As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2022 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

Unofficial Discord

http://share.gifyoutube.com/KrWR38.gif

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander, Starlancer, and Freelancer. He had huge ambitions for Freelancer and the game was completely failing to get made so Microsoft kicked him out and got the game done without him. That cannot happen with Star Citizen, because he is self-publishing it based on money people spend on spaceships, so likely the game will never get finished. The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and the plan was for that to have come out many years ago, so chances are that will never get finished either.

The ambitions are very high: Star Citizen is an open world MMO where you play as the pilot, rather than the ship, meaning everything from docking stations to cargo to medical evacuations to mining to piracy to bounty hunting to transportation to planet colonization to system exploration is all entirely simulated and immersive.

A duck! on

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ...Ancient Rome?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    ...Ancient Rome?
    yes

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wish the Argo cargo had a jump drive and a door from the cockpit to the cargo area.

It would make a much better space hobo camper than the Mustang Beta.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ...Ancient Rome?

In the empire on the wane sense not togas and sandals sense

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Wait, where did this ancient rome business come from? And if the campaign is the fall of ancient Rome why would you want to be a citizen anymore at the end if it if your government has fallen.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Empire is modeled off of ancient rome, and the ICC is in decline. It hasn't fallen.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I thought there wasn't going to be any arguing in this thread. Another broken Chris Roberts promise. Derek Smart was right all along!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    ...Ancient Rome?

In the empire on the wane sense not togas and sandals sense

Wait, I dont get to run around my ship in togas and sandals? What have they been spending my money on!?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I saw Space Marine and came here as fast as I could.

Are there Heretics? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ARE HERETICS

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This kind of Heretic? I wish!

hwhacqtt76ka.gif

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I'll accept this game in whatever format it comes as long as it doesn't have "fetch me six bear asses, Colonel!" quests.

Will you accept "Take my 4 ton cargo of Adult HoloVids to the Mining Outpost in that sector" contracts?
    Also the HoloVids will all be from the series SpaceXXX: Bare Asses (in Space).

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    What about sex bots? I'm asking for my friend... Johnny... Johnny Spaceguy.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

that's a joke sorry

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

that's a joke sorry

PREORDER

CANCELED

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Wait, where did this ancient rome business come from? And if the campaign is the fall of ancient Rome why would you want to be a citizen anymore at the end if it if your government has fallen.

The setting is not inspired by ancient Rome, it's inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire

The fall of the Roman Empire took centuries

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rius wrote:
    You know, as long as there's an appreciable effect to bringing 4 tons of adult holovids to a mining outpost? Sure. If the mining outpost suddenly experiences a drop in productivity, raising the buy costs for imported minerals in nearby sectors? Or if the drop in attentiveness 'cause everyone's doing the solo tango to videos of Eccentrica Gallumbits makes it easier to steal loaded containers of Ultratanium from the outpost? Sure.

But if my 4 tons of holovids disappears down the same hole that the 4 trillion tons delivered by other pilots does, well then no.

The triple-breasted whore from Eroticon 6?

I don't believe she exists.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Also Star Marine went open to all backers with the same. Played a match the other day, felt decent enough, but I don't really play that style of bangshooty to have any frame of reference regarding gameplay polish and the like.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    daveNYC wrote: »
    They switched game engines from CryEngine to Amazon's Lumberyard as part of the 2.6 Alpha release.

sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

I still can't.

what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Lumberyard is literally just CryEngine with better networking, calm down dude.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular

sadly the stupid christmas forum preventing me from posting this when they emailed that out. When that email came in I just couldn't fucking believe it.

I still can't.

what a shit show this game is right now in my opinion. I hope everybody is enjoying their bullshit mediocre FPS game that got bolted on to the thing I actually backed in kickstarter.

???

It took two engineers 2 days to accomplish according to Roberts. They were basically already on the same version of Cryengine. They lost none of their customized solutions, either.

The only thing this really changes is now they have direct, in-engine access to Amazon servers. They also aren't as tied to Crytek, who seem to be teetering on the edge as a company.

