[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

19394959698

Posts

  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    fuuuuuck I hate old desktop techs

    switching over to new ticket system and the new paradigm of actually needing to create tickets now that we're part of our new MEGACORP that bought us instead of a ~1500 person company

    so much bitching from the 45+ set

    cool your damn shit people

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    FeralSeidkona
  • donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    donavannj wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I have no idea how people manage to get them all slinkied up.

    I have had the same phone cord on my phone for almost 10 years with no problems.

    Mine is a tangled mess and I legitimately could not tell you how it happened. It's as much of a mystery to those of us it happens to as it is to you.

    It doesn't impede my ability to pick up the phone in the slightest, though. The speakerphone button is my BFF.

    Speakerphone is the devil and those who use it for anything but a conference call with multiple people are bad and should feel bad.

    I wouldn't use speakerphone if I weren't the only one in the basement room I'm tucked away in.

    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I just got an email from a client asking for the root login credentials for a couple of servers so he could go in and verify we completed some security recommendations they wanted us to implement..one of the recommendations? Remove root logins..derp.

    Feral
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I just got an email from a client asking for the root login credentials for a couple of servers so he could go in and verify we completed some security recommendations they wanted us to implement..one of the recommendations? Remove root logins..derp.

    That just means the verification was successful!

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    InfidelFeralNaphtali
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    donavannj wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I have no idea how people manage to get them all slinkied up.

    I have had the same phone cord on my phone for almost 10 years with no problems.

    Mine is a tangled mess and I legitimately could not tell you how it happened. It's as much of a mystery to those of us it happens to as it is to you.

    It doesn't impede my ability to pick up the phone in the slightest, though. The speakerphone button is my BFF.

    Speakerphone is the devil and those who use it for anything but a conference call with multiple people are bad and should feel bad.

    I wouldn't use speakerphone if I weren't the only one in the basement room I'm tucked away in.

    maybe that's *why* they have you tucked away in a basement room. :biggrin:

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    donavannjSeidkona
  • donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    donavannj wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    donavannj wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I have no idea how people manage to get them all slinkied up.

    I have had the same phone cord on my phone for almost 10 years with no problems.

    Mine is a tangled mess and I legitimately could not tell you how it happened. It's as much of a mystery to those of us it happens to as it is to you.

    It doesn't impede my ability to pick up the phone in the slightest, though. The speakerphone button is my BFF.

    Speakerphone is the devil and those who use it for anything but a conference call with multiple people are bad and should feel bad.

    I wouldn't use speakerphone if I weren't the only one in the basement room I'm tucked away in.

    maybe that's *why* they have you tucked away in a basement room. :biggrin:

    lol

    But I have legitimately not had to share a room full-time with anyone in my current stint here. I was tucked away in an "office" with no AC in a warehouse in another building to work on a Windows 7 rollout that involved 160 machines before I took over the room I'm currently in.

    steam_sig.png
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    If I could go back in time and change one thing. I would prevent the invention of the speakerphone.

    fax machines

    I HATE fax machines with the fire of 1000 suns. It's 201X's no one should be using these things anymore. Just as bad are fax to E-mail because every solution fails and you could go weeks down before someone lets you know.

    User: "why didn't you know it was down" .
    Me: "Because I don't get FAXs and this thing won't send out notification that it's down"
    User: "What do you do when somoene needs to send you a FAX?"
    Me: "Tell them no. After that I tell them to just E-mail the document because no one uses these things anymore"

    Aioua wrote: »
    fuuuuuck I hate old desktop techs

    switching over to new ticket system and the new paradigm of actually needing to create tickets now that we're part of our new MEGACORP that bought us instead of a ~1500 person company

    so much bitching from the 45+ set

    cool your damn shit people

    I'm surprised a someone who is supposed to be a tech would complain about that. I'm in that 40-45 range and I love learning new stuff. Are they all level 1's?

    Feral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Faxes are weird because lawyers and doctors think they're impervious to being spied on and that they protect HIPAA/Client data.

    A passworded zip file is more secure than a phone line ever was.

    Phone lines are even less secure day because they're "fake" analog now. POTS lines are piggybacked off fiber now (at least where I live). Take that one to the bank with ya.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    SeidkonaArtoriaDarkewolfeFeral
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Faxes are weird because lawyers and doctors think they're impervious to being spied on and that they protect HIPAA/Client data.

    A passworded zip file is more secure than a phone line ever was.

    Phone lines are even less secure day because they're "fake" analog now. POTS lines are piggybacked off fiber now (at least where I live). Take that one to the bank with ya.

    Ugh, I've had this exact conversation at work:

    Random PA: Hey, can you fix the fax machine, I can't send out this [medical form] to [doctor] in [clinic].
    Me: Why aren't you just putting this as a PDF in your shared folder with [doctor] on the network drive?
    Random PA: I have to fax it because of HIPAA.
    Me: No, you don't. The network drive is HIPAA compliant.
    Random PA: This is more secure.
    Me: Sending a fax to a machine in a completely separate location which may or may not be attended-or could be picked up by literally almost anyone without you having any idea of it-is safer than using the secure shared folder that is only accessible by you and [doctor]?
    Random PA: Can you fix the fax machine or not?
    Me: You forgot to dial 9 to reach an outside line.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    bowenwunderbarSeidkonaShadowfireArtoriaInfidelFeralRius
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    Hey guys look a stray tcpip packet I guess it's mine now

    5acut17qi4nj.jpg

    Make. Time.
    Artoria
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    what happens if you try to fast charge the packet?

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Feral
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Faxes are weird because lawyers and doctors think they're impervious to being spied on and that they protect HIPAA/Client data.

    A passworded zip file is more secure than a phone line ever was.

