Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Rogue One] A Spoiler Filled Thread

2456734

Posts

  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Solid movie! The characters and personalities sorta got buried under all of the action and breakneck pace, and CGI tech is still far being able to reproduce real time actors that look remotley close to natural, but everything else was top notch. That finale guarantees a buy when this comes out for purchase.

    Shame that there's no new Star Wars video game campaign to play with after watching, Battlefront looks uninteresting even in the "max Star Wars hype" mood I'm in.

    Darlan on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    no after credits.

    Thanks! I suppose what would have been after credits were given to us just before the credits.

    I really enjoyed this but i'm all about the extended universe and space simulation stuff. Most of my Star Wars comes from the video games so being outside of the main plot is my jam. Although I can say it did make me want to watch A New Hope again which would be like. . .maybe my third time ever seeing it.

    steam_sig.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Warner Bros/DC Comics: Hey, everyone, Suicide Squad! Pretty cool, right?

    Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm: Hold my beer.

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Warner Bros/DC Comics: Hey, everyone, Suicide Squad! Pretty cool, right?

    Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm: Hold my beer.

    yeah. this movie and the trailers in it make every blockbuster release by DC look like an embarrassment.

    just the trailers.

    steam_sig.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to see it again but right now my take is they made a Star Wars movie that somehow manages to out Star Wars all the other films

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to see it again but right now my take is they made a Star Wars movie that somehow manages to out Star Wars all the other films

    I thought the first half was a little rough but gosh did it pick up.

    steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    There where some hella deep callbacks, some that weren't ever even totally established canon, only appearing in apocrypha and excised drafts

    - Journal of the Whills
    - Kyber crystals
    - Vader's castle
    - ancient Jedi temples

    I was pretty impressed those got worked in there

    A couple of storm troopers mentioned they were retiring the T-15s

    There were definitely a couple of others but I can't recall them off the top of my head

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to see it again but right now my take is they made a Star Wars movie that somehow manages to out Star Wars all the other films

    I thought the first half was a little rough but gosh did it pick up.

    I agree but at the same time I think that was almost inevitable given that every main character is new. But yeah once we get past that holy shit.

  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    I just got back. No spoilers, but some thoughts.

    I liked it ok. The pacing was really fast and I felt I barely knew the characters by the end of the thing. There were glimmers of interesting character traits but they never quite came to the surface. Alan Tudyk was great. The humans all felt like stand-ins for one cliche or other. Rebellious young woman. Jaded commander. Mystical guy. Gun guy. Pretty disappointing. Felicity Jones is wonderful, and she was largely wasted.

    The CG faces of certain characters completely took me out of the movie. It's not that they were bad, it was just that the faces were so obviously not human whenever they were in the same scene with actual people.

    There's a lot of cool stuff that happens in the movie. Looked like Star Wars, felt like Star Wars. Good action scenes and we got some awesome dogfights and space battles that were missing in TFA. I had fun, but it's a forgettable movie. That's not what I want from Star Wars.

    Overall I'm less enamored with Gareth Edwards the more I see of him.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Battletag: Threeve#1501
    PSN: Threeve703
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What is the name of that little droid that was following the stormtroopers around when they went on full alert? Also does it pass butter?

    steam_sig.png
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Remember how OT Vader was considered the best bad guy in cinema, so much they made a whole prequel trilogy explaining how Anakin became Vader. Then people stopped seeing Vader as threatening because they can't get whiny 'i hate sand' Anakin out of their head.

    Vader reclaims his position as the best bad guy on screen by a long margin. And he does in with like only two scenes.

    and something that make me laugh. that the entire rebel plan to transmit the plans (and thereby causing the entire original trilogy to, which finished with the Empire falling) ended up relying on a line of stormtroopers failing to hit a blind man slowly walking in front of them before he could hit a switch. Well done stormtroopers, you had one job

  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    What is the name of that little droid that was following the stormtroopers around when they went on full alert? Also does it pass butter?

    MSE-6-series commonly known as the mouse droid

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    GaryO wrote: »
    Remember how OT Vader was considered the best bad guy in cinema, so much they made a whole prequel trilogy explaining how Anakin became Vader. Then people stopped seeing Vader as threatening because they can't get whiny 'i hate sand' Anakin out of their head.

