As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Shhh, don't let Chris Roberts hear that or the game will get delayed even further so that they can code in teledildonics.

So where do I give him my CC info?

TSR is that you?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    But the only argument I think anybody is making in this thread is that it is ridiculous that sq42 isn't gonna be out till 2021 though?

Again, I backed this game in 2012. Like, this is bananas.

I understand where you are coming from, but I hope you have learned a valuable lesson re: crowdfunding.

Anyone who is super upset at the projected release date should really stop posting in this thread, stop reading about Star Citizen, and stop thinking about the game entirely until it goes gold. Any money you spent in 2012 wouldn't have had any appreciable effect on your life in 2019. Complaining about how long the game is taking in a thread filled with people who all know how long the game is taking is just wasting energy.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The only winning move with Star Citizen is to just check in on it once in a while and then go back to forgetting it exists. It makes the original sting to the wallet hurt a lot less.

Unless you're a fan of actively being a tester and try to break the systems that are currently playable in the PU. Personally, I've been having fun flying around in my Sabre, getting disconnected just inside the armistice zone around a moon-side landing base, and trying to get back into the cockpit after flying back to my ship in one of the free flight gimme ships (in that particular case, it was a Gladiator).

Thinking back on it, I should have recorded that footage because it was absolutely ridiculous (both what I was trying to do and that the game was letting me do it)

EDIT - okay, so I'll tell the tale:

A friend and I are flying to Levski to pick up a core mission to meet somebody for future missions. While coming in for a landing, I get disconnected from the server. The disconnect happened right as I was crossing inside the Armistice Zone. So I'm still about 2km away from a landing pad and a couple hundred meters off the ground. When I respawned at Port Olisar, I was asking my friend (we're on a Skype call) if my Sabre was still there. He took off and told me that yep, it was just hovering there where I got disconnected. I figure I'll hop in the freebie Gladiator and fly back. Sure enough, I see my Sabre just sitting there...so I get a thought in my head: If I fly directly above my Sabre and open the canopy, I should be able to just switch cockpits.

I come in as slow as I can and just tap my maneuvering jets to get me in position. Rotate along my axis to go inverted directly above my Sabre, and exit the cockpit. Unfortunately, I've never piloted a Gladiator before and didn't know that leaving the cockpit spits me out the bottom of the ship...so now I'm upside down and walking along the belly of the Gladiator. I get back into the cockpit, re-rotate my ship and get into position. All the while, my friend is just parked in front of me watching all this go down and laughing his ass off.

In proper alignment, I exit the cockpit and drop onto the top of my Sabre. Carefully walk over to the canopy and manage to get the prompt to open the canopy. There's just one problem at this point: I don't get a prompt to enter the cockpit. I carefully nudge myself to be standing on the pilot's seat, but I'm still not getting the prompt to take control of the ship. At this point, things get wonky and I glitch through the Sabre and fall the 200m to the moon surface. Now, with broken legs, I'm 2km away from Levski and all I can do is kinda run my way there. Just one big problem: there's a giant bore-hole between me and the nearest airlock. So even though the airlock is about 700m away from me, I have to run the circumference of the bore-hole...and I just don't have that kind of time, so I just suicide and jump down the bore-hole.

Getting back in my Avenger, I now pass by my two ships that looks like a Gladiator trying to mount the poor Sabre (with canopy still open). As soon as I land, insurance claim gets filed.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    But the only argument I think anybody is making in this thread is that it is ridiculous that sq42 isn't gonna be out till 2021 though?

I understand where you are coming from, but I hope you have learned a valuable lesson re: crowdfunding.

Anyone who is super upset at the projected release date should really stop posting in this thread, stop reading about Star Citizen, and stop thinking about the game entirely until it goes gold. Any money you spent in 2012 wouldn't have had any appreciable effect on your life in 2019. Complaining about how long the game is taking in a thread filled with people who all know how long the game is taking is just wasting energy.

What a shitty comment

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

What a shitty comment

Eat some of those bananas then. Make a banana cream pie, or banana bread. Take the banana peels and lay them in someone's walking path for silly pranks. At least that would be somewhat productive. This game comes out when it comes out. No sooner, no later. They aren't going to build the game any faster, Being pissed about it does absolutely dick. Anything else is just stirring the pot, muck-raking, rabble-rousing, etc.

