As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We've got to slow down, in the [Terrace House]

1151617181921»

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Terrace House Tokyo has been officially canceled, per Fuji TV. No news about the future of the series.
    https://news.avclub.com/terrace-house-tokyo-canceled-after-cast-member-hana-kim-1843709052

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Welp, the thing I thought might happen, happened. Current season has been canceled, and realistically I don't see the show ever coming back. I don't know how you keep going with it without addressing the core issues that led to what happened, and I don't know how a single show addresses issues that pervade all of modern media culture.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Basically every Japanese reply to the official announcement was some variant of 'good, don't come back'

• Options
    I'm gonna wager there will be a one or two year hiatus and then they'll do another season, just not in Tokyo. Maybe in Osaka, NYC, London, or Paris.

I'm curious what Japan's anti-cyberbullying movement is going to look like. Plans have been laid out to put rules in place starting this fall. I recall the US's cyberbullying response was Melania Trump being in the news for a month saying cyberbullying is bad, then it went away, I wonder if Japan will be more of the same. According to Japan Times, there are plans in place to make it easier to identify comments/people that harass others online, but I wonder if that will run afoul of privacy and speech laws.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    While I completely agree with cancelling the season, I think blaming the show or its format is misdirected. People act poorly on TV all the time, say things in interviews they shouldn't or in general anger others...the issue is controlling the poison that has invaded social media. This could just have easily happened to anyone in the public eye and I worry that people will think cancelling the season somehow fixes things when it doesn't scratch the surface.

• Options
    Basically every Japanese reply to the official announcement was some variant of 'good, don't come back'

Perhaps every response there, however Terrace House was also the second-most-watched show on Netflix Japan-wide in 2019. The overwhelming majority of viewers like the show despite its faults, and from a corporate standpoint I don't imagine Netflix is going to let a cash cow get away. They've so far said they have no plans to remove the show from their library even after everything else that's happened.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    While I completely agree with cancelling the season, I think blaming the show or its format is misdirected. People act poorly on TV all the time, say things in interviews they shouldn't or in general anger others...the issue is controlling the poison that has invaded social media. This could just have easily happened to anyone in the public eye and I worry that people will think cancelling the season somehow fixes things when it doesn't scratch the surface.

I...

I don't really know about that.

Terrace House is pretty uniquely placed, it being, for the most part, normal people living their normal lives. I guess that was the format of Real World, but Real World is long gone and also Japan brings with it a whole bunch of stigmas and expectations put on house members that aren't as pronounced in western countries.

Reality shows in general are understood to be normal people, but thrust into some kind of special circumstance. Like a contest, or into isolation, or whatever. If someone does some stuff in a contest that makes them look bad and social media comments on it negatively, it's easy to say "well I was under pressure because I was in a contest". It's harder to say that when you're just going to work and hanging out with friends and happen to be living in a share house.

As I said before, I seriously think Yamachan specifically was a seriously negative influence on Social Media. He was often negative about house members on the show, but he also did a weekly youtube show called Yamachannel, all by himself, in which he basically just dunked on house members non-stop every week. He was doing it because that was his role on the show, he was almost certainly coached to do exactly the kind of thing he did, but still, he did the thing. He basically made it ok to dunk on house members and call out every little thing they did wrong.