As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ugh people are such assholes when it comes to this game. I don't get why people want to be entertained.

news at 11, games take a long time to finish.

(with that said I'm still peeved no s42 yet obviously)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    So I downloaded the launcher and took a look at where the game is at.

Wandered around the launch pad and got into my MISC Freelancer, looking over the controls when I noticed my ship is moving.

Some random hopped into the pilot seat and crashed half my wing off.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, inability to lock your doors/controls is kinda of an issue for now.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Yeah, inability to lock your doors/controls is kinda of an issue for now.

tbh the default should be you have to specifically grant people privileges.

Annoying? yeah, kinda. But absolutely the way to go for now.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    All they really need to do is implement a number-pad and let you set a code when you request the ship. There, design done.

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    So 3.0 is up on the PTU for Evocati. It's about freaking time. If any of you are Concierge status, you'll get in in the first public PTU wave. Leaked patch notes are here, and they're full of good stuff. The beginnings of Item 2.0 and more advanced ship systems simulation, planet landings, cargo, new missions, a new quantum drive system, the new cutlass rework, and some other ship tweaks and adjustments as well.

Here's to hoping the PTU goes smooth and 3.0 goes fully live sooner rather than later. I really want to try out my new-again Cutlass.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Oh gimme my sweet Cutlass. *Gif of Matthew Lillard in Hackers discussing The Gibson*

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I'm impressed it might actually be released to the public in 2017.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I'm impressed it might actually be released to the public in 2017.

yes. impressed. that version 3 of their alpha might come out in the year 2017.

:\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    3.0 was promised for Christmas 2016, right?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's Christmas 2016 somewhere in the world! That's how time zones work, right?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

I really really doubt they ever "promised" any release date for 3.0, they just gave a projected release date.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I really really doubt they ever "promised" any release date for 3.0, they just gave a projected release date.

Did they project it on a wad of a toilet paper they then used to wipe their ass with? I mean, there's missing the date, and then there's this. There's no point in playing semantics.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Game delayed multiple times is delayed multiple more times, more news at 11

If anything I'm comforted by continued forward progress. I thought I'd be playing this game years ago, but it's far from the only Kickstarter I've backed to slide like this.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I, too, am disappointed it's not out yet. It's ok. I've got that other space game to play in the meantime. It's funny. They were considered competitors, but they really aren't contemporaries at all.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Did they project it on a wad of a toilet paper they then used to wipe their ass with? I mean, there's missing the date, and then there's this. And then there's Blizzard There's no point in playing semantics.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    What do you want them to do, build the game harder? They've been communicative AF. They've published their schedules, they've published weekly reports. At every step of the way they've gotten closer and squashed more bugs.

Again we have the hypocrisy of demanding that a game not be shoved out the door unfinished or sliced and diced into day one DLC and season passes as many traditional game publishing models demand. Then we finally get a developer that's crowdfunded so they can DO EXACTLY THAT...and we still bitch that it's not out sooner.

That said....now that 3.0 is up for testing. I'm wondering if it's time for me to put down some money for a budget card to finally replace my GTX570. Was thinking about getting a cheap 1050 or 1060

VoodooV on
  • Fanman188Fanman188 Registered User new member
    I really think they are doing a really good job, but I wish they would be more realistic with the dates they put out. I would rather have a date that is far out, but they hit rather than making dates that make us feel good and then missing them.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Did they project it on a wad of a toilet paper they then used to wipe their ass with? I mean, there's missing the date, and then there's this. There's no point in playing semantics.

It's not semantics, it's the actual situation. CIG promised nothing, they stated an estimated release date of the sort that is usually kept internal expressly so devs don't have to listen to a shitstorm from players demanding the game sooner. I get people are unhappy that whatever part of the game they wanted isn't out yet, but it's not semantics to say that CIG made no kind of commitment to release anything last year.

This whole situation is a really really great example of why game dev processes are normally very opaque, because nobody would want to have to listen to players griping that dates are moving to match changes in development expectations. Which is constant in game development, because this shit is really complicated. I'm dying for info about Cyberpunk 2077, but what do we know about it? Practically nothing, because those devs just do not want to deal with people bitching about why it's taking so long to make.
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Again we have the hypocrisy of demanding that a game not be shoved out the door unfinished or sliced and diced into day one DLC and season passes as many traditional game publishing models demand. Then we finally get a developer that's crowdfunded so they can DO EXACTLY THAT...and we still bitch that it's not out sooner.

I am completely content to wait for this game to be ready. I'm immensely dissatisfied with the current state of gaming; very nearly everything with a notably large budget these days releases too early, withholds content to put in DLC releases, and overcharges for DLC. Most big-budget games now get released when they desperately need another 3-6 months of polish and content development, and I would damn sure rather wait it out than getting something early but shoddy where it spends another 6-12 months in post-release development to meet basic levels of quality.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Quite honestly. I don't understand why there isn't more outrage on this issue of unfinished games cut up for overpriced DLC. Especially after the Mass Effect Andromeda debacle. And that's just one of the recent examples of games being released before they're done. This is a VERY old problem.

