As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surface Pro 3 network adapter failure

So my Surface Pro 3 has generally had zero connectivity problems until today, when I've been getting this message:

"The Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems"

This makes it impossible to connect to any networks, as there is no physical Ethernet port on an SP3.

This could be a driver issue, and after uninstalling the driver (which automatically reinstalls itself) multiple times and then doing a "networking reset" as an administrator, as per the troubleshooter, and then a hard reset, I got it working again for the whole day, long enough to telework.

But after the fucking thing turned itself off later tonight, the issue recurred, and now no solution seems to work. I even did a system reset to reinstall Windows and erase application installs while keeping my files.

The only recently change is the installation of the Shrewsoft VPN client to get access to my workplace network, which is now uninstalled to no avail.

Is this a hardware failure? Am I just fucked? What can I do here? I can connect my phone to the Surface but I'm not sure I can use an internet connection over USB, and that's not sustainable anyway. I don't want to be stuck using a dongle to get a clumsy wired connection.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Is it still under warranty? It does sound like a hardware issue.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's secondhand from eBay, though with minimal and possibly zero use, so definitely not under warranty.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's secondhand from eBay, though with minimal and possibly zero use, so definitely not under warranty.

You don't necessarily need to be the original owner.
    Might as well punch the serial into here and see what it says. https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/check-warranty

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies