As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what makes backup exec so great.

It just like

makes backups on a schedule and dumps them into media/directories, right?

It's cheap.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

It just like

It's cheap.

is it even that cheap?

it's like $600+ right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

It just like

it's a combination of cheap, and the fact that in like 2005 it was the only/best game in town for that kind of thing, and just by sheer inertia a lot of places have stayed on it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Check out what we found in our warehouse today

EVCAgJD.jpg

Fucking thing works and everything.

I'll bet that thing doesn't even come with install guides. That was back in the day when you had to write the program and then create your own install guide!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Like the original Cray, where the story goes that Seymour Cray toggled in the initial OS and boot loader through the front panel.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Check out what we found in our warehouse today

EVCAgJD.jpg

Fucking thing works and everything.

I'll bet that thing doesn't even come with install guides. That was back in the day when you had to write the program and then create your own install guide!

10 GOTO COUPON

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    We put it on the bench and told the newest engineer that one of our clients brought it in and needed it running by the end of the day and it was all his, and let him freak and sputter for about a half an hour before we aborted his mounting aneurysm.

• Options
    We put it on the bench and told the newest engineer that one of our clients brought it in and needed it running by the end of the day and it was all his, and let him freak and sputter for about a half an hour before we aborted his mounting aneurysm.

That's the best/worst thing I've read today.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

It just like

it's a combination of cheap, and the fact that in like 2005 it was the only/best game in town for that kind of thing, and just by sheer inertia a lot of places have stayed on it.

Yeah, it was best in class about 10 years ago when your only realistic options for backups were tape or hard drive.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aioua wrote: »
    it takes all of like

half a second to add in another extension to a list of extensions

see this is why you powershell everything you can
    since devs will never go back and fix even the easiest things :P

copy *.tif *.tiff

suck it, powershell

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    it takes all of like

half a second to add in another extension to a list of extensions

see this is why you powershell everything you can
    since devs will never go back and fix even the easiest things :P

copy *.tif *.tiff

suck it, powershell

you just doubled everything

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    yeah but you can't look at the fileinfo object of each of those tif files in a batch script echo

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    fine

move *.tif *.tiff

suck it again, powershell

• Options
    I just unboxed an HP all-in-one PC that was bent.

Box wasn't crushed, wasn't a shipping thing.

Fucker was just straight up not straight. The right vertical side bowed forward almost half an inch. I could pop open the optical drive and see the bend in the frame.

This was a replacement for one they shipped us that was DoA.

• Options
    did they give you a coupon or send you a manual on how to fix it

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    coupons only come with the servers bowen

• Options
    "hilariously" that's one of the few batch commands you can't just drag and drop into powershell, since copy/move/ren are aliased to powershell cmdlets

but I would probably make the whole script into a generic extension renaming script anyway, with parameters for folder, old extension, and new extension

that way it's reusable!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    have you considered maybe you are a failed programmer vowels

• Options
    have you considered maybe you are a failed programmer vowels

I mean pretty much yes.

If my parents had understood computers better and hadn't been dealing with a messy divorce in my late teens I probably would have been properly shepherded into a CS degree and learned how to do shit, popped out of college into a cushy dev job and been making more than I am now for the last decade.

I also probably would have ended up as an insufferable libertarian as well so I think it's a wash.

• Options
    you are basically doing programming right now

you should look into c#

visual studio 2017 is free man

you'd like it

• Options
    vs 2017 is really free?

man...I have absolutely 0 professional use for programming at the moment, but I always kind of miss it in the back of my head. I never got too deep in it; it was mostly my dad making me try and do something productive with all of my computer time (apparently IRC wasn't productive WHO KNEW)

• Options

you should look into c#

you'd like it

I've done these things!

As it gets more complicated I start losing the plot and my understanding of what I'm looking at and writing drains out of my head.

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »
    vs 2017 is really free?

man...I have absolutely 0 professional use for programming at the moment, but I always kind of miss it in the back of my head. I never got too deep in it; it was mostly my dad making me try and do something productive with all of my computer time (apparently IRC wasn't productive WHO KNEW)

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/whatsnew/

community edition! (it's the free edition of professional -- it's free for small business and personal use)

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    wait visual studio 2017 is free? I should download that then never use it on my home PC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

you should look into c#

you'd like it

I've done these things!

As it gets more complicated I start losing the plot and my understanding of what I'm looking at and writing drains out of my head.

you're already doing it in power shell though!

and we have a programming thread

and I'm basically the resident c# guy with @echo picking it up and there's like 2-3 duders who do it professionally in chat (Reiman and dk have both dabbled in it)

• Options
    yeah this shit's been free since the tail end of 2014 (when they started community edition), almost immediately after they dropped 2015 into the community edition. Then just a few weeks ago 2017 dropped.

Make sure you snag the productivity power tools, you can hold control and click on variables names and it'll show you where you created them, easily the best feature of it.

• Options
    donavannj wrote: »
    wait visual studio 2017 is free? I should download that then never use it on my home PC.

:bro: doing this right now

• Options
  • Options
    uuuerugh

changing career paths is also terrifying

I know a lot of shit and have near a decade being an IT guy

going back to noob is unappealing

not to mention the job market doesn't seem too hot anyway

sure lots of positions open for every company's hyper-specific role

but seems real hard to actually land a job, going by my programmer friends

• Options
    yeah IT is better than software right now

I've contemplated making the switch to full on IT because it's less hassle and less frustrating

• Options
    it's actually funny because about 5 years ago a lot of people thought that pure IT roles were going to go away becuase everything was in the cloud, but all that ended up happening was that IT actually became more needed as even if you moved everything to the cloud you still needed people to manage that.

And really 99% of the time people ended up on hybrid solutions which are actually harder to manage than either full in house or full cloud anyway.

Personally where i see IT going is more towards BA/project management stuff. IT will only become more integrated, not less, and those who can do more BA type work and integrate with other business units, etc, will end up being the most useful/successful long term.

• Options
    Yeah Business IT is more about managing contracts and integration solutions rather than maintaining hardware.

There will still be actual IT at the bigger companies that actually do that kind of work still, though. But a lot of it is less innovation or anything and more break/fix kind of work since there's lots of failover and redundancy. It's the job of the software to handle the issues, not the IT guy to jerry-rig something together.

• Options
  • Options
    yeah IT roles will go away as soon as every vendor implements their solutions with perfect interoperability (no) or we invent hard AI (followed by the robocalypse)

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I've told all my friends that only programmers get this shit wrong, and I hope you guys don't let me down.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options

listen I can't help it that vowels is pretending to be a programmer in the system admin thread!

• Options
    It was 75 yesterday.

Snowed at lunch today.

55 right now.

I dont, what

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Funny, I was at a Veeam lunch and learn today, actually. Hosted at a steakhouse, pretty swanky and good eats.

Presentation wasn't that bad. Brought my lead dev because I was joking about now he's made it, a true professional. Getting to eat lunch on vendor dime!

Not only did he get a free lunch but he won the door prize. I'm so proud. *sniff*

(prize was $200 headphones not too shabby)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I never counted before today but it turns out I am the primary support contact for 239 users.

I'm surprised I get as few tickets as I do.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    How many different applications does that cover? That'd probably be an explanation for a "low" ticket count relative to your total number of users.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.