As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Shouldn't we talk about the weather?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hooray, CRTC: CRTC declares Broadband Internet Access an basic/essential/vital service.

Mostly going to apply to rural/isolated areas, but fuck, anything that forces our Telecoms to invest in their damn infrastructure. Michael Geist goes into more information on his twitter feed, and highlights that it could have went further in fixing affordability issues and dealing with data caps, but he seems to be both happy and sad on the ruling.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    It's a great start, and is especially good for those of us who have access to "little guy" telecoms like Teksavvy (bless 'em). But the market itself isn't going to solve the affordability problem. We're going to have to keep hammering at the CRTC to make the big telecoms lower prices and raise data caps.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I got an email two days ago saying that because of some crtc decision, I was going to get the same service from teksavvy for 10$ less per month, (15gb down/unlimited bandwidth, everything I need), which is awesome.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I got an email two days ago saying that because of some crtc decision, I was going to get the same service from teksavvy for 10$ less per month, (15gb down/unlimited bandwidth, everything I need), which is awesome.

There was a CBC article on it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-teksavvy-1.3906730

Basically, the incumbents had been charging far more than the 10% markup they were supposed to be charging 3rd party providers like Teksavvy. The CRTC ruling is interim until a more permanent measure can be put in place, hence Teksavvy urging its customers to contact the CRTC and tell them what they want.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That TekSavvy immediately passed on the money to their customers is why I'm a big fan and customer :+1:

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Most Canadian headline in a while?
    3zYmwnr.png

edit:Spoilered for large

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Speaking of Peak Canada, this was our entertainment from our window the other day.

5n74s4veu2nk.jpg

Snowplow trying to navigate a particularly twisty Timmy Ho's drive through. It wasn't easy, but s/he was gettin' some Tims and was NOT getting outta that plow.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Speaking of Peak Canada, this was our entertainment from our window the other day.

5n74s4veu2nk.jpg

Snowplow trying to navigate a particularly twisty Timmy Ho's drive through. It wasn't easy, but s/he was gettin' some Tims and was NOT getting outta that plow.

I'll raise you:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I may have only visited it once or twice, but Honest Ed's is closing down as of tonight :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Richy wrote: »
    Is there a single province with good provincial government right now?

BC and Ontario's lines of constant fuckups are well-known. Alberta's NDP are, granted, in a very bad position through no fault of their own, but they're not exactly digging themselves out of it. Saskatchewan has a climate-change-denier in power. Québec has an austerity-slut. NS decided to shut down schools in response to the teacher union deciding not to go on strike. PEI is just now getting on-board with the whole "abortions are legal" thing.

Is good governance just a thing of the past now?

I'm quite biased (working with Sue Powell on her campaign on the island), but I do Iike most of what John Horgan has in his current platform.

- No on Kinder Morgan. Just nope, sorry.
    - No on Site C (with a caveat: if people feel it is a waste to cancel the project with the money already invested in it, it may end-up proceeding - but not without the express blessing of the First Nations communities it would impact)
    - $15/hr minimum wage (phased-in over 4~ years or so)
    - Much more robust framework for combatting foreign speculation on housing (said framework built in concert with local Chambers of Commerce)

It does also include some protectionist and union-centric things (restrictions on raw log exports, mostly) that I am not a fan of, but at the end of the day the organized labor keep the lights on, so I'm willing to compromise on that stuff so long as they don't start stabbing us in the back like the auto union & energy guys just did in the U.S.

Dunno how well we'll do against the Clark government, though. She is super hated, but... we're the NDP. :|

Also my riding is a complete write-off (running against Michelle Stilwell - a Paralympic gold medalist who just came back with gold, because she is legit awesome, and Parksville literally named a day of the year after her. So our campaign's pretty screwed! :P It's also a bit hilarious though because provincial office also knows we're fucked and... so we're kind of just on our own, doing our own thing without either funding or oversight).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    No oversight? What could go wrong? :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Is there a single province with good provincial government right now?

