Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[chat] of the Year

134689100

Posts

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

    but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

    steam_sig.png
    ChanusHavelock2.0
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am always struck by how perfect Bad Santa is

    it's almost like

    good santa?

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I mean

    Jocks still bully nerds a lot

    It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

    I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

    he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

    because kids are assholes

    It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

    And still super shitty

    SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    shrykeElldrenFroThulhuMsAnthropyA Kobold's Kobold
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I saw Nocturnal Animals tonight and it was very good. It's an independent movie about Amy Adams, LA art curator, stuck in a floundering marriage to a formerly-wealthy businessman whose business is going down the tubes and who may be having an affair. While he's away, she gets a box in the mail: a manuscript of a novel written by her first husband, whom she hasn't heard from in decades. She begins reading the novel, which is a thriller about a man (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his family being attacked by hillbillies on a lonely drive through west Texas, and what happens next; and while reading the novel, she begins musing on her original marriage (also to Jake Gyllenhaal).

    It's meditative and chilly in that art-film way - lots of locked off shots, precise blocking, long pregnant pauses and so forth - but then the film within the film is looser and noirier. Everything is gorgeously filmed and the whole atmosphere, even in the real world, brims with nameless menace. I don't know if it's a timeless classic for the ages but it's very good and reminds me a lot of the kind of atmospheric, vibe-y indie movies I enjoyed in the 90s and early 00s, before that whole Garden State/Little Miss Sunshine era of mandatory whimsy.

    You'll take your whimsy and you'll fucking like it Jacobkosh!

    I just need a lolrandom girl to teach me how to love again

    shrykeDasUberEdwardChanuskedinikMsAnthropyjakobagger
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    No, they kind of throw these out rapid-fire as if they're established facts.

    Sometimes a dude will be talking and they'll put up an unrelated blog post from some conspiracy-theory website about an unrelated topic.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    The Enderjakobagger
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am always struck by how perfect Bad Santa is

    if you liked that then you'll love Bad Santa 2: Bad 2 Da Bone

    steam_sig.png
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

    but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

    like are we the dad now?

    the dad was still pretty cool tho

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    DasUberEdwardThe Ender
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    Hm yes I'd like to know what really happened to the people I know who died

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    The EnderElldren
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    Hm yes I'd like to know what really happened to the people I know who died

    (((y2jake215)))

    is what they would say in response.

    steam_sig.png
    y2jake215Delmain
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

    but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

    You'd either rediscover your inner-child, full of imagination and youthful energy, or you'd throw snowballs at unsuspecting girls.
    calvin-hobbes-santa.png

    The EnderA Kobold's KoboldHavelock2.0
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I am always struck by how perfect Bad Santa is

    if you liked that then you'll love Bad Santa 2: Bad 2 Da Bone

    The only bad part of bad Santa is that it spawned bad teacher and bad moms and bad Santa 2

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    DasUberEdward
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    Hm yes I'd like to know what really happened to the people I know who died

    govt moved them to the Bahamas


    presumably that's also where they shipped the limbs of my friend whom must have agree to have them sawn off as part of the conspiracy


    :|

    With Love and Courage
    y2jake215ElldrenA Kobold's Kobold
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    Feral wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    No, they kind of throw these out rapid-fire as if they're established facts.

    Sometimes a dude will be talking and they'll put up an unrelated blog post from some conspiracy-theory website about an unrelated topic.

    Wait what Boston thing didn't kill people?

    Because one of my best friends survived the marathon bombing

    He's now fighting to survive cancer

    fuck gendered marketing
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Husband put on a local cable access show.

    It's a bunch of white dudes on Skype discussing conspiracy theories.

    This is amazing. It's like conspiracy theory bingo! In 15 minutes, they've covered:

    Free square (9/11 was an inside job)
    "Lee Oswald" didn't kill Kennedy
    Nobody died at Sandy Hook
    "Nobody died in Boston, either."
    George Soros funded Jill Stein's recount campaign to get "Killary" elected
    "Army psy-ops"

    That is interesting.


    Is there a stated reason for the alleged Boston bombing hoax?