    Vader reclaims his position as the best bad guy on screen by a long margin. And he does in with like only two scenes.

    and something that make me laugh. that the entire rebel plan to transmit the plans (and thereby causing the entire original trilogy to, which finished with the Empire falling) ended up relying on a line of stormtroopers failing to hit a blind man slowly walking in front of them before he could hit a switch. Well done stormtroopers, you had one job

    I do like how Vader is introduced in this movie. If you have no knowledge of the SW universe he's just a weird guy in some sort of liquid?

    But if you know his history you know exactly why he's in that tank and what it means if he is coming out of it.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I thought it was fine. The best prequel yet, though that's of course not high praise.

    Great action, but not nearly enough character moments to make the cast anything more than 2-dimensional video game characters. Also, there were some huge clunker lines in the script. "Don't choke on your ambitions" was the worst offender, being wildly out of tone with OT Vader, who doesn't throw around Mal Reynolds-style one liners while displaying his displeasure. The final "hope" line didn't ring right either, not when slasher-movie Vader is hot on your tail. If this were a Bioware RPG, I'd be satisfied, but I have higher expectations for Hollywood writers and directors.

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I thought it was fine. The best prequel yet, though that's of course not high praise.

    Great action, but not nearly enough character moments to make the cast anything more than 2-dimensional video game characters. Also, there were some huge clunker lines in the script. "Don't choke on your ambitions" was the worst offender, being wildly out of tone with OT Vader, who doesn't throw around Mal Reynolds-style one liners while displaying his displeasure. The final "hope" line didn't ring right either, not when slasher-movie Vader is hot on your tail. If this were a Bioware RPG, I'd be satisfied, but I have higher expectations for Hollywood writers and directors.

    Can we really call this a prequel in the same sense as that other garbage? It exists outside of the main story-line in a way that is really appealing.

    but yes "don't choke on your ambitions" was the worst thing in the movie.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    UUUUUNNNNNNNNFFFFFF

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Remember how OT Vader was considered the best bad guy in cinema, so much they made a whole prequel trilogy explaining how Anakin became Vader. Then people stopped seeing Vader as threatening because they can't get whiny 'i hate sand' Anakin out of their head.

    Vader reclaims his position as the best bad guy on screen by a long margin. And he does in with like only two scenes.

    and something that make me laugh. that the entire rebel plan to transmit the plans (and thereby causing the entire original trilogy to, which finished with the Empire falling) ended up relying on a line of stormtroopers failing to hit a blind man slowly walking in front of them before he could hit a switch. Well done stormtroopers, you had one job

    He was one with the force and the force was with him.

  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Maybe my favorite part about that movie was we finally got some good Force Adept action.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    The hope ending line was totally necessary. We've just watched everybody die. Eeeeeeverybody died. Vader Cuisinart'd his way through a rebel ship and they only just barely got away, but the other ships are largely dead, all the ground forces are dead, the fighters are dead. So what did all of that get us, why was it a win? Not because it was a victory against the Empire, but because they managed to gain the chance of victory against the Empire. Sure it's a bit on the nose, but it needed to be.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Kana wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    There where some hella deep callbacks, some that weren't ever even totally established canon, only appearing in apocrypha and excised drafts

    - Journal of the Whills
    - Kyber crystals
    - Vader's castle
    - ancient Jedi temples

    I was pretty impressed those got worked in there

    A couple of storm troopers mentioned they were retiring the T-15s

    There were definitely a couple of others but I can't recall them off the top of my head

    Oh, I just remembered one of the biggest shoutouts

    When they're initially scrambling fighters at Yavin 4, iirc the loudspeaker system is paging General Syndulla

    That could either be Hera Syndulla, leader of the rebel cell in Star Wars: Rebels, or her father Cham Syndulla, who's a Twi'lek resistance leader in The Clone Wars

    Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    There where some hella deep callbacks, some that weren't ever even totally established canon, only appearing in apocrypha and excised drafts

    - Journal of the Whills
    - Kyber crystals
    - Vader's castle
    - ancient Jedi temples

