Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] of the Year

1457910100

Posts

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    Spider-Man is a cheesy, goofy, playful superhero. And we love him for that.

    wafflesmagee
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Id feel compelled to bully Tobey maguire too I find it highly realistic

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I do hope the new Spider-Man movie doesn't include Flash and doesn't make Peter into a bullied nerd

    that would be nice

    emnmnmeThe Ender
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    The Tobey Maguire spiderman seems like a socially clueless guy who would get picked on, write a list of bullies to kill, and get expelled when someone else saw it

  • BurnageBurnage irregular Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    The Ender wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean

    Jocks still bully nerds a lot

    It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

    I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

    he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

    because kids are assholes

    It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

    And still super shitty

    But being a bully has nothing to do with being into sports, or even anything to do with being physically fit. SM comics reinforce the notion that they do (note that Parker, though being incredibly strong, does not participate in sporting activities & these activities are almost always framed in a negative sense).


    Contrast that with the way that, say, Calvin & Hobbes (since this comic that I like more was mentioned!) presents the same problems & similar situations: Calvin is a sympathetic protagonist that the reader can identify with but isn't romanced the same way that Parker was. In the comics where C&H deal explicitly with bullying, the author tells the reader that, yup, sometimes the world is shitty & full of shitty people and you'll just have to deal with that in a more or less powerless capacity.


    Old SM creates a morality play by demonizing a large body of people & cultural interest with a stereotype & assigning virtue to nerd awkwardness (again, new SM doesn't do this, etc etc). I don't like that.

    I question how much virtue was assigned to Parker, even in the early years of the comics

    Like, at one point Flash gets kidnapped by Doctor Doom (comics!) and Parker's immediate reaction is basically "LOL guess that's Flash taken care of for me!" before he realises that, wait, that's a kind of shitty reaction, I should probably go rescue him

    The moral which runs through those early comics - from my nostalgic viewpoint, at least - is that people are fundamentally people, and can be both nice and awful regardless of whether we're inclined to view them as heroes or villains

    FeralKanaJacobkoshshrykeElldrenMsAnthropy
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    They should have a Spider-Man movie with Miles Morales where Flash and Kong aren't jocks but are motivated by racism.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    DasUberEdwardwandering
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    being 3/4 through westworld and everyone else either not having started or already having finished is killing me

    next time i get into a series maybe i'll invite friends to watch so we can talk symmetrically

    DasUberEdward
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    Sam Raimi's Spidermans are absolutely cheesy as fuck. We all forget it because at the time there was little else to compare it to. But after the comic book movie boom it helped spawn adopted a different style altogether, it's really noticeable.

    It's also why Spiderman 3 flops so badly imo because the whole black suit thing just doesn't fit the style he's going for at all.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    They should have a Spider-Man movie with Miles Morales where Flash and Kong aren't jocks but are motivated by racism.

    or just get rid of Flash because he's an awful character, and not have Spider-Man be the victim of bullying?

    like, I don't think it's actually a good thing to have a super-hero be the victim of bullying

    because it's not like he's going to respond to that in the nuanced, mature, healthy way that they really should in real life to convey a good and healthy message to kids

    no he's gonna kick that bully's ass with his superpowers and I am making a face at that idea

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean

    Jocks still bully nerds a lot

    It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

    I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

    he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

    because kids are assholes

    It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

    And still super shitty

    But being a bully has nothing to do with being into sports, or even anything to do with being physically fit. SM comics reinforce the notion that they do (note that Parker, though being incredibly strong, does not participate in sporting activities & these activities are almost always framed in a negative sense).


    Contrast that with the way that, say, Calvin & Hobbes (since this comic that I like more was mentioned!) presents the same problems & similar situations: Calvin is a sympathetic protagonist that the reader can identify with but isn't romanced the same way that Parker was. In the comics where C&H deal explicitly with bullying, the author tells the reader that, yup, sometimes the world is shitty & full of shitty people and you'll just have to deal with that in a more or less powerless capacity.


