As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I realize Wonder Woman's an IP that's a tough nut to crack, but this shouldn't that difficult. We know they're stealing the shit out of Thor, and The First Avenger (which aren't a bad foundation) so they should have a clearer idea of how to get this right. C'Mon, WB - get your act together, it's embarrassing being a DC fan.

Now when you say embarrassing, are we talking stereotypical "I... actually like... aquaman" or is this straight up "explaining Retcon punch territory"

Retcon punch, Affleck and Gadot deserve a better franchise than this monstrosity.

I'm surprised you didn't include poor Cavil in the mix; that poor bastard had to star in two of these abortions.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I realize Wonder Woman's an IP that's a tough nut to crack, but this shouldn't that difficult. We know they're stealing the shit out of Thor, and The First Avenger (which aren't a bad foundation) so they should have a clearer idea of how to get this right. C'Mon, WB - get your act together, it's embarrassing being a DC fan.

Now when you say embarrassing, are we talking stereotypical "I... actually like... aquaman" or is this straight up "explaining Retcon punch territory"

Retcon punch, Affleck and Gadot deserve a better franchise than this monstrosity.

I'm surprised you didn't include poor Cavil in the mix; that poor bastard had to star in two of these abortions.

He's the one who suffers most of all. It's a shame, I totally bought him as a great Superman actor with his role in Man From UNCLE. I'd say they should get his other co-star, Alicia Vikander, in the DCEU except they'd waste her talent like that have most of their actresses.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Wonder Woman isn't a difficult IP. She's about as goofy as Black Panther (royal black ninja guy from made up African country that produces unobtanium) and definitely less goofy than Doctor Strange (surgeon turned magician fighting Cthulthu).

If you can't come up with a script that can cover warrior turned diplomat turned warrior from bikini babe island with Superman(ish) levels of power, then you should go back to the third draft of the next Transformers movie you're working on and reflect on how you're a bad person.

Writing movies might not be the easiest thing, but there are actual professional people who do that for a living. Unfortunately, Snyder and crew don't seem to know any of those people, and worse, seem to think that they are those people. Again, Suicide Squad was written in six weeks. The problem isn't IPs that are difficult to work with, it's WB being a bunch of no talent ass clowns hiring no talent ass clowns.

And the whole damn mess is probably going to end up making well over $500M regardless the quality.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    daveNYC wrote: »

Wonder Woman isn't a difficult IP. She's about as goofy as Black Panther (royal black ninja guy from made up African country that produces unobtanium) and definitely less goofy than Doctor Strange (surgeon turned magician fighting Cthulthu).

If you can't come up with a script that can cover warrior turned diplomat turned warrior from bikini babe island with Superman(ish) levels of power, then you should go back to the third draft of the next Transformers movie you're working on and reflect on how you're a bad person.

Writing movies might not be the easiest thing, but there are actual professional people who do that for a living. Unfortunately, Snyder and crew don't seem to know any of those people, and worse, seem to think that they are those people. Again, Suicide Squad was written in six weeks. The problem isn't IPs that are difficult to work with, it's WB being a bunch of no talent ass clowns hiring no talent ass clowns.

And the whole damn mess is probably going to end up making well over $500M regardless the quality.

I agree with you. However many, many writers (and editors) have struggled with her over the silliest reasons in the comics so it's not shocking to me if it is occurring on the movie side. One of those writers? Geoff Johns. Thankfully she's been ok on the cartoon side.

edit: This is why in the comics they kept on making her go through arcs about revisiting her origins, discover "who she is," made Zeus her father because they couldn't "connect" with her, and they keep turning the Amazons into straw feminists.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I agree with you. However many, many writers (and editors) have struggled with her over the silliest reasons in the comics so it's not shocking to me if it is occurring on the movie side. One of those writers? Geoff Johns. Thankfully she's been ok on the cartoon side.

edit: This is why in the comics they kept on making her go through arcs about revisiting her origins, discover "who she is," made Zeus her father because they couldn't "connect" with her, and they keep turning the Amazons into straw feminists.

Well also because she's the female superhero. And so, they think, she needs to be relatable to every woman. If she can't be every woman, god dammit they'll retool her until she is, no matter how much her character gets mangled in the process.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Shadowen wrote: »

Well also because she's the female superhero. And so, they think, she needs to be relatable to every woman. If she can't be every woman, god dammit they'll retool her until she is, no matter how much her character gets mangled in the process.