• Options
    edited December 2016

i literally did not know that

whatever, star marine is still stupid and I'm mad about it! :P

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cig were directly asked how a failing crytech effected them, and they said not at all. They didn't depend on the company for anything. All this switch does is save them from having to recode the networking themselves, saving time and resources.

I knew those click bait headlines were going to be problematic the moment I saw the first one.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Aiserou wrote: »

I still can't.

???

It took two engineers 2 days to accomplish according to Roberts. They were basically already on the same version of Cryengine. They lost none of their customized solutions, either.

The only thing this really changes is now they have direct, in-engine access to Amazon servers. They also aren't as tied to Crytek, who seem to be teetering on the edge as a company.

TIL Crytek hasn't made a Far Cry game since the first one. Jesus. Hope their engine licensing deals are solid...

• Options
    edited December 2016
    emp123 wrote: »
    Aiserou wrote: »

I still can't.

???

TIL Crytek hasn't made a Far Cry game since the first one. Jesus. Hope their engine licensing deals are solid...

they made the 3 crysis games....

then they made that super bad homefront game and now the company is apparently fucked

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Cig were directly asked how a failing crytech effected them, and they said not at all. They didn't depend on the company for anything. All this switch does is save them from having to recode the networking themselves, saving time and resources.

I knew those click bait headlines were going to be problematic the moment I saw the first one.

Yeah my facebook feed is full of clickbait/fakenews crap about this move. To be fair though, I had no idea what Lumberyard was, the email they sent out made it sound like it was just a cloud platform that took over for a lot of the infrastructure/datacenter issues. I had no idea it was an engine until all the clickbait articles showed up with the OMG! Star Citizen changed engines folks...click now and feed our ad revenue.

Fake news isn't just for politics kids. It's everywhere.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I've seen videos of the Star Maine update plus changes they've made to the flight systems. Things look solid enough that when my data cap resets I'll update my client to give things a try. People really need to calm the fuck down.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited December 2016

i literally did not know that

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

6vpVLuS.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Fired up star marine for a bit again, is it just me or is the energy rifle kinda shit? I didn't seem to be getting much in the way of kills with it.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    All I noticed is that I couldn't get into a Star Marine match, I couldn't put my fixed weapon mount in my Cutlass turret slot, and as soon as I got in the turret I crashed. I'll try again in a week, but I'm excited at the idea of private games with my brothers.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Not going to be able to try star marine out until February, boo!

Been playing a bunch of Titanfall 2 which has bombdiggity movement and gunplay, so that'll be a good bar to measure it by.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Tried it out, and man, it's way harder to get anything done in an LN.
    Got eaten alive by the first pirates I met, my attempts to get some training in Pirate Swarm didn't fare much better.
    I'm gonna have to relearn dogfighting in the new meta it seems.

causality.png
  • Options
    So 2.6 hit the public servers, has anyone tried it? I'm downloading it now, but its large. Probably wont get to check it out tonight :/

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular

In his defense it is normally a really bad sign for devs to swap engines late in development. Can't think of many that didn't turn out to be sinkers.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »

In his defense it is normally a really bad sign for devs to swap engines late in development. Can't think of many that didn't turn out to be sinkers.

I preface this by saying I am extremely new to the game. This week new, in fact. My friends and I heard from some other friends that the game is further along than we thought so we decided to back now so we could fuck around in large multicrew ships.

With that said. This game is like, pre-alpha. I would imagination it's not late in development at all. All they really have for us is a semi-persistent playable demo. Again, I'm new to this party but I don't think the timeline is a cause for concern.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Oh, dumb me. I didn't even realise that PA would have a corp. Could I get a link to it so I can apply?

edit: Found it!

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    That link gives me a "page not found".

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    That link gives me a "page not found".

You have to log into RSI first.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I haven't played since right after Grim Hex was introduced, I should give it a shot and see what is new.

I am hoping I can get into a server with someone who has a Caterpillar, I'd love to check that thing out.

This discussion has been closed.