As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Also it turned out that I had, years prior, gone on a couple of dates with his daughter, and I had no idea until I saw them together in a shopping mall.

But had you boinked her, and did that ever come up in conversation with him?

Bonus awkward points if working as a Penetration Tester.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Welcome to Clusterfuck Tuesday! Tell JRX what he's won!

A 9 year old 2008 Standard server running alongside a fresh new 2012 box that's set up incorrectly so it will try to take over the domain controller role when the 2012 server reboots for updates then not have enough system resources to actually function as a domain controller! Who would've thought running WSUS and Backup Exec on a 250 gig HDD with 4 gigs of RAM would cause issues!

A memory leak from Perfect Disk on another server that completely blows out everything! Why does Perfect Disk even exist!?

A user wanting a networked application installed on their local desktop that has no capability of doing so, but you better get it to work because she's the bank president!

And finally! A 3rd party IT company that rolled back all previous security updates for Server 2008 that caused the entire fucking thing to blue screen!

*dies*

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, if anyones using WebRoot, check your shit.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Also it turned out that I had, years prior, gone on a couple of dates with his daughter, and I had no idea until I saw them together in a shopping mall.

No, sadly.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    dell E6440

remote user

battery won't charge but it'll still run on AC

won't charge in windows or even in the diagnostics pane

sent new laptop, new battery, new charger, had user move their HDD over

same problem (??!?!)

updated BIOS, like every conceivable driver

no dice

if you unplug the adapter from the wall, leave it for 30 seconds, then plug back in it will charge for a few minutes, then stop charging again after a percent or two

I think I'm down to
    1. the hard drive itself is somehow fucking up power distribution
    2. user is lying about it also not charging out at client sites and just has shit power in his office

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Alright, New equipment ready to deploy.

Weeeeeee!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    dell E6440

remote user

battery won't charge but it'll still run on AC

won't charge in windows or even in the diagnostics pane

sent new laptop, new battery, new charger, had user move their HDD over

same problem (??!?!)

updated BIOS, like every conceivable driver

no dice

if you unplug the adapter from the wall, leave it for 30 seconds, then plug back in it will charge for a few minutes, then stop charging again after a percent or two

I think I'm down to
    1. the hard drive itself is somehow fucking up power distribution
    2. user is lying about it also not charging out at client sites and just has shit power in his office

Shut down the laptop and plug in the charger. The charge light should indicate it's charging. If not, it's a hardware fault (they didn't actually swap chargers cause they didn't want to climb under their desk for example).

The other options are that it's a Windows fault that still exists due to the HD swap. Try to uninstall the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" and the AC Adapter from Device Manager and reboot (may need to remove battery and run on AC only before you can do this). You can also try switching the Power Options between Plans and try resetting the plans to default as well.

Could also reimage the whole thing.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

thoughts.png

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    my manager and the admin assistant are trying to set up weekly meetings for the rest of the year for our group in outlook.

So far, he's (the manger) set up a recurring one at one time. That was one email. She (the admin assistant) set up a recurring one at another time, and then had to move 12 of them to a different day and location to accommodate the different room for bigger planning sessions once a month. that was 12 emails.

Then when they saw they both did the work, they both deleted the meetings created. That was 14 emails. Then she set up another recurring meeting for the time the manager wanted. That was another email. She then again had to move 12 of them to a different location. That was 12 more emails. She has now cancelled 4 of them to accommodate 4 weeks the manager is away. that's 4 emails.

so that's 45 emails for a recurring weekly meeting. This is within the last 40 minutes or so.

I swear to god if I see another email with the subject line "ITI Team Weekly meeting" I'm going to lose my mind.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Just got an e-mail re: the blue screened server from other IT company.

"Hey! Well, our software that required us to completely fuck the server over by rolling back 2 years of updates isn't working now that we've gotten the server back online! How do you get this working?"

Are... are you fucking kidding?

