As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Star Citizen would be a very different game if they'd gone dark after the Kickstarter. Hell, it would be out, and be super simple, because they only got a few mill off Kickstarter.

Their entire funding model has been about information access, and getting people to pay for more of that, whether it be ships or whatever the f a subscription gets you. The gravy train has been incredible as a social experiment. I am dumbfounded at the amount of funding they have been able to pull, and constantly dripping info has been absolutely required to make that happen.

It probably would have made the cries of 'scam' louder, though, since they would have been saying nothing, but, like I said, they'd have released something they could make for a couple mill at this point.

Could they even make Privateer for a couple mill? It would be a shadow of what Wing Commander was, if they had done that.

none of that has any bearing on the issues I pointed out. It's really a non-sequitur. They could be not-dark and still make a game the way that actually gets you a game in the end, and not dozens of ships and virtually no game.

Again, I WANT Star Citizen.

It's not out yet. And did you hear that there are development problems?

Sorry, but being a backer doesn't make you a shareholder. Stomping your foot in all caps doesn't make development go any faster.

Wow, I can't believe I almost missed an entire cycle of repeated complaints.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    There is nothing like Star Citizen and that is primarily my interest in it. A Privateer remake would have been neat, but the world instead decided to hand over $235,000,000 for something greater. I'm not sure it'll work out, this whole experiment could implode under its own weight but hey it's a fascinating ride.

I just don't see the point in being so repetitively cranky about it. We get it, you're mad about scope creep. The game they pitched isn't going to happen, the plan changed and it is never changing back.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »
    Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw is waaaaaaay more Privateer than the original Rebel Galaxy would suggest.

Basically with Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen on the horizon they decided to take the spacesim in a different direction for the first game to avoid a potentially flooded market.
    Then Elite came out and was a different thing and Star Citizen is still not out, so they decided to make the game they originally wanted to.... which was essentially Privateer because noone was doing that.

No, I know, Outlaw is more Privateer.

I meant that it also looks like Privateer did in the 90s. If Roberts did that, I guarantee you it would cause a shitstorm that would dwarf the one around Star Citizen.

I hope by "it looks like Privateer" you mean the deliberate presentation style and not the actual graphical fidelity.

I think you underestimate the number of people that absolutely want (or loudly proclaim to want) remakes of cherished old games that don't change any mechanics in the update. XCOM is a good example. The remake is an excellent game, but I recall a lot of the complaints when it came out were how it wasn't exactly like the old game in every single way and how that was somehow a betrayal of the spirit of the game. I'm pretty confident if this Kickstarter had been specifically for a remake of Privateer and they delivered Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (without needing the ridiculous amount of post-Kickstarter funding creating unrealistic expectations), you'd see far more cheers than boos. However, Privateer/Wing Commander was only really mentioned in the kickstarter to name drop, SC was it's own, different, vast thing, so the direct comparison to Privateer isn't particularly valid.

That's an interesting comparison, because XCOM: Enemy Unknown was superior to the original in every way. And I adored the original. And there's no way it cost 2 million or less to make.

Honestly, they promised a persistent online world in the original pitch, so it was never going to be just a remake.

Although, to be fair, if it was Freelancer with some more depth, I would have been on board..... >.>

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    There is nothing like Star Citizen and that is primarily my interest in it. A Privateer remake would have been neat, but the world instead decided to hand over $235,000,000 for something greater. I'm not sure it'll work out, this whole experiment could implode under its own weight but hey it's a fascinating ride.

I just don't see the point in being so repetitively cranky about it. We get it, you're mad about scope creep. The game they pitched isn't going to happen, the plan changed and it is never changing back.

People are cranky because they want a game to play. Video games have a shelf life. The longer it takes for Star Citizen and Squadron to come out, the higher the chance it will fail to live up to expectations.

See: Duke Nukem, Prey, any other 10 year + game.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif

People are cranky because they want a game to play. Video games have a shelf life. The longer it takes for Star Citizen and Squadron to come out, the higher the chance it will fail to live up to expectations.

And what, precisely, can we do about that?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ok, DNF was not super fantastic, I'll give you that. Prey was super good though.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ok, DNF was not super fantastic, I'll give you that. Prey was super good though.