Lather, rinse, repeat, the next time this drama comes around, probably instigated by the same group again. Don't take their bait.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    What a shitty comment

What a clever response.

If you backed the game in 2012 than you've had multiple opportunities to get a refund in the past six years, if you've waited this long without doing so than your complaints are a little hard to take seriously.

I backed the game on October 8th of 2014 when Newegg screwed up and was accidentally selling those AMD Never Settle gold codes on their website for a dollar. When I first installed the game it was comprised entirely of a hangar, Arena Commander with two levels, a single environment that was used as a racetrack, and a handful of ships. The amount of progress that has been made since then is absolutely insane. Waiting sucks, but at this point the best bet for anyone who is angry about it is to either be patient or be playing something else until release.

edited December 2018
    Dude, you can still have a conversation about how you're disappointed that it's taking forget for the game to come out in the game's thread.

It sucks it annoys you I guess but that's still a valid topic about the game!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    VoodooV wrote: »

Lather, rinse, repeat, the next time this drama comes around, probably instigated by the same group again. Don't take their bait.

What in the world are you talking about?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited December 2018
    How often have we had this same damned topic of discussion? Too many times. I'm bummed the game isn't out yet. You're bummed the game isn't out yet Many of us are bummed this game isn't out yet. Now repeat this ever month or so ad nauseam. Gets boring doesn't it? Now pay attention to the people who don't seem to be bummed that this game isn't out. Started about a year ago.

Star Citizen is a troll's paradise. Highly ambitious and controversial game, long development time. Been a hard slog getting this far and we're not done yet. People losing their patience, Lots of money being put down. Lots of conspiracy theories. We've already had a lot of people putting out hoaxes about the refund situation.

VoodooV on
    Star Citizen is a troll's paradise. Highly ambitious and controversial game, long development time. Been a hard slog getting this far and we're not done yet. People losing their patience, Lots of money being put down. Lots of conspiracy theories. We've already had a lot of people putting out hoaxes about the refund situation.
    how does any of that have anything to do with people posting in this thread?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    how does any of that have anything to do with people posting in this thread?

Because there are one or two consistent posters in this very thread who are very firmly in the "Peddling of conspiracy theories" demographic when it comes to anything to do with Star Citizen/SQ42/RSI/Chris Roberts/whatever.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pretty much everybody in this thread fits in one of the following groups: people mad about the game not being out yet and/or doomsaying groundlessly, people responding to those people by pointing out clearly-laid-out progress of the game, and people who play the the different alpha pieces and post things of actual relevance and interest.

The people that are going to be mad are just going to be mad regardless of evidence. The doomsayers are going to doomsay regardless of evidence. The people offering up the rebuttals are pretty much just there so those people who actually play the game content aren't posting to a thread of nothing but negativity.

I don't play Mechwarrior Online anymore because it's a turd and the people running the game are also turds, but I also don't crap on the MWO thread endlessly because they haven't changed the game to what I want (or even something that resembles a decent game). It won't change the game to gripe, but it would waste a bunch of my time. I don't understand why there's anybody that treats naysaying Star Citizen like it's a career, because it's simply not worth their time to be posting about something they don't like and is never going to change into the thing they wanted. I could understand arguing people away from the game on the basis of it being a scam but it isn't a scam, so then it's just people trashing the game because they want to see it crater.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    You forgot "people who actively avoid clicking the shame fleet spreadsheet to avoid having more reasons to drink."

wWuzwvJ.png
    You forgot "people who actively avoid clicking the shame fleet spreadsheet to avoid having more reasons to drink."

Can't afford to drink...bought too many ships.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Can't afford to drink...bought too many ships.

I'm the sole reason our spreadsheet has a horizontal scroll.

*sobs*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    So I played a lot of SC over the last few days. Got home from christmas and noticed that the 3.4.1 patch not only increased my fps even further, but also made most missions actually work! Flying around is a lot more fun now, though enemy AI still seems busted.

