As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I’ll be heading in for PAX this year and it’d be great to meet some people, what is the usual plan to get together if there is space for one more?

My rule is that anyone is welcome to hang with me when we are doing stuff at the con or if we put out a call for food.

I dunno how much time I’m gonna spend on the expo floor this year, my jam is usually to hang out in the tabletop area, do some pin trading, and head over as a group of 4 or so to check out local multiplayer indie games.

Also, food. Good food. Imma have to put in a request to hit up White Mojo for brekkie again cuz that place was doooooope.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to head over a little early this year, maybe tuesday, cos my roomie (Suzi, you remember her, she's rad) is going to be there early too so why not. So if any locations need scouting/assessment that aren't already known to folx, let me know.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i spend an inordinate amount of time looking at models and kits and lasercut stuff

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh we are a thousand percent down for White Mojo again

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    so it looks like we're moving in a bit, to leichhardt

goodbye to big backyards with bougainvilleas, veggie patches, grass and a hills hoist

hello to string lights over a courtyard and walking-distance pubs and schools

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    That's not a bad spot, I used to live just to the north in Lilyfield. Check out the saturday markets at lilyfield school, there's lots of good stuff there.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    we were actually there on saturday, checking out a few other options! market was great and the best place had a big backyard, but the layout was strange and the toilet/shower were very unrenovated. my partner's going to be working in forest lodge, so the area's been in our sights since our current block got development approval. can't afford to wait until rex is midway through kindy to be kicked out.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Stomping Grounds again?

I'd stomp a ground.

Stomp a ground.

Stomp up, stomp up and get down.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’d love to go back to moondog too, but food options are limited and I get if it isn’t everyone’s jam.

edited August 2019
    i am now way more into craft beer so uuhhhhhh always up for breweries

gotta find the places in melbourne that are making that haze

Lalabox on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Leichardt has a lot of family ties for me so I'm weirdly nostalgic about it. Good food around there.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I like Stomping Grounds for sure but is there maybe a less noisy / more comfy option for the group dinner?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah Stomping Grounds was nice, certainly.

Sure did suck having to yell into people's faces to carry on a conversation though.

Folks have any ideas? I’d actually suggest the Sichuan place for the group dinner but that might not be everyone’s bag.

It's hard to find a spot for a large, somewhat noisy group that isn't in a large noisy place. I recall last year we explored the option of a private room in the Taphouse in St Kilda? Is that still a thing? I'm happy to put money down on something like that if needs be.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Was there an issue with the seating in the back area of Stomping Grounds? I can’t recall if there was, or if we were just too late to reserve anything there. I think it’s mainly the closeness to the speakers and bar that’s the problem.

Veldrin on
    edited August 2019
    Maybe we should first get a sense of how many folks we’ve got this year. I know right now that the following folks are coming to the dinner:

Pimento + 2
    Veldrin + 1
    Me
    Blake
    Cobalt60
    Chris + 1
    Kelor
    Lalabox
    Apocalyptus + 1
    Lost Salient
    Anzekay

Folks that will be around but I don’t know are doing dinner:
    @SorC + 1
    @Flay
    @Awko
    @Cokebotle + 1

I’ve probably forgotten a bunch of people... but anyway shall we get a show of hands for group dinner?

Vivixenne on
    Put me down as a +1, Suzi will likely come. Potentially +2 if it's OK..

edited August 2019
    It’s starting to look like any private dining areas (including Stomping Ground, Taphouse, and some restaurants) require either set menus or minimum spends... which makes things more complicated.

So we either go with something simple but noisy or complicated (or potentially exxy) and quiet.

If we go with complicated/exxy and quiet, I can help sort some of that out, but my way of doing these things nowadays is to be a menu dictator - you will be giving up your right to choose your food if it’s a set menu (I’d be fair and inclusive in my selections, of course, and y’all know I know my food) if you leave me in charge. Just a heads-up.

Vivixenne on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    You can mark me down as a yes.

Is it usually the Thursday night or does it vary a bit? I'm arriving and staying in the city Thursday and Friday night and leaving Saturday.

edited August 2019
    We usually go for Friday, though it depends largely on the schedule being released so that folks can go to panels etc.

The downside of waiting for the schedule to come out is that then our food options are more limited.

Last year when we waited for the schedule, there was legit only 1 table left at the Stomping Ground.

The reality this year is that we probably won’t capture everyone, what with all the different schedules and such. But that’s okay, there are always smaller group hangs and lunches and other dinners and stuff!

Vivixenne on
    I might suggest that the Fried Chicken crew head to that for dinner or lunch on Wed or Thurs? Just to free up more group dinner nights.

Alternatively, if that place is big enough, we could also do the group dinner there?

Put me down as a yes to a dinner. Not sure about a +1 since we've split up but we're still hanging out so i'll try to find out smth more concrete about whether she's coming or not.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I think I should be able to make it this year! Just need to get the timetable for one more unit I have this semester but I think it should be okay.

• SorCSorC Registered User regular
    If the dinner is on Friday, I'd say we're out. Otherwise Tan and I are in.

11776-1.png
    SorC wrote: »
    If the dinner is on Friday, I'd say we're out. Otherwise Tan and I are in.

Yeah I don’t think we’re gonna get everyone at once this time around (Blake is a no for Sunday night cuz he heads off back to Perth that day). We might go with the day that catches the most folks and then prioritize other hangouts with those we miss!

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I should be able to make dinner, possibly with a plus one.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Amy and I are definitely keen for hangouts, we are only getting one day passes for PAX itself this year. We mostly like to hang out and look around Melbourne.

Woohoo!

Though yeah if folks have any suggestions as to where to go for the big dinner, feel free to post them here. I’ve only got Google and Yelp to help me.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Just so everyone is clear.

I will be going here at some stage.

https://www.instagram.com/hwatumelbourne/

it’s good! i’ve both ordered delivery from there and eaten there a few times (it’s opposite my old work)

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm in for dinner. I have none plans other than my badges and being in Melbourne and I'm willing to do a prix fixe and don't really have a problem with budget. I can give opinions as wanted, though!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Every year, around this time, I find myself in awe of Viv and her organising skills.

You know, as an observer.

Awww that's nice of you to say!!!

To be fair though I've really been phoning it in the last couple years... in that I've stopped trying to please as many people as possible and instead just go with SOMETHING and trust that folks will understand and not be jerks about it.

It's seemed to work out so far!

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Aussie mocking Brits while eating fish and chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wFh850oy8E

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The most shocking thing about that video is that he has never had vinegar on his chips before.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Comedy for the day:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114713520/new-zealand-defence-force-switches-uniforms-following-review-and-complaints
    The New Zealand Defence Force has decided to ditch the camouflage uniform it spent $13.6 million to develop six years ago.
    The current multi-terrain camouflage uniform (MCU), introduced in 2013, will be replaced with the New Zealand multi-terrain pattern (NZ MTP) uniform.
    The change comes after a review and hundreds of complaints from personnel about the kit.
    The new (or old now I guess) uniforms have been a joke for years, it was a textbook case of "cheap is expensive".

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Unrelated to PAX unless people want it to be, but does anyone have recommendations for karaoke places in Melbourne?

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    we should 100% do karaoke at a pax sometime

ehhhhh.....

This discussion has been closed.