As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Watch [MOVIES], In A Theater!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    You don't use the Eagles to go to Mordor because Sauron would see them coming a hundred miles away and the Ringwraiths have their dread wyvern things that would intercept them.

This and also the eagles are extremely self-centered and haughty. Sure let's put the magical artifact that magnifies ambition, selfishness, and greed into their safe-keeping.

Took me three passes before I realized you were talking about the books and not continuing to riff on the band

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My main confusion there was that the eagles had barely been mentioned aside from rescuing Gandalf that one time.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A good friend of mine was a psych major in college, at a super arts focused school (technically we had other programs, but the pride and joy were the music school, the theatre school, and the art school). She did a lot of work with her independent studies examining the phenomenon of the tortured artist - talking to artists about mental illness and drug use and how that may or may not make them feel "more legit." And of course a ton of actual research that led up to her doing specific studies with the student population. It was super interesting - as with many instances of psych research, it mostly just confirmed a lot of things that we already know (artists are depressed and do a lot of drugs), but the whole path to get there and the specifics that came out of it were fascinating.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My main confusion there was that the eagles had barely been mentioned aside from rescuing Gandalf that one time.

That's where I was too. "What the fuck? They have giant Eagles? Why didn't they just call Don Henley and ask for help?"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I guess a glib way to put it is that those artists that suffer the way we think of it find that suffering internally(and the art is often an expression of that suffering), but Teller wants it so much he's willing to have other people inflict it on him, without understanding the difference.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    A good friend of mine was a psych major in college, at a super arts focused school (technically we had other programs, but the pride and joy were the music school, the theatre school, and the art school). She did a lot of work with her independent studies examining the phenomenon of the tortured artist - talking to artists about mental illness and drug use and how that may or may not make them feel "more legit." And of course a ton of actual research that led up to her doing specific studies with the student population. It was super interesting - as with many instances of psych research, it mostly just confirmed a lot of things that we already know (artists are depressed and do a lot of drugs), but the whole path to get there and the specifics that came out of it were fascinating.

I have 100% legit wondered if my refusal to get into recreational drugs has limited my ability as a writer.

• Options
    I would suggest that's the fault of the tutor rather than Teller. He doesn't seem to invite the abuse at all, or ever indicate that he feels it's making him a better player.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh the tutor is absolutely an awful person.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I love Whiplash because it's one of the only movies I've seen that actually addresses that playing music is incredibly physically demanding

As someone who has walked away from shows and practices bleeding on a regular basis, I really appreciated someone finally covering that angle

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Teller and Simmons both want the same outcome. They want him to be the next Charlie Parker. Simmons terms the story of the cymbal being thrown at Parker's head and both of them cling to this notion that to be the best you have to overcome adversity and be completely devoted to your art. The teacher must abuse and the student must endure.

• Options
    In real life Teller would never play that ride pattern as long as his method of practising it was "tighten up a bunch, grimace and try and go real fast" and he'd probably have had a career ending injury first

Slow down, make the movement smaller, relax. Behold, you can play the thing.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    There was this book I read years and years ago, a satire called Torture the Artist. My memory's a bit hazy on the specifics, but the gist of it is there a shadowy arts cabal that finds talented youngsters and then conspires to make their lives fucking miserable so that they generate particularly beautiful and meaningful works. And then eventually the shadowy arts cabal gets taken over by advertisers.

It was really good!

Are you sure that was satire?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I read an article where a jazz musician said they were worried that Whiplash would scare people away from jazz. But I think it's actually gonna have the opposite effect and inspire a lot of people to get into it. Anyway I know the movie had an inspirational effect on me - yeah the teacher is an abusive dick and everything, but I still came outta the movie thinking man, I want to go make something. And when my brother the artist watched it he said it made him want to draw. The main character is just so driven it makes you wanna be driven too.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I read an article where a jazz musician said they were worried that Whiplash would scare people away from jazz. But I think it's actually gonna have the opposite effect and inspire a lot of people to get into it. Anyway I know the movie had an inspirational effect on me - yeah the teacher is an abusive dick and everything, but I still came outta the movie thinking man, I want to go make something. And when my brother the artist watched it he said it made him want to draw. The main character is just so driven it makes you wanna be driven too.

Ironically, I think La La Land's starry-eyed vehement endorsement of jazz will drive more people away

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

That's how I felt about Miss Daisy

• Options
    Pooro, you have been just killing it lately.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    If I'm remembering correctly, the Lord of the Eagles heard the commotion when Bilbo and co. were trapped by the Wargs and Goblins. They went to investigate and helped them escape because fuck Wargs and Goblins. They also didn't take them any further on their journey because fuck Men.

Well, Dwarves.

Giant Eagles are al

That's how I felt about Miss Daisy

That's how I felt about Norman in City Slickers

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I was debating doing a double feature on Tuesday and seeing Rogue One and La La Land but apparently Baxter MN isn't cool enough to have La La Land playing.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    My wife and I are going to the movies on Saturday. Not sure if we're seeing Rogue One or Arrival. I'm actually leaning towards Arrival, even though I really want to see Rogue One.

• Options
    Arrival isn't playing either.

• Options
    I was debating doing a double feature on Tuesday and seeing Rogue One and La La Land but apparently Baxter MN isn't cool enough to have La La Land playing.

Of course it's not cool enough. Its name is Baxter!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    My wife and I are going to the movies on Saturday. Not sure if we're seeing Rogue One or Arrival. I'm actually leaning towards Arrival, even though I really want to see Rogue One.

They are ao different it's hard to recommend one over the other. You won't be disappointed with either.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Looks like Arrival is no longer playing in my local theaters. So it's Rogue One or La La Land. Pretty sure we're choosing Rogue One, as we don't get out to the theater often any more. May as well put the screen size and sound system to good use.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i don't understand any of these conversations

let's talk about porky's

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    i don't understand any of these conversations

let's talk about porky's

ugh, let's not

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Finally, the live action Dale Gribble film I've been waiting for
    neil_armstrong_is_actually_dale_from_king_of_the_hill-301431.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    excuse me, that's obviously Rusty Shackleford

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The episode where Rusty Shackleford confronts Dale about using his name for his whole life is so goddamn great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    excuse me, that's obviously Rusty Shackleford

Dale Gribble is merely Rusty Shackleford's representative and has never done anything himself noteworthy enough to make a biopic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    at least once a month I remember how great king of the hill was and am infuriated at the fact that it's not streaming anywhere

• Options
    at least once a month I remember how great king of the hill was and am infuriated at the fact that it's not streaming anywhere

What makes it worse is Netflix had the whole thing for a long time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Let's talk about Summer Camp Nightmare

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Home Alone 2 is on

Why doesn't Kevin just shoot the bandits

(Seriously, it would be more humane)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

i have already committed my tax return to buying the whole series on dvd

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    king of the hill is one of the few shows I would actually consider getting on DVD that I don't already own

• Options
    for the longest time you couldn't even get later seasons on dvd. they just recently started releasing the rest.

that was when i knew there was no excuse not to own it all.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I do that Google Rewards survey stuff for Android and like every 6 months I finally have enough for a season of King of the Hill.

I'm working my way backwards because of how hard it was to find the later seasons on DVD.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    king of the hill is one of the few shows I would actually consider getting on DVD that I don't already own

May as well just go digital with it, itunes or amazon

... Fuck it, I'm pulling that trigger right now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Home Alone 2 is on

Why doesn't Kevin just shoot the bandits

(Seriously, it would be more humane)

They actually died at the beginning of the first Home Alone, and everything they've been through in those movies is a personal hell.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.