Depends which Prey we're talking about here (remember, there are two games that have that same title). I tried out the 2006 one, and I couldn't really get into it (although, it should be mentioned that I was deeply into WoW in '06, so that might've been a contributing factor in why I bounced off the game). That said, I do know that it was well received by critics.

But, back to Star Citizen...
    VoodooV wrote: »

And what, precisely, can we do about that?

I mean...people can play the iterative builds that RSI puts out? Now, granted, for me that takes away quite a bit of firing up a game for the first time and having this whole world to explore and play around in (I ran into this with Subnautica Early Access)...but it is still something that people can do if they really "want a game to play."

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I tried out the 2006 one, and I couldn't really get into it

You missed out man, it was solid.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    the nuPrey is also extremely good

oh also the new Rebel Galaxy is amazing if you're into privateer

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited September 2019
    Prey 2006 was sort like, Half Life 2 but with alien buttholes, portal shenanigans, and a bow and arrow. I firmly believe that the only reason it's not more widely applauded is because hardly anyone has played it since it was removed from Steam after the publisher ran out of CD Keys and weren't able to generate any more.

To tie this back in to Star Citizen though, it just means that while usually a very protracted development cycle is a bad thing, sometimes it still ends up making a good game. NuDoom was originally announced in 2008 and went through extensive reworks. Shenmue started life as Virtua Fighter RPG for the Sega Saturn but ended up hitting an entirely different console seven years later. Both Prey games took 11 years to make. Team Fortress 2 (love it or hate it) took just shy of a decade and went through multiple ground up reworks.

SmokeStacks on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Prey 2006 was sort like, Half Life 2 but with alien buttholes, portal shenanigans, and a bow and arrow. I firmly believe that the only reason it's not more widely applauded is because hardly anyone has played it since it was removed from Steam after the publisher ran out of CD Keys and weren't able to generate any more.

To tie this back in to Star Citizen though, it just means that while usually a very protracted development cycle is a bad thing, sometimes it still ends up making a good game. NuDoom was originally announced in 2008 and went through extensive reworks. Shenmue started life as Virtua Fighter RPG for the Sega Saturn but ended up hitting an entirely different console seven years later. Both Prey games took 11 years to make. Team Fortress 2 (love it or hate it) took just shy of a decade and went through multiple ground up reworks.

Freelancer turned out pretty decent.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

I don't chip in on this thread much because I'm not a backer, but I do want to play this game when it comes out and I've followed it since the kickstarter days. I'm also a heavy player of Elite: Dangerous approaching 500 hours, so I'm a space sim dude for sure (although obviously not a mega-expert like those with 10000 hours or anything).

The problem people like me have with Star Citizen, and the reason it feels a little bit scammy is because a lot of the stuff that defenders of this are calling 'scope-creep' I see as post-release features: DLC or expansion content. Every time I check in on this game I wonder why the game doesn't appear to be any closer to launch, and why their latest scope-creep content NEEDS to be launch-date content. Like the latest thing about caves. I think it looks cool. But did it need to be in the game at launch? Is launch being pushed back further because of it? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

Like I guess what I'm asking is, did they NEED to spend $235mil and the better part of a decade for the release of the game, or could we have already received a great game 2-3 years ago, for 135Mil and then been given 100mil worth of content updates for the last 2 or 3 years? I don't know the answer to that question. Things like that CGI commercial for a new ship (jump 890) for players to buy, which costs something like a thousand real life dollars to buy is insane to me. Why are they still raising money for this game? Why are they spending resources to create CGI commercials in order to get people to spend more money on a game that's not out with no release date?

Hey maybe there are some really good explanations for all of this. And I hope the game comes out and is awesome. But some of the decision making around what they're doing internally is pretty baffling.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    My memory of the early times is fuzzy, but wasn't a lot of the stretch goals "this thing we're planning to add anyway will be upgraded to an at-launch feature"?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I would be far less concerned with the feature creep if I got the sense that the money is going to be able to comfortably support the dev team for the foreseeable future. The continual fundraising just reminds me of Telltale or 38 Studios where one missed cash infusion could possibly topple everything.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    My memory of the early times is fuzzy, but wasn't a lot of the stretch goals "this thing we're planning to add anyway will be upgraded to an at-launch feature"?
    Yes, but Chris Roberts is planning for more or less everything to be in this game, so that's effectively not really saying anything.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Why are they still raising money for this game? Why are they spending resources to create CGI commercials in order to get people to spend more money on a game that's not out with no release date?