    I was pretty impressed those got worked in there

    A couple of storm troopers mentioned they were retiring the T-15s

    There were definitely a couple of others but I can't recall them off the top of my head

    Oh, I just remembered one of the biggest shoutouts

    When they're initially scrambling fighters at Yavin 4, iirc the loudspeaker system is paging General Syndulla

    That could either be Hera Syndulla, leader of the rebel cell in Star Wars: Rebels, or her father Cham Syndulla, who's a Twi'lek resistance leader in The Clone Wars

    Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan just tooling around on Jehda.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Just came back from seeing it. Brilliant movie, for me it actually ranks near the top of "Best Star Wars" movie. This is how the EU would look like on the big screen.

    I really want a grim dark series of young Han Solo films focusing on his career before ANH.

    Also I really want a couple few movies based on the Vader comics. The last scene was incredible, but I was left a little underwhelmed considering I just finished the fourth trade a couple days ago. I want to see the motherfucker taking on an army.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My thoughts on the movie:

    I liked it but I didn't love it. It captures the atmosphere of Star Wars very well, while telling a different, darker kind of story.
    The early mark against it is Forest Whitaker, who seemed to much like weird for weirds sake. I think he was supposed to feel dangerous and unpredictable, but it just didn't work.
    Overall I did like the first half of the movie though, which gave all characters a bit of time develop and show their usefulness (The scene where the extremists ambush the tank, and the scenes on the landing pad in particular)

    It seems unlike most, I wasn' t really on board with the beach scenes. It felt long and with a foregone conclusion, and apart from the AT-ATs showing up and the most badass character going "well we' re fucked" I feel we just mostly followed the inevitable conclusion.
    The stuff inside the tower, and in space, was much better done.

    And I gotta agree that K2 stole the show overall.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Saw it tonight, liked it well enough.

    CG Tarkin and Leia weren't perfect, but not as bad as I'd been led to expect.

    Vader sounded fine, and it was interesting to see him wade through a bunch of ordinary soldiers. It's my understanding that one of the modern comic series is pretty much about that. It was hilarious how much his fortress was just Barad-dûr, though.

    Jyn's transformation from cynical loner to gung-ho rebel was a bit sudden but not totally unbelievable.

    The final battle felt a bit artificial the way almost all the main characters were killed immediately after fulfilling their vital missions. And every reviewer who said it felt video gamey was spot-on; no cover-based shooter designer could have better placed chest-high walls around the base; Jyn has to climb through a portal that opens and closes at intervals for no reason other than to present a timing obstacle; and the whole thing is oddly reminiscent of a certain Titanfall 2 story mission.

    The ground, air, and space-fighting in the climax was excellent, and Rogue One did a better job showing off cool new fighter designs than TFA. It's a bit weird that the Mon Calamari have apparently been stereotyped as "the admiral race", but I suppose there are worse fates.

    They're not stereotyped, they built all those fuckoff huge cruisers, not sure if it's still canon, but IIRC they were one of the only shipyard planets the Rebellion had access to.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ponda Baba would totally be played by thriller era Michael Jackson if he was human.

  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Just came back from seeing it. Brilliant movie, for me it actually ranks near the top of "Best Star Wars" movie. This is how the EU would look like on the big screen.

    I really want a grim dark series of young Han Solo films focusing on his career before ANH.

    Also I really want a couple few movies based on the Vader comics. The last scene was incredible, but I was left a little underwhelmed considering I just finished the fourth trade a couple days ago. I want to see the motherfucker taking on an army.

    For me the movie had the feel of the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing book series.

  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The final battle felt a bit artificial the way almost all the main characters were killed immediately after fulfilling their vital missions. And every reviewer who said it felt video gamey was spot-on; no cover-based shooter designer could have better placed chest-high walls around the base; Jyn has to climb through a portal that opens and closes at intervals for no reason other than to present a timing obstacle; and the whole thing is oddly reminiscent of a certain Titanfall 2 story mission.

    I don't really remember any chest high walls at all. There was a lot of crates for sure but eh, it was a landing pad.

    The portal thing, and especially the archive tower, both reminded me of Dark Forces. Like I swear the tower of hard drives looked like they took a texture from the original Dark Forces and said "how do we take a texture from a game made 20 years ago and use it?"

