Star Citizen | SQ42 | Come play the game with us | 3.11 Out

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONIndiaRegistered User regular
edited October 9 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

Unofficial Discord

http://share.gifyoutube.com/KrWR38.gif

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander and Starlancer. He left years before Freelancer came out so don't blame that shit on him. It's totally self-published and it's doing the whole crowdfunding thing, but he's skipping Kickstarter. He'll just ask for money straight up from people. He also has normal investors.

The game is running on a modified version of the CryEngine. You'll fly around in spaceships shooting space laser at space aliens in space. There's a persistent multiplayer universe that generates instanced battles for 60-100 players, and there's also an offline mode if you want to play single player or coop. If you want to play in the persistent universe though, you can be an explorer or maybe a trader and stuff like that. You can buy a big ship with turrets and friends can man the turrets. For example:
The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape. Additionally, players will influence the universe with a ship and item marketplace similar to that in Team Fortress 2, as well as with in-game actions.
The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and it will basically be like Wing Commander, except with some coop.

The universe is inspired by Ancient Rome and the single player campaign is inspired by the fall of Ancient Rome. The game is called Star Citizen because "citizenship" is going to be an important characteristic: you can choose to be a citizen of the empire if you want, or you can be a pirate or whatever. One way to earn citizenship is to join the military; another is to buy it.

The game will be open to modding, and it will let you run your own private servers (like Freelancer, actually). He wants to keep constantly updating the game, though (he sees it as closer to a TV series, with a constant series of updates, rather than a movie). And sometimes they won't tell players when they add new content, like a new star system, which means that a player can be flying around, scout the new star system, and then sell the information in their nav system to one of the big corporations. Then the star system is named after you. KICKASS.

TychoCelchuuu on
«13456768

Posts

  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ...Ancient Rome?

    what a happy day it is
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON IndiaRegistered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ...Ancient Rome?
    yes

  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    I wish the Argo cargo had a jump drive and a door from the cockpit to the cargo area.

    It would make a much better space hobo camper than the Mustang Beta.

    gRAhjXV.gif
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ...Ancient Rome?

    In the empire on the wane sense not togas and sandals sense

  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Wait, where did this ancient rome business come from? And if the campaign is the fall of ancient Rome why would you want to be a citizen anymore at the end if it if your government has fallen.

    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Empire is modeled off of ancient rome, and the ICC is in decline. It hasn't fallen.

    We are the skeletons in our closets.
    We are the monsters under our beds.
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I thought there wasn't going to be any arguing in this thread. Another broken Chris Roberts promise. Derek Smart was right all along!

    Zerocz
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ...Ancient Rome?

    In the empire on the wane sense not togas and sandals sense

    Wait, I dont get to run around my ship in togas and sandals? What have they been spending my money on!?

    HappylilElf
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I saw Space Marine and came here as fast as I could.

    Are there Heretics? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE HERETICS

    Fuselage
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    I saw Space Marine and came here as fast as I could.

    Are there Heretics? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE HERETICS

    This kind of Heretic? I wish!

    hwhacqtt76ka.gif

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I'll accept this game in whatever format it comes as long as it doesn't have "fetch me six bear asses, Colonel!" quests.

    Will you accept "Take my 4 ton cargo of Adult HoloVids to the Mining Outpost in that sector" contracts?
    Also the HoloVids will all be from the series SpaceXXX: Bare Asses (in Space).

    icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    What about sex bots? I'm asking for my friend... Johnny... Johnny Spaceguy.

    "I see everything twice!"


    Elvenshae
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON IndiaRegistered User regular
    I saw Space Marine and came here as fast as I could.

    Are there Heretics? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE HERETICS
    that's a joke sorry

  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I saw Space Marine and came here as fast as I could.

    Are there Heretics? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE HERETICS
    that's a joke sorry

    PREORDER

    CANCELED

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Fuselage
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Wait, where did this ancient rome business come from? And if the campaign is the fall of ancient Rome why would you want to be a citizen anymore at the end if it if your government has fallen.

    The setting is not inspired by ancient Rome, it's inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire

    The fall of the Roman Empire took centuries

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rius wrote:
    You know, as long as there's an appreciable effect to bringing 4 tons of adult holovids to a mining outpost? Sure. If the mining outpost suddenly experiences a drop in productivity, raising the buy costs for imported minerals in nearby sectors? Or if the drop in attentiveness 'cause everyone's doing the solo tango to videos of Eccentrica Gallumbits makes it easier to steal loaded containers of Ultratanium from the outpost? Sure.

    But if my 4 tons of holovids disappears down the same hole that the 4 trillion tons delivered by other pilots does, well then no.

    The triple-breasted whore from Eroticon 6?

    I don't believe she exists.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Also Star Marine went open to all backers with the same. Played a match the other day, felt decent enough, but I don't really play that style of bangshooty to have any frame of reference regarding gameplay polish and the like.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    daveNYC wrote: »
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

    sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

    I still can't.

    what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    DreadBert
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

    gRAhjXV.gif
    AiserouJust_Bri_ThanksSyngyneVoodooVTychoCelchuuuElvenshaeErlkönigyossarian_livesGokerzThe DeliveratorGONG-00CampyMr Ray
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

    sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

    I still can't.

    what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

    ???

