As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Shouldn't we talk about the weather?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Somehow I missed that Mansbridge is retiring in like 2 weeks!

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/cbcs-peter-mansbridge-sets-retirement-date-for-july-2017/

gonna miss that voice.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

3 of the top 5 longest distance kills are by Canadians.... We are small but wow our forces are well trained.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

3 of the top 5 longest distance kills are by Canadians.... We are small but wow our forces are well trained.

saw that one, crazy shot and a reminder if you are in a warzone to not stand still unless you are in hard cover.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Yeah we're basically mighty mouse in some way with our forces.

Also, 3.5 Fucking kilometers!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

I was drawing it out on streets near my house. And I'm talking to my wife like "So, this is basically like him standing on our roof and shooting someone in the parking lot of the Food Basics on the other side of town.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I was drawing it out on streets near my house. And I'm talking to my wife like "So, this is basically like him standing on our roof and shooting someone in the parking lot of the Food Basics on the other side of town.

It's a kilometre more than my commute to work!
    Anyway, good job girl/guy on the shot.

• Options

I've shot a bit and I'm pretty sure I could not hit a literal barn at that distance even with the same equipment.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

I've shot a bit and I'm pretty sure I could not hit a literal barn at that distance even with the same equipment.

Also have shooting experience, and there isn't a doubt in my mind I couldn't hit a barn at that distance. Too many variables to account for, FAR too little skill, AND a ridiculous amount of luck involved.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Yeah, that's a long ass way.

The furthest shot I've ever made was 700 meters with my friend's .308. I've got a half built 7mm mag that I want to try at a mile once I'm done customizing it (Krieger barrel, Nightforce or Leupold Scope. Need to source a custom stock, thinking Robertson Composites). But two miles?

I would never even think to attempt it. My typical shooting distance is 300 meters with my .204. :)

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yeah, that's a long ass way.

The furthest shot I've ever made was 700 meters with my friend's .308. I've got a half built 7mm mag that I want to try at a mile once I'm done customizing it (Krieger barrel, Nightforce or Leupold Scope. Need to source a custom stock, thinking Robertson Composites). But two miles?

I would never even think to attempt it. My typical shooting distance is 300 meters with my .204. :)

My experience is mostly shooting with family friends that are gun collectors and have a special license.

Think the maximum I ever consistently hit is around 450m with a .308.

3500m on a target that can move is insanity.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    Our special forces are pretty incredible, and basically what you'd want them to be: well equipped, expertly trained, absolutely capable and discrete.

Awesome, in the truest sense of the word.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I think it's prey gross to glorify and celebrate the death of another human in this way. Can we please be better than this? I'm pretty sure that most soldiers who have seen active duty, including these people, would repudiate this kind of talk.

This is what I hate about gun cultrue.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I think it's prey gross to glorify and celebrate the death of another human in this way. Can we please be better than this? I'm pretty sure that most soldiers who have seen active duty, including these people, would repudiate this kind of talk.

This is what I hate about gun cultrue.

This is neither of those things.

No one is celebrating death. And it's not gun culture to find something that seems so impossible amazing and worthy of respect.

Unless you think veterans should be ashamed of their service, that is.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Eh, service is way more than having snatched the life out of another human, there is no shame if a veteran's service is logistical and what not either. Its all necessary to a properly functioning mission.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No one even hinted at glorifying the death of the person on the other end of the shot. It's possible to appreciate the skill involved without being happy the person had to kill someone.

I would bet good money that if someone posted "Fuck yeah, shoot those Muslims!" we'd be all over them but that didn't happen or come close to happening so it's goosey to suggest people are doing it.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    No one even hinted at glorifying the death of the person on the other end of the shot. It's possible to appreciate the skill involved without being happy the person had to kill someone.

I would bet good money that if someone posted "Fuck yeah, shoot those Muslims!" we'd be all over them but that didn't happen or come close to happening so it's goosey to suggest people are doing it.

Absolutely; my word choice may have been poor but I do mean 'Awesome' in the oldest sense of the word, something which inspires awe; see also terror, dread and/or wonder. Nothing but respect for our armed forces but the capabilities that they can achieve can be a bit chilling while still extraordinary.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't even wrap my head around the logistics of such a shot. I know the math and physics that go into hitting things at that distance. When you pull the trigger, you're basically aiming in a completely different direction. Not to mention the time it takes to map that out, and bullet flight time and the fact that the target has to essentially have been sitting still that entire time.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The main "augh" for me is the fact that, over those kinds of distances, you need to start doing things like taking the planet's rotation into account. He's not aiming at his target, he's aiming at where the part of the world the target's at will be sometime later.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sorry carrots, Canadians have proven the true food for eyesight is cheese and gravy

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Sorry carrots, Canadians have proven the true food for eyesight is cheese and gravy

The carrot eyesight thing was an intentional lie, anyway (it was promulgated in order to hide the existence of the British radar intercept net.)

