As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    They're definitely giving Cyborg
    some of Blue Beetle's character arc. Alien language in his head. The robotic side might be controlling him. His system's defense system forcing him to do something really stupid. Next time, he'll be talking about how the meat is crashing the mode.
    They should have replaced him with Jaime Reyes.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Basically DC took the 2nd most well-known (And probably best-selling) group in comics and turned it into "s'alright"??

Basically DC took the 2nd most well-known (And probably best-selling) group in comics and turned it into "s'alright"??

WB's lucky Whedon was able to co-direct, the film would have been ten times worse with Snyder's complete control. He hasn't learnt a thing from B vs S

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

WB's lucky Whedon was able to co-direct, the film would have been ten times worse with Snyder's complete control. He hasn't learnt a thing from B vs S

Thing is, these guys knew what Snyder's style was like. Anyone could've figured out it would've been a poor fit.

And this declaration to cut it down to below 2 hours? What? Okay, yeah, I admit Marvel has been high-balling it with some of their films and they probably could've benefited from a snip, but this is your grand, epic, balls-to-the-wall Team Up. Give it time to breathe! If it naturally works at under 2 hours, then good! But arbitrarily shortening it is a bad idea!

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    "What's the best thing about Earth" or favourite thing about Earth. Then it cuts off.

Oreo cookies. Surprise! The happy hopeful Superman is actually Martian Manhunter in disguise, thus explaining away all continuity issues with Superman's characterization.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

Thing is, these guys knew what Snyder's style was like. Anyone could've figured out it would've been a poor fit.

And this declaration to cut it down to below 2 hours? What? Okay, yeah, I admit Marvel has been high-balling it with some of their films and they probably could've benefited from a snip, but this is your grand, epic, balls-to-the-wall Team Up. Give it time to breathe! If it naturally works at under 2 hours, then good! But arbitrarily shortening it is a bad idea!

Wasn't Thor 3 meant to be 90mins at one point, almost makes you wonder if that bit was poker

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Saw it, I'd put it at around Avengers 2 for me quality wise.
    It had some pacing issues, it had some character issues, it had some big villain issues, etc. But the overall movie still worked well enough.
    WW was a more solid/better movie, but looking at it compared to the previous 2 superman movies, BvS, and Suicide Squad it's leagues better (hah!) to say the least.

Pacing
    The Superman bit at the beginning was the most Superman we've seen this Supes ever be... but it was just so out of place at the start. It was a nice scene that really didn't go anywhere.
    The whole introduction of everyone and the threat felt like it could have been tightened up a great deal.
    Once everything was up to pace it went well enough, but it took some time to get there.

Characters
    Flash was annoying. Everyone else was established in their roles other than Flash and Cyborg. It's cool if they wanted him to be a lighthearted jokester, but he was like a bad jewish skit stepped into the Flash suit.

Superman.
    I REALLY didn't want him back in this movie. I was hoping for a Lantern, especially after they teased it in the flashback. Once Supes showed up he made the rest of the team irrelevant. Steppenwolf handed everyone one of the League their ass, but Clark tossed him around like a joke. It took him running off to carry a building full of civilians (also completely outclassing the Flash) for there to even be a final battle.

I get that Darkseid is WAY more powerful than his underlings, and will contrast the fight with Steppenwolf quite a bit if he's the big bad in the next movie, but that doesn't help this movie in the here and now.

Using a lantern would have given them all their day, setup for Superman to be back in the next, where he could toss Steppenwolf around like a joke and then get slapped down by the big boss.

Cyborg looked terrible frequently and just ok at best. His hoodie scenes were the only ones that were passable. His role was straight up deus ex machina (in a more literal than usual sense). He didn't seem to have much personality until the very end, and I think someone else would have worked much better. Blue Beetle, one of the lanterns, someone that could look "normal" and be in the movie more without them having to worry about the SFX budget.

Steppenwolf
    Was an ok villain in general. But considering how much "history" they gave him in the movie there really wasn't much development there.
    The whole "unity" thing with the motherboxes was just... odd. It really made no sense.
    It was over complicated, overwrought, and was more or less abandoned for "they will destroy the world" towards the end anyways.