    Phone lines are even less secure day because they're "fake" analog now. POTS lines are piggybacked off fiber now (at least where I live). Take that one to the bank with ya.

    Faxes are insecure, but they still enjoy legal protections that other transfer methods don't.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Hey guys look a stray tcpip packet I guess it's mine now

    5acut17qi4nj.jpg

    Being promiscuous, are we?

    steam_sig.png
    SeidkonaDarkewolfeFeraljungleroomx
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    what happens if you try to fast charge the packet?

    Spectrum already beat me to charging for packets.

    Make. Time.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I would grab a toilet paper roll tube and label it Tunnel and then put it inside.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    wunderbar
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I would grab a toilet paper roll tube and label it Tunnel and then put it inside.

    you know, that's actually not a bad idea for a visual representation of a VPN when users aren't understanding what it is.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    ArtoriaSeidkonaFeralRandomHajileRius
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Hey guys look a stray tcpip packet I guess it's mine now

    5acut17qi4nj.jpg

    Since we all got it then this is a broadcast Packet.

    FeraljungleroomxCog
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If you throw it at somebody who's napping and it wakes them up, does that make it a magic packet?

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If you throw it at a wall and it splits open, is that packet fragmentation?

    If you tie a string to it before you throw it, does that make your string a packet tracer?

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    DrovekShadowfiredonavannjArtoria
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Do you hate it irrationally? Then it's an IPv6 packet.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    FeralShadowfirejungleroomxdonavannjwunderbarArtoriaRius
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Does it require a signature? Then it's using TLS.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    If you throw it against a wall and it bounces, then it's a Ping/ICMP packet.

    steam_sig.png
    Feral
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Over half a page of packet jokes.

    I love you nerds.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    jungleroomxVladimerdonavannjArtoriaRius
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Like Digital Underground said, I'm your Packet Man.

    SeidkonaFeraldonavannjArtoria
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Spent the afternoon ripping old equipment off the wall to send back to the old ISP. It was sort of cathartic for how much I hate them.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Artoria
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    Fixed customers backups.

    60 year old lady tells me "You're the man now, dog!"

    Best moment ever.

    Make. Time.
    SeidkonaAuralynxDrovekbowenwunderbarCogArtoriaShadowfireiTunesIsEvilRiusFeral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Fixed customers backups.

    60 year old lady tells me "You're the man now, dog!"

    Best moment ever.

    that moment when you realize that hippies are now 60 years old

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    SeidkonajungleroomxVladimerCogArtoriaiTunesIsEvilMvrckFeral
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    Ok I've heard two different pronunciations here for Kaseya.

    CASE-yah

    or

    Ka-SAY-uh

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Ok I've heard two different pronunciations here for Kaseya.

    CASE-yah

    or

    Ka-SAY-uh

    I'm sure there's a phonetic pronunciation in the install guide.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    bowenSeidkonajungleroomxArtoriaFeral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    kay-suh

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Seidkona
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh fuck you customer.
    Got a guy who had their environment shit itself and corrupt they license key the program uses. So he requested a new one yesterday. I get pulled into it today and from initial e-mail to license being sent to him, turn around was like 20 minutes.
    Replies e-mail to all with my boss and a few other people; "got them, thanks but gotta' admit, not the fastest response we needed."

    No, you don't gotta admit that.

    Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
    bowenSeidkonaDrovekArtoriaBolthornShadowfireFeral
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    Just heard from a client:

    "If I'm going to buy a device that has a feature that is going to conflict with [Group Policy] configured for us by your company, I need to know about those configurations before hand".

    He bought himself a Surface Pro so he could use facial recognition. By default, biometrics are disabled for domain user login. We should know the future and before he buys any piece of technology without telling us we should contact him and tell him that it might not work.

    SeidkonawunderbarAiouaArtoriaShadowfireMvrckFeral
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Just heard from a client:

    "If I'm going to buy a device that has a feature that is going to conflict with [Group Policy] configured for us by your company, I need to know about those configurations before hand".

    He bought himself a Surface Pro so he could use facial recognition. By default, biometrics are disabled for domain user login. We should know the future and before he buys any piece of technology without telling us we should contact him and tell him that it might not work.

    the Precogs were busy in the nap room.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Cog
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    HEY, DEVELOPERS. HEEEEEEEEY.

    If you're going to remove an obsolete service from our customers servers, PLEASE JUST DON'T DELETE THE PATH AND FILE AND LEAVE THE GODDAMNED SERVICE RUNNING.

    Make. Time.
    bowenDrovekArtoriaFeral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    HEY, DEVELOPERS. HEEEEEEEEY.

    If you're going to remove an obsolete service from our customers servers, PLEASE JUST DON'T DELETE THE PATH AND FILE AND LEAVE THE GODDAMNED SERVICE RUNNING.

    but it's so much work to stop a service you know

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    HEY, DEVELOPERS. HEEEEEEEEY.

    If you're going to remove an obsolete service from our customers servers, PLEASE JUST DON'T DELETE THE PATH AND FILE AND LEAVE THE GODDAMNED SERVICE RUNNING.

    but it's so much work to stop a service you know

    jrx just be happy it is a service

    unlike some apps

    bowen

    Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    jungleroomxFeral
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    your mom's a service

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    CogSeidkonadonavannjRandomHajile
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    and that still wouldn't have solved my problem because powershell is gimped because microsoft is scared of hackers

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    SeidkonaArtoriaCogLD50
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    your mom's a service

    Sick sysadmin burn.

    Seidkonabowendonavannj
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd call unable to launch programs in the context of a logged in user on a remote computer exactly 'gimped'.

    But you do you.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Feral
This discussion has been closed.