As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Note for PAX '05

ChunkyButterChunkyButter Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
Put it in a town that SELLS ALCOHOL. I didnt bring any with me cause I figured itd be easy enough to buy some there, after searching the safe way, 2 drug stores, and what appeared to be a liquor store (except there was no liquor) I found out the truth: theres no hard liquor in the town. Although there is one store just outside of town that closes at 9pm that sells alcohol, which we dubbed "The Mythical Liquor Store". The directions we got to find this store were this, "Go down 8th street about 10 miles until you find 3 gas stations at the same intersection, take a left and go a few more miles, you'll see a large parking lot where there used to be a K-Mart, you'll see a bum sleeping in a trash can, talk to the bum cause he totally knows where the liquor store is" We got these directions an hour after the store closes, so it didnt even matter at this point.

Now by alcohol I mean hard liquor, such as vodka, rum, tequila, etc. The only things for sale in the town were beer and wine, and I cant get drunk on beer unless I hook up a tap to my veins and drinking wine just wouldnt be right for such an event.

I pretty much never drink (maybe 2 times a year), but when one of those days I'm planning on getting drunk gets ruined, I get a little upset. I guess now I know to always bring my own liquor.

Other then that PAX was great :)

ChunkyButter on

• Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Let's hear it for North West liquor laws!

*half-hearted cheer* Oh, wait, I was being sarcastic... crap, don't I look sheepish now...

-Kyle

Quethal on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    I live a block from that liquor store. I worked there for a while. It's called "Wine, Spirits & Liquor".

What you should've done is gone down 8th, taken a right a 148th, and stopped at 148th & Main (There are two Texacos, a Chevron, and a 7-11 around that intersection). The liquor store is in the strip mall kitty-corner from the 7-11, is about the size of a K-Mart, and has the single largest alcohol content in the state of Washington (you can even get Everclear or Absinthe there if you know the owner). Stocking the shelves in that place was a bitch.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    you can just, you know, go to a bar

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:

See, the problem with that would be getting BACK from the bar. With your wallet. And other things.

And, some people can't go into bars just yet. :?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:

getting drunk in a bar costs about 100x as much as getting drunk from store bought liquor. Plus the plan was to play gamecube all night while getting drunk, we just cut out the getting drunk part and only played the gamecube.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    if you like to just, you know, pay out your fucking ass for a beer

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:

go to a bar that doesn't suck

Borfase on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

show me a bar that chargess less for a beer than a regular store and i'll go to it.

[GoBeavers]I think you forget, borfase, that most of us don't have parents that funnel us money while we're down at Hippie U smoking hash and organizing protests.[/GoBeavers] thus, since we don't have that kind of money, we don't like to throw it away. thus, same quality but cheaper = better.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    If next year's PAX is after July 27th, I'll be sure to bring plenty of white wine...the red wine you guys had in that trash party going on down on the bottom floor was crap.

I prefer Chardonnay.

What do you think? Am I an italian wine bastard or something? :p

And here's a little shameless plug: Check out my goddamn Motorball site.
    http://machinima.aydemirfilms.com/motorball

Kato_Arabel on
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    Borfase wrote:

show me a bar that chargess less for a beer than a regular store and i'll go to it.

[GoBeavers]I think you forget, borfase, that most of us don't have parents that funnel us money while we're down at Hippie U smoking hash and organizing protests.[/GoBeavers] thus, since we don't have that kind of money, we don't like to throw it away. thus, same quality but cheaper = better.

man, fuck the beavers

Borfase on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Next year, Ill be 21 for PAX, Ill be sure to bring some Tequilla...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Tequilla? how about everclear and some apple pucker!

Mr.Sci-Fi on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Put it in a town that SELLS ALCOHOL. I didnt bring any with me cause I figured itd be easy enough to buy some there, after searching the safe way, 2 drug stores, and what appeared to be a liquor store (except there was no liquor) I found out the truth: theres no hard liquor in the town. Although there is one store just outside of town that closes at 9pm that sells alcohol, which we dubbed "The Mythical Liquor Store". The directions we got to find this store were this, "Go down 8th street about 10 miles until you find 3 gas stations at the same intersection, take a left and go a few more miles, you'll see a large parking lot where there used to be a K-Mart, you'll see a bum sleeping in a trash can, talk to the bum cause he totally knows where the liquor store is" We got these directions an hour after the store closes, so it didnt even matter at this point.

Now by alcohol I mean hard liquor, such as vodka, rum, tequila, etc. The only things for sale in the town were beer and wine, and I cant get drunk on beer unless I hook up a tap to my veins and drinking wine just wouldnt be right for such an event.

I pretty much never drink (maybe 2 times a year), but when one of those days I'm planning on getting drunk gets ruined, I get a little upset. I guess now I know to always bring my own liquor.

I was able to buy booze just fine. I'm sorry you failed at life

Grath on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    Grath wrote:

I was able to buy booze just fine. I'm sorry you failed at life

omg I can't like think ahead for five minutes and buy alcohol before they stop selling it

futility on
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    futility wrote:
    omg I can't like think ahead for five minutes and buy alcohol before they stop selling it
    I've never before been to a town where they stop selling alcohol at 9, and when you dont find this out until 10, thinking ahead 5 minutes doesnt help much. All I'm asking is that next year, warn us if its being held in a Mormon run town.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Guess what?

It was in Bellvue this year, and it'll be in Bellvue next year.

And the year after that? Well, maybe a larger venue, but guess what? Still in the Seattle area.

Lincoln on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    so be cool and plan ahead!

unless you're under age. then remember kids that underage drinking is illegal and uncool... i guess. unless you live like in another country that isn't scared about their kids drinking because they love their children and teach them how to drink reponsibly. unlike the kids on the other side of the ocean who go ouyt and binge drink because they're trying to be cool. so you come to PAX from one of those cool countries and are like FUCK I WAS DRUNK WHEN I CROSSED THE BORDER WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I DRINK NOW! true story. thought not mine.

futility on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2004
    "ohnoes i cudnt get da booz and i am sad panda!"

Whoop de fucking shit. If you like to drink, that's your business. But if your life revolves around alcohol so much that you throw a big temper tantrum because you can't get drunk, then you need to take a step back and look at your life.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    futility wrote:
    I've never before been to a town where they stop selling alcohol at 9, and when you dont find this out until 10, thinking ahead 5 minutes doesnt help much. All I'm asking is that next year, warn us if its being held in a Mormon run town.
    Washington state liquor law. No liquor sales after 8 or 9pm (unless its a bar) and liquor can only be sold in a... liquor store. Cant sell it in grocery stores.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    If we had allowed people to buy liquor at any time here in Washington, we'd be getting ten times the DUI's and Drunk-Driving-Deaths (DDD) than New York or California, combined.

Kato_Arabel on
  • Options
    AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Next time, if you really need liquor, you can just come up to Canada. It's a 2-hour drive from Bellevue. Tell the guard that you're here to smoke some salmon or something.

Affliction on
  • Options
    AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Ack! Double-post.

Affliction on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    If we had allowed people to buy liquor at any time here in Washington, we'd be getting ten times the DUI's and Drunk-Driving-Deaths (DDD) than New York or California, combined.

Why is that? Lots of places have less restrictive liquor laws without all the DUIs and deaths....

are Washingtonians just 'special' that way?

Ninto on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2004

Why is that? Lots of places have less restrictive liquor laws without all the DUIs and deaths....

are Washingtonians just 'special' that way?

Ninto on