You're asking me to fix your fucking software?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Why do people put in support tickets asking for help with blocked emails without providing any details about the email sender or recipient?

And here's how this went down over the last 24 hours.

Me: Hi, User. I need the email address that you were expecting the emails from.
    User: They had zip attachments. Is there a better way to get information than zips?
    Me: We're not blocking zips. I can check our spam filter for emails from them though if you give me their address.
    User: The emails are from dude@domain.com.
    Me: Well, I don't see that any emails from dude@domain.com have hit our spam filter.

7QwvEUEl.jpg

Same user: I was wrong. The emails are from otherdude@domain.com
    Me: Well, our network hasn't received any emails from dude or otherdude @domain.com.
    User: That's what we're trying to tell you!
    Me: Right. The edge of our 'custody' is our spam filter, and it hasn't received any emails from them.
    User: Well, they're telling us that their emails are going through. Will you talk to them?
    Me: Sure.

9rHuLqSl.jpg

dude@domain.com: We actually use mailchimp, so they'd be getting emails from company@mailchimp.com. For example, I see that we sent out an email from mailchimp yesterday at 1:00pm your time and another two days ago.
    Me: That's helpful! Well, it looks like those emails passed our spam filter and was delivered by Exchange. I'll go check with them to make sure they didn't end up in a junk email folder.
    User: Oh, yeah, I got those emails. But those aren't the emails I need! I'm missing a different email.
    dude@domain.com: Here's an exhaustive list of EVERY EMAIL OUR COMPANY HAS SENT YOUR COMPANY from mailchimp since the beginning of time.
    Me: *extends the spam filter search to the beginning of time.*

WSL7puhl.jpg

Me: Okay, we've found two mailchimp emails from last month that were spamblocked. Is one of these the email you wanted?
    User: YES OMG THANK YOU

Me:
    HtgTwqn.gif

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    This was years ago, but I once had a guy come ask me if emails to him were being blocked. I asked if he knew the address that wasn't getting through, or a time the email was sent, and he said no he didn't know of any, but he had heard that we blocked emails and he wanted to make sure that every single email sent to him got through.

He made the same complaint about it about 6 months later. Our manager's solution was to exempt his email address from the spam filter. I think he received about 300 spam emails within the next 24 hours. Came back to us with his tail between his legs.

On the flip side, I will say I've had the same issue, and our IT people replied "can you please forward all emails that have been blocked"... no, I can't, if I had gotten all the emails that had been blocked I wouldn't be contacting you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral is much more patient and kind than I'd have been.

"Sorry looks like for whatever reason the internet ate your email"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

We have too much accountability for that sort of thing.

• Options

We have too much accountability for that sort of thing.

"Sorry you need to be more specific"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    They needed something from a mailing list that badly?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

User: I tried to click on an email link and it wouldn't work. The virus alert popped up. So I forwarded it off to User2 and asked her to try it. She tried it and it wouldn't work for her either.
    Me: ...

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    User: I tried to click on an email link and it wouldn't work. The virus alert popped up. So I forwarded it off to User2 and asked her to try it. She tried it and it wouldn't work for her either.

Congratulations! You've just won yourself a special mandatory training on IT security for you and your friend!

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Bonus awkward points if working as a Penetration Tester.

"Ok, so it looks like there are some open ports on your firewall, so we should probably fix that. And speaking of plugging holes..."

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Gotta get those coupon installer links.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

This is the very best thing.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    People being unable to use a computer for their job should be treated like a mechanic being unable to use tools.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    LD50 wrote: »
    People being unable to use a computer for their job should be treated like a mechanic being unable to use tools.

Or vice versa. Because I can't think of anything more hilarious than a mechanic being on the phone with their dispatch, bitching about how their tools are broken, when they clearly are trying to use a screwdriver on a hex bolt.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options

It was a vendor who used mailchimp as their method for sending out customer-specific deliverables.

Yeah, it's weird.