Stop pre-ordering games and this nonsense will end.

Of course, the irony is, in the crowdfunding model, "pre-ordering" is a requirement.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I'm honestly waiting until it's done and up and running. As a backer I'm to the point now where I just want it to be good whenever it comes out.

Just dead money for me at the moment and can find plenty of other things to play until then.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Quite honestly. I don't understand why there isn't more outrage on this issue of unfinished games cut up for overpriced DLC. Especially after the Mass Effect Andromeda debacle. And that's just one of the recent examples of games being released before they're done. This is a VERY old problem.

Stop pre-ordering games and this nonsense will end.

Of course, the irony is, in the crowdfunding model, "pre-ordering" is a requirement.

Pre-ordering I am kind of "meh" on, but man oh man I am firmly of the belief that no one should ever, under any circumstances, pay for a Season Pass.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I'm honestly waiting until it's done and up and running. As a backer I'm to the point now where I just want it to be good whenever it comes out.

Just dead money for me at the moment and can find plenty of other things to play until then.

Yeah, there's a shitload more games getting made now than when the original Wing Commander games came out, so I don't see what the big deal is with just waiting for this to be done. Yes, there's not really anything singleplayer out there for this specific kind of game, but there's still a lot of other stuff to play.
    Axen wrote: »
    Pre-ordering I am kind of "meh" on, but man oh man I am firmly of the belief that no one should ever, under any circumstances, pay for a Season Pass.

It is vanishingly rare that anything with a season pass has enough quality content to justify the up-front cost, it's just too easy for devs to half-ass some of the content when they got the money up front for it. Always seems to me that anything with a season pass has at least one completely shitty DLC, one or two mediocre ones, and maybe one with the quality of the original game.

Not to mention the season pass trend has left games littered with bits where they "helpfully" remind you that you could visit Point X if you would just go buy the DLC content, which pisses me off a lot.

Yeah, there's a shitload more games getting made now than when the original Wing Commander games came out, so I don't see what the big deal is with just waiting for this to be done. Yes, there's not really anything singleplayer out there for this specific kind of game, but there's still a lot of other stuff to play.

It is vanishingly rare that anything with a season pass has enough quality content to justify the up-front cost, it's just too easy for devs to half-ass some of the content when they got the money up front for it. Always seems to me that anything with a season pass has at least one completely shitty DLC, one or two mediocre ones, and maybe one with the quality of the original game.

Not to mention the season pass trend has left games littered with bits where they "helpfully" remind you that you could visit Point X if you would just go buy the DLC content, which pisses me off a lot.

F'sure. Just recently Halo Wars 2 Season Pass holders found out they don't get the expansion DLC. Leaving them to ask, "Wut?"

People have discovered with more than a few games that buying the DLC individually was cheaper than the Season Pass. Not even including all the sales or discounts that happen.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The latest newsletter has some Squadron 42 news:
    Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion.

Our single player campaign, Squadron 42, shares a large amount of technology and content with Star Citizen and both games fuel each other. Technology built for Squadron 42 allows for a better experience in Star Citizen and technology for Star Citizen opens up opportunities that take Squadron 42 to another level. Subsumption is an example of technology that is critical for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The Item 2.0 refactor and the Player Interaction Mode were essential for Star Citizen and it is now allowing new and varied gameplay in Squadron 42. Planet Tech, the Zone System and 64-bit precision allows us to expand the playscape for Squadron 42 to solar system scale.

We have a large team working on Squadron 42 and we’ve been making good progress towards achieving my goal to take the Wing Commander style narrative experience to the next level with first person gameplay that moves between foot, vehicles and incredible locations all rendered with a fluidity and quality that you normally only see in pre-rendered cinematic scenes. I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

I know this risks to pull me into the game further, which isn't happening while I can't optimally play it, but I just heard about the Consolidated Outland Pioneer. What surprises me is I didn't know if they wanted to go in the direction of giving players more control over bases and stuff. It's been the dream of many of us, but I feel like they didn't want to go full-EVE with this game. Now if players have the capability to build outposts and bases...what will that mean for us? And I almost forget that we can have private servers too, so really I should be more excited for that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the base building is a total reverse from what they've said before. One that is most welcome though!

I wonder how they'll handle Base destruction. Could really suck if your hard earned moonbase can be sploded if left unguarded for too long. Though perhaps the planets and whatnot will be big enough that hunting down a Base without intel will be a fruitless endeavor! Neat!

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2017
    Most of the planets and moons will be procedural. It is a total waste of effort to have all that surface area if you can't make it useful.