Some things I noticed:
    - The Widow trade is a great catalysator for emergent pvp. It's both the most lucrative thing to do, and because there only one single place to buy it and there is a limit to how much you can buy and sell per minute there is a good reason to try an keep other players from trading Widow.
    - If you got the credits, make the first thing you buy ingame a new powerplant! Not even kidding, the difference in ship performance is absolutely insane. My trusty little Aurora LN accelerates nearly as quick as my Merlin ever since I got myself an ACOM Starheart. But be careful, there is no insurance for components yet. If your ship gets lost, you have to buy a new one.

causality.png
    3.4.1 has the flight model change right?

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    I believe the new flight model is debuting in 3.5.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    Dusda wrote: »

Yup. Was watching a BoredGamer video previewing the things coming in 3.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_jTZQHQUA

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

New flight model, the first iteration of the salvaging system, ArcCorp (the city planet they've been showing off bits of for years), female avatars, the 300i series rework which will be the first ship to support custom paint jobs... I'm skeptical that all of the above is actually going to make it into 3.5 but if even half of it does its going to be one hell of a patch.

In terms of what's actually in the game right now, we're actually in a pretty good place with 3.4, a lot of things that have been broken for ages were fixed and there's a basic gameplay loop in the form of get mission - > shoot spaceship / shoot dudes / deliver box - > repeat. I'd probably recommend anyone interested in checking out the game wait until 3.5, but at least there's a game there now, however basic.

Mostly I have fun just exploring and finding all the little details the devs put into the game that they didn't have to. I think I mentioned the computer terminals before; the interfaces are sometimes different depending on where you are. Port Olisar and the rest stops use a "default" one, Levski has a very basic ASCII looking one with a login screen that indicates that the software is an expired trial version. GrimHex is somewhere between the two, looking like a "hacked" version of the default UI with some ASCII bleeding through. My favourite part of GrimHex though is the landing system. Again, it sounds similar to the "default" automated landing computer voice, only corrupted/hacked. I left my ship on the wrong pad one time and the message I got was:

"Warning: W-W-Warning: Your ship... y-y-your sh-ship is ooobstructi-i-i-ing the l-l-landing..."

*static*

(completely different voice)

"MOVE YOUR DAMN SHIP!"

*static*

I got a kick out of that one.

Mr Ray on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    the first iteration of the salvaging system,
    [×] Would like to know more

Is my shipbaby finally their purpose implemented? So many consoles you can sit at but just have placeholder interfaces.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Pretty much everybody in this thread fits in one of the following groups: people mad about the game not being out yet and/or doomsaying groundlessly, people responding to those people by pointing out clearly-laid-out progress of the game, and people who play the the different alpha pieces and post things of actual relevance and interest.

The people that are going to be mad are just going to be mad regardless of evidence. The doomsayers are going to doomsay regardless of evidence. The people offering up the rebuttals are pretty much just there so those people who actually play the game content aren't posting to a thread of nothing but negativity.

I don't play Mechwarrior Online anymore because it's a turd and the people running the game are also turds, but I also don't crap on the MWO thread endlessly because they haven't changed the game to what I want (or even something that resembles a decent game). It won't change the game to gripe, but it would waste a bunch of my time. I don't understand why there's anybody that treats naysaying Star Citizen like it's a career, because it's simply not worth their time to be posting about something they don't like and is never going to change into the thing they wanted. I could understand arguing people away from the game on the basis of it being a scam but it isn't a scam, so then it's just people trashing the game because they want to see it crater.

So this is a religious thread now? Only the faithful need apply? Your writing above is wildly unfair and dishonest. The reason why I post here is that I cared a lot about SC and I wanted it to be a great game within a reasonable development process. The fact that the game is moving along the way it is is in itself a very important aspect of the game. It most definitely merits debate and discussion, by the very definition of a forum and the rules of this forum.

The amount of progress we've seen so far is not enough to silence this debate. It's not nearly enough to end the discussion.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    There's nothing to discuss though. Yeah, shit's taking a long time. We know. What more is there to "discuss" on the subject beyond expressing your displeasure?

The amount of progress we've seen so far is not enough to silence this debate.

