As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm very new, but I'm having a blast with what's available to play.
    It's fun not having a criminal status but navigating around to finding grim hex through the asteroid field, or patrolling Kareah looking for trouble. It's also fun to look for trouble and get a criminal status! It's also a lot of fun to do the missions and group up or crew with people.

Last night I upgraded to the cutlass black (in preparation for the rework) from my avenger titan. I introduced a friend to the game during the free play period and he rode in my turret and we both had a great time.

Edit: I just sent an application through to the PAI organisation. Notice me!

Edit edit:
    Crap I forgot to make mention of my forum handle in my application - however it's basically the same on here as it is in game anyway. I've had migraines all week and signed up during a headache so I didn't read the disclaimer at the head of the application sheet.

I've filled in my details for the front page excel sheet.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I think @TOGSolid was handling corp applications.

"I see everything twice!"

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    A few of us do - I just approved you, @Morblitz. That also made me realize we have a whole bunch of stale apps from 2014. Anyone still waiting to be approved?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    edited February 2017
    Cheers, much appreciated!
    I look forward to traversin' the 'verse with you guys.

I imagine with regional servers now it would mainly be US, but are there any Aussies that play or will be playing when 3.0 is live?

Morblitz on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Cheers, much appreciated!
    I look forward to traversin' the 'verse with you guys.

I imagine with regional servers now it would mainly be US, but are there any Aussies that play or will be playing when 3.0 is live?

*raises hand*

I'm basically in hibernation until 3.0 comes out, but we should totally explode things together when it does.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Updated my game but I'm still getting horrible performance issues on crusader. May be related to a common bug that maxes out CPU usage. I'll try star marine tomorrow and see how that goes. Dogfight module and hangar run perfectly.

"I see everything twice!"

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I haven't really flown since Arena Commander first dropped. I'm actively not playing much since I don't want to get tired of the game before it even comes out or get impatient with some bug. Probably a good thing too since it sounds like it's a whole new game since 2.6 dropped and re-did a lot of the mechanics.

Took me a while just to get used to the augmented reality system to load up ships in the hangar.

Heads up to anyone who plays Arena Commander.
    REC earning seems bugged. I havn't earned any REC from the hour of racing I did, and I lodged a ticket with the Issue Council, amongst many others who have done so.
    I don't know if we'll eventually get the REC we earned once it's fixed, or if it will only allow us to earn REC from then on.

But yeah

Shits broked.

• GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    The new loading times for the singleplayer maps are awesome. Like 5 seconds from menu to hangar even on my old i7 920.
    Hope the multiplayer parts get the megamap functionality soon.

causality.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2017
    The bottleneck usually isn't loading art assets, it is the network clogging up trying to tell everyone's computer all at once what assets to load.

(A problem that doesn't exist in single player modes.)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    The bottleneck usually isn't loading art assets, it is the network clogging up trying to tell everyone's computer all at once what assets to load.

(A problem that doesn't exist in single player modes.)

Maybe, but even with a nearly identical connection to the servers, my computer needs nearly twice as long to load into an mp map as Kashaar's. Even if all megamap does is get me closer to his loading times (by making the network into the bottleneck instead of my computer's speed) that will be a huge timesaver for me.

causality.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Loaded the game up for the first time in forever. I haven't played around in the test universe yet and I have to say, it's kinda damn magical feeling walking out the station to get your ship, flying around, doing some missions, and coming back totally seamlessly. Even more nuts is when I gave other players a tour of my Conni.

Also I just couldn't resist: They see me rollin', they hatin'

wWuzwvJ.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Heh, I had a similar experience this weekend. Except when I went to fix one of the comm relays I got blown up by the pirates so I never made it back to the station. Still super cool, but unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing. Although it did seem like the main gun on my Avenger wasnt doing much damage.

The Avenger is still the prettiest panda money can buy though so its all good.

emp123 on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Heh, I had a similar experience this weekend. Except when I went to fix one of the comm relays I got blown up by the pirates so I never made it back to the station. Still super cool, but unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing. Although it did seem like the main gun on my Avenger wasnt doing much damage.

The Avenger is still the prettiest panda money can buy though so its all good.

I dunno... I think the Retaliator and Sabre are prettier.
    although my Avenger is also really pretty, too.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    So has this updated recently?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    So has this updated recently?

Looks like the most recent update was 2.6.2 which mostly deals with improvements to Star Marine and Arena Commander (oh, and added the Drake Buccaneer to the flyable ships list).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The latest patch was a week ago. I think the next big one is 2.7 or 3.0 and I dunno if there's an ETA for it.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This recent video has some good info on some of the things they are working on. And I believe they just announced that patch 3.0 is on the schedule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLRvB9LAlo

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I don't really know what's been going on lately, but over on the subreddit there's people theorizing that Squadron 42 will come out in 2018 and Star Citizen in 2020, so that's a thing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    2018 sounds about right honestly

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Last I heard 3.0 was supposed to come out in December 2016, right? :P

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting until they get the damn flight tutorial working again. I never remember all the flight controls and what they do, and now they changed it, so I'm completely lost.

akirasig.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I don't really know what's been going on lately, but over on the subreddit there's people theorizing that Squadron 42 will come out in 2018 and Star Citizen in 2020, so that's a thing.

Eh, they have so much stuff being made in parallel and so much of the Star Citizen will be built with the Squadron 42 assets that I really would not expect a separation of two whole years between the releases.

Yeah 2 years would be nuts, 14 years is a much more reasonable estimate.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Sometime last year I was talking with a coworker about it, and I said Star Citizen would be the best game of 2021.
    I thought I was joking.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The longer this game takes to come out, the better a graphics card I can buy to run it on.

