As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Is this where I can ask about possible Malware? Was over at my mom's house, using her computer, and tab popped up in Firefox prompting an update.

It seemed legit, I clicked... and it opened up a little dos-box looking thing with green text to the side, and then restarted the computer... which did not seem legit to me. After looking into it, I find she has automatic updates and no virus protection. Could it be something like Kovter?

https://securityintelligence.com/news/firefox-malware-poses-as-browser-update/

Pretty worried, not sure what I should do.

Edit: Turns out her version of Ad-Aware isn't jst a promo copy, was actually able to delete some files that it found in User/Appdata.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I wonder what Ferals stance is on coupon applications and those who install them.

20v9Arc.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm just gonna point out that Win10 added a bash prompt.

did it?

Yup.

I'm not seeing it. I see one added by git, but not one that's default.

This one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/amp/

now here's something we can all agree to hate

fucking google amp

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wow, this thread has boomed this afternoon. Damn.

I've never used Powershell so I have nothing to add. Well, except this:
    Nerdiest.

Argument.

Ever.

I love you guys.

Until you've seen people argue vim vs. emacs, you haven't seen the nerdiest argument ever. There are entire character sets that have died from that war.

EDIT: PS vim is better

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've switched to using Powershell to manage Windows Updates and it's civilization.

We now have the Windows Update Powershell module installed on all our server and workstation gold images.

Holy fuck is it so much better than the GUI or the old broken command line tools.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Nerdiest.

Argument.

Ever.

I love you guys.

Until you've seen people argue vim vs. emacs, you haven't seen the nerdiest argument ever. There are entire character sets that have died from that war.

That's an especially silly argument because nano has been around for, what, 15 years?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I've switched to using Powershell to manage Windows Updates and it's civilization.

We now have the Windows Update Powershell module installed on all our server and workstation gold images.

Holy fuck is it so much better than the GUI or the old broken command line tools.

I can get behind this for windows update.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Nerdiest.

Argument.

Ever.

I love you guys.

That's an especially silly argument because nano has been around for, what, 15 years?

Pfft, nano isn't even invited to that discussion, are you kidding?

• Options

Nerdiest.

Argument.

Ever.

I love you guys.

oh god this is the 2016 primary all over again

• Options
    nano is the best editor hands down

if you're doing more than changing a line that you need vim or emacs you should probably download a copy first before you fuck everything up, and at that point you might as well just use notepad++

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    or sublime, I'm not picky as long as it's not emacs of vim

• Options

I can get behind this for windows update.

The biggest limitation of the module is that it can't remotely kick off a Windows Update download or install. At least not directly. Something about the way Windows Updates interacts with WMI something mumble mumble grunt

There's a kludgy workaround where you call the powershell command (Get-WUUpdate) from a scheduled task, and then launch the task remotely. That part kinda sucks.

What we do is we create a scheduled task that launches Get-WUUpdate with the parameters we want (for example, we don't install Silverlight on servers) at the exact time and day we want, then its output is exported to a text file in %windir%\logs. Then we can manipulate it entirely through Task Scheduler and its associated tools - which can be done remotely.

We combine this with WSUS and it gives us much finer granularity with update scheduling and filtering than WSUS alone.

• Options

Nerdiest.

Argument.

Ever.

I love you guys.

oh god this is the 2016 primary all over again

Look, I've used nano once or twice. I've used emacs never. I use vim all day every day.

So I think I have evaluated the three enough to know that vim is better.

*How a lot of these arguments go*

• Options
    emacs was someone's solution to "man I really have to open too many things to do my day to day activities, wouldn't it be great if I could read my email while editing code?"

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Good lord. You guys just need to kiss and make up already.

Such controversy is unnecessary for this thread.

Suggested alt topic:

GIF: hard or soft 'g'?

• Options
    J sound

• Options
    Alternate alt topic:

COUPON: 'coo-pon' or 'Q-pon'?

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I miss Gopher.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I will say this, I hate the old ass versions of vi that show up on Busybox and even modern Linux distros. When you go into Insert mode and it doesn't even show the fucking Insert flag at the bottom, that is some stupid shit right there.

Re: Notepad ++, why would I use a GUI text editor like some sort of user? Especially one that's not available for Linux?

(I use Kate a lot, it's the same thing, I'm giving you shit.)
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Good lord. You guys just need to kiss and make up already.

Such controversy is unnecessary for this thread.

Suggested alt topic:

GIF: hard or soft 'g'?

J sound

I've told my friends that only users get this shit wrong and I hope you guys don't let me down.

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

So then JPEG is 'jay-feg'?

• Options
    :whistle: look what I started... :whistle:

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

Why do I feel like you're the thread's Palpatine right now? :lol:

• Options
    G is typically soft when followed by a vowel (most notably e,i,y), and hard when followed by a consonant.

Such as in gin.

If you're going to pronounce an initialism like that, you should respect the vowel there. The creator says the soft g like Jif.

• Options
    hard G sounds awkward anyways

• Options
    hard G sounds awkward anyways

I don't listen to that music.

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

No, because you don't pronounce dipthongs in acronyms.

Same reason GUI isn't "grooey," ANSI isn't "ansti," and FAQ isn't "frak"

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

Why do I feel like you're the thread's Palpatine right now? :lol:

Or Jar-Jar

• Options
    Graphics not giraffics

No, because you don't pronounce dipthongs in acronyms.

Same reason GUI isn't "grooey," ANSI isn't "ansti," and FAQ isn't "frak"

I'd argue it's more jipfeg than jayfeg anyways

• Options
    G is typically soft when followed by a vowel (most notably e,i,y), and hard when followed by a consonant.

Such as in gin.

If you're going to pronounce an initialism like that, you should respect the vowel there. The creator says the soft g like Jif.

Only silly geese and goofy gits would make such a gaffe.

• Options

Such as in gin.

Only silly geese and goofy gits would make such a gaffe.

That's why I used a qualifier!

• Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular

Such as in gin.

Oh yes of course, like girl (jirl) or gimp (jimp) or give (jive) or gizzard (jizzard) or git (jit, you stupid jit). ;)

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    YOU'RE TEARING THIS THREAD APART, SeñorAmor(LISA!)!

• Options
    I've always pronounced it jaypeg and I tell my friends that only users get this shit wrong and I hope you guys don't let me down.

• Options
    Also double vowels and hard words change the G, but gif follows closer to gin than gift

because the ift overrides that G, similar to gits and gaffe

• Options
    I'm totally going to start saying "grooey" to troll people tho

• Options
    who's speaking ill of jizzards

• Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Not me. When I fish in the julf I use the jizzards for bait and then throw my leftover jizzards to the seajulls.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is this where I can ask about possible Malware? Was over at my mom's house, using her computer, and tab popped up in Firefox prompting an update.

It seemed legit, I clicked... and it opened up a little dos-box looking thing with green text to the side, and then restarted the computer... which did not seem legit to me. After looking into it, I find she has automatic updates and no virus protection. Could it be something like Kovter?

https://securityintelligence.com/news/firefox-malware-poses-as-browser-update/

Pretty worried, not sure what I should do.

Edit: Turns out her version of Ad-Aware isn't jst a promo copy, was actually able to delete some files that it found in User/Appdata.

Tell your mom to watch out for those coupon apps.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    "Ill of Jizzards" would be a good name for a band.

This discussion has been closed.