• Options

It was a vendor who used mailchimp as their method for sending out customer-specific deliverables.

Yeah, it's weird.

I. . .

uh. . .

ok?. . .

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

A few years ago I worked at a relatively large corp. that handled it this way, and it was awesome. I don't remember the correct terminology but basically every department had to have a retard dollar section in their budget, and if anyone called in for support on something that was part of their job (anything e-mail client related that wasn't it being actually broken, excel formulas, how to do shit in word etc.) It got billed against them, and that money went into IT's budget. It was beautiful Also the only place i've worked that would regularly fire people for being too computer illiterate, they used that exact analogy, like a tradesperson not knowing how to use their tools.

95% of calls were "This is my problem, will it go against the retard budget?" "Yup" "ok, nevermind" *click*

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I love when development decides they newest version of an in-house tool needs to authenticate the hostname of the device it's on with some database they set up without ever asking us.

And now we're responsible for keeping that database updated and its server running.

Too late it's already been validated olololol

¬_¬

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

A few years ago I worked at a relatively large corp. that handled it this way, and it was awesome. I don't remember the correct terminology but basically every department had to have a retard dollar section in their budget, and if anyone called in for support on something that was part of their job (anything e-mail client related that wasn't it being actually broken, excel formulas, how to do shit in word etc.) It got billed against them, and that money went into IT's budget. It was beautiful Also the only place i've worked that would regularly fire people for being too computer illiterate, they used that exact analogy, like a tradesperson not knowing how to use their tools.

95% of calls were "This is my problem, will it go against the retard budget?" "Yup" "ok, nevermind" *click*

Oh my god this is amazing and if I ever get a chance I'm stealing the shit out of this.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I would like to remind everyone that in gchat /ponies affects both users but /ponystream is local only. The konami code is also local only.

Edit: I've been using this to fuck people for the last two days.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I love when development decides they newest version of an in-house tool needs to authenticate the hostname of the device it's on with some database they set up without ever asking us.

And now we're responsible for keeping that database updated and its server running.

¬_¬

figure out what port they're connecting on and set up a script that just returns TRUE

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

¬_¬

figure out what port they're connecting on and set up a script that just returns TRUE

I was thinking this myself, and then I started thinking about all those stories about software that did stuff just like that. Stories that made you think "man, did those people just have no idea how this stuff is supposed to work?". Now I'm thinking that it was more of a "man, those people must have been fresh out of fucks."

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    IF (1==1)
    THEN RESULT OUT (True)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Last call of the day (hopefully, there's 10 minutes left)

Customer:"Hi, I can't print, it says out of bounds page reference and only will print the first 13 pages of my document"
    Me:"How many pages long is the document?"
    Customer:"It's"
    *LONG PAUSE, SCROLLING AND CLICKING CAN BE HEARD*
    Customer:"Nevermind sorry bye"

• Options
    IF (1==1)
    THEN RESULT OUT (True)

I've written scripts with
    while ($true) {
        #do stuff
    }

• Options
    IF (1==1)
    THEN RESULT OUT (True)

I've written scripts with
    while ($true) {
        #do stuff
    }

That's like, the canonical way to write intentionally infinite loops. Unless your language has a verbatim loop forever keyword.

• Options
    I always liked for(;;) personally, kind of self explains what's happening, if a little unverbose (kind of reads like 'forever')

• Options
    I always liked for(;;) personally, kind of self explains what's happening, if a little unverbose (kind of reads like 'forever')

I don't really like that because it doesn't really make sense to me. I read it as "for(a bunch of undefined shit)". Also, not all of the languages I use have for loops.

• Options

I don't really like that because it doesn't really make sense to me. I read it as "for(a bunch of undefined shit)". Also, not all of the languages I use have for loops.

JAVA.

EH? EH?

• Options

JAVA.

EH? EH?

:rotate:

• Options
    Nah, Ruby. It doesn't need a for loop because numbers are objects and collections are enumerable.

This discussion has been closed.