Pretty much because people are still throwing money at it. I don't think it's a desperate cash grab so much as utilizing an active revenue stream.

You can look at something like the recent superyacht and think "that's crazy" (which is certainly a valid reaction) but then I see pictures on Reddit of people having yacht parties with 10 of them lined up. The best thing to do is realize those people apparently have a bunch of disposable income and be happy they're spending it to keep development going, while sitting back and being cautiously optimistic.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

The other thing to consider is the window of opportunity. 10 years ago, the Space Sim/Game space was dead quiet. Now, there's all sorts of options out there, a couple of which have already been mentioned. And there's many more indie games, as well as projects also on the horizon.

Yes, you have to put out a great game, but your great game is always going to be compared to something else. A few years ago, there was no comparison to what Star Citizen was trying to do. Now, there's a lot, and it raises the bar for expectations on what Star Citizen needs to be. And maybe that's part of the debate internally...they knew it was going to take a long time, and so they've been proactive in increasing the scope of the game so that it can compete when it's released in the next few years. But the risk there is not knowing for sure what the landscape for space sims is going to look like in 2021 and beyond when this game actually comes to market.

A "good" space game right now is "excellent". A "great" space game in 5 years might only be "average". And SC is always going to have the, "They spent $300 million and this is it?" baggage that comes along with it.

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I had an urge to reinstall Star Citizen, but I was able to resist by watching Youtube videos instead. Half of them were a bit too “frat bro” for my tastes, but it was interesting to see some of the big battles that can happen (air and ground at the same time).

What’s sad is I’ll probably end up not playing Star Citizen unless there‘s some way to play solo or non-PVP like Elite Dangerous. I mainly back for Squadron 42 anyways.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    CIG has maintained that you can run your own server and that players will have an option to turn PvP encounter rates up or down, so there will hopefully be at least one way there to play just coop with no PvP.

Due to the current landing bugs I've been killed way more times by my own ship than I have by being intentionally griefed. I'd recommend giving it a shot if only so you can see where it stands in development. Right now servers are capped at 50 players, and since server meshing isn't online yet that means 50 players spread out over an entire solar system, so outside of Port Olisar (the default spawning location) and Kareah (the default "come here for PVP" space station) running into another player is pretty rare.

You can get interdicted by NPC pirates, but they're easy to shoot down if you have a combat capable ship, or even easier to run away from if you don't.

Now is actually a pretty good time to get a feel for how the game plays, since there are a lot of features that are working, but persistence isn't in the game yet (meaning if your ship explodes and you die there is no penalty except having to wait a few minutes for your ship to respawn). If you're carrying cargo you'll lose it if your ship is destroyed, but there are wipes with the quarterly updates so the money you have in the game right now isn't really meaningful.

Playing solo is fun, running cargo or doing standard box missions by yourself can be very zen (I don't have a mining capable ship, but I've heard it's fairly similar), and doing missions where you explore derelict ships in space can be pretty spooky. The cities are fun to explore on foot, and the wilderness areas on planets can be very pretty (especially during a sunrise or sunset). It's a lot more fun when you link up with some friends and do space stuff together though.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

The other thing to consider is the window of opportunity. 10 years ago, the Space Sim/Game space was dead quiet. Now, there's all sorts of options out there, a couple of which have already been mentioned. And there's many more indie games, as well as projects also on the horizon.

Yes, you have to put out a great game, but your great game is always going to be compared to something else. A few years ago, there was no comparison to what Star Citizen was trying to do. Now, there's a lot, and it raises the bar for expectations on what Star Citizen needs to be. And maybe that's part of the debate internally...they knew it was going to take a long time, and so they've been proactive in increasing the scope of the game so that it can compete when it's released in the next few years. But the risk there is not knowing for sure what the landscape for space sims is going to look like in 2021 and beyond when this game actually comes to market.

