As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    They can, then they can run for re-election.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    can't they just, like, renounce their other citizenships

I feel like anyone who wanted them gone would spin it as them "getting caught" then trying to fix it afterwards.
    So probably not.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Kincaid wrote: »

Ugh Dutton needs to be ousted so hard next election. Bad enough when that potato was in charge of the prison camps, now... yeesh.

Also, Trumble's going to learn hard what happens when a minnow makes demands of silicon valley if he thinks he can make end to end encryption illegal.. hope you like grey market importing of your iphones etc!

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

Also, Trumble's going to learn hard what happens when a minnow makes demands of silicon valley if he thinks he can make end to end encryption illegal.. hope you like grey market importing of your iphones etc!

But the laws of mathematics don't apply in Australia!

Face palming so hard rn.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ugh, my right-leaning facebook contacts are all chortling so smugly right now.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One own goal is embarrassing, two is ... Well, just more embarrassing I guess but how the fuck?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

I guess that's one way to stop your ministers from kicking you out, give them yet more power. I also wonder if someday the "LAW AND ORDER NATION SECURITY" distraction won't work, because it's been trotted out basically every single time the government starts to feel unsure about anything.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I guess that's one way to stop your ministers from kicking you out, give them yet more power. I also wonder if someday the "LAW AND ORDER NATION SECURITY" distraction won't work, because it's been trotted out basically every single time the government starts to feel unsure about anything.

It's gone strong for a long time now. It'll probably continue that way until the public realizes that having absolute capacity for physical authority won't solve all problems

• Options

I feel like anyone who wanted them gone would spin it as them "getting caught" then trying to fix it afterwards.
    So probably not.

It means they weren't eligible to run for election in the first place, so nah they couldn't just renounce. They'd have to resign, renounce, and then run again.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular

So probably not.

It means they weren't eligible to run for election in the first place, so nah they couldn't just renounce. They'd have to resign, renounce, and then run again.

Which is fucking stoopit.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Ehh. If* it's a constitutional requirement then their election would probably be a nullity.

*no idea whether it is or not. Law students: go!

• Options
    Pretty sure it's a constitutional thing. The real question is can they be bothered to look back at their voting records and attempt to nullify any votes they've mode? This government is petty enough that I'm willing to bet they'd go for it.

• Options
    It is in the constitution that you must be an Australian citizen and not hold citizenship of any other country.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, it is pretty cut and dried, and realistically makes sense.

It is more stupid that people do not know what nationality they are.

This is a thing you should know people!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I guess if you were super young when your family moved and can't remember any of it, and it's never come up, you just might not know.

But going into politics seems like a decent reason to find out, I guess. It's definitely a big oversight, but it's at least not an insane one considering the contexts I suppose.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, it is pretty cut and dried, and realistically makes sense.

It is more stupid that people do not know what nationality they are.

This is a thing you should know people!

There should also probably be someone at the AEC who double checks every candidate. We also hear about candidates being ineligible for election because they're been bankrupt or are a felon after they've actually run for election... It makes sense that if you're going to be making decisions on how to govern us that we should know every thing about you.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    It's not all that easy/possible to be 100% thorough (see Abbott and the UK only releasing the details to him personally) but yes, either the AEC or someone at the party (with penalties for non-compliance) should do some decent checking.

• Options
    I can there being bi-partisan concern about a gatekeeper entity being set up, because it could probably be used by a party in control to selectively target the opposition (no birth certificate in triplicate? Sorry, you can't run for office).

Tbf I've been following US politics far too much lately and now tend assume the worst.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

But the islams!!!1!!1one!!1!!

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I for one am shocked that a software engineer without a reason to get up before 2pm in the middle of winter could end up with low vitamin D levels.
    Who could've foreseen this turn of events?

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    archaeologists working in kakadu find evidence to prove that aboriginal people have inhabited australia for 65,000 years

a friend of mine worked on this project, helping to date some of the plant material found at the site. it's pretty cool i think

• Options
    archaeologists working in kakadu find evidence to prove that aboriginal people have inhabited australia for 65,000 years

a friend of mine worked on this project, helping to date some of the plant material found at the site. it's pretty cool i think

Was talking to my brother about this.
    Apparently it has implications for the timeline of humanity as a whole with respect to tools, art, open sea voyage (?), and maybe more that I'm forgetting.

• Options
    Perth folk, if you want to try what is commonly rated as the best beer in the world, Mane Liquor in Belmont has some in stock. Westvleteren 12 it's called. $40 for a stubbie, but.. best in the world? It's pretty damn fantastic at any rate.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Ok all.

So I'm starting to try and get the wheels turning on this little Melb trip I'm planning, centred around the weekend of the 27th Oct.

Mum's coming down with me- art galleries and shopping is on her agenda, but I was just curious, at this early stage, who's thinking of being in Melbourne at that time? And if you don't live down there, how long are you staying? Just working it out really.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Amy and I are flying in on the Friday in the evening, we'll be at PAX on Saturday and Sunday, and I think we're staying in Melbourne until Wednesday-ish?

• Options
    Will we do dinner on the Saturday night?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Nat and I will be there from the Thursday until Wednesday.

• Options
    Jaiden and I will be there for at least the Saturday prior through to the tuesday after.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I skipped the flights by living here since before it was cool/World's Most Liveable City. :cool:

So did @Apocalyptus, but she'll be trapped in Honours hell during PAX time.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i'm back in sydney and now i should probably figure out accomodation and flights to pax

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    on the plus side it looks like i don't have any compulsory classes on the friday of pax like i feared i might so should be good

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I can probably be around.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Anyone got thoughts on that Amex card that offers two complimentary domestic flights a year? I mean that's Pax Aus right there

• Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    Anyone got thoughts on that Amex card that offers two complimentary domestic flights a year? I mean that's Pax Aus right there

What's the annual fee like?

• Options
    theSquid wrote: »

What's the annual fee like?

$375, soooo pretty harsh, but at least it gets padded by those flights.

They're also doing a massive velocity points bonus if I get it by the end of this month and spend a bunch of money (lol honeymoon) so I figure I might be ahead when all is said and done

• Options
    I'll see if I can be there Sat night.

• Options
    $375 is like, probably less than return flights from perth to melbourne lol

• Options
    That's not a bad deal!

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    $375 is like, probably less than return flights from perth to melbourne lol

There's an asterisk on those flights where it limits which places you can fly to, so I don't think that Perth to Melbourne counts.... I think it works out for my situation though

This discussion has been closed.