    Hm yes I'd like to know what really happened to the people I know who died

    (((y2jake215)))

    is what they would say in response.

    it's what i would say anyway

    even devoid of meaningful context

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    i haven't really read calvin and hobbes in gosh. . .15 years ish? I had a friend in college who had one of the books in his bathroom and i'd take some exceptional long poops just sitting there reading.

    but that was when I was still pretty wet behind the years. I wonder how this version of DUE would take calvin and hobbes.

    You'd either rediscover your inner-child, full of imagination and youthful energy, or you'd throw snowballs at unsuspecting girls.
    calvin-hobbes-santa.png

    why are these assumed to be mutually exclusive

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy RESIST. Registered User regular
    fuck cancer.

    ElldrenBurnageJacobkoshSniperGuyMcFodderThe EnderMsAnthropy
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

    You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

    One does not really need to explain bullying.

    ElldrenFroThulhuMsAnthropy
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

    Bullies don't need a reason other than opportunity.

    except that opportunity is that a person is socially vulnerable

    that social vulnerability comes from somewhere

    a person could be a new kid or be ESL or any number of things

    but it is not, in fact, some random dice roll one day

    people don't like addressing this ugly reality because it sounds remarkably close to assigning blame or fault or trying to make it sound like justifying bullying, when it's none of those things

    what i'm pointing out is that Hollywood has an overwhelming tendency to present protagonists who simply... get bullied, and there's no reason why they do. They just do.

    which makes their bullies look like weird, capricious forces of nature instead of people acting out social pressures and conformity standards and a bunch of other social dynamics

    hence the whole stereotype in Hollywood of bullies who are bullies on account of being abused themselves which again, irl doesn't actually pan out as much as TV would have you believe

  • wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    a massacre of snowmen :p


    Bill is still very much alive just retired.

    wafflesmagee on
    emnmnmeA Kobold's Kobold
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    an example is the Tobey Macguire movies where Flash bullies Peter for no real given reason at all

    Bullies don't need a reason other than opportunity.

    except that opportunity is that a person is socially vulnerable

    that social vulnerability comes from somewhere

    a person could be a new kid or be ESL or any number of things

    but it is not, in fact, some random dice roll one day

    people don't like addressing this ugly reality because it sounds remarkably close to assigning blame or fault or trying to make it sound like justifying bullying, when it's none of those things

    what i'm pointing out is that Hollywood has an overwhelming tendency to present protagonists who simply... get bullied, and there's no reason why they do. They just do.

    which makes their bullies look like weird, capricious forces of nature instead of people acting out social pressures and conformity standards and a bunch of other social dynamics

    hence the whole stereotype in Hollywood of bullies who are bullies on account of being abused themselves which again, irl doesn't actually pan out as much as TV would have you believe

    It can be pretty random what counts as a sign of weakness.

    FroThulhuJuliusMsAnthropyA Kobold's Kobold
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied


    That is 100% the case. "They look vaguely different and/or shy and/or don't have friends" is 100% a reason.

    "Whoever is nearest I can make fun of and doesn't respond the way I want them to" is absolutely a reason someone will get bullied.

    Bullies don't use logic or reason to pick who they decide to marginalize.

    I am literally a teacher and kids have tried to bully me for playing video games.

    I haven't even told them I play video games!

    Kids are shitty and many of them will be jerks. Jocks are especially encouraged to do this due to their peers and surroundings.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    shrykeElldrenFroThulhuA Kobold's Kobold
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    I respect you a great deal and I particularly respect your perspective on jock-shaming in nerd cultures, but on this particular scope of the debate you're not quite right.

    Yes, disabilities and marginalized identities are attractive factors for bullies, but they're not necessary conditions. Rather, adolescent bullies are attracted to victims for one primary reason: their chosen victims have weaker peer connections and fewer people to take their side. The major selective factor, among all others, is that the victim is unpopular.

    Disabilities and marginalized identities can put a victim in the position of being unpopular, or it can simply be that the victim is shy or the new kid in school.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    shrykeElldrenThe EnderJuliusA Kobold's Kobold
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    shryke wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

    You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

    One does not really need to explain bullying.

    The thing is, Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker isn't really especially scrawny, isn't really any more socially awkward than Tobey Macguire is by default, and doesn't really get any establishing hobbies of what a person could consider "uncool" beyond... photography?