Poutine is delicious, though.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

The carrot eyesight thing was an intentional lie, anyway (it was promulgated in order to hide the existence of the British radar intercept net.)

Poutine is delicious, though.

Yeah, my step-grandfather was RCAF (I think) and by the end of the war he vowed to never eat another carrot again.

Edit: to hear him say it, they basically stuffed everyone with carrots at every meal.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    A lie?

I think NOT

Have you ever seen a rabbit with glasses?

Case closed.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    A lie?

I think NOT

Have you ever seen a rabbit with glasses?

Case closed.

I can tell from 3,540 meters that this argument is bullet proof.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Mulcair not missing any opportunity to go after Trudeau.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/sniper-iraq-combat-mission-mulcair-1.4175799

• Options
    It's technically history on the one hand, but on the other hand we've got a lot of the ongoing absurdities whenever immigration is discussed in Canada. Here's a letter (two pages of a huge file; navigate with the arrow to the second page) from Frederick Charles Blair, Canada's immigration director, in 1938, responding to "concerns" within the department that Jews were entering the country. It was written a little over a month before Kristallnacht.

Swap out some demonyms and ruden up the language a bit and large chunks of that could've been written by people in the government five years ago, or the opposition today.

Plus ca change, or something. Gah.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    It's technically history on the one hand, but on the other hand we've got a lot of the ongoing absurdities whenever immigration is discussed in Canada. Here's a letter (two pages of a huge file; navigate with the arrow to the second page) from Frederick Charles Blair, Canada's immigration director, in 1938, responding to "concerns" within the department that Jews were entering the country. It was written a little over a month before Kristallnacht.

Swap out some demonyms and ruden up the language a bit and large chunks of that could've been written by people in the government five years ago, or the opposition today.

Plus ca change, or something. Gah.

What amazes me the most, what absolutely floors me, isn't the notion that we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

It's that so many people don't think it's a mistake.

I always thought that the people that turned away the Jews during the holocaust, and who have fought to turn people away in the genocides before and since, did it out of fear, out of ignorance of the costs of what they were doing. That is not the case, I was naive. The people who want to turn away the refugees do it with the full knowledge they are sending people to their deaths. They do it with hearts coated in black, willfully contributing to genocides and ethnic cleansing. They do it because that is what they want.

But they want the rest of us to think they're just afraid.

• Options
    Pretty much, yeah.

Any death-to-the-refugees talk I've seen (which is in practice most anti-refugee talk) tends to fall into one of two categories: claims based on outright lies (like the idea that there isn't any screening, that resettled refugees are predominantly single men, that the "flood" exceeds the country's ability to integrate them, or that they don't integrate at all), or people on the openly malicious end of the spectrum who just straight-up want the military to start sinking boats in the Med. Press someone around that general stance long enough and they almost invariably fall into one of those two camps.

When we have things like Leitch demanding refugee entry be cancelled altogether because one of the forty thousand Syrians got a domestic violence charge, that's not people being afraid; that's people seeing an edge case as an opportunity to demand reprisals against an entire population. While history doesn't necessarily repeat it sure does rhyme a hell of a lot.

"Fun" facts regarding Jewish immigration in particular: Canada didn't lift restrictions on it until the 1950s, and soldiers stationed in Europe often fought tooth and nail with their commanding officers over the military's prohibition on soldiers marrying Jewish women - again, after the war. Again: gah.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Mulcair not missing any opportunity to go after Trudeau.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/sniper-iraq-combat-mission-mulcair-1.4175799

He knows he won't get a real answer, especially because it was a JTF2 thing, so I'm not sure why he bothered to ask. I can't imagine he thinks it's going to score points with the general public.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah.

Any death-to-the-refugees talk I've seen (which is in practice most anti-refugee talk) tends to fall into one of two categories: claims based on outright lies (like the idea that there isn't any screening, that resettled refugees are predominantly single men, that the "flood" exceeds the country's ability to integrate them, or that they don't integrate at all), or people on the openly malicious end of the spectrum who just straight-up want the military to start sinking boats in the Med. Press someone around that general stance long enough and they almost invariably fall into one of those two camps.

When we have things like Leitch demanding refugee entry be cancelled altogether because one of the forty thousand Syrians got a domestic violence charge, that's not people being afraid; that's people seeing an edge case as an opportunity to demand reprisals against an entire population. While history doesn't necessarily repeat it sure does rhyme a hell of a lot.

"Fun" facts regarding Jewish immigration in particular: Canada didn't lift restrictions on it until the 1950s, and soldiers stationed in Europe often fought tooth and nail with their commanding officers over the military's prohibition on soldiers marrying Jewish women - again, after the war. Again: gah.