Also, Eve is all about the player generated content. Why would you not just give the players the systems they need to do your content generation job for you if that was possible?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Most of the planets and moons will be procedural. It is a total waste of effort to have all that surface area if you can't make it useful.

Also, Eve is all about the player generated content. Why would you not just give the players the systems they need to do your content generation job for you if that was possible?

I'm sure eventually there will be official or unofficial private server showcases. "Look at this awesome thing we built using stock components."

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Campy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the base building is a total reverse from what they've said before. One that is most welcome though!

I wonder how they'll handle Base destruction. Could really suck if your hard earned moonbase can be sploded if left unguarded for too long. Though perhaps the planets and whatnot will be big enough that hunting down a Base without intel will be a fruitless endeavor! Neat!

The sheer size of the setting will make player-made bases essentially invisible without either tailing people back to their base, being able to buy information about a planet that has that info, or being able to equip sensors to scan for bases. All of which I am super OK with as gameplay options, rigging a small ship for stealth expressly to track player bases and sell the info would be awesome.

But the issue of base destruction is a big one. Even when playing browser-based stuff from approximately a billion years ago, persistent bases were virtually guaranteed to be destroyed without 24/7 protection. Even if they did something like had alerts for when a base is under attack, people can't just drop whatever they're doing at any time of day and go to stop the attack. And if the bases are invincible, then there goes the risk of having them; you could build a 10x10 room with a door and some lockers to safely store anything that fits, which isn't exciting stuff.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

The sheer size of the setting will make player-made bases essentially invisible without either tailing people back to their base, being able to buy information about a planet that has that info, or being able to equip sensors to scan for bases. All of which I am super OK with as gameplay options, rigging a small ship for stealth expressly to track player bases and sell the info would be awesome.

But the issue of base destruction is a big one. Even when playing browser-based stuff from approximately a billion years ago, persistent bases were virtually guaranteed to be destroyed without 24/7 protection. Even if they did something like had alerts for when a base is under attack, people can't just drop whatever they're doing at any time of day and go to stop the attack. And if the bases are invincible, then there goes the risk of having them; you could build a 10x10 room with a door and some lockers to safely store anything that fits, which isn't exciting stuff.

Maybe that's where NPCs come in? You'd think that at least player-made bases would decay. CIG probably wouldn't want to store everything ever built in the game forever. They've also shown us a lot of tech for wear and tear. I think you're right, they must have some sort of base destruction planned. Otherwise base building kind of breaks the game.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Here is the keynote presentation from the Citizencon, featuring a procedural [spoilered]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI

If nothing else, SC makes for ever more impressive eyecandy.

causality.png
    Taranis wrote: »

Maybe that's where NPCs come in? You'd think that at least player-made bases would decay. CIG probably wouldn't want to store everything ever built in the game forever. They've also shown us a lot of tech for wear and tear. I think you're right, they must have some sort of base destruction planned. Otherwise base building kind of breaks the game.

I'd imagine they'd do what many games do and have some sort of tax payment that player groups would have to make on a regular basis in order to keep things working.

Or maybe things degrade over time and you have to replace/repair stuff. "Hey! The hangar door is stuck again! I thought you assholes were gonna fix it!"

Heh, though I think the tax thing is much, much more likely.

Also, that video was amaze-balls. Though their videos usually are.

edited October 2017
    Don't mean to double post, but more neat stuff. If you were wondering how player outposts will work, look no further!

https://youtu.be/pXR55lxmEVg

It is basically an MCV from Command & Conquer. Capital ship class, quite large. Player groups buy the ship, fly it to where they want to settle, land and deploy.

From the Pioneer you can build additional modules and expand your settlement to suit your groups needs.

Each Pioneer comes with one "land claim". Basically just setting a radius around your Pioneer that prevents others from building in your area and setting the max size of your build zone. It sounds like you can buy and sell these outposts to other player groups. Certain restrictions apply and the Planetary Development Bureau overseas these outposts.

edit- From how they worded it it sounds like only player groups can buy these and not individual players. I'm not 100% certain that is the case, but I also wouldn't really be surprised if it was.

Correction- The Pioneer does not come with one free land claim. I guess only the one currently being sold on the website (in limited quantities of course) comes with the land claim. Otherwise a player group will have to buy the Pioneer in game and then also buy a plot of land in game. The price of the plot of land varies based on a number of factors. One of which is the amount and abundance of resources on that plot.

It sounds like players will be able to survey land plots and sell the info. The more recently a survey has been completed on a plot of land will also affect the price of the plot. On top of a player groups willingness to actually buy it. If there is no survey data then you have no idea what is there. So the land might end up being an overpriced dud or you might snag yourself a sweet deal if you buy land without survey data. Buyer beware in that regard.

