As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »
    So, it's at a bit short notice because I thought we were going to be going in Feb, but Lucinda and I are going to Melbourne next week

We're staying from the 11th to the 17th, and we're at a place in Travancore(?), between the Zoo and Flemington which looks real nice and is way cheap

Woo! You'll be a couple of kms from us! What nights do you have free?

So far we've got no actual concrete plans, and we're still making lists of things we want to do

Cool. We're free most of the nights during that period. We could rope in @Awko and @SorC as well (plus any other Melbourne folks who want to do a group dinner).

Also Midsumma is happening if you're interested. I've never been before, but I'll be on duty there at work's stall.

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I have very little in the way of funds at the moment, but I'm happy to swing by and say howdy.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be my last full day in Australia and I don't really want to leave. I have integrated into your society. I've figured out metros and metric stuff and also shorten words expertly now.

What's your immigration process like? Do I have to knife fight a spider or something?

For real though I love this place, particularly Melbourne. I'd really like to come back and spend maybe a week there instead of the two days I got.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you are less than 31 you could get a working holiday visa very easily.

• Options
    Last I checked the process includes a component where you have to make a pavlova in the shape of Bradman's batting average.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    It's supposed to be my last full day in Australia and I don't really want to leave. I have integrated into your society. I've figured out metros and metric stuff and also shorten words expertly now.

What's your immigration process like? Do I have to knife fight a spider or something?

For real though I love this place, particularly Melbourne. I'd really like to come back and spend maybe a week there instead of the two days I got.

Bring our PM twenty dropbear skins and you're a shoe-in

• Options
    Gatsby wrote: »

Alternatively: dropbear leather shoes.

• Options
    Gatsby wrote: »

The contract is sealed.

So be it.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    If you are less than 31 you could get a working holiday visa very easily.

There is a link a few pages back.
    You can get 1 year which extends if you do some rural work (I think 6 weeks but don't know).
    Most people do farm stuff.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Move to New Zealand!

@Mortious help me out here!

When do you get over the ditch, @Juggernut?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Move to New Zealand!

Mortious help me out here!

When do you get over the ditch, Juggernut?

Are we talking about how much better NZ is than AUS?

Spoiler: So much better.

For example, we don't have a sigh-seeing feature called the 12 Apostles, were some of those 12 are apparently "under water". That right there is a cop-out.

Also nothing here can kill you.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Now look, I've met some pretty aggressive sheep in my time ...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Now look, I've met some pretty aggressive sheep in my time ...

There's even a movie about it!

Blacksheep-poster.jpg

(it's not very good)

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    New Zealand is full of towns that smell like butts.

• Options
    Move to New Zealand!

@Mortious help me out here!

When do you get over the ditch, @Juggernut?

I leave tonight!

• Options
    Hi New Zealand is incredible that's all bye

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hi New Zealand is incredible that's all bye

Told you so!

Also

*waves*

Hi, Buddy!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Juggs please pick me up some Lewis Road Creamery chocolate milk while you're there, cheers

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Juggs please pick me up some Lewis Road Creamery chocolate milk while you're there, cheers

Omg.

So there's this flavoured milk war going on right now between Lewis Road and Puhoi Valley.

Lewis Road right now has a summer strawberry milk that is amazing. And I don't like strawberry milk. This is a follow up that they did for their double caramel milk a few months back. So the chocolate was/is a collaborations with Whittaker's chocolate. The caramel was done with Chelsea Winter (masterchef NZ winner). And the strawberry is with OOB Ice cream.

Meanwhile, Puhoi Valley had their own Belgian chocolate milk, and a white chocolate and caramel milk. Then they just released two others recently with an espresso milk and a spiced white chocolate. Which is honestly the best thing I've ever drunk.

It's like egg nog. But not as thick. By far the best of the milk wars so far.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    A flavoured milk war is the most Kiwi thing I've heard in a long while.

The same kind of shit that would happen in South Australia.

• Options
    Then they just released two others recently with an espresso milk and a spiced white chocolate. Which is honestly the best thing I've ever drunk.

It's like egg nog. But not as thick. By far the best of the milk wars so far.

*violently opens skyscanner webpage*

• Options
    I'm gonna find this stuff.

And I'm gonna drink it.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    It's real good Juggs. Reeeeeeeeal good

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I found the Puhoi in a Night n' Day.

This is a game changer.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    34 on the south coast my arse

I've been deceived by the weather gods and am unhappy. This is 29 at best.

• Options
    Nic let's swap

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So we've touched down in Melbourne!

• Options
    We're also open to any recommendations for nice things to do

• Options
    Guys i threw up all over inner Sydney

Youre welcome

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Just priming the city on my behalf I assume.

Hey guys, I'll be in Sydney the 20th through the 26th.

I'll be working during the day, but like, what's cool at night and on the weekend?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular

What kind of nice things were you wanting to do?

If you want to see some art you could go to the Ian Potter Centre or ACMI, they both usually have some good free exhibitions going.

Having lunch in the botanical gardens would be pretty good too atm considering the current weather.

• Options

I'll be working during the day, but like, what's cool at night and on the weekend?

quick someone post that Sydney transport video with the karaoke

• Options

What kind of nice things were you wanting to do?

If you want to see some art you could go to the Ian Potter Centre or ACMI, they both usually have some good free exhibitions going.

Having lunch in the botanical gardens would be pretty good too atm considering the current weather.

Lovely

We've got some museums and shopping in mind (as well as finding about 4 places to go for food already) but having some nice free or cheap activities to do would be great

Being outdoors will also be real nice

• Options
    I just left Hobbiton and I can die now.

Perfect way to end my trip.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I've lived in Sydney all my life and I'm still asking this question. Most of my favourite spots have closed down. Depends what you want to do, there's plenty of nice places to have a meal, but things get thinner on the ground if you want to stay out later. I haven't been in a while but Newtown I've heard Is the nightspot now

I'm a big metal fan and all the Sydney metal clubs have closed. Makes me want to move to Melbourne, they still have lots of great places open with live bands

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Youre welcome

I have been very drunk in the inner city throughout my 20s but I've never once barfed. Not out of respect for it's fine streets, it's just never happened. Plenty of my friends have decked the halls tho

Prohass on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I like... museums, rad bars, delicious food, exercise/hiking, modern art, and... uhh... nature? Architecture?

Isn't Sydney at least as big as Singapore?

...oh, hm, I guess not.

Still! I bet there's fun things.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The Art Gallery of New South Wales is a must then, botanical gardens are great, the zoo if you're willing to get a ferry and spend some cash is lovely. The Museum of Contemporary Art in Circular Quay normally has something great on too, some great but pricey dining in the Rocks too

I'm not big into exercise but there's some beach walks you can do that are nice too, I've heard the Bondi to Coogee is nice.

I have some bartender friends so I've asked them for any recommendations on good pubs and hangouts since I'm hopeless at that kind of recommendation myself

Prohass on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular

Youre welcome

Thank you for taking my shift.

• Options
    I like... museums, rad bars, delicious food, exercise/hiking, modern art, and... uhh... nature? Architecture?

Isn't Sydney at least as big as Singapore?

...oh, hm, I guess not.

Still! I bet there's fun things.

I'm out at the moment but I've got a few good recommendations.

Unfortunately the best bar in Sydney and an almost perfect guarantor of a good time closed down a bit ago.

But there are some real lovely places, Sydney has a pretty good small bar scene, considering the circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.