    I mean I'm saying the character is poorly developed in general really, but the larger point I'm making is the film relies on a bunch of narrative shorthand for you to jump to the conclusion that he's a mawkish nerd that is some kind of bully magnet and that this makes his interaction with Flash somehow make sense

    and it... doesn't?

    it's weird and poorly done

    Pony on
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    fuck cancer.

    i dunno has anyone ever considered what cancer thinks?

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    fuck cancer.

    i dunno has anyone ever considered what cancer thinks?

    as a cancer,

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    ChanusThe EnderA Kobold's Kobold
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Tobey Maguire comes across as pretty socially awkward though

    Plus being nearly 30 and still being in high school would, I assume, elicit some comments

    Burnage on
    ChanusshrykeElldrenSniperGuyemnmnmeThe EnderDelmaincB557FroThulhuA Kobold's Koboldwanderingjakobagger
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

    You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

    One does not really need to explain bullying.

    The thing is, Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker isn't really especially scrawny, isn't really any more socially awkward than Tobey Macguire is by default, and doesn't really get any establishing hobbies of what a person could consider "uncool" beyond... photography?

    I mean I'm saying the character is poorly developed in general really, but the larger point I'm making is the film relies on a bunch of narrative shorthand for you to jump to the conclusion that he's a mawkish nerd that is some kind of bully magnet and that this makes his interaction with Flash somehow make sense

    and it... doesn't?

    it's weird and poorly done

    But it's not. You understand the shorthands at work and he is portrayed as awkward, scrawny and badly dressed. The whole point is to establish his place int he social hierarchy and a deep-dive into his and Flash's history within the high school social structure is irrelevant to the plot beyond what is established.

  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Tobey Maguire comes across as pretty social awkward though

    Plus being nearly 30 and still being in high school would, I assume, elicit some comments

    i mean

    he is a total nerd

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    I respect you a great deal and I particularly respect your perspective on jock-shaming in nerd cultures, but on this particular scope of the debate you're not quite right.

    Yes, disabilities and marginalized identities are attractive factors for bullies, but they're not necessary conditions. Rather, adolescent bullies are attracted to victims for one primary reason: their chosen victims have weaker peer connections and fewer people to take their side. The major selective factor, among all others, is that the victim is unpopular.

    Disabilities and marginalized identities can put a victim in the position of being unpopular, or it can simply be that the victim is shy or the new kid in school.

    I literally say that exact thing, Feral.

    I mean, I don't say it in the post you quote, but I literally say that bullies choose people based on social vulnerability, and that can very much include a person being ESL or the new kid or just dressing slightly differently or whatever.

    But, again, what I'm saying is that film and television are bad at portraying this. Film and television portray bullies as capricious forces of nature, whose motives are unknowable and it's all kind of absurd.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

    You mean factors like being a socially awkward scrawny kid interested in nerdy things that his peers think are uncool?

    One does not really need to explain bullying.

    The thing is, Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker isn't really especially scrawny, isn't really any more socially awkward than Tobey Macguire is by default, and doesn't really get any establishing hobbies of what a person could consider "uncool" beyond... photography?

    I mean I'm saying the character is poorly developed in general really, but the larger point I'm making is the film relies on a bunch of narrative shorthand for you to jump to the conclusion that he's a mawkish nerd that is some kind of bully magnet and that this makes his interaction with Flash somehow make sense

    and it... doesn't?

    it's weird and poorly done

    Photography is seen as an uncool nerd thing here in the states quite often. Photography is definitely a nerdy hobby. Basically anything that isn't a sport is considered an uncool hobby!

    And Tobey Macguire isn't on the football team like Flash. Thus, target.

    Also in the movie it's clearly set up that Flash has been bullying him for a while, though we don't get to see the entire history (because that would be boring as hell)

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    shryke
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kids are assholes?

    That seems to be the reason most of the time

    irl people are bullied for a myriad of reasons, most of the time because they're not conforming to some expected social or behavioral standard

    like a lot of nerds who get bullied are also, irrespective of being nerds, people who are also struggling with say, depression or anxiety or neuro-atypicality or speech impediments any number of other things going on in their life

    and asshole kids leap upon on that divergence and go YOU, DIFFERENT PERSON, BE MOCKED UPON

    Tobey Macguire's Spider-Man didn't have like... anything?