Axen on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It sounds like players will be able to survey land plots and sell the info. The more recently a survey has been completed on a plot of land will also affect the price of the plot. On top of a player groups willingness to actually buy it. If there is no survey data then you have no idea what is there. So the land might end up being an overpriced dud or you might snag yourself a sweet deal if you buy land without survey data. Buyer beware in that regard.

Clearly the thing to do is go around surveying, buy up good land, and THEN sell the survey info.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited October 2017
    Some other things to note:

As you might have inferred from my last post (or the video if you watched it) land plots are fixed. You can't just plop down any old spot and set up shop. That said, plots are everywhere on a planet and there will be a ludicrous number of plots in the game, though there will be no-go areas like around NPC hubs and such where you can't build. So you can survey say sector A21 of Planet Bob, sell the data, then have a player group fly out to sector A21 of Planet Bob, check it out, and then buy it if they like the area.

It's not just planets you can setup on, but moons and asteroids too!

There are two types of land. UEE Space and not UEE space. You will need to buy claims if setting up in UEE space. If you are not setting up in UEE space you don't need a claim. Building an Outpost in UEE space gives you the "protection of the UEE". I assume this just means that other players can't destroy your Outpost whereas if you setup in not UEE space they could potentially destroy the Outpost.

Another thing is that you need resources to build modules. While your plot might have some resources you won't have access to everything you will need. In this case you'll have to travel to trade depots and buy resources you need from other players. Likewise you can sell excess resources your group doesn't need. You also have to refine resources before use and they talk about how the distance to the nearest refinery might be a factor in picking your location.

Player groups can specialize their outposts. You can go for a pure mining facility, complete with refinery (that perhaps other players could use for a nominal fee of course), trading depots, farms, drug labs, research stations, etc etc. You can have your Outpost be a fancy retreat or a money making machine. I don't think they've finalized that portion yet, but it does sound like your Outpost could be setup to be attractive and useful to other players. They do say you can respawn at your Outpost.

You can also build landing pads (of various sizes to accommodate various ships), hangars, turrets, barracks, and numerous other amenities. Effectively your Outpost can pretty much be as useful as an NPC station if you're able to build it up a lot.

Outposts do decay over time and you need to keep up with repairs. They mention that depending on the location you may need to keep up with maintenance more often. ie: an Outpost built on an moon with no atmosphere probably wont need as much maintaining as an Outpost built on a planet that has a lot of crazy weather.

When it comes to surveying there is a lot going on. You don't just go to a spot, run a scanner, and then be on your way. You'll have to land, take core samples, check seismology, etc.

Individual players can buy and sell land not just player groups, though the UEE will take a cut of the profit.

Just because you own the land doesn't mean other players can't try to extract resources from it. Though if in UEE space you can have security forces deal with them. Outside of UEE space you can setup sensors that will alert you to trespassers. They also mention that a land owner could hire another player group to provide security for them and then those guys will get trespasser alerts.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Clearly the thing to do is go around surveying, buy up good land, and THEN sell the survey info.

Hah, they actually kind of mention this.

You can survey land, find a sweet location, buy it up yourself, and then sell it for mad money. It sounds like the prices of land when buying from the UEE are fixed based on a number of factors, but if you own the land you can sell for whatever the market will bear.

What resources and in what quantities is unknown until surveyed. Land speculation will be a thing. For instance you might come across a spot of land that has the oh-so-valuable and rare X resource in unheard of abundance making it extremely valuable. Not just that plot, but likely a lot of the plots near it.

edit- While this is in the video I linked just for convenience's sake here is the actual standalone reveal video for the Pioneer itself.

https://youtu.be/olxI7X7eac8

Axen on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Just caught up on the keynote video. My god. I'm not even slightly mad that this is taking so long anymore, they generated an entire fucking city-planet procedurally. Give it to me in 2080, I don't care, I'll play it in my nursing home from my hoverchair if I have to.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Just caught up on the keynote video. My god. I'm not even slightly mad that this is taking so long anymore, they generated an entire fucking city-planet procedurally. Give it to me in 2080, I don't care, I'll play it in my nursing home from my hoverchair if I have to.

What does that really mean? So instead of taking the time to have a human being plop cookie cutter, content-less buildings down, a computer did it. Which is great from an immersion standpoint because they can quickly fill up environment with the illusion of a city.

But it's not like they clicked a button and you had a fully-functioning, content-rich city pop into existence.

However, it doesn't really add a meaningful game-play element beyond better immersion, right?

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I think I remember hearing in that video up there that they were working on implementing procedural quest giving, e.g. some of those NPCs that are made will be quest-giving NPCs. Not sure how much variety they can do with that, though.

what a happy day it is
    The tech they've developed to create cities and playing spaces is almost more impressive to me then the overall vision of the game.

Like, that shit is seriously game changing. I hope they share their toys with the rest of the world.

This discussion has been closed.