As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Excellent news. Heard and seen many promising aspects in this film, don't let down WB.

http://comicsalliance.com/wonder-woman-movie-villain-identity/
    That mystery was apparently revealed by the French publication Studio Ciné Live who wrote a feature on Wonder Woman and dropped this key detail. Here’s what they had to say (via ComicBook.com):

Behind these scientific formulas, there is a deadly gas that could well annihilate humanity. Now, it turns out that this is precisely the goal of Ares, the god of war. He is jealous of humanity, which is a creation of his father, the deceased Zeus (he was killed by Ares when he rebelled against him, with the help of the Amazons) …
    My speculation for who is playing Ares? Danny Houston, he's the ghost axe murderer on American Horror Story: Coven. This may be a too obvious casting and it's someone else, though.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    This is not exactly super compelling.
    Poison gas isn't really exciting, and Ares as the villain is... OK? You could get a good scenery chewer in the role and it might be fun, but it doesn't have quite the potential of Hydra. Not that any of the other MCU baddies have been particularly interesting, or sometimes even remotely interesting (Loki excepted). Is that guy who played Baal on SG-1 available? His performance always had a good combination of humor, contempt and evil.

Because of the constraints of a superhero origin story, the plot is probably not going to be the most interesting thing ever. Which means that the movie is going to end up being carried by the charisma of the leads and whatever worldbuilding they do. And since it's a WB movie, the leads are going to have to be crazy charismatic to overcome the Yakov Smirnoff opening for Spin Doctors at the All-Iowa Fair mess that will be the plot, editing, and tone.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In the comics, when Martian Manhunter went evil, Plastic Man took him down. He was the only one with the physical ability/endurance who could.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Poison gas isn't really exciting, and Ares as the villain is... OK? You could get a good scenery chewer in the role and it might be fun, but it doesn't have quite the potential of Hydra. Not that any of the other MCU baddies have been particularly interesting, or sometimes even remotely interesting (Loki excepted). Is that guy who played Baal on SG-1 available? His performance always had a good combination of humor, contempt and evil.

Doesn't have to be compelling, merely competent and high enough quality to go over the low bar from the prior movies. Which shouldn't be that difficult. This seems to be a movie, or at least from what I get from the marketing, that relies on the characters to be interesting (or could be in theory) and there is nothing wrong with that. Marvel is where they are because they mastered this technique.
    Ares is a fantastic villain, certainly more interesting than Luther, Enchantress or Zod. Ares is one of the few villains in the DCU capable of being a HYDRA level threat, and the plot they're implied to be adapting is Gods and Monsters - where Ares tries to destroy the world during the Cold Wars with nukes by having lackeys infiltrating both sides.
    This, like any villainous groups, have potential, we'll see if Jenkins can deliver.
    Because of the constraints of a superhero origin story, the plot is probably not going to be the most interesting thing ever. Which means that the movie is going to end up being carried by the charisma of the leads and whatever worldbuilding they do. And since it's a WB movie, the leads are going to have to be crazy charismatic to overcome the Yakov Smirnoff opening for Spin Doctors at the All-Iowa Fair mess that will be the plot, editing, and tone.

Considering where the Murder-verse is right now them getting tis right would be a thumbs up from me. Baby steps. Gal has a huge gaol to accomplish as the lead, and from the supporting cast I know of in the them film what she can't do herself they'll carry the burden for her. As long as the director lets them. The editing is where I fear they're going to screw over this movie, like with Suicide Squad.

edit: Thor + Captain America: TFA + Wonder Woman. Don't screw up this brilliant concept, WB. You have one job.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The plot describtion sounds very derivative. Just of the top of my head I can thin of 2 movies that seem similar
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and the second Guy Ritchie Sherlock

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    The plot describtion sounds very derivative. Just of the top of my head I can thin of 2 movies that seem similar
    Those are 'start a war to profit from war' plots, this sounds like 'start a war to wipe out humanity because I don't like them'.
    The only common bit seems to be 'start a war', which is a tricky plot point to avoid when you're talking about a god of, you know, war.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Those are 'start a war to profit from war' plots, this sounds like 'start a war to wipe out humanity because I don't like them'.
    The only common bit seems to be 'start a war', which is a tricky plot point to avoid when you're talking about a god of , you know, war.

It's also the similar historic timeframe that reminded me of the other movies.

• Options
    Moonraker, and that had Jaws in it.