Optimism!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I remember when I built a PC and bought a GTX 770 to play this game

ha ha

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I really just want to fly around in my Aurora, selling stolen goods on the black market.
    Can we sell stolen ships yet? Can we buy ships in-game?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I remember when I built a PC and bought a GTX 770 to play this game

ha ha

I got burned doing this for a game a long time ago.

I might be getting mixed up, but I believe it was a AMD 9800X.

It was to play Spore, which then was promptly (hah!) delayed for a lengthy period of time.

Double burn.

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    I'm probably in the minority here, but the longer development of Star Citizen goes on, the less interest I have, and I don't mean that it takes to long but rather the direction it seems to be heading. I remember seeing one of the first trailers, this one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

That trailer made me think that it would be a re-imagined Wing Commander, and the aestethics of the Hornet back then gave me really strong flashbacks to this:
    c367e5e2ff0f6b2d41280091b3042186.jpg

I would have loved to play that game and re-live my childhood, but the ultra-detailed second-life in space they seem to be aiming for now is not something I have time for anymore. I just hope the game ends up being good enough so that the people heavely invested in the game both monetarily and emotionally get the game they are dreaming about.

"Ultra-detailed second-life in space" is already in that original pitch, basically: at 4 minutes he more or less sets that whole thing out. Since day 1 the game hasn't changed in its basic outlines at all, as far as I can tell.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    "Ultra-detailed second-life in space" is already in that original pitch, basically: at 4 minutes he more or less sets that whole thing out. Since day 1 the game hasn't changed in its basic outlines at all, as far as I can tell.

some people only cared about Squadron 42 though so none of that other stuff matters Tycho, gawd

But yeah, there's been a repeated sentiment that Squadron 42 was going to be the game and the other stuff was all tagged on as the budget grew and that's not the case at all. The Persistent Universe was in the pitch from the very beginning.

HappylilElf on
  • LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Not disputing that, I haven't followed the development closely so I've just gotten the impression that the scope got increasingly bigger and that the story-driven game got lower priority. Maybe this is incorrect, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how Squadron 42 turns out!

edited April 2017
    I wasn't meaning that to be directed at you, Lodbrok

It's just one of the complaints that has come up over and over despite it being utterly false

HappylilElf on
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Not disputing that, I haven't followed the development closely so I've just gotten the impression that the scope got increasingly bigger and that the story-driven game got lower priority. Maybe this is incorrect, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how Squadron 42 turns out!
    I think it's easy to get this impression because they rarely talk about Squadron 42. The reason, though, is that they're trying not to spoil anything. They want to keep the single player mostly secret so that everything is a surprise. On the other hand, they're being ridiculously open about the rest of the game: there's like, infinite detail on what the rest of the game is up to, so it's easy to get the impression that the open universe is the only thing they're working on.

Speaking as someone who doesn't really give a shit about the open universe and only cares about S42 basically, I don't feel like I was misled or that the focus is being lost or anything. I do think that Roberts bit off too much to chew from day 1, but if he does pull it off it'll be pretty cool, so I can live with that. It's taking forever and costs lots of $$$, but I am patient and people keep buying ships, so that's okay in my book.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Nah, Roberts' goals were realistic. No one expected that the universe was going to dump multiple truckloads of money on his doorstep and demand more.

But yes, the longer this goes on, fewer people are going to care when it does finally get released, even if it does live up to the hype. I'm certainly glad I kept the alpha at arm's distance, only checking in every so often. I'd be sick of the game already if I had played it regularly.

I'm also definitely glad I held off on building a new pc for this. Mainly because I'll be having a new car payment soon and the money I've saved will go towards the down payment. The downside is that my ancient GTX 570 is getting too old for even minimum specs for some games now. I was going to buy a budget card at some point just to bridge the gap, but I think I'll scrap that plan too and hunker down till we have a solid release date.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I don't think time is really going to be an issue to be honest.

A Rockstar game takes years to come out. Are people less interested in GTA or Red Dead if it comes out 5 years later?

All Star Citizen needs to do is have a smart marketing push once it's ready and get the hype train rolling again. If they unveil all the cool features, universe, and systems everyone was looking for in one epic trailer, then people will pick up the game after having been bored waiting for it.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Getting to see all the progress is nice so I patch every once in a great while, but they've changed the controls too many times for me to want to delve too much into what's available. Between the foot controls and the vehicle controls, there are a LOT of controls to keep straight and I don't want to have to re-learn them another couple of times before final release.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I have a fucking Golden Ticket, I donated basically day 1 to get Squadron 42 and we still have jack shit and basically know jack shit about it. The PU i guess sounds nice and all but I want a fucking Wing Commander game and WHERE IS IT!

*Tear*

I 100% care less and less the more months/years it takes for this to come out and that's a damn shame.

edit - and before I forget I especially don't give a shit about star marine and the more and more they talk about it and put resources into it and more and more alienated I feel from the thing I wanted/backed :\

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I have a fucking Golden Ticket, I donated basically day 1 to get Squadron 42 and we still have jack shit and basically know jack shit about it. The PU i guess sounds nice and all but I want a fucking Wing Commander game and WHERE IS IT!

*Tear*

I 100% care less and less the more months/years it takes for this to come out and that's a damn shame.

edit - and before I forget I especially don't give a shit about star marine and the more and more they talk about it and put resources into it and more and more alienated I feel from the thing I wanted/backed :\

I have a Golden Ticket as well! ...although I'm not sure why that matters :P

They're keeping the details on Squadron 42 vague on purpose but Star Marine is part of Squadron 42 because it was never going to be Wing Commander V. The increased funding has let them do a lot more with Star Marine than I think they originally intended to but this game has always been about more than cut scenes followed by teleporting to a cockpit.

This discussion has been closed.