BC and Ontario's lines of constant fuckups are well-known. Alberta's NDP are, granted, in a very bad position through no fault of their own, but they're not exactly digging themselves out of it. Saskatchewan has a climate-change-denier in power. Québec has an austerity-slut. NS decided to shut down schools in response to the teacher union deciding not to go on strike. PEI is just now getting on-board with the whole "abortions are legal" thing.

Is good governance just a thing of the past now?

I'm quite biased (working with Sue Powell on her campaign on the island), but I do Iike most of what John Horgan has in his current platform.

- No on Kinder Morgan. Just nope, sorry.
    - No on Site C (with a caveat: if people feel it is a waste to cancel the project with the money already invested in it, it may end-up proceeding - but not without the express blessing of the First Nations communities it would impact)
    - $15/hr minimum wage (phased-in over 4~ years or so)
    - Much more robust framework for combatting foreign speculation on housing (said framework built in concert with local Chambers of Commerce)

It does also include some protectionist and union-centric things (restrictions on raw log exports, mostly) that I am not a fan of, but at the end of the day the organized labor keep the lights on, so I'm willing to compromise on that stuff so long as they don't start stabbing us in the back like the auto union & energy guys just did in the U.S.

Dunno how well we'll do against the Clark government, though. She is super hated, but... we're the NDP. :|

Also my riding is a complete write-off (running against Michelle Stilwell - a Paralympic gold medalist who just came back with gold, because she is legit awesome, and Parksville literally named a day of the year after her. So our campaign's pretty screwed! :P It's also a bit hilarious though because provincial office also knows we're fucked and... so we're kind of just on our own, doing our own thing without either funding or oversight).

Think he meant actually in power.

The opposition always has great plans until they actually get elected ;)

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Carbon tax now in effect in Alberta

Sky has STILL not fallen.

More news @ 11

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Carbon tax is in effect in Ontario. So far all that seems to have happened is higher numbers at the pumps, and a lot of complaining.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    a lot of complaining here in Alberta as well, but the sky is still there.

However, it is hard to judge the program, good or bad, after 6 days. Anyone who is reasonable will say that. Just, as per usual, people are being unreasonable.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What's funny is that everyone is blaming the government despite the tax only raising the price a couple of cents while the gas stations in my area jacked the price another ten cents, with not a peep coming from the public.

• Options
    what happened near me is that gas prices went from 95 cents to 110 cents on Dec 29, and then yesterday went down to 105 cents.

Really the big increase just before New Years is what happens all the time, gas goes up before any kind of holiday.

Gas *is* more now than it was on say, Christmas Day, but again, There is no real way to judge the impact of the Carbon tax until there is, you know, actual data to judge. My own personal opinion is that in will have a bigger negative impact than the government is trying to sell. But that's just my own opinion, and I want to see data before I go grab a pitch fork.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Personally, I feel for the Wynne government. Trying to be on the cutting edge of preventing climate change, and it's expensive.

• Options
    from afar, the problem with the Wynne government was the tone-deafness of their attitude. People's bills in rural areas were going up by 200% and up, and they just seemed to stick their fingers in their ears and go "NO IT'S ALL OK THE ENERGY IS CLEAN"

Yes, a lot of the infrastructure in Ontario needed upgrading regardless, yes, a more expensive investment in cleaner energy is good in the long run, but completely ignoring the significant issues there were was their issue.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    what happened near me is that gas prices went from 95 cents to 110 cents on Dec 29, and then yesterday went down to 105 cents.

Really the big increase just before New Years is what happens all the time, gas goes up before any kind of holiday.

Gas *is* more now than it was on say, Christmas Day, but again, There is no real way to judge the impact of the Carbon tax until there is, you know, actual data to judge. My own personal opinion is that in will have a bigger negative impact than the government is trying to sell. But that's just my own opinion, and I want to see data before I go grab a pitch fork.

This. I work in automotive repair, so literally everyone with a car comes in and wants to bitch about how TERRIBLE this carbon tax is going to be. No mention about their cheque in the mail though, just how that extra 5% (without considering how we DON'T have a provincial sales tax) on their fuel costs are going to absolutely bury them.