Yes, it very much is. Calling this a debate is an insult to the word debate. I've noticed a pattern to a lot of this stuff over time. Whenever the topic of this thread is about actually playing the alpha and the actual game mechanics, and actual concrete things you can do right now. Certain people just aren't around and have not participated. Yet whenever some drama shows up regarding SC, certain people just seem to always show up.

New milestones reached and/or new features get implemented or some other tangible, objective progress.....silence from said group. But when there is some juicy gossip or manufactured outrage for the game tabloids. There they are...same group. Kinda paints the picture that this aforementioned group could give a flying leap about SC and just wants to see it burn and will move on to the next goalpost whenever the latest speculation of doom doesn't come to pass.

If you backed the game and are displeased with the progress. I know it sucks, but I'm sorry, you knew what you were getting into when you helped crowdfund a game. You had your opportunity for a refund, and for a lot longer of time than is typical. You knew damned well going into this that everything could go belly up and CIG could shut down. But oh wait, that hasn't happened, they're still making the game, and showing progress and being more communicative than any game in history, just taking way longer, part of which is by design due to how many people who backed and demanded more. You can only beat that dead horse for so long and still expect sympathy. If this game came out tomorrow, and became the hit of the decade, would you still plant your foot down and say "but it didn't come out when they originally said it would come out!!" Or would you just shut up and play/enjoy the damned game? I'm sorry, but I'm just a little skeptical this is just genuine concern about game development, proper project management and what is/isnt proper admonishment for missed project deadlines. If it is, my bad, but maybe there should be a separate thread for proper discussion of the do's and don'ts of game/project management and agile development, or six sigma, scrums, or kanban boards, whatever, so that these issues can be more fully discussed.

I just want to go on wacky space adventures with my fellow classy space citizens and go shoot shoot now with my shame fleet and it really doesn't bother me that they're taking longer than expected as long as they maintain communications and demonstrate progress, which they have.

edited January 2019
    Whenever the topic of this thread is about actually playing the alpha and the actual game mechanics, and actual concrete things you can do right now. Certain people just aren't around and have not participated.
    Except I don't care about playing some alpha that isn't the game I backed? I've tried it lots, it always performs like garbage, and it's not fun. I don't want to waste my time playing crappy builds of a demo that won't impact any experience/progression I have in the actual game.

If you enjoy it that's great but to somehow say that because they've released x means we can't discuss how long y is taking is silly.
    Yet whenever some drama shows up regarding SC, certain people just seem to always show up.
    You keep saying this and I have no idea why. What drama are you constantly referring to? I don't really see people in this thread linking to crazy star citizen deniers out on reddit or some bullshit. I, and it seems like others here who are disappointed, are simply responding to the stuff RSI emails out every week or so.

A couple weeks ago somebody said if you don't like it ask for a refund. That's not really how Kickstarting a thing works, I've heard very mixed things about that, and frankly it's weird people have been able to get refunds at all.

Don't mistake me complaining about the years upon years this game is taking as me not wanting the game. It would just be really cool if I got the game I Kickstarted and not whatever the hell this thing has transformed to. It'll sure be interesting to play squadron 42 when it's done, I just don't have super high hopes for it anymore based on what I've played of the Star citizen alphas.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    1) When I'm referring to that "certain group," I'm not referring to you Hardtarget. Yes, you've obviously been cranky for a while now, but you've also expressed genuine interest/excitement about this game many times in the past. Others have not. I specifically asked you what you thought of the vertical slice video because I knew you wanted to see some SQ42 progress and in one of the earlier cons, they said that they were going to release some footage, but pulled it at the last minute because they felt it wasn't ready, so I specifically remember wanting to ask you about it when it did finally drop because it was obvious you were interested.

2) No one said you had to like playing the Alpha. I barely touch it myself. I made a conscious decision that I wasn't going to mess around with it often, because I didn't want to get burnt out playing a game that hadn't left alpha yet. I would be a crap game tester. I log on and poke around a bit every few months or so. I have yet to play one of the missions that have been created so far. I keep meaning to set aside some time and start setting up my HOTAS controls but I never make it happen. But again, you've expressed interest/excitement about other parts/mechanics of the game, so again, not referring to you.