    He just existed

    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    people who are bullied are bullied because of factors that lead to them being chosen to be so

    factors that aren't necessarily their fault and aren't at all fair

    but also ones that Hollywood isn't super good at portraying in any character who tends to get bullied

    Hollywood no doubt wants to stay away from labels and reasons to keep as large an audience as possible as happy as possible. A summer blockbuster getting into specifics gets the internet riled no matter which motivation the script writers give the bullies.


    Flash is going to beat the shit out of Peter because Peter narc'd on Flash for reckless driving and got his license revoked Peter spilled some food on Flash.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Before we went into the theater, we stopped at the Trader Joe's next door. I came out with a huge tin of "European cookies" (assorted biscuits, basically) and a bottle of rosé

    Sixteen dollars to feel like king fancy isn't too bad

    thatassemblyguyshrykewafflesmageeElldrenFeralMsAnthropyChanusAiouaHavelock2.0wandering
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, I mean Cancer has had a rough go of it these last few decades. First the mill closed, and then one by one the stores in town died off, until all that's left is a tiny grocery store, a gas station, and a check cashing place. And now there's all these foreign types moving into Cancer's town. Cancer doesn't even recognize his country anymore.
    So when someone comes along and tells Cancer they're going to fix all that then Cancer listens. Even if he knows in his cold rotten heart it's all bullshit.

    knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    y'know what I'm gonna drop this subject

    nevermind

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    i think every spiderman film i've seen has done an adequate job of suggesting peter parker doesn't have a great defense network or support system. if one of the accepted routes of bullying is established, popular person vs person without the social currency to resist, it seems to hit those marks. establishing why he doesn't have a network of loyal friends- scrawny, esl, whatever- is, i think, unnecessary.

    Organichu on
    SniperGuyshryke
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    And while it might be comforting to some to think that bullies will target random kids for bullying for no reason and that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they were chosen

    that's not really the case?

    I respect you a great deal and I particularly respect your perspective on jock-shaming in nerd cultures, but on this particular scope of the debate you're not quite right.

    Yes, disabilities and marginalized identities are attractive factors for bullies, but they're not necessary conditions. Rather, adolescent bullies are attracted to victims for one primary reason: their chosen victims have weaker peer connections and fewer people to take their side. The major selective factor, among all others, is that the victim is unpopular.

    Disabilities and marginalized identities can put a victim in the position of being unpopular, or it can simply be that the victim is shy or the new kid in school.

    I literally say that exact thing, Feral.

    I mean, I don't say it in the post you quote, but I literally say that bullies choose people based on social vulnerability, and that can very much include a person being ESL or the new kid or just dressing slightly differently or whatever.

    But, again, what I'm saying is that film and television are bad at portraying this. Film and television portray bullies as capricious forces of nature, whose motives are unknowable and it's all kind of absurd.

    Okay. We got our posts crossed, I think.

    I don't totally agree with the generalization there of TV and movies, but I think we agree on the empirical matter of why bullies do, so imma drop it.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    ElldrenThe Ender
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean

    Jocks still bully nerds a lot

    It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

    I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

    he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

    because kids are assholes

    It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

    And still super shitty

    But being a bully has nothing to do with being into sports, or even anything to do with being physically fit. SM comics reinforce the notion that they do (note that Parker, though being incredibly strong, does not participate in sporting activities & these activities are almost always framed in a negative sense).


    Contrast that with the way that, say, Calvin & Hobbes (since this comic that I like more was mentioned!) presents the same problems & similar situations: Calvin is a sympathetic protagonist that the reader can identify with but isn't romanced the same way that Parker was. In the comics where C&H deal explicitly with bullying, the author tells the reader that, yup, sometimes the world is shitty & full of shitty people and you'll just have to deal with that in a more or less powerless capacity.


    Old SM creates a morality play by demonizing a large body of people & cultural interest with a stereotype & assigning virtue to nerd awkwardness (again, new SM doesn't do this, etc etc). I don't like that.

    With Love and Courage
134689100
This discussion has been closed.