As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Clive Palmers twitter is tweeting out appalling racist/homophobic/transphobic trash on the 14th. I really dont want to share it here, it's just... gross.

Edit: just looked it up, it's gone now anyway.

But god it is so embarrassingly obvious he's trying to ape Trumps campaign in every way, as the "rich guy who hates the system no really and I totally get you middle class whites who got fucked over by other rich people who aren't like me at all, look here's some racist memes and reminder of the words you used to say without anyone getting upset". Right down to dodgy tax returns.

Double edit: WHOOPS THIS ISN'T THE POLITICS THREAD, IT'S THE DEADLY STRAWBERRIES THREAD. Apologies.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know if the Australian electorate has the same stomach for the used-car-salesman style of politician, but I've been wrong before.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I would like to go back to stomping grounds just because I liked stomping grounds.

But I feel we gotta get some ideas for numbers first.

• Options
    So, this is all kinds of terrible for various reasons:

https://www.economist.com/europe/2018/09/15/how-europe-determines-whether-asylum-seekers-are-gay

but what I found personally interesting is that my aunt works in refugee processing for immigration (don't ask how she feels about current off-shore Australian centres, things get broken), and one of the things she finds super frustrating is when people give her a clearly pre-fabricated narrative that they've been told to use by people smugglers or similar. Because she has to note down if she thinks they're lying. She says that it's truly tragic when she can tell a person has been through hell, probably has great reasons for seeking asylum, but will only regurgitate a set of generic phrases and a highly sculpted family history.

And then I read this, and I think "yeah, because deviating from a narrative deemed 'acceptable' will also get you kicked out so what the fuck are these people supposed to even do?"

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Ok, dinner numbers, quote this post and add your names/+1s

pimento

pimento on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

pimento
    Co60

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Group dinner!

Broadly, I think we have two options?

One: Stomping Grounds, but we ask very nicely that they don’t increase the volume over the course of the night because there are folks (like me!) with sensory sensitivities or audio processing issues in loud settings.

Two: We look at quieter restaurants which can probably seat a bunch of people, like maybe Lemongrass in Carlton, a Thai place not far from the CBD that seems to be constantly winning awards and also is vegan friendly.

I can look into Lemongrass specifically this week if I get an idea of numbers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these?

Lemongrass does sound pretty rad, gave it a look up online, if you're happy to go take a look at it that'd be great imo

Otherwise yeah we can hopefully just fall back onto Stomping Grounds if we can't find anything else, and maybe ask if we can get seating near the edge of the space rather than the very middle...

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Apoc's already added me, so I am purely quoting this to thank you for starting this good idea.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1
    lalabox

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Requesting thread name change to something including the phrase DEADLY STRAWBERRIES

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Veldrin wrote: »

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1
    Lalabox
    Blake +1.5

Blake T on
  • Options

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1
    Lalabox
    Blake +1.5
    Anzekay

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1
    Lalabox
    Blake +1.5
    Anzekay
    SorC + 1

11776-1.png
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular

pimento
    Co60
    Cyvros
    Apocalyptus
    Veldrin +1
    Lalabox
    Blake +1.5
    Anzekay
    SorC + 1
    Awko

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Blake I’m very glad you’re bringing Bodhi

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    DlUwGBnXcAAa6ak.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    yeah I only realised recently that that's purely an australian thing.

To be fair, mostly people only get as far as the first line before being drowned out in groans.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    people generally jump straight to "here's to [...] he's true blue, he's a pisspot through and through, he's a bastard so they say, he tried to go to heaven but he went the other way, he went DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN" these days

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    people generally jump straight to "here's to [...] he's true blue, he's a pisspot through and through, he's a bastard so they say, he tried to go to heaven but he went the other way, he went DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN" there's days

There's a scene in the TV show Love where the Australian character starts singing that song, and it's all so painfully accurate I had to hide.

• Options
    although, now I think about it, "why was he born so beautiful" fits in pretty well after that.

Lots of people will "jokingly" sing the true blue song to get the birthday person to chug their drink, but if someone then launches into born so beautiful after that you know they're really going for it

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I’ll swing by Tabletop on Sat and maybe pop by for the group photo, but I can’t make the dinner this year. Sorry all.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    This got me thinking it's funny that, at that time in a birthday celebration, usually most people are a fair few drinks in and finishing one in order to have cake, which generally won't go well with a lot of booze.

Which then got me thinking - what's the biggest chunk of beef I could realistically buy and prepare? Because I think this year I want a birthday steak.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    This got me thinking it's funny that, at that time in a birthday celebration, usually most people are a fair few drinks in and finishing one in order to have cake, which generally won't go well with a lot of booze.

Which then got me thinking - what's the biggest chunk of beef I could realistically buy and prepare? Because I think this year I want a birthday steak.

You could always pick up a few whole rumps and slice them into steaks.

• Options
    people generally jump straight to "here's to [...] he's true blue, he's a pisspot through and through, he's a bastard so they say, he tried to go to heaven but he went the other way, he went DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN" there's days

I don't think I've ever heard that one.

• Options
    edited September 2018

this is the most suspicious thing you've ever said

tynic on
  • Options

HOW

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

this is the most suspicious thing you've ever said

Oh I don't know about that..

HOW

Maybe it didn't make it over the nullabor in any great numbers? Usually dad got shouted down before he could get through 'why were [they] born' etc so.. perhamps it just never had a chance to flourish.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular

Also haven’t heard that one. Form a line here to hand in our True Aussie badges.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I've read it before in collections of Aussie jokes.
    Never heard it though.

• Options
    Kincaid wrote: »

Also haven’t heard that one. Form a line here to hand in our True Aussie badges.

Aww crap, first the nerd patch, then the man card, and now this..

• Options
    to be fair, the true blue song is about getting the person in question to scull the rest of their drink while everyone is chanting "DOWN DOWN DOWN" so it probably comes up more in certain circles

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Is this a mostly eastern states thing? Think I've only heard it once here (SA).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    i will sing it at people at pax

i will make you all scull your drinks

• Options
    I know, down down, prices are down.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

You could always pick up a few whole rumps and slice them into steaks.

Oh shit yeah - it's also WAY cheaper - just order in a nice side of Harvey Angus rump, have your butcher dress it and cut it into inch thick rump steaks, and live like a fucking GOD. Until it runs out. Ends up costing around 1/2 - 2/3 of the price of just buying cheap rump steak a bit at a time, so it's really great and cost-effective if you have some freezer space.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Blake T wrote: »
    I know, down down, prices are down.

fuck goddamnit blake you just got that back in my head

I worked there for over 8 years

after they started that song it was pure torture every time it played

Anzekay on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah, I imagine those giant hands get really heavy after a while.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Yeah, I imagine those giant hands get really heavy after a while.

thankfully my job never entailed putting one on

This discussion has been closed.