3) SC offered refunds for backers if they wanted them for a long time. Whether it's weird or not is irrelevant. The point is that if you wanted out, you could get out and had ample opportunity to. Crowdfunding is a risk, there is no getting around that. Backers accept that risk.

4) You don't recall the various times when some controversy was drummed up about the game? Conspiracy theories about Roberts taking the money and running? The escapist article that made serious unfounded accusations against SC? The hoax about the group of people who claimed they bought 3 of the most expensive game packages and got a refund? And so on.... At every step, there has been an element of posters here feeding those conspiracy theories....fanning those flames. Insinuating that CIG was insolvent and/or deliberately misleading us? All I can tell you is to review this thread man.

In response to 4 I really don't feel like this thread has had issues like that in ages (I may be wrong of course)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

So this is a religious thread now? Only the faithful need apply? Your writing above is wildly unfair and dishonest. The reason why I post here is that I cared a lot about SC and I wanted it to be a great game within a reasonable development process. The fact that the game is moving along the way it is is in itself a very important aspect of the game. It most definitely merits debate and discussion, by the very definition of a forum and the rules of this forum.

The amount of progress we've seen so far is not enough to silence this debate. It's not nearly enough to end the discussion.

“Wildly unfair and dishonest”? You’re saying that after insisting that this is a religious thread? :rotate: You’re not proving him wrong.

He’s not trying to silence a debate here. He’s just saying that it’s not worth his time.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    to be fair to the religious comparison, SC does involve a form of tithing

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    No, it doesn’t.

to be fair to the religious comparison, SC does involve a form of tithing

This is stupid but I still chuckled lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    No, it doesn’t.

Though I think I could actually spend 10% of my salary on it without duplicating packages or buying money.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay. I have an issue and I would like some help or advice.

I go to the website and try to sign into my account to download the installer. Password does not work. Reset the password. Follow the link from my email and change the password. I am now in my account. I download the installer. Try to log in on the installer. Password is incorrect despite just changing it. Try going back to the website. Password incorrect.

Why is this happening. No matter what I change it to, the moment I try to log in again or try to log into the loader, incorrect password.

I just want to check this out again!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Okay. I have an issue and I would like some help or advice.

I go to the website and try to sign into my account to download the installer. Password does not work. Reset the password. Follow the link from my email and change the password. I am now in my account. I download the installer. Try to log in on the installer. Password is incorrect despite just changing it. Try going back to the website. Password incorrect.

Why is this happening. No matter what I change it to, the moment I try to log in again or try to log into the loader, incorrect password.

I just want to check this out again!

The mistake I keep making every time I come back after having not played in a while is trying to log in with my handle/community moniker rather than my username. Turns out you have three seperate names which comprise your RSI identity, which is totally not weird or confusing in the slightest. To clarify, you've got:

Your username: The thing you log in with. Nobody should know what this is but you; you can't even see it in your account once you've logged in

Your handle: A unique identifier that's connected to your profile, you can change this ONCE provided whatever you want to change it to isn't taken

Your community moniker: Your "display name" which can be changed at any time

Are you definitely using the right one to log in? Because I know I certainly keep trying to log in as my display name...

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That was it! Nowhere did it say to use a different thing so I kept trying using my email address, which most things let you use either or, hence my issues.

Thank you for the suggestion!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Update: I was successful in wandering around a space station and take off. I couldn’t really figure out where to go. Also I have a boring tiny ship.

Update: I was successful in wandering around a space station and take off. I couldn’t really figure out where to go. Also I have a boring tiny ship.

All navigation is handled via MobiGlass (F1) and the Skymap tab.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    You can go straight to the map with F3 (I think), but you'll want to pick up missions from the MobiGlass anyways

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The game is certainly in a playable state at the moment, framerates are decent even on my ageing GFX. However my ships inability to actually shoot anywhere close to my reticule for a perceivable length of time put me off from actually trying out any game loops.

I don't remember anything specific, but im pretty sure there are a number of tutorial videos out there to help ease the learning curve a bit. I know I was a little overwhelmed when the mining mechanics got added in and I hadn't flown in many many months so a lot had changed.

This discussion has been closed.