As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It feels like DC is trying to make the 90's comic movies they never got to while Batman Forever/Batman & Robin where running around like some Adam West fever dream. They want the bulky, macho, overly gruff, gun-toting, with too many pouches version of these guys (probably drawn by Liefield). Hell, they rushed into the Death of Superman plot... in his second freaking movie. They took a character known for being a beacon of hope and like, the guy you think of when someone says "superhero", and made him a pouty meathead.

I'd say the exception is Batman. While I don't like the direction they took with him in B vs S he's the most fleshed out character in all their movies. His I'll applaud the screenwriter and Affleck for.
    At this rate, I fully expect them to do Azrael Batman after killing of Affleck. Just Robo-Batman zooming around mowing down criminals without batting an eye. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get Electric Supermen.

:+1:

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    in conclusion, Snyder hates fun.

Jimmy olsen could tell you all kinds of stories about what kind of a fun guy Snyder is.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I keep hearing over and over about how Cavill was perfect casting for Supes, but all I got out of both appearances was a cold and distant super-being who nochalantly looked at every person in peril like a bug he should squish rather than bother saving. And even when choosing the latter option, he showed no joy or satisfaction.

Blame the direction he's forced to take if you want, but in my eyes he's the absolute worst Superman I've ever seen.

That's the directing and script, not Cavill.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I keep hearing over and over about how Cavill was perfect casting for Supes, but all I got out of both appearances was a cold and distant super-being who nochalantly looked at every person in peril like a bug he should squish rather than bother saving. And even when choosing the latter option, he showed no joy or satisfaction.

Blame the direction he's forced to take if you want, but in my eyes he's the absolute worst Superman I've ever seen.

In the end it doesn't really matter. The end result is a Superman I would be genuinely terrified to be around.

Even if they got their act together, I don't think magically giving Supes a warm personality in Justice League or whatever can change my perception at this point.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

In the end it doesn't really matter. The end result is a Superman I would be genuinely terrified to be around.

Even if they got their act together, I don't think magically giving Supes a warm personality in Justice League or whatever can change my perception at this point.

I think it matters.

Cavil could absolutely be an astounding superman.
    He's got the look down. He cuts a great image in the suit for it.

And his other acting jobs have shown he could do an excellent job as the kind of Superman we all want to see.

He's a great fit... they just aren't making the movies for him to shine in. Much like Afflec did a decent job as Batman, but the Bats he was given to play was not great.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I bet you there's even alternate takes for both MoS and BvS that have a more charismatic Supes, followed immediately by Snyder snapping him across the knuckles with a ruler and screaming "NO, SADDER AND LESS EMOTIONALLY CHARGED"

• Options
    Also, I'm really not trying to be a negative nancy, but I honestly believe that Justice League is going to be the biggest trainwreck of them all.

The reason? I can already tell by the early trailers that they're going to try to desperately but also hastily course correct the major criticisms by going "Look at all these jokes and character banter we sandwiched in here! See, Batman is smirking a little! He's making jokes! It's not all grimdark!"

It's going to be awkward as fuck.

• Options
    I bet you there's even alternate takes for both MoS and BvS that have a more charismatic Supes, followed immediately by Snyder snapping him across the knuckles with a ruler and screaming "NO, SADDER AND LESS EMOTIONALLY CHARGED"

They set him to be a god like figure, someone people look up to in awe, if not outright fear. I'm pretty sure Snyder's direction is more like "act like they are all beneath you and you pity them" or something along those lines.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Snyder's Superman is basically the prequel to Irredeemable.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Edit

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular

They set him to be a god like figure, someone people look up to in awe, if not outright fear. I'm pretty sure Snyder's direction is more like "act like they are all beneath you and you pity them" or something along those lines.

I thought at first this comment was about DC appointing Snyder head honcho.

• Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »

I thought at first this comment was about DC appointing Snyder head honcho.

Why can't it be both? :)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You know, at this point, I think I'd rather have Lex Luthor as my POTUS.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You know, at this point, I think I'd rather have Lex Luthor as my POTUS.

pity it'd likely be DCEU Luthor we get. :(

• Options
    Oh lord, now people can say "at least Suicide Squad got an Oscar."

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    SS just won an oscar for makeup.

