As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come post pictures of your [Gunpla] & other scale models in this thread

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Rick Dias is an excellent choice too, though you should also check out the Dom R35 from build fighters

@Bluedude152 Wait, you need it to be bigger than 1/144th to add an eye-light, correct? If stuff like HGUC is viable, then there's all sorts of Doms and Dias' you could pick from (R35 from Build fighters is pretty neat), I was just assuming you'd want a Master Grade or something of similar scale (1/100th).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The R35 is extremely good and I'm definitely not biased in any way.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I think I want to try lighting up a Dom, any suggestions of a model? There are like 15 variants

Dom Funf/Tropen for the win!

Edit: It looks like there are only MG kits for the basic Dom, and the Rick Dom in standard or Char color schemes (plus some special release versions with slightly different colors), so I guess the questions you need to decide are how you feel about rose red vs violet, and whether you want a ground-pounder or a space-case?

Just get both. You can't go wrong with the best Zeon grunt suit.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So

What do people do with their gunpla

Im uh

Running out of room in my shelf

Should I just out the boring ones in storage?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So

What do people do with their gunpla

Im uh

Running out of room in my shelf

Should I just out the boring ones in storage?

More shelving.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Make a Zaku out of hamster tubes
    *single drop of sweat*

• Options
    Man

Why is Dom r35 hard to find

There doesnt seem to be any american sellers

There are ones on ebay for like double the cost tho

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Man

Based on comments from the previous page, it sounds like if you wait a bit that might go back down?
    Heffling wrote: »
    Amazon’s Gunpla prices have gone up quite a bit this year

It's cyclical. Amazon themselves don't carry a lot of Gunpla, so it's mostly third parties. You'll see huge variations in price, especially right after a kit is reprinted.
    They also tend to be marked up a whole lot right after release, especially once the first batch the third party sellers get sells out.

The A-Z gundam was going for $30 last time I looked.
    Heffling wrote: »
    They also tend to be marked up a whole lot right after release, especially once the first batch the third party sellers get sells out.

The A-Z gundam was going for $30 last time I looked.

They get marked up until 6 weeks after release, which coincidentally is the amount of time it takes to ship something by seat from Japan to the US (and clear customs).

Alternatively, Hobbylink Japan is an english-language exporter based in Japan that I had great experiences with back when I could afford to go ham on buying gunpla. They've got it in stock and on sale for about US$10 (~$16 normally).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man

@Bluedude152 the seller Toy Shop Japan Hobbyone on Amazon has some for $17. It's who I use and I've never had trouble with them. They get stuff to me from Japan standard shipping in like a week and a half.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    oooh that works

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I can give a +1 for Toy Shop Hobby Japan, I've bought around a dozen kits from them. Delivery has always been at or under the predicted date. I bought the MG Psycho Gundam from them on a Monday and had it that Friday.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Now if I could just find a RG rick dias for cheap and all my dreams will come true

Edit: Lol what do you know they have a cheap one, its just the one thats even older than the 2001 one

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I finally started painting today.

s40u4y8klvwp.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Fuck it ill just wait on delivery times

Do I get

RICK DIAS

DOM r35 painted in regular dom colors
    61MKDE3Z3pL._SL1500_.jpg
    DOM TROPEN
    4902425782096_1.jpg
    Dreissen
    hguc_dreissen_p003.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    dreissen is my favorite dom-family suit, tho i don't know if the kit does it justice

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    It seems to have a lot of shit!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That middle one has an extra bazooka magazine. I got a likening of gunpla that carry spare ammo on them so I say the middle.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I'm already seeing what mistakes I've made so far, and how to correct them not only in the future, but as I work on the Astaroth. I am so very happy that i took my time and made sure I was prepared to start with instead of just jumping in headfirst and then quitting when my lack of foresight made things too frustrating.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like the first Dom picture, because big spiky shields on robots is a good look.

• Options
    Gonna have to vote Tropen, here. Love the shield on the bazooka, and the extra magazine. Plus, the external turbine intakes for the hover-jets is a little bit of real-robot detail I always really appreciated.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I say get all three.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Get a Dom Trooper

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Dom Tropen is my pick. But the Origin Dom Test Type looks good too, if you hadn't already considered it.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I still stand by the Rick Dom II being an incredible kit for its age.