I've found the default is her warrior side. Which is ok, she is a warrior - except they keep forgetting that she's compassionate, an intellectual, well educated, occasionally they think she doesn't know what a car is (?), and an ambassador. She's evolved into a brilliant character through the decades, but they just want to write about Xena. Xena's the other lady, fellas.

edit: I was amused how Snyder's take was actually pretty ok, he did better than a lot of comic writers in his shoes. However, that may because she was limited to a glorified cameo.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It should be super easy to establish Wonder Woman's backstory and make her a big part of the DC universe. Make it so that long ago, magic was causing havoc in the mortal world or maybe it was attracting the attention of entities like Nekron and Darkseid so the most powerful magic users and the gods decided to seal it up to protect humanity. Themyscira is on top of a magical nexus, the entrance to Tartarus, and the Amazons are tasked with keeping the magic locked away. That would explain why there's so little magic in the modern world. Some disaster happens and magic is released back into the world and Wonder Woman has to go to the mortal world to stop whatever threat that caused the disaster. But in the end, she can't put all the magic back so she becomes an ambassador to the mortal world to help it deal with magical threats.

Other magical stuff can be introduced as a result of what happened in the Wonder Woman movie. Gateways to places like Nanda Parbat and Gemworld are opened. Dr. Fate and Shazam come back to battle evil magic. Characters like Constantine, Etrigan, and the Shadowpact could be introduced as secret agents who were supposed to help find magical stuff that were left behind and keep magic hidden.

Not only does that establish Wonder Woman's backstory and explains why there aren't magical heroes and villains running around, it makes her an integral part of the universe and you can put her in all the spin off movies with magic.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

I've found the default is her warrior side. Which is ok, she is a warrior - except they keep forgetting that she's compassionate, an intellectual, well educated, occasionally they think she doesn't know what a car is (?), and an ambassador. She's evolved into a brilliant character through the decades, but they just want to write about Xena. Xena's the other lady, fellas.

edit: I was amused how Snyder's take was actually pretty ok, he did better than a lot of comic writers in his shoes. However, that may because she was limited to a glorified cameo.

Snyder's take was Gadot in an evening gown and then the fight scene. There was minimal (at best) actual character development for her.

Wonder Woman's character is pretty straight forward. She's the expression of one man's three-way relationship with two women (which might have been into some light bondage) and his work on commercializing the polygraph. So after having a staring contest with that particular abyss, throw all that in the trash and write her character as a Culture Special Circumstances agent stuck dealing with Earth. She's superpowered, comes from an effectively post-scarcity society with full equality, and is stuck dealing with a bunch of marginally dangerous primitive screwheads and attempting to get to the point where her society can have open relations with them.

Then you have Superman as the optimist, Batman as the cynic, and Wonder Woman as the pragmatic one.

• Options
    Snyder's take was Gadot in an evening gown and then the fight scene. There was minimal (at best) actual character development for her.

The bar is very low for a reason.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Don't forget she also had a scene of opening an email and attachments. Also, please remember that Batman denied knowing her after emailing her in that fight scene, which is a solid knock against it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Don't forget she also had a scene of opening an email and attachments. Also, please remember that Batman denied knowing her after emailing her in that fight scene, which is a solid knock against it.

Marvel took a while to get their shit together by connecting their franchises, but they were never that sloppy or that blunt that they're advertising future movies.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Marvel took a while to get their shit together by connecting their franchises, but they were never that sloppy or that blunt that they're advertising future movies.

I thought this was pretty blunt at the time. Awesome, but blunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyjwkav3h_0

kyrcl.png
  • Options

I'd call it lazy. The Justice League cameos were bad cameos via Quicktime. They weren't even substantive enough to be call exposition dumps.

Exposition sharts at best.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I thought this was pretty blunt at the time. Awesome, but blunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyjwkav3h_0

Not as blunt as B vs S, it felt organic to me - it wasn't a bad video for the next four films y'know. lol

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    After credits scenes hardly count, those are expected to plug the next movie.
    But Marvel tend to limit it to post-credits, others give it a few scenes in the movie, which kills the momentum dead.
    Sony managed that with ASM2, with the Corridor of Future Supervillain Outfits to say 'We're planning a dozen more of these, stay tuned!'. People didn't want to stay tuned.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I think the thing Harry was getting at is that, unlike the biggest superheroes, WW's origins and supporting cast are all over the damn place. Even with all the retcons and revisions, everyone knows what the deal is with Superman and Batman, and who they hang around with. With Wonder Woman, she's on this island without men for some reason? Maybe was made out of clay, or not? And has this invisible jet? The details seem to change every five years, and it can get goofy far too fast in the wrong hands. And most people would be hard pressed to name Steve Trevor, much less the many other people that have rotated in and out of her life over the decades.