    Old SM creates a morality play by demonizing a large body of people & cultural interest with a stereotype & assigning virtue to nerd awkwardness (again, new SM doesn't do this, etc etc). I don't like that.

    I don't think it assigns "virtue" to nerd awkwardness. In the panels you posted he's being awkward because he's trying to avoid a situation where he'll be mocked so he can leave and go fight crime and save people's lives. He's awkward because he's a nerd, but also because he's trying to keep his identity secret.


    And sadly, being a bully does have a lot to do with being into sports. As does being physically fit. It's an easy vector to target for bullies. There's a reason bullies are often stereotyped in media as being jocks and the head football player. Quite often those positions have been pressured to be really shitty to people who aren't in that group. I myself was mocked by a coach in my high school because of a school article I wrote. He mocked my article to his classes and his team because he disagreed with it, and I didn't even have his class. But that coach chose to tell his students, my classmates, that my article was ridiculous. (my article was part of a pro/con thing by two writers about the Iraq War. I wrote the Con side, suggesting it was a bad idea at the time.)

    This isn't something pulled out of air to mock athletes, it's a very real problem that still exists. Of course not all athletes and jocks are like that, but there has absolutely been a culture that encourages it.

    Spider-Man and stuff like it was one of the few things telling nerdy kids that they don't deserve to be treated like that. And in addition, instead of going on power trip revenge fantasies against the jocks, Spider-Man tells people he has more important things to do like saving people!

    I wonder what Calvin would look like as a high schooler.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    shryke
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    At least Sam Raimi, for the most part, knows how to do camp right.

    Not sure what was going on with SM3 tho.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    KanaJacobkoshshrykeElldrenMsAnthropywandering
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    Pony wrote: »
    I do hope the new Spider-Man movie doesn't include Flash and doesn't make Peter into a bullied nerd

    that would be nice

    CAVEAT!


    Newer takes on Flash are pretty good, so if they use a modern interpretation of the character I'll be on board with it (physically fit guy who is into sports & happens to conflict with Peter because they want the same girl. Peter is not, in most modern stories, given moral virtue in this love triangle just because he's a nerd and Flash isn't).

    Flash also becomes a vet & loses his legs & goes on special ops missions wearing Venom to compensate for his disability and while some of that goes into whacky comic books territory it is still p. awesome.

    With Love and Courage
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy RESIST. ಠ_ಠRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    This is not true.

    (i.e., i still think red-head Dunst is p. cute)

    thatassemblyguy on
    FroThulhuJuliusMadCaddy
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    Are we not doing that now?

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    wandering
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    ok but ~*!The Intro to X-2, tho!*~

    Kanaemnmnme
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Okay I'm going to bed, good night chat.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean

    Jocks still bully nerds a lot

    It's a culturally accepted thing, which is really shitty

    I literally saw a kid get made fun of because he was reading a manga in school today

    he was sitting at a table reading it and people shouted across a lunch room to mock him

    because kids are assholes

    It's a true stereotype because it's still super common

    And still super shitty

    But being a bully has nothing to do with being into sports, or even anything to do with being physically fit. SM comics reinforce the notion that they do (note that Parker, though being incredibly strong, does not participate in sporting activities & these activities are almost always framed in a negative sense).


    Contrast that with the way that, say, Calvin & Hobbes (since this comic that I like more was mentioned!) presents the same problems & similar situations: Calvin is a sympathetic protagonist that the reader can identify with but isn't romanced the same way that Parker was. In the comics where C&H deal explicitly with bullying, the author tells the reader that, yup, sometimes the world is shitty & full of shitty people and you'll just have to deal with that in a more or less powerless capacity.


    Old SM creates a morality play by demonizing a large body of people & cultural interest with a stereotype & assigning virtue to nerd awkwardness (again, new SM doesn't do this, etc etc). I don't like that.