Just make them the McGuffin they are, don't even try to pretend why he needs them, just that he is after them. They had boom tubes going all over the place and no one even mentioned them in the movie. They didn't have that in the flashback, he left on a spaceship. So it's not like there was a, "well, that's just how they arrive/leave" thing setup... I almost feel like he was originally saying, "For Darkseid" all the time, and someone decided they didn't want to spoil it, and so they went and just copy/pasted "Unity" there in the script instead save for the one mention for fans to get.

A lot of those are nitpicky, but others were some pretty big issues. Much like AOU had as well. Didn't make me hate it, but it could have been so, so much better than it was as well.

Yeah, I'd be fine with a 3 hour JLA movie.

MoS Snyder on Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-qUhHZpMQ

Who's laughing now?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed this!

It's got some massive problems, but I had fun throughout. It was clearly butchered in editing, but it was just about coherent. A ton of the cool action stuff from the trailer was missing. :I

Oh brilliant
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Me too... provided it was used properly.
    Whenever the sequel hits, I hope it's paced better since they got so much stuff out of the way in this one.

Me too... provided it was used properly.
    Whenever the sequel hits, I hope it's paced better since they got so much stuff out of the way in this one.

The good news is that the likely the Snyder era is over, I don't think he's coming back after this even if he wanted to. WB has been slowly improving, with WW and Justice League - the latter unintentionally since Whedon had to come in with circumstances outside WB's or Snyder's control. It'll be intriguing to see whose heads will roll with this development. Is Johns on notice, as well?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Isn't Grid a similar, more Cyborg oriented storyline

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Just got back, and I was alright.

I'd compare it to third tier Marvel like Thor 1 and 2- not bad, but definitely something I only care about seeing once.
    I like that they didn't hide the ball about bring back Superman, though it'd have been nice if there had been more interaction between him and the team. Or interaction between the team as a whole, really. It has the same flaw as the first Avengers- the movie is good at establishing each character in and of themselves, but doesn't spend enough time on everybody getting to know each other.

Flash and Cyborg were just kind of there, although the performances were good. I'm still morally opposed to Cyborg being a Leaguer- Static, Blue Beetle, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl are all better fits and more interesting characters. I squeed a little bit when they showed a Lantern in the flashback. The movie will probably suck, assuming it gets made at all, but it's neat to see live-action ring-slinging.

The movie is miles above BvS. I mean, Tommy Wiseau's The Room is miles above BvS, but I'll give credit where it's due.

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    It was thoroughly mediocre. A lot of questionable decisions leading to unintended humor. Why is Batman all “notice me, Superman” now? Are they seriously treating BvS with respect now with them being friends? Since when?

Overall, it’s disappointing that this is the Justice League that we get. It’s sad.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, sure. Whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s5ElKmQm4

Edit: "YOINK!"

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    It was thoroughly mediocre. A lot of questionable decisions leading to unintended humor. Why is Batman all “notice me, Superman” now? Are they seriously treating BvS with respect now with them being friends? Since when?

Overall, it’s disappointing that this is the Justice League that we get. It’s sad.

I submit that we (still) have six seasons of a much superior product.

They're just going to retcon the relationship between Batman and Superman into this:

https://youtu.be/4l5RK4MSL-o

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm all for that. Like I said, much superior product.

(Also, I just love the "... wtf?" look on Clark's face after he gets flipped.)

edited November 2017
    They're just going to retcon the relationship between Batman and Superman into this:

Pretty much. You can pinpoint the exact second this takes place in the DCEU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQtZ_vqimA

2:58

Harry Dresden on
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular

If we were only that lucky.

edited November 2017
    Supposedly Gal Gadot was unable to film several scenes, she was busy with WW promotions or something so they gave it to her stunt double/stand-in.
    Like in the reactionary terrorist bit, and when she's in the Bat cave talking to the group. The latter makes sense in retrospect, I wondered why she wasn't as talkative as she should be. Though why couldn't they have added in dialogue for her via looping?

Harry Dresden on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Batman has to tail Superman back to his apartment to discover his true identity. Then realizes that Superman doesn't disguise his face in any way so... what new information did he get by doing this?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Batman has to tail Superman back to his apartment to discover his true identity. Then realizes that Superman doesn't disguise his face in any way so... what new information did he get by doing this?