Not a super strong field this year tbh.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Nothing about SS's makeup seemed at all noteworthy to me, but then I can't think of a movie this past year I'd give makeup to, so.... I guess congrats?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Killer Croc is impressive and Harley was immediately iconic so legit congrats to them

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Killer Croc is impressive and Harley was immediately iconic so legit congrats to them

Croc was.... ok. Not great... but Ok. Without the bulky jacket the head looked entirely out of place.

And Harley was more about being ultra sexed up than anything else... a full body pale skin and a couple tats isn't really an impressive makeup job. Her look was more the tight and revealing clothing and the willingness to unabashedly flaunt everything she had.

I mean, I doubt that's going to make anyone think the movie was a wild success... but I'm kind of surprised nothing else was able to top it.

• Options

Croc was.... ok. Not great... but Ok. Without the bulky jacket the head looked entirely out of place.

And Harley was more about being ultra sexed up than anything else... a full body pale skin and a couple tats isn't really an impressive makeup job. Her look was more the tight and revealing clothing and the willingness to unabashedly flaunt everything she had.

I mean, I doubt that's going to make anyone think the movie was a wild success... but I'm kind of surprised nothing else was able to top it.

The look was instantly iconic and very popular with her fan base, so I'd say they're doing something right.

• Options

The look was instantly iconic and very popular with her fan base, so I'd say they're doing something right.

Speak for yourself.

cgne4fpvh0ds.jpg

#notmyharley

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, was blue n' red some new 52 thing? Harley was always black n' red prior to Suicide Squad, no?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd love to see what Cavill can do with a good director behind him in regards to superman.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, was blue n' red some new 52 thing? Harley was always black n' red prior to Suicide Squad, no?

the movie look is roughly what she showed up in with New52, only no bat but big mallet like before. The blue instead of black sort of feels like a color mistake they just stuck with.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    And there's the problem with these movies...

"Let's take the blue out of Superman's costume and give it to Harley Quinn."

• Options

Harley Quinn is the hero we need right now, not the hero we deserve.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

Yeah! She's a bad guy; it's what... she... does? What?

• Options

I dunno. I might prefer the one who doesn't work for the US government...

• Options

I dunno. I might prefer the one who doesn't work for the US government...

Lex Luther?

• Options
    Isn't Luthor a good guy right now in the comics?

• Options
    Isn't Luthor a good guy right now in the comics?

I think he joined the Justice League with Captain Cold?

• Options
    What a time to be alive

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Also, I'm really not trying to be a negative nancy, but I honestly believe that Justice League is going to be the biggest trainwreck of them all.

The reason? I can already tell by the early trailers that they're going to try to desperately but also hastily course correct the major criticisms by going "Look at all these jokes and character banter we sandwiched in here! See, Batman is smirking a little! He's making jokes! It's not all grimdark!"

It's going to be awkward as fuck.

It's interesting how I can sort of see the ghosts of plot arcs that might have been, if the writing had been better. Imagine Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne hanging out at a party together, with Bruce Wayne struggling to not be Batman while Clark Kent is perfectly comfortable being himself.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Now DC's doing a live-action

If you're somehow thinking that about the DCEU then you're probably wrong.

Saw the WW trailer again before JW2 and Gadot's voice over is killing me. Hopefully it's just crappy delivery that they half-assed in order to get the trailer out, but if that's going to be the regular talky-talk voice, ugh. Straight up sounded like straight reading from the cue cards and having problems pronouncing some of the words.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Logan did better than expected at the box office, so expect WB to learn the wrong lesson. Again.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Logan did better than expected at the box office, so expect WB to learn the wrong lesson. Again.

Claws, that's the answer, we'll give her claws.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Claws, that's the answer, we'll give her claws.

305994-84919-dark-claw.jpg

• Options

You mean the same as always?
    It was a good movie... some issues, I don't think it's quite so deserving of the high marks it has (I'd give it a solid high 80's), but it's still very, very good.

It's bleak, it's sad, it's brutal.
    It shares a lot of those things with BvS and MOS.
    But it has heart. It had characters who had every reason to give up on the world, to be nothing but pissed off and waiting to die.
    But it still had moments of levity, not just for the audience, but the characters themselves.

They can't just artificially remove that and plop it into a new story. You can't make an Aquaman (as an example) movie to follow all the same beats without understanding why they worked in Logan.

So I hope they don't try and ape Logan, I have little doubt the results would be terrible.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Right. I'm guessing the lesson WB execs take from this was "welp, looks like BvS wasn't grimdark enough."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ironically I would be all over a hard-R Batman movie.

So long as it was competently written, directed, etc

This discussion has been closed.