    I don't think it assigns "virtue" to nerd awkwardness. In the panels you posted he's being awkward because he's trying to avoid a situation where he'll be mocked so he can leave and go fight crime and save people's lives. He's awkward because he's a nerd, but also because he's trying to keep his identity secret.


    And sadly, being a bully does have a lot to do with being into sports. As does being physically fit. It's an easy vector to target for bullies. There's a reason bullies are often stereotyped in media as being jocks and the head football player. Quite often those positions have been pressured to be really shitty to people who aren't in that group. I myself was mocked by a coach in my high school because of a school article I wrote. He mocked my article to his classes and his team because he disagreed with it, and I didn't even have his class. But that coach chose to tell his students, my classmates, that my article was ridiculous. (my article was part of a pro/con thing by two writers about the Iraq War. I wrote the Con side, suggesting it was a bad idea at the time.)

    This isn't something pulled out of air to mock athletes, it's a very real problem that still exists. Of course not all athletes and jocks are like that, but there has absolutely been a culture that encourages it.

    Spider-Man and stuff like it was one of the few things telling nerdy kids that they don't deserve to be treated like that. And in addition, instead of going on power trip revenge fantasies against the jocks, Spider-Man tells people he has more important things to do like saving people!

    I wonder what Calvin would look like as a high schooler.

    I'm going to take umbrage here with your characterizing of school sports culture ("jocks") as somehow being uniquely suited to or prone to perpetuating bullying, when the reality is the only thing that makes "jocks" more likely to be bullies is A.) Toxic masculinity in general, which is not at all unique to sports cultures and is fucking rotten in nerd cultures in a really pervasive low-key way and B.) More saliently, the social strata of prominence, importance, and latitude afforded to people who are successful members of sports teams. Again, because bullying is intrinsically linked to social vulnerability, people who are part of subcultures that inherently put them in a higher social standing are going to be in a better position to be bullies. That sports culture is the one that's on the top heap isn't actually a unique feature of sports culture itself, sorry that a coach was a dickhead to you bro.

    There is so much hideous, toxic bullying and gross masculine bullshit in nerd culture and I do call it out frequently (to the point that people in chat give me shit for it), so if you want to say "The problem is teenagers are awful", I'll deffo agree but if you're gonna sit there and go "lol fuck jocks"

    c'mon dude.

    The EnderJuliusA Kobold's Kobold
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    I like that Parker is a victim of bullying and I like that (for the most part) he is tempted to turn the tables on Flash but doesn't really act on it.

    He realizes that exerting his newfound strength on somebody weaker then him makes him a bully, too. That's a good message for nerds, IMO.

    I can totally sympathize that Flash Thompson feels like a stereotype of jocks, especially 50 years later when we've seen that same stereotype played out a million times across all different media.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    JacobkoshshrykeElldrenMsAnthropyA Kobold's Koboldjakobagger
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    If we don't embrace the cheese, the grimdark will come back to take its place.

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    speaking of bullying

    this single fly has been in my apartment for three days and he's my terror

    what have i done to deserve

  • BurnageBurnage irregular Registered User regular
    sexy pokemon [chat]
    Organichu wrote: »
    speaking of bullying

    this single fly has been in my apartment for three days and he's my terror

    what have i done to deserve

    You say fly

    I think you mean "new roommate"

  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I do hope the new Spider-Man movie doesn't include Flash and doesn't make Peter into a bullied nerd

    that would be nice

    Flash is there, but as a change hes Latino not white

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    I rewatched the original trilogy recently. Unsurprisingly, #2 holds up the best and #3 is still pretty bad.

    But the stuff that is dumb in #1 is the same stuff that was dumb when the movie was new.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    JacobkoshshrykeElldrenMsAnthropy
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I like that Parker is a victim of bullying and I like that (for the most part) he is tempted to turn the tables on Flash but doesn't really act on it.

    He realizes that exerting his newfound strength on somebody weaker then him makes him a bully, too. That's a good message for nerds, IMO.