Basically to prove a point and to say "Now we're even".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Batman learned that Superman has a secret identity.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    What are you talking about?
    Clark Kent wears glasses. Superman doesn't wear glasses.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The best part of the Christopher Reeves Superman films was his Clark Kent, he even seemed physically different when he was doing his bumbling bit.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The best part of the Christopher Reeves Superman films was his Clark Kent, he even seemed physically different when he was doing his bumbling bit.

He slouched and even changed his gait for the Clark bits.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Look, as somebody who wore glasses as a kid, trust me, the "disguise" works. The number of people that didn't recognize me without my glasses was staggering.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, analysts pegged Justice League to open domestically at $110 million. That would be just above the $103.3 million for Wonder Woman but below $133.7 for Suicide Squad, $166 for Batman v Superman, and $116.6 million for Man of Steel. For those of you keeping score, Avengers opened at $207.4 million and the latest Thor opened at $122.7 million.

Justice League's actual opening weekend performance is on track for $96 million.

Expect hilarious executive freakouts in the months ahead.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, analysts pegged Justice League to open domestically at $110 million. That would be just above the $103.3 million for Wonder Woman but below $133.7 for Suicide Squad, $166 for Batman v Superman, and $116.6 million for Man of Steel. For those of you keeping score, Avengers opened at $207.4 million and the latest Thor opened at $122.7 million.

Justice League's actual opening weekend performance is on track for $96 million.

Expect hilarious executive freakouts in the months ahead.

The course of the DCEU as a whole financially makes me think of that one Simpsons scene.

"It is just a little airborne!"
    207HeDB.jpg

Couscous on
    Guardians 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming also opened higher than Justice League.

But at least Justice League beat Logan, an R rated movie with 1/3rd the budget.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Heads are going to *roll* on the Warner lot over this.

I'll be seeing it next Saturday with my dad.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2017
    I enjoyed the film in bits and pieces, though it was a very empty, soulless thing. Probably not a repeat watch, and I suspect we won't be getting the continuation of the story, so it kind of sucks as a final chapter on this whole thing if thats what happens.

Also, was it just me or did Zack really make sure Wonder Woman's ass was on prominent display a lot more than it was in her standalone film?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am sure they will say that at least overseas box office receipts were good.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hollywood movies are all produced by @Schrodinger.

They simultaneously did terribly (by Hollywood accounting), but then someone adds in the global sales and merch and licensing and bluray/dvd sales and suddenly it's okay, plus a few tax incentives and other perks go a long way... but if anyone looking for a slice of the pie asks it was a giant flop.

We might as well just embrace it being possible to be both, depending on who and when you ask.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I enjoyed the film in bits and pieces, though it was a very empty, soulless thing. Probably not a repeat watch, and I suspect we won't be getting the continuation of the story, so it kind of sucks as a final chapter on this whole thing if thats what happens.

Also, was it just me or did Zack really make sure Wonder Woman's ass was on prominent display a lot more than it was in her standalone film?

I never saw anything with Wonder Woman in uniform, I only saw one blatant ass shot with Diana, where she was waiting for Bruce and Barry to get off the jet and she's wearing the leather Buffy pants like it's 1998. But considering how Aquaman was basically Jason Mamoa from his Baywatch Hawaii days in the beginning of the movie, it gave fanservice to everyone.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's plenty to criticize the movie over, but it was one of the better Snyder movies as far as not objectifying women goes.

Not that any of the female characters really got to do anything except explain things to men, or provide emotional comfort to men. Baby steps.

edited November 2017
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Yeah, there's plenty to criticize the movie over, but it was one of the better Snyder movies as far as not objectifying women goes.

Not that any of the female characters really got to do anything except explain things to men, or provide emotional comfort to men. Baby steps.

Because half the movie wasn't directed by him. Whedon isn't without his faults on this issue
    the scene where Flash falls on WW's chest,
    but he has a better track record with this sort of thing. I cringe at the thought of what the movie would have looked like without Whedon's influence.

Apparently WB's exec called in Whedon to punch up the script, and minor directing before dyers family tragedy. That's one of the best decisions the WB brass have made with the DCEU.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.