Nobody likes a moderate though, so rather than being able to press them in my place of business, I just have to say, "Uh huh, it's a hell of a thing, isn't it? Have you gotten your cheque yet?"

I truly hope this is SO MUCH better than everyone is fearing.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Gas prices still haven't even come close to the 1.35 high nearly ten years ago from Hurricane Katrina.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

This. I work in automotive repair, so literally everyone with a car comes in and wants to bitch about how TERRIBLE this carbon tax is going to be. No mention about their cheque in the mail though, just how that extra 5% (without considering how we DON'T have a provincial sales tax) on their fuel costs are going to absolutely bury them.

Nobody likes a moderate though, so rather than being able to press them in my place of business, I just have to say, "Uh huh, it's a hell of a thing, isn't it? Have you gotten your cheque yet?"

It'll be better than the doomsayers think, but it will have an impact. However, that's sort of the point. As Paula Simons wrote in an editorial, we -should- hate having to pay the carbon tax, and that should motivate us to seek out more energy-efficient options. That's why it's there.

Like you say, we still don't have a PST, or an HST. And no one seems to get nearly this aggrieved when they raise the price at the pumps by 20 c/litre because it's a long weekend.

I don't qualify for a rebate cheque of any sort, because my household makes too much, but I think it's a good thing, and if they can demonstrate where that money is going, especially now that they've said it'll be earmarked for green projects and similar, it'll become like Bill 6 - some people still griping about it, but overall seen as a positive thing.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    the one thing about the Alberta rebates that confuses me though is that the government says that 2/3 of people will get at least a partial rebate, but the thresholds for getting the rebates seem... low.

if you are a single person earning more than 47.5k you get nothing, if you are in a dual income home earning more than 95k total, you get nothing.

So is the government really trying to say that in Alberta 2/3 of all people make less than those numbers? I find that hard to believe. I can understand the dual income threshold being far more likely, but still, seems low for 2/3 of all people.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    People complain about the weirdest things. Ontarians won't shut up about how high their hydro bills are, blah blah blah Ontario's selling electricity at a loss (it isn't really, except for using a very narrow, unrealistic perspective on electricity markets), green energy's unaffordable!

And yet every Ontarian I've checked with - admittedly all Torontonians - have WATER costs being the majority of their hydro bills, not power. And I'm just like :question: :question: :question: (Admittedly, I don't think that water and electricity costs are always packed together on bills in Ontario. They are here in my Toronto suburb.)

---

On another note, Chrystia Freeland said some interesting stuff about free trade opportunities in a protectionist age: (https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/01/05/opportunity-for-canada-amid-rising-protectionism-abroad-freeland-says.html)
    But Freeland told the gathering there are also positives, including the Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), which is expected to be ratified this year.

“At a time when so many other countries are closing their doors, are saying they are not interested in foreign investment, are saying they are not interested in trade, you can come to Canada and be assured that we understand and believe in being open to the global economy,” she told reporters later.

“And yes, I do think that represents very significant and distinctive opportunities for our country in 2017.”

(https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/01/06/-paul-wells.html)
    “Isn’t it impressive that in 2016, the year of Brexit and Donald Trump’s election, Canada was sealing the largest trade agreement in our history?” But Freeland was not here only to run victory laps. “Opportunities offer themselves to us. But they won’t fall from the sky.”

An interesting sign on the economic principles and direction the government intends to follow.

hippofant on
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »

It'll be better than the doomsayers think, but it will have an impact. However, that's sort of the point. As Paula Simons wrote in an editorial, we -should- hate having to pay the carbon tax, and that should motivate us to seek out more energy-efficient options. That's why it's there.

Like you say, we still don't have a PST, or an HST. And no one seems to get nearly this aggrieved when they raise the price at the pumps by 20 c/litre because it's a long weekend.

I don't qualify for a rebate cheque of any sort, because my household makes too much, but I think it's a good thing, and if they can demonstrate where that money is going, especially now that they've said it'll be earmarked for green projects and similar, it'll become like Bill 6 - some people still griping about it, but overall seen as a positive thing.