    I can totally sympathize that Flash Thompson feels like a stereotype of jocks, especially 50 years later when we've seen that same stereotype played out a million times across all different media.

    The problem is that there's very few adaptations of Spider-Man that include Flash where Peter doesn't kick Flash's ass with his new super-powers. The Raimi movie is an excellent example. Is Peter technically defending himself against Flash's attack? At first, yes. But then he fuckin' punches Flash into next fuckin' week and it's like...

    Man, I just do not like the moral that sends kids who are the victims of bullying.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    They should have a Spider-Man movie with Miles Morales where Flash and Kong aren't jocks but are motivated by racism.

    or just get rid of Flash because he's an awful character, and not have Spider-Man be the victim of bullying?

    like, I don't think it's actually a good thing to have a super-hero be the victim of bullying

    because it's not like he's going to respond to that in the nuanced, mature, healthy way that they really should in real life to convey a good and healthy message to kids

    no he's gonna kick that bully's ass with his superpowers and I am making a face at that idea

    But that's not even what Raimi's Spiderman does. He eventually goes from just avoiding engagement to actively kicking his ass as he goes on a powertrip and just feels awesome, to realising that he's just made people dislike him more and think he's a freak.

    The whole point of that scene is to establish his power and then showcase how doing exactly what you are talking about, just beating up the bully, doesn't really fix his him.

    Spiderman's whole thing is basically built on this premise whereby his use of his powers for personal satisfaction and power-tripping cost him and he makes a conscious turn towards altruism.


    Peter Parker being the target of bullying is part of his character because it establishes his place in the social hierarchy (the lowest level) and showcases the kind of person he is by the way he doesn't use his powers to try to ass-kick his way up the food chain and instead consciously works to suppress those impulses within himself and to be a better person.

    JacobkoshMsAnthropy
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Maybe instead of a jock, Flash could be the dude who works at the DMV. And his girlfriend could be Kirsten Bell. And Peter Parker could be not really a superhero, but a scam artist who gets caught up in a missing persons investigation with a rookie cop.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    The EnderMsAnthropy
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I like that Parker is a victim of bullying and I like that (for the most part) he is tempted to turn the tables on Flash but doesn't really act on it.

    He realizes that exerting his newfound strength on somebody weaker then him makes him a bully, too. That's a good message for nerds, IMO.

    I can totally sympathize that Flash Thompson feels like a stereotype of jocks, especially 50 years later when we've seen that same stereotype played out a million times across all different media.

    The problem is that there's very few adaptations of Spider-Man that include Flash where Peter doesn't kick Flash's ass with his new super-powers. The Raimi movie is an excellent example. Is Peter technically defending himself against Flash's attack? At first, yes. But then he fuckin' punches Flash into next fuckin' week and it's like...

    Man, I just do not like the moral that sends kids who are the victims of bullying.

    Point taken.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    aesthetic [chat]
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    I don't think so. The costume design in Civil War & Winter Soldier is great, compared to the largely terrible costuming in SM. The CGI elements will look dated, but Civil War & WS don't lean on them as much as SM leaned on its own CGI elements for spidey's action scenes.

    With Love and Courage
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    speaking of bullying

    this single fly has been in my apartment for three days and he's my terror

    what have i done to deserve

    Open a window and freeze him to death.

    thatassemblyguy
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I do hope the new Spider-Man movie doesn't include Flash and doesn't make Peter into a bullied nerd

    that would be nice

    Flash is there, but as a change hes Latino not white

    gross

  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    How about instead of flash being a bully, we don't make a third Spider-Man franchise in 15 years

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    PonycB557knitdan
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    At least Sam Raimi, for the most part, knows how to do camp right.

    Not sure what was going on with SM3 tho.

    As I remember it was alot of studio interference trying to jam the black suit/Venom plot into the movie. He originally wanted to do just a Sandman thing.

    So SM3 ends up with a plot the tone can't really handle properly and which the director I think clearly believes is stupid and ridiculous and so he treats it as such.