A "good" space game right now is "excellent". A "great" space game in 5 years might only be "average". And SC is always going to have the, "They spent $300 million and this is it?" baggage that comes along with it.

yeah god 10 years ago there was... what, X3 and Eve?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Back when update 3.5.0 first came out, I took my Avenger out to recover my Saber that was left hovering just outside the armistice field around Lorville (my router had a hiccup and I got disconnected). While trying to pull up the starmap and figure out where I was going, I got a RL phone call. So, I muted the game and started gabbing. When I got the call, I was already underway and had flown outside of the armistice field around Port Olisar...and somebody decided to come around and was poking at my ship with their laser cannons. Now, to this day, I have no idea if it was a real player, whether they were idly poking at me because I looked AFK (I was), or what...but I don't take kindly to folks poking my flying space penguin.

What happened next was I whipped around, leveled my distortion cannons and opened up on them. As soon as the hull started taking damage, I spun up the Tigerstrike gatling cannon and I don't think they even had time to figure out that I wasn't AFK anymore. Then it was just quantum driving back to Lorville to try to figure out how to get back into the cockpit of a hovering Saber...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Gave in and tried it out. Uninstalled 15 minutes later. I will pretend none of those buggy 15 minutes happened and stick to my no playing early access rule.

I was initially against the caves thing. But then I realized that it's probably just an easy spinoff of the tech they used to make the procedural planets look less procedural. I remember watching a video where they were using those tools to sculpt the terrain to their designs in building an outpost to make the area less barren, so it probably doesn't take that much turn it into a cave building system.

All you can do is sit back and wait anyway regardless of what you think of the cave system. If you want to whine and moan, it would be far more productive to do it on the official forums where the devs might hear you and possibly care.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    According to the road map the caves are already 86% done. So I'm inclined to agree that it shouldn't be too much of a detour.

• LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Had a video from last year's Citizencon recommended to me going through the tech they're using to build out the various gas clouds you'll come across. From what they were saying they're basing it on the same modular assembly tech they're using to create various space stations. Which is the same tech they're using for their caves. So they're utilizing the same tech across multiple areas of the game world, with different art assets of course. Would be amusing if it bugged out and a cave suddenly gave way to an interplanetary nebula.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    Gave in and tried it out. Uninstalled 15 minutes later. I will pretend none of those buggy 15 minutes happened and stick to my no playing early access rule.

Which bugs did you get? I managed to get about an hour or so before I hit enough of them to put me off for a while.

Campy wrote: »

Which bugs did you get? I managed to get about an hour or so before I hit enough of them to put me off for a while.

I crashed immediately after sitting in pilot chair, I crashed while flying around Port Olisar figuring out buttons, and I crashed while in quantum warp. Are you not supposed to get out of the chair while in flight? It looked like warp was going to take awhile so I thought I'd get up and poke around the ship, but I could only face away from the pilot chair, no turning around. I didn't count stuttering because the game is still early access and I figure it wasn't fully optimized yet.

I'll wait until release before playing again. I figure S42 will have tutorial missions that will do better than what they have now.

• LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    You should be able to get out of your chair in any ship with an interior. Although it can be rather unreliable right now, there’s pretty high odds of falling out of your ship and being left floating a few million km from anywhere.

Campy wrote: »

I crashed immediately after sitting in pilot chair, I crashed while flying around Port Olisar figuring out buttons, and I crashed while in quantum warp. Are you not supposed to get out of the chair while in flight? It looked like warp was going to take awhile so I thought I'd get up and poke around the ship, but I could only face away from the pilot chair, no turning around. I didn't count stuttering because the game is still early access and I figure it wasn't fully optimized yet.

I'll wait until release before playing again. I figure S42 will have tutorial missions that will do better than what they have now.

Do you have 16GB of RAM and an SSD? Not having one or both can make the game less stable. If you crash and then start the game again right after it will try and put you in the same server you were in when you crashed (to make it easier to jump back in with friends/party members), so if the server was bugging out that might explain why you crashed three times in a row.