For the record, people absolutely get aggravated when gas spikes for every long weekend. That is a thing that happens. People complain about it all the time.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If 5% extra on your fuel is gonna bury you, you done fucked up somewhere.

I don't know man, an extra 10 cents on the price of gas is like a few bucks per fillup for me.

• Options
    I'm sure any and all gas price increases happening right now are totally about the carbon tax and not the fact that international oil futures are up and OPEC has finally decided to start limiting supply again.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

For the record, people absolutely get aggravated when gas spikes for every long weekend. That is a thing that happens. People complain about it all the time.

Yep, they bitch, but that's par for the course. Don't even notice it any more because that's how common it is.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I'm sure any and all gas price increases happening right now are totally about the carbon tax and not the fact that international oil futures are up and OPEC has finally decided to start limiting supply again.

The price of gas has very little to do with the price of a barrel of oil these days and more about refining capability.

The Carbon tax is charged at the pumps.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I live in a tourist town so I didn't even notice , our gas is always stupid. Drops to normal in winter, but come summer it'll be 30-50c higher per to milk tourists ( but mostly locals because they let our tourism go to Shit the last decade but still hike up the price)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

The price of gas has very little to do with the price of a barrel of oil these days and more about refining capability.

The Carbon tax is charged at the pumps.

I didn't say price of oil. I said oil futures. The imaginary gamble that makes everybody involved in selling oil and gas products merrily spike their prices upwards. It's also been spiking in BC, where we've had the carbon tax for a while. The carbon tax being implemented has nothing to do with the price of gas going any higher than the exact amount per gallon charged by the tax itself.

• Options
    So, one of the Conservative Leadership Canidates wants to not only make refugees and immigrants take a 'Canadian Values' test at the border, she wants them to pay for it.

Canadian Values such as.... oh... I don't know, ACCEPTING PEOPLE FROM ALL TYPES OF CULTURES

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    And from what I heard on the CBC, both the leadership candidates and the news agencies are starting to consider Kevin O'Leary as a serious contender and frontrunner.

So, leadership race with over a dozen cartoonishly bad and mostly forgettable candidates? Check.
    Reality TV star posing a businessman with aggressively offensive positions and zero political experience? Check.

I guess we'll have to get ready for a flood of cheap-ass "Make Canada Great Again" hats :cry:

sig.gif
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

This anecdote was from the US, but it applies. I once heard someone who was complaining about cigarette taxes rising dramatically in the next year and how much more expensive they would make his habit. His response: "I'll show them; I'll quit smoking!"

• Options
    And from what I heard on the CBC, both the leadership candidates and the news agencies are starting to consider Kevin O'Leary as a serious contender and frontrunner.

So, leadership race with over a dozen cartoonishly bad and mostly forgettable candidates? Check.
    Reality TV star posing a businessman with aggressively offensive positions and zero political experience? Check.

I guess we'll have to get ready for a flood of cheap-ass "Make Canada Great Again" hats :cry:

Ooh ooh somebody convince Rick Mercer to run for the NDP and we could have the most ridiculous election ever in three years.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    You know, just daydreaming, but if I were in Justin Trudeau's shoes right now, I'd be finding the thinnest, blondest, biggest-breasted prostitutes in Canada, scrubbing their records clean, and appointing them as diplomatic envoys to the White House with the mission of praising and sexing up Trump in exchange for trade concessions. The ladies can sweet-talk him into giving us lumber, free trade, fisheries... hell if we play our cards right, we could annex Vermont.

sig.gif
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    ewwwww....Vermont?

Alaska or bust....maybe California since they want out anyway

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Invectivus wrote: »
    ewwwww....Vermont?

Alaska or bust....maybe California since they want out anyway

We don't want California, they'd drain us dry of water in half a century. I say this as a native Californian.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Has O'Leary actually started running? Last I heard he was waffling on whether to do so.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    California has a larger population than Canada, does it not?

Talk about a demographics shift!

This discussion has been closed.