    The black suit arc is not campy, it's angsty.

    Feral
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    How about instead of flash being a bully, we don't make a third Spider-Man franchise in 15 years

    The mistake was the second franchise, which only existed at all so Sony could hold on to the rights.

    I'm pretty stoked about Spidey coming back to Marvel, personally.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    spool32shryke
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Spider-Man became a bully himself in the beginning.
    K6eTm.jpg

    The Ender
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    I don't think so. The costume design in Civil War & Winter Soldier is great, compared to the largely terrible costuming in SM. The CGI elements will look dated, but Civil War & WS don't lean on them as much as SM leaned on its own CGI elements for spidey's action scenes.

    I've met a couple of people who absolutely can't suspend their disbelief towards Cap's shield ricochet shenanigans.

    It's a pretty seminal aspect of the character but I can see it being something we roll our eyes at in a few decades.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst looks kinda silly as a redhead in that video these days

    I am surprised at how cheesy that whole clip looks

    hot take: The Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movies are bad and cheesy and always have been

    our standards for super-hero movies was super low back in those days

    also the first X-Men movie was fucking garbo

    I don't want to watch the first X-Men movie again because I have mostly good memories and I am 100% sure they'll be ruined. Especially after seeing that spidey clip.


    I wonder, in 50 years, will we be making fun of how cheesy Civil War/Winter Soldier are?

    I rewatched the original trilogy recently. Unsurprisingly, #2 holds up the best and #3 is still pretty bad.

    But the stuff that is dumb in #1 is the same stuff that was dumb when the movie was new.

    SM1 was always really weak in alot of ways and only skated by on being out on it's own with nothing competing with it really. The origin part is really strong and then, like most origin films, it flounders as it can't find any way to make the rest of the movie work after the origin is done.

    X-Men 1, on the other hand, I'd say is surprisingly not bad still. The biggest issue is there's no real sense of letting loose with the mutant fights like you kinda want them to and also the perennial issue of Wolverine the best, Cyclops the worst. But even that is muted compared to what it is in later films and there's a better sense of balance between the two and even a hint of them coming to some sort of understanding towards the end where they don't like each other but do respect each other. But mostly it's not bad.

    KanaFeral
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Brief thought about westworld (full season):
    I don't know where they can even go from here? It basically has to become a totally different show

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    to be clear I poop on the Raimi Spider-Man movies and the first X-Men movie not because of like

    badly dated CGI or whatever

    but because I think they're terribly written and have some dodgy as fuck acting and are badly paced and have really fucked up messaging

    a few caveats:

    1. I have never, ever liked the hyper-serious take on the X-Men that tries to compare their plight to racism, homophobia, or anti-Semitism (aka most takes on the X-Men). It's offensive as fuck and I hate it and have always hated it since I was a fuckin' child. It's why I generally don't like the X-Men as a whole.
    2. The plot of the first X-Men is DUMB.
    3. The first X-Men movie was made when super-heroes were still considered too lame to be mainstream film properties and couldn't be adapted straight, so it is full of outright sneering at the source material ("Would you prefer yellow spandex?"). It's part of the Smallville generation of super-hero adaptations that were Too Cool For School.
    4. Tobey Macguire is a bad actor and was a bad choice for Peter Parker and is really a bad choice to be in... movies.
    5. The pacing of the Spider-Man films are AWFUL in general.
    6. The dialogue of the Spider-Man films are terrible but this might be intentional Raimi camp? idk

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2016
    "cheesy" is a spectacularly useless word

    some people use it to describe a thing that doesn't take itself 100% seriously and indulges in theatrics or in winks to the audience

    other people use it to describe something that has the temerity to take itself or its genre content more seriously than they think it ought to

    some people use it to mean "cheap." other people use it to mean "dated." all do so without really introspecting or explaining why those things are de facto bad

    it's pointless

    Jacobkosh on
    jakobagger
This discussion has been closed.