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Vader's castle was a bit over the top, but in the context of the movie's portrayal of imperial architecture, the only thing that was really different from the other sturctures was the fact that it had a lava stream running through it.

    Good on Vader for using thermal energy.

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I like how relaxed Vader was with his saber. Thinking about all of the different styles we have seen and he just casually wields it in the most devastating way.

    steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    What I also really liked (and what had already be apparent in trailers) was the sense of scale this thing invoked. That moment when they first reveal the death star and the laser dish is put in. That beginning with the small shuttle and the big planet. That star destroyer hanging over the city. Great cinematography all around.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    honovere wrote: »
    Vader's castle was a bit over the top, but in the context of the movie's portrayal of imperial architecture, the only thing that was really different from the other sturctures was the fact that it had a lava stream running through it.

    Good on Vader for using thermal energy.

    They literally made Darth Vader into a Bond villain. Heh.

    That's the kind of thing I'd expect from Sith in the EU like Lord Cronal. They need to bring that guy back, he was a blast to read about.

    337735-34414-lord-cronal.jpg

    Harry Dresden on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like how relaxed Vader was with his saber. Thinking about all of the different styles we have seen and he just casually wields it in the most devastating way.

    He just doesn't bother. He's shooting fish in a barrel.

  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    That last 5 minutes of panic as the soldiers literally hand off the plans is pretty great.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Battletag: Threeve#1501
    PSN: Threeve703
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Better than TFA.

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think I liked TFA's main protagonists a little bit better but Rogue One had better action scenes, and most importantly no scene that totally took me out of the movie thinking "This is hella dumb!". The opening/closing hatch was only a little bit dumb. Generally Rogue One felt a lot fresher and actually made something new for Star Wars while TFA was more of homage to the OT.

    I'm also gonna say that K2 was better than BB.

    honovere on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The final battle felt a bit artificial the way almost all the main characters were killed immediately after fulfilling their vital missions. And every reviewer who said it felt video gamey was spot-on; no cover-based shooter designer could have better placed chest-high walls around the base; Jyn has to climb through a portal that opens and closes at intervals for no reason other than to present a timing obstacle; and the whole thing is oddly reminiscent of a certain Titanfall 2 story mission.

    I don't really remember any chest high walls at all. There was a lot of crates for sure but eh, it was a landing pad.

    What is a crate, if not a portable chest-high wall?

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Moon Name: Moon
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    What is it with people saying "Vader doesn't quip/make puns?"

    -"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    -"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
    -"All too easy."
    -"He will not be permanently damaged."
    -"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
    -"We would be honored if you would join us."

    Half of Vader's dialogue is him being a sassy bitch.

  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    It felt like watching the season finale of a show without watching the earlier episodes of the season. I really felt like there was some good character stuff going on, and i should really feel attached, but since i didn't watch the episodes before it, i just didn't feel close to the characters.

    Unfortunately, there is nothing before this.

    Still, i feel like the price of admission is worth it for the last 40 minutes.

  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    What is it with people saying "Vader doesn't quip/make puns?"

    -"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    -"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
    -"All too easy."
    -"He will not be permanently damaged."
    -"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
    -"We would be honored if you would join us."

    Half of Vader's dialogue is him being a sassy bitch.

    "Fear is the path to the dark side …fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to dad jokes."

    Late edit: Now that I'm not half asleep in bed, let me have another stab at it.

    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to old age. Old age leads to dad jokes. Dad jokes lead to suffering."

    a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I loved this movie so so much. My theater laughed when they bumped into the guys from the cantina, fun little reference there.
    I was pretty surprised when Cassian offed that spy at the very start, definitely set a good tone for the whole thing.

    Did anyone catch any Dark Forces refereces? I did not, other than Krennic's guards looking an awful lot like Dark Troopers.

    When they were in the archives and Jyn was reading off project names those seemed like a bunch of EU references but I can't recall any other than "Black Saber" which immediately brought to mind the Darksaber thing. I'm guessing there's a ton of little references I missed.

    Vader was terrifying.

    Me on Twitch!
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
Sign In or Register to comment.