Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

1929394959698»

• FishmanFishman Long time gone, Constantinople Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    lmao I've been delving into gender marker changes on official documents in Australia and WA and god damn it's all wildly inconsistent.

Federal government actually has really progressive guidelines on it, including a bigass document with very good information and definitions.
    - You can get your gender market on your passport changed to M/F as well as X (indeterminate, undisclosed, intersex) and it only requires a letter from a psychologist or medical practitioner. Excellent!
    - Centrelink also only needs the letter, but if you want an X they won't actually change your gender to that, just 'make a note on your record'. Okay that's a bit weird.
    - Medicare is part of the same department as Centrelink, so it's the same there. Actually a bit shit because it's healtcare related

The Federal agencies should have X as a standard option, unless it's medically necessary.
    I thought there was legislation passed requiring sex be switched to X on request...

Yes, for some federal agencies you can get it switched to X on request (with a supporting document). The Department of Human Resources is a weird exception for some reason

state stuff just seems completely inconsistent

As someone who is literally part of a multi-million project to make it so that gender can be recorded as something other than M or F in the state sector, getting systems to work together on this is hugely more complicated than most people realise. We literally have more than 20 different software systems, all of varying technology, age, support, in-house, contracted, internal, external, reporting, just talking to just one of our core management systems. We have more than one core system. And literally dozens of smaller systems.

Ideally there would be an All-of-Government initiative to set the standard, but that is both politically noisy and very expensive, both things that politicians despise so actually beyond the expense of making a change to all these systems, you still have to come up with a set of standards which itself requires taking in a massive nationwide call for consultation and engagement with interest groups on both sides of the gender divide, medical, social and political perspectives, just to work out what your solution to offering more than the standard M/F might look like.

And there's not just an easy simple 'just make it so there's another gender' solution. You have to go through your policies and systems and work out what implications of that are and whether you need to make changes. When you're looking for emergency housing for someone, and there's a vacancy at a Women's Refuge with an gender restriction because it's a safe space for abuse victims - what does that mean for new genders? Will placing someone there be traumatically triggering for them? For anyone else? I'm not saying that these questions can't be answered or solved, but they do have to be asked and thought about when redesigning your systems. And there's hundreds of these issues to be looked at and worked through.

Doing it right is massive. And complex. And nuanced. And difficult. And you really want to get it right, because it's the right thing to do.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    pimentochrishallett83discriderVivixenne
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, it's getting a bit close to PAX and i'm only now just getting my stuff together for PAX.

Anyone want to go in on some shared accomodation/airbnb?

I'm probably looking at arriving Thursday, leaving Monday.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford to go for the whole of MIGW and get to the conference as well, or if it'll just be PAX.

• pimentopimento they/pim Registered User regular
    Apparently there's like 280 3 day passes left if anyone doesn't have one and wants one.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 12
    My sister's coworker died after getting hit by a tree and now all the newspapers are saying things like "Women killed by falling tree remembered" and it's like, I guess that's her name now.

tynic on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hope everyone in the sydney CBD is ok

Seems like someone was running around with a kitchen knife

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Until he got chair’d

chrishallett83
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So we should have received the Pax passes by mail by now right?

• pimentopimento they/pim Registered User regular
    I don't think so - mailout deadline is the 22nd of this month so I'm thinking they've not started posting them yet.

theSquid
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Yeah, from memory mail out is way closer to the date.

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I think they usually start arriving around the second half of September

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yoooo I can finally talk about this now

https://www.screenwest.com.au/news-events/2019/08/screenwest-announces-100000-five-interactive-projects/

My team got a grant from screenwest for a game project!

ApocalyptusButlerMcFodderpimentoMr FuzzbuttLost SalientCyvrosLalaboxchrishallett83VegemyteFishmanAwkoSorCstimtokolosTefBahamutZEROCokebotle
  • TefTef Registered User regular