    It took two engineers 2 days to accomplish according to Roberts. They were basically already on the same version of Cryengine. They lost none of their customized solutions, either.

    The only thing this really changes is now they have direct, in-engine access to Amazon servers. They also aren't as tied to Crytek, who seem to be teetering on the edge as a company.

    TaranisElvenshaeCampy
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

    i literally did not know that


    whatever, star marine is still stupid and I'm mad about it! :P

    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cig were directly asked how a failing crytech effected them, and they said not at all. They didn't depend on the company for anything. All this switch does is save them from having to recode the networking themselves, saving time and resources.

    I knew those click bait headlines were going to be problematic the moment I saw the first one.

    We are the skeletons in our closets.
    We are the monsters under our beds.
    Sir CarcassVoodooVElvenshaeErlkönig
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

    sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

    I still can't.

    what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

    ???

    It took two engineers 2 days to accomplish according to Roberts. They were basically already on the same version of Cryengine. They lost none of their customized solutions, either.

    The only thing this really changes is now they have direct, in-engine access to Amazon servers. They also aren't as tied to Crytek, who seem to be teetering on the edge as a company.

    TIL Crytek hasn't made a Far Cry game since the first one. Jesus. Hope their engine licensing deals are solid...

    Aiserou
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    emp123 wrote: »
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

    sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

    I still can't.

    what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

    ???

    It took two engineers 2 days to accomplish according to Roberts. They were basically already on the same version of Cryengine. They lost none of their customized solutions, either.

    The only thing this really changes is now they have direct, in-engine access to Amazon servers. They also aren't as tied to Crytek, who seem to be teetering on the edge as a company.

    TIL Crytek hasn't made a Far Cry game since the first one. Jesus. Hope their engine licensing deals are solid...

    they made the 3 crysis games....

    then they made that super bad homefront game and now the company is apparently fucked

    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Cig were directly asked how a failing crytech effected them, and they said not at all. They didn't depend on the company for anything. All this switch does is save them from having to recode the networking themselves, saving time and resources.

    I knew those click bait headlines were going to be problematic the moment I saw the first one.

    Yeah my facebook feed is full of clickbait/fakenews crap about this move. To be fair though, I had no idea what Lumberyard was, the email they sent out made it sound like it was just a cloud platform that took over for a lot of the infrastructure/datacenter issues. I had no idea it was an engine until all the clickbait articles showed up with the OMG! Star Citizen changed engines folks...click now and feed our ad revenue.

    Fake news isn't just for politics kids. It's everywhere.

  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I've seen videos of the Star Maine update plus changes they've made to the flight systems. Things look solid enough that when my data cap resets I'll update my client to give things a try. People really need to calm the fuck down.

    "I see everything twice!"


    ErlkönigVoodooVElvenshaeMr Ray
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

    i literally did not know that

    Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

    6vpVLuS.jpg

    SmokeStacks on
    gRAhjXV.gif
    ElvenshaeVoodooVGenji-Gloves
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Fired up star marine for a bit again, is it just me or is the energy rifle kinda shit? I didn't seem to be getting much in the way of kills with it.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    All I noticed is that I couldn't get into a Star Marine match, I couldn't put my fixed weapon mount in my Cutlass turret slot, and as soon as I got in the turret I crashed. I'll try again in a week, but I'm excited at the idea of private games with my brothers.

    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Not going to be able to try star marine out until February, boo!

    Been playing a bunch of Titanfall 2 which has bombdiggity movement and gunplay, so that'll be a good bar to measure it by.

  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Tried it out, and man, it's way harder to get anything done in an LN.
    Got eaten alive by the first pirates I met, my attempts to get some training in Pirate Swarm didn't fare much better.
    I'm gonna have to relearn dogfighting in the new meta it seems.

    causality.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So 2.6 hit the public servers, has anyone tried it? I'm downloading it now, but its large. Probably wont get to check it out tonight :/

  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

    In his defense it is normally a really bad sign for devs to swap engines late in development. Can't think of many that didn't turn out to be sinkers.

  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

    In his defense it is normally a really bad sign for devs to swap engines late in development. Can't think of many that didn't turn out to be sinkers.

    I preface this by saying I am extremely new to the game. This week new, in fact. My friends and I heard from some other friends that the game is further along than we thought so we decided to back now so we could fuck around in large multicrew ships.

    With that said. This game is like, pre-alpha. I would imagination it's not late in development at all. All they really have for us is a semi-persistent playable demo. Again, I'm new to this party but I don't think the timeline is a cause for concern.

    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Oh, dumb me. I didn't even realise that PA would have a corp. Could I get a link to it so I can apply?

    edit: Found it!

    Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    That link gives me a "page not found".

    Space.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    That link gives me a "page not found".

    You have to log into RSI first.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    HappylilElf
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    I haven't played since right after Grim Hex was introduced, I should give it a shot and see what is new.

    I am hoping I can get into a server with someone who has a Caterpillar, I'd love to check that thing out.

    gRAhjXV.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.