Doesn't have to be compelling, merely competent and high enough quality to go over the low bar from the prior movies. Which shouldn't be that difficult. This seems to be a movie, or at least from what I get from the marketing, that relies on the characters to be interesting (or could be in theory) and there is nothing wrong with that. Marvel is where they are because they mastered this technique.
    Ares is a fantastic villain, certainly more interesting than Luther, Enchantress or Zod. Ares is one of the few villains in the DCU capable of being a HYDRA level threat, and the plot they're implied to be adapting is Gods and Monsters - where Ares tries to destroy the world during the Cold Wars with nukes by having lackeys infiltrating both sides.
    This, like any villainous groups, have potential, we'll see if Jenkins can deliver.

Considering where the Murder-verse is right now them getting tis right would be a thumbs up from me. Baby steps. Gal has a huge gaol to accomplish as the lead, and from the supporting cast I know of in the them film what she can't do herself they'll carry the burden for her. As long as the director lets them. The editing is where I fear they're going to screw over this movie, like with Suicide Squad.

edit: Thor + Captain America: TFA + Wonder Woman. Don't screw up this brilliant concept, WB. You have one job.

Competent and better than Suicide Squad (which I guess is the 'best' of the current DC movies) still gets you a pretty bad movie, and that's assuming they manage the 'competent' bit. Which isn't something I'd want to put much money on.

Luthor and Zod could have been great enemies. The fact that WB seems incapable of producing non-idiotic scripts isn't an indictment of the quality of those character concepts.

I think you might have a bit too much faith in Gadot's acting. She's not horrible, but for this to work (as in 'be a good movie', not just 'make tons of cash', since AFAIK breaking $500M with one of these movies is pretty much a given unless you Fant4stic it) she's going to have to bring some acting chops that I don't think she has. Having it set during
    WWI
    isn't helping either.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The only common bit seems to be 'start a war', which is a tricky plot point to avoid when you're talking about a god of , you know, war.

It's also the similar historic timeframe that reminded me of the other movies.

That's because the actual reason for WW1 starting is generally seen as so stupid, the idea of an evil mastermind orchestrating it seems more palatable than the idiotic clusterfuck it actually was.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I bought up Zod and Luthor because those are wonderful characters they fumbled on, I'm not blaming the characters themselves.

• Options
    I bought up Zod and Luthor because those are wonderful characters they fumbled on, I'm not blaming the characters themselves.

Ah. Thing that I'd be worried about is that if DC borked up Luthor and Zod, then what are their chances with a slightly goofier one like
    Ares.

• Options

Ah. Thing that I'd be worried about is that if DC borked up Luthor and Zod, then what are their chances with a slightly goofier one like
    Ares.

The chances of them handling any DC villains properly are sinking like a stone, so yeah I'm not getting my hopes too high that
    Ares
    has a good portrayal.

• Options
    Cliff Simon, still available. Though he seems to have aged like Obama since the Baal days.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't we know about the WW big bad for a while now?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If we're just going to keep raising the bar because "marvel movies are better, this seems trite in comparison" DC will never be able to beat marvel, and marvel will eventually run out of this to do.

It's a good plotline.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think there was speculation (given the setting of the movie, there was an obvious candidate) but nothing confirmed.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    If we're just going to keep raising the bar because "marvel movies are better, this seems trite in comparison" DC will never be able to beat marvel, and marvel will eventually run out of this to do.

It's a good plotline.

Eh, they don't need to be better than Marvel, they just have to not suck. Marvel might not be putting out the most amazing movies, but they're a good combination of a competent story backed by charismatic main characters. X-Men: Apocalypse wasn't a particularly good movie, but it was clear, straightforward, and had some charismatic characters. DC can't even get to that level. Story, setting, characters, all of it is either unlikable or incoherent.

And they'll still probably make coke and hooker levels of cash.

• Options
    It's different if someone walks away from a movie and go "well that was an incoherent mess" versus "well the main bad guy is kinda dumb, and it seems like they're trying to be too much like marvel" or "Simpsons did it" in re: to the plot line.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Poison gas is definitely time appropriate though. WWI is when it was used on a massive scale to kill enemies. It's also something that WW can't just fight head on. One of the villains in the trailer was likely hurt by it too which could make for a good character.

• Options

It's a good plotline.

I didn't think of a Marvel comparison at all. Just that the combination of plot and timeframe reminded me of several existing movies.

• Options
    The general idea's not bad, but do we really need
    the deadly gas? Ares using his influence to cause the world of man to collapse into total war should be threat enough.

It's like how we couldn't get a Suicide Squad movie without some immense world-endangering threat.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    the deadly gas? Ares using his influence to cause the world of man to collapse into total war should be threat enough.