By my math, we'd need >102 cases of Syrian refugee intimate partner domestic violence for the rate of domestic violence within that subpopulation to be higher than the Canadian average.

(91 843 cases of intimate partner domestic violence reported to police in 2015. 36M Canadians. 0.26% rate of incidence.)

• Options
    Yep. Compared to a typical community of 40,000, I'll take my chances.

• Options
    Pretty much, yeah.

Just look at the healthcare debate raging down south. People are talking about legislation that will literally kill people and most on the right are 100% ok with that.

People are weird AF. When people demonize Muslims it's usually people that have had very little interaction with them and just spend too much time on Twitter. Break some bread with these folks, have a night around a fire and truly get to know them first and this goes away... usually.

Speaking of...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-anti-islam-rally-1.4177583

• Options
    Glad there was no violence. Still shameful that there is enough idiots to hold a rally.

Re: people getting to know Muslims, I worked with a guy for about 5 years and only found out he was Muslim because he got Pissed at the subway guy for using the same knife on my sandwich loaded with bacon and them his.
    He did tell the guy he didn't want anything that's touched bacon and I just thought it was a weird preference :)

Anyway, you should not have to get to know someone or be involved in some group to not be a dickhead to them.

• Options
    Glad there was no violence. Still shameful that there is enough idiots to hold a rally.

Re: people getting to know Muslims, I worked with a guy for about 5 years and only found out he was Muslim because he got Pissed at the subway guy for using the same knife on my sandwich loaded with bacon and them his.
    He did tell the guy he didn't want anything that's touched bacon and I just thought it was a weird preference :)

Anyway, you should not have to get to know someone or be involved in some group to not be a dickhead to them.

Not at all but it does humanize people. We went to a sundown pancake breakfast at a mosque during Ramadan last year and overheard a bunch of very white, very... sheltered people commenting about how nice and "just like us" the folks running it were.

If all you see in the news is crazy Islamic fanatics it helps to realize that 99.9% of them are literally just normal folk trying to get by.

I work with a devout Muslim and the only thing we have ever had to "change" around is that he prays 5 times a day and usually would go into some space to be alone but like clockwork someone would always walk in with clients.
    Now we have a dedicated large supply closet that he uses that he can have his peace in. And he also gets to make coming out of the closet jokes on a nearly daily basis...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    LCBO strike looks to have been averted. My sister was talking to me last night trying to figure out if she needed to go into work tomorrow since there were unclear instructions, but it was all resolved in a tentative agreement shortly after midnight.

Curious to see what the actual deal is once it's been voted on by the union. The LCBO has a really big problem surrounding its treatment of part-time/full-time workers and I doubt this contract solved it. One article noted that the union confirmed one of the concerns was the upcoming election and how the current government wanted to avoid labour troubles, which I guess you can maybe read into the union having a bit of leverage?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Pretty much, yeah.

Just look at the healthcare debate raging down south. People are talking about legislation that will literally kill people and most on the right are 100% ok with that.

People are weird AF. When people demonize Muslims it's usually people that have had very little interaction with them and just spend too much time on Twitter. Break some bread with these folks, have a night around a fire and truly get to know them first and this goes away... usually.

Speaking of...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-anti-islam-rally-1.4177583

On the same line:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/white-doctor-video-mississauga-1.4168199

This racist woman makes my blood boil in rage.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Good on those witnesses standing up:
    One female witness in the video, tells the woman that, "Your child clearly has more issues with you being his mother than him needing to see a doctor. You are extremely rude and racist."

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Fuck that lady.
    I don't care what my doctor's nationality, race, sex, etc... is because they are there to help me in a stressful situation. What if the only person who could save your kids life wasn't white?

Happy to see other folks were disgusted with that behaviour.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Not at all but it does humanize people. We went to a sundown pancake breakfast at a mosque during Ramadan last year and overheard a bunch of very white, very... sheltered people commenting about how nice and "just like us" the folks running it were.

If all you see in the news is crazy Islamic fanatics it helps to realize that 99.9% of them are literally just normal folk trying to get by.

You know what, no, it doesn't actually help to know that the crazy racists that want me to get out of their country/disappear/die are just normal folk trying to get by. I'm normal folk trying to get by. That's why I don't have fucking time to break bread with every racist I see.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

You know what, no, it doesn't actually help to know that the crazy racists that want me to get out of their country/disappear/die are just normal folk trying to get by. I'm normal folk trying to get by. That's why I don't have fucking time to break bread with every racist I see.

It's not a 100% sure proof solution but I do think it gets through to some people.

And the 99.9% I was speaking of was Muslims if that was not clear. I don't need to break bread with skinheads..

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I think you're misreading, Disco is suggesting that the racists take time out of their busy racist schedule to break bread. Not the other way around.

It was more of a wistful "what a wonderful world it would be if they'd only take the time".

This discussion has been closed.