All that said, it can also be a strong opportunity for a skilled creative team to pick, choose and revise to create their own take on the character. It's been done in the comics, and could be done in movies. The worrying part is WB's track record, or lack thereof. Snyder seems hell-bent on shoehorning beats from the comics even if they don't actually do anything with them. (Ultimately, very little came of "old Batman" other than HAI GUYS WE DID DARK KNIGHT RETURNS COMIC FANS WILL WORSHIP US.) I'm afraid the same will apply to Wonder Woman, and they'll ape things from the comics but not really take the time to ensure it makes for a great story for a modern audience.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It seems that the Captain Marvel Shazam movie is being made......and so is a Black Adam movie too. Makes sense to capitalize on The Rock's starpower and there's something decent to be told in having Adam go anti-hero after fighting Billy where he just goes to notLibya or notSyria and just cleans it up via force, like in JSA. But that seems to run against the rumblings The Rock himself has said about the DCCU planning on being more upbeat and fun.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Remember, having fun in Batman v Superman was murdering Jimmy Olsen in the opening minutes.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I still think it was a criminal miscasting to have Johnson play Black Adam instead of Shazam proper. I can't imagine a better actor for the role of a little kid put into the body of a superhero.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, you tell me the Rock is gonna be in Shazam and I was thinking clearly he'd be Captain Marvel himself because he would totally rock that. Oh, he's the forgettable villain who could be played by like any of a billion other actors? Yeah, sure, whatever.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd write Wonder Woman as being powerful enough to overpower the rest of the world (not counting anything else hidden like Atlantis or beings like Superman), being entirely comfortable with having that power and the possibility of using it, but holding back because she's concerned that doing so would lead to a chain of events that results in her and her people inevitably ruling everything. She wouldn't necessarily mind that and occasionally finds it tempting, but doing so would lead to violating her principles about freedom. Her motivation to leave Themyscira could be based on recognizing that the world has reached a state where it needs her help, but she's not sure exactly what that help needs to be.

For her, the Justice League could be a way to fully wield her powers without needing to worry about the consequences of doing so. Her victories would be the world's, not Themyscira's.

Maybe throw in a bondage metaphor, if you feel like it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's rumors from the same source that said BvS was running into issues, that WW is indeed having pacing and editing problems

*sigh*

• Options
    edited January 2017
    There's rumors from the same source that said BvS was running into issues, that WW is indeed having pacing and editing problems

*sigh*

I'm honestly kind of mystified that WB is having these kinds of amateur hour problems with basic components of film making;I expect this kind of shit from Cannon or Troma, not from one of the original Mogul studios.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I like DCAU badass aquaman

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

5b7548e9ff3b518d7f4ab5d7f7f65783.jpg

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

5b7548e9ff3b518d7f4ab5d7f7f65783.jpg

I liked how the JLU version f the atom made a farting sound as he changed sizes.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It seems that the Captain Marvel Shazam movie is being made......and so is a Black Adam movie too. Makes sense to capitalize on The Rock's starpower and there's something decent to be told in having Adam go anti-hero after fighting Billy where he just goes to notLibya or notSyria and just cleans it up via force, like in JSA. But that seems to run against the rumblings The Rock himself has said about the DCCU planning on being more upbeat and fun.

The Rock's star power isn't going to do save anything, if Affleck can barely hold things together.

• Options
    Yea, you tell me the Rock is gonna be in Shazam and I was thinking clearly he'd be Captain Marvel himself because he would totally rock that. Oh, he's the forgettable villain who could be played by like any of a billion other actors? Yeah, sure, whatever.

Black Adam is a terrific villain, and the Rock will is a suitable actor for the role. Bad writing will hurt either of those characters.

• Options
    Advantage: The general movie-viewing public has never heard of Black Adam (heck, I'd never heard of him until I played Injustice), so there will be no protest if they alter the character.
    Disadvantage: Since no-one has heard of it as a superhero name, the title makes it sound like an Oscar-bait movie about someone named Adam dealing with racial prejudice.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Advantage: The general movie-viewing public has never heard of Black Adam (heck, I'd never heard of him until I played Injustice), so there will be no protest if they alter the character.
    Disadvantage: Since no-one has heard of it as a superhero name, the title makes it sound like an Oscar-bait movie about someone named Adam dealing with racial prejudice.

Geoff Johns' wrote him specularly in his Justice Society books. He's an intriguing, anti-hero sort like Wolverine. Ironically Snyder may be a good influence on his character, though he'd miss the fact that people aren't supposed to agree with him.

• Options

As if the general public knows who Captain Marvel is.

Even DC doesn't know what to do with him.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Thankfully the cartoon side know how to write the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZO5qgs4Px0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0mGW8-UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfNRrcFNVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNsnWRa2Ys

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Captain Marvel at least sounds like a superhero name.
    edit: I thought they'd given up calling him that, and just made it Shazam now?

klemming on
  • Options

Captain Marvel at least sounds like a superhero name.

He's Shazam now, Captain Marvel is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtKRU2_x-04

• Options
    DC can't even get their own guy's name right.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Wasn't this trailer proven to be a fake?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

Yes, but the point remains true.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

The point could've been made without using a known fake trailer.

Or at least noting that it was at the time.

This isn't Twitter, there's room for context.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

The point could've been made without using a known fake trailer.

Or at least noting that it was at the time.

This isn't Twitter, there's room for context.

Fair enough.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

Geoff Johns' wrote him specularly in his Justice Society books. He's an intriguing, anti-hero sort like Wolverine. Ironically Snyder may be a good influence on his character, though he'd miss the fact that people aren't supposed to agree with him.

Sort of like the DCCU's Aquaman!

This discussion has been closed.