You can get out of your chair while in quantum, but right now there isn't really a lot you can do except wander around your ship. There's a new patch coming relatively soon (it's currently being tested by players that are in a specific early patch testing group), likely within 1-2 weeks. If you want to give it a shot again after it hits I would be up for it or I'm sure we can find someone here in the thread who will join a game with you and walk you through the basics, show you some of the cooler areas in the universe, etc.

I can say in my few hours of play in the most recent patch, I didn't have a single crash. I did have some bugs, but nothing too bad. I did several trips from Olisar to Levski, which is a good several minutes, and I got out of my chair for most of them. Thankfully I never fell out of my ship. I would typically go lay in the bed of my 300i and watch the warp effects from the sky window. One thing I would like is some sort of notification that you are approaching your destination, like maybe a minute before, so you can make your way back to the cockpit. Though with interdictions, you're probably intended to be there anyway.

Maybe I'll give it another try when that patch hits. I understand group missions will be better by then. I'll just tag along in someone's multi-crew ship.

Group missions are in the new patch, but the reward money will be split evenly among people in your party, so if you have a big group you're not gonna make much on a job by job basis. Still though, it will be the first steps toward true multi-crew missions, and hopefully they have some missions that might be a little more difficult but that pay better. Certain missions will be a lot faster and easier (especially stuff like clearing bunkers or responding to distress beacons from ships under attack by pirates) if you're in a group, so it might not be all bad in terms of total money made over time.

I wouldn't mind playing around with the group stuff, but I don't really see myself giving this any kind of real playtime until you can actually keep the money you earn through the next patch.

I ended up trying again. Fortunately, the game files didn't get deleted when uninstalling the launcher. Was able to play for 45 minutes with no crashes or bugs as all until the end. I managed to land at Arccorp, in one of those side hangers, without crashing, but couldn't refuel. I blame that on logging back into the middle of nowhere in space. I gues the game resumed my last session, but when I landed and checked out the ship retrieval, there was an option to claim the ship. I guess the game didn't recognize that as my ship due to the whole logout/login thing.

I'd be interested in playing for a bit after the next patch with some PA peeps.

I ended up trying again. Fortunately, the game files didn't get deleted when uninstalling the launcher. Was able to play for 45 minutes with no crashes or bugs as all until the end. I managed to land at Arccorp, in one of those side hangers, without crashing, but couldn't refuel. I blame that on logging back into the middle of nowhere in space. I gues the game resumed my last session, but when I landed and checked out the ship retrieval, there was an option to claim the ship. I guess the game didn't recognize that as my ship due to the whole logout/login thing.

I'd be interested in playing for a bit after the next patch with some PA peeps.

I don't think refueling currently works in hangars, only on landing pads at the various rest stops.

You also can't currently store a ship that you land in a hangar, so the only option you'll have is Claim. That will basically destroy your ship and get a new one. It's currently free to do expedited, which takes about 2 minutes.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Thinking about it, those that pay attention to this outside of reading posts in here: gimme an @ when the Reclaimer's salvage stuff gets implemented and I'll patch up and we can get a crew together to try it out. Iirc we only had 2 of them in the shame fleet.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Thinking about it, those that pay attention to this outside of reading posts in here: gimme an @ when the Reclaimer's salvage stuff gets implemented and I'll patch up and we can get a crew together to try it out. Iirc we only had 2 of them in the shame fleet.

I have one too!

...I think? It's been awhile :P

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Freelancer turned out pretty decent.

Maybe not the best example to bring up here considering what happened during development, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I keep breaking my no early access rule.

I was able to play for an hour last night before getting dropped back to the main menu mid flight.

This time I tried the Connie and took a delivery contract. Spent a comical minute spinning in a circle before realizing the hanger door is up. Successfully landed at the mining outpost and picked up the package. Even though it was only one tiny box, I still used the cargo door to load it. During take off, my HUD got messed up. Probably should have quit here.

I then proceeded to Quantum Warp three times. Interdicted twice in a row and got dropped to the main menu 30 seconds into the third warp.

When I relogged, woke up in bed back on Arccorp as if it was all a dream.

I’d be up to tagging along with someone else for a short while. I spent some of my free money buying armor and guns.

This discussion has been closed.