged terrain, probably for that Jeep ad, camp out for a day and then ride into town from the area where few actually go.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The opening bit of the trailer with the mountains made me wonder why the fuck billionaire Bruce Wayne riding horseback to a coastal town. Pretty sure he's got a damn yacht or seven. But I guess that would be too much like Tony Stark. Sailing up to a small town in a huge boat, looking for one guy. Nope, gotta take the long way through rugged terrain, probably for that Jeep ad, camp out for a day and then ride into town from the area where few actually go.

Feeds into the image of Snyder's Batman being a rugged individual, in contrast to that coastal elite Tony Stark.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ignoring everything else for a moment, I do love that they explicitly called out that Batman's super power is basically that he's a "rich" dude.

subedii on
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.