It's like how we couldn't get a Suicide Squad movie without some immense world-endangering threat.
    I'm guessing that the 2nd act twist is that the gas is a red herring

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That would suggest a savviness and intelligence that the DC Cinematic Murderverse has completely lacked to this point.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

I hope Ares is the red herring. WW goes to all this effort to find him and stop him, only to find him sitting in a restaurant eating a meal, and telling WW that he's just enjoying the atmosphere and isn't manipulating anything. Mankind just sucks.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I hope Ares is the red herring. WW goes to all this effort to find him and stop him, only to find him sitting in a restaurant eating a meal, and telling WW that he's just enjoying the atmosphere and isn't manipulating anything. Mankind just sucks.

something like this has been my hope too

like they get into a fight and midway through he just starts laughing, because he realizes WW is barking up the wrong tree

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

"But this time... this time I don't have to lift a finger. Man doesn't need my help anymore." *smirks, picks up wineglass, swirls the red around a bit and takes a drink*

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Excellent news. Heard and seen many promising aspects in this film, don't let down WB.

http://comicsalliance.com/wonder-woman-movie-villain-identity/
    That mystery was apparently revealed by the French publication Studio Ciné Live who wrote a feature on Wonder Woman and dropped this key detail. Here’s what they had to say (via ComicBook.com):

Behind these scientific formulas, there is a deadly gas that could well annihilate humanity. Now, it turns out that this is precisely the goal of Ares, the god of war. He is jealous of humanity, which is a creation of his father, the deceased Zeus (he was killed by Ares when he rebelled against him, with the help of the Amazons) …
    My speculation for who is playing Ares? Danny Houston, he's the ghost axe murderer on American Horror Story: Coven. This may be a too obvious casting and it's someone else, though.

Do you breathe?
    You won't.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Save... Franz

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If nothing else, it's cool that we're getting an action movie set during WWI. There's been hardly any pop culture about WWI until really recently. The centennial probably has something to do with it, but WW1 has never gotten the attention it deserves. I like that we now have several video games, popular youtube channels and now an action movie about/set in WWI. After listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon, I was really ready for some WWI pop culture.

I still think Gal Gadot has no business playing WW. She's just too skinny and the accent is hard to listen to. WW has some meat on her bones.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Gadot is perfect imo, I really can't name someone else I would rather see have the role

Plus Diana has been drawn and portrayed all sorts of different ways. Linda Carter WW was even less muscular. Justice League Animated she was pretty lean. Some comics have her with bulging muscles and others she's very lithe. Kinda like how Batman goes from average sized to husky boys model.

• Options
    The thing about WWI is that there isn't really a clear good guy and bad guy or real purpose for fighting, just kind of a muddled mess.

Which is the perfect setting for making war itself the bad guy.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    WB/DC fumbled badly on three of the most interesting villains in the DC universe.

The villain in Wonder Woman has a lot stacked against him.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Gadot is perfect imo, I really can't name someone else I would rather see have the role

Plus Diana has been drawn and portrayed all sorts of different ways. Linda Carter WW was even less muscular. Justice League Animated she was pretty lean. Some comics have her with bulging muscles and others she's very lithe. Kinda like how Batman goes from average sized to husky boys model.

Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor) was my first pick for WW.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I was strongly of the mind that Gina Carrano would have made a good wonder woman.

And granted, some people will argue that she's not that talented at acting, but Gadot ain't exactly accademy award material either.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    People can learn to act. Gina probably would have been fine if she spent a few years in acting classes.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Yep, I'm still of the mind that Marvel ended up snagging the best actress for Wonder Woman.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Yep, I'm still of the mind that Marvel ended up snagging the best actress for Wonder Woman.

I wonder at times if that was intentional.

• Options

Gadot's performance in B vs S completely sold me her as WW, now we'll have to find out if she has the chops to be a movie lead.

Here are other contenders

02b945fa4516427694bbab9276611a5e.jpg

Lucy Lawless in her prime.

360537_1263768385725_full.jpg

Bridget Regan

Sam Raimi knows how to cast Wonder Woman.

square-1451415417-daredevil-03.jpeg

Elodie Yung (she lost to Gal Gadot, now she's MCU's Elektra)

True.

• Options
    She doesn't need massive bulk, but something like T2-era Sarah Conner would be nice to see.
    However if lack of obvious ripped muscles on the lead actress somehow end up being the worst thing about this movie, it'll be a ringing success.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I was strongly of the mind that Gina Carrano would have made a good wonder woman.

And granted, some people will argue that she's not that talented at acting, but Gadot ain't exactly accademy award material either.

Please, no. She may have improved. Kind of. But she's never been a good actress by any stretch, she makes Gal Gadot seem like Judy Garland.

She has the muscles and the skills to be an excellent stunt double, though.
    People can learn to act. Gina probably would have been fine if she spent a few years in acting classes.

True, but even if she did that may not be enough to be a lead for a multi million dollar blockbuster franchise. WB's risking enough as it is with Gal.

This discussion has been closed.