I have this mental distinction between "gunpla where the shoulder pegs are part of the torso" and "gunpla with full polycap shoulders"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Minor question:

Does anyone here glue together their kits? If so, what kind of glue do you use?

As I'm cleaning/organizing my overall collection (see the D&D Chat thread for my woes with that), I want to go back through my high-end models and glue them finally, maybe even paint them. I definitely want to improve their overall durability. But I don't know if there is a specific type of glue I should be using.

Back when I did modeling as a kid, I used plastic cement. For my more recent miniatures, I picked up a bottle of loctite squeezable gel super glue, that seems to work pretty well. I just don't know if any one type is better than another.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Minor question:

As I'm cleaning/organizing my overall collection (see the D&D Chat thread for my woes with that), I want to go back through my high-end models and glue them finally, maybe even paint them. I definitely want to improve their overall durability. But I don't know if there is a specific type of glue I should be using.

Back when I did modeling as a kid, I used plastic cement. For my more recent miniatures, I picked up a bottle of loctite squeezable gel super glue, that seems to work pretty well. I just don't know if any one type is better than another.

I've only used glue very in frequently and only on very small pieces that popped of frequently. Also on plastic ball joints. I'd put a very thin layer of glue onto the ball and let it try to tighten up some joints.

Now I just use gorilla super glue.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Minor question:

I don't lock down entire kits, but I'll use tamiya thin cement on some parts if things aren't staying put like they should.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I glue everything, using different types of glue depending on the application.

Plastic cement is what I use nearly 98% of time. Think of this stuff as welding pieces together, because it briefly breaks up the chemical bonds of the plastic, and as it dries the pieces become one single piece. I primarily use this inside parts, doing a light application where "female" and "male" parts meet. (Side note: are there better terms than these?) Some folks will line the edges of parts together to make them appear more seamless, for example where the left and right sides of a lower arm join. I consider this too tricky to do in most cases, as it's very easy to put too much cement in there and have it spill out when joining. One word of caution: as the plastic melts together, pay particular attention to thin parts, and especially to joining two parts of different colors. I've had the red coloring of a chin piece bleed through a face plate before.

Other glues include cyanoacrylate (CA, "super glue") which bonds nearly instantly, though tends to be brittle, and epoxies, which are way overkill for gunpla and are really intended to support far heavier loads. I basically never use CA on gunpla at all.

• Options
    https://bd77.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/improving-the-hguc-dreissen/

Ive been doing some research because I want to do some heavy modding

Have a guide for a movable monoeye!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Next step: Get an LED up in that eye.

EDIT: Welp, now I am watching videos on how to do that.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    I have a ebay link for the worlds smallest led if you serious

The light should travel right up that shaft

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I have a ebay link for the worlds smallest led if you serious

The light should travel right up that shaft

:winky:

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Plastic cement is what I use nearly 98% of time. Think of this stuff as welding pieces together, because it briefly breaks up the chemical bonds of the plastic, and as it dries the pieces become one single piece. I primarily use this inside parts, doing a light application where "female" and "male" parts meet. (Side note: are there better terms than these?) Some folks will line the edges of parts together to make them appear more seamless, for example where the left and right sides of a lower arm join. I consider this too tricky to do in most cases, as it's very easy to put too much cement in there and have it spill out when joining. One word of caution: as the plastic melts together, pay particular attention to thin parts, and especially to joining two parts of different colors. I've had the red coloring of a chin piece bleed through a face plate before.

Other glues include cyanoacrylate (CA, "super glue") which bonds nearly instantly, though tends to be brittle, and epoxies, which are way overkill for gunpla and are really intended to support far heavier loads. I basically never use CA on gunpla at all.

Do you have a brand of plastic cement you prefer? I was looking at supplies today and I saw Citadel has a brand of plastic glue, but I don't know if it is the same time. I also saw people talking about other brands, and thickness, and such like that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Do you have a brand of plastic cement you prefer? I was looking at supplies today and I saw Citadel has a brand of plastic glue, but I don't know if it is the same time. I also saw people talking about other brands, and thickness, and such like that.

Tamiya Extra Think Cement. About $4 a bottle at Hobby Lobby.

• Options
    ... Extra Thin, you mean?

Cool.

Now I just need to find a good source of transforming Macross models.

• Options
    ... Extra Thin, you mean?

Cool.

Now I just need to find a good source of transforming Macross models.

You and me both. Good luck with that.

This discussion has been closed.