As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    HD Pokemon

And not a port!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    They definitely snuck that Pokemon Switch confirmation in there just to assuage the fires of hatred that were spewing from people who had hyped themselves up on Pokemon Stars rumors.

I wonder if it is going to be a late 2018 release, or a 2019 release. 2018 just seems so soon, but there was only a 1 year gap between Black2/White2 and XY, and the Pokemon Battle models from the 3DS games are almost certainly going to be returning on the Switch game, so that probably cuts down on a lot of development time.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm kinda leaning towards early 2019, but who knows.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    At E3 Ishihara said there will be a "core" Pokemon game on the switch. But more than a year out. So yay!

Finally

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I wonder if it will even be Stars

With ultra coming out this year that would mean the same game/location getting made three times in as many years, not exactly a great look.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sounds like it'll probably be generation 8

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pokemon Wool and Pokemon Linen.

Weight-based weight-classes would be dumb. All pokemon are lightweights.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Stars and Grey

Lost but not forgotten.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Pokémon Ultraviolet and Infrared.

With new Ultra Beasts you find using a special visor. Unless they find you first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubjvigZCdH4

Infrared and UV Kecleons would be nice as regional variants.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Third versions / Remakes are largely a way to squeeze more money out of the engine and assets they create for the first games in a generation. There is practically no way they build up Switch-level assets and push them out on Pokemon Stars / Pokemon DP Remakes. It's going to be Generation 8.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Third versions / Remakes are largely a way to squeeze more money out of the engine and assets they create for the first games in a generation. There is practically no way they build up Switch-level assets and push them out on Pokemon Stars / Pokemon DP Remakes. It's going to be Generation 8.

Eh. Black/White 2 felt like that, but Emerald and Platinum were legitimate huge improvements over the previous games in their gen, and are two of my favorite games in the series. I'm a little sad they left the Two Main Games -- Remakes -- Third Main Game cycle they had for 3 and 4, that felt really solid.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    D/P Sinnoh region is not my favorite region, but prior to Sun/Moon, my Diamond cartridge was the game I invested the most time into, so I've got a strong nostalgia connection to that game, and I'm looking forward to a remake at some point, but I guess I'm not really in any rush to get there. Since 3DS is backwards compatible with regular DS, my existing D/P cartridges still work without needing to fire up old hardware.

Heck, I'm planning a B2/W2 playthrough soon, as I never really got into those. I finished B/W and barely even touched the sequels. So after I'm satisfied with my dex progress and battling in Sun/Moon, I'll start a new game in the Unova region.

• Options
    Today's the last day to sign up for the Tiny Tourney! Head on over to the Global Link to register. We CAN use Pokemon from past games (Pokemon Bank = Okay), so go ahead and bring all of your old friends, fight in at least 3 battles, and earn Galladite, Gardevoirite, and Lopunnite Mega Stones.

I don't have a proper team ready for it but I am super excited to see what kinds of things people have properly whipped up.

• Options
    This is my first tournament I've ever signed up for or will participate in. I'm super pumped. I've been working on breeding a team just for this for the past 3 weeks since it was announced.

I'll probably lose horribly, but I've had a lot of fun just prepping for it. Tonight will be spent grinding some levels to get those last few abilities I need.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Just popped in to see what was new, and squeaked in a reg for Tiny Tourney! My team is total garbage, but WHO CARES GARDEVIORITE

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Uh oh. I made a grave mistake in my team building. My Eevee that is intended to become Sylveon has too many hearts. I accidentally just evolved it into an Espeon. I didn't realize until it was too late that Sylveon only evolves at 2 hearts.

Is there... is there a way to get my Pokemon to lose hearts? My save is before the evolution, but the hearts are already locked in. Only way this is gonna happen is if I can somehow remove hearts. Otherwise my team just lost it's fairy type and god dammit what the fuck. Two hearts only? What is that shit?!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Uh oh. I made a grave mistake in my team building. My Eevee that is intended to become Sylveon has too many hearts. I accidentally just evolved it into an Espeon. I didn't realize until it was too late that Sylveon only evolves at 2 hearts.

Is there... is there a way to get my Pokemon to lose hearts? My save is before the evolution, but the hearts are already locked in. Only way this is gonna happen is if I can somehow remove hearts. Otherwise my team just lost it's fairy type and god dammit what the fuck. Two hearts only? What is that shit?!

I don't get what you're saying here. You achieved Sylveon's evolve condition and got Espeon? Any which way just give them an everstone and when you're ready to evolve teach it a Fairy move and I think it should evolve into Sylveon.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Can't you just spam 'b' (or is it 'a'?) to interrupt and cancel the evolution?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

Can't you just spam 'b' (or is it 'a'?) to interrupt and cancel the evolution?

I've had that spontaneously not work for me so I just stick with everstones to be safe.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Sylveon will evolve with 2+ hearts in Pokemon Refresh AND while knowing a Fairy Type move. If it doesn't hit one of those qualifiers, it becomes Espeon/Umbreon.

Just like how you get Leafeon IF you are near Mossy Rock, Glaceon IF you are near Icy Rock, etc.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Oh, then maybe I just didn't know a fairy type move. Maybe I'm not in trouble. The guide I was reading failed to mention that it needs to know a fairy type move. It just said you have to have 2 hearts. And the way the guide made it sound, you had to have exactly two hearts. So with maxed harts I got an Espeon and I was freaking out that I had too many hearts to make it work.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Espeon means you got its Friendship value to 220 during the day, which is different from Affection

If you teach your Eevee a Fairy-move and level it up, it will hopefully prioritize evolving into Sylveon over Espeon

If you still get Espeon, you just have to feed it something to lower its Friendship

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Espeon means you got its Friendship value to 220 during the day, which is different from Affection

If you teach your Eevee a Fairy-move and level it up, it will hopefully prioritize evolving into Sylveon over Espeon

If you still get Espeon, you just have to feed it something to lower its Friendship

(such as the herbal medicine)

Also pretty sure it's not exactly two hearts to get Sylveon, that'd be super silly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I got the situation under control. I just had to get my Eevee to 9 and learn Baby Doll Eyes. Problem solved.

Hopefully I can get these new things leveled up today so I am able to participate in the tournament. It's gonna be a power leveling night.

Speaking of power leveling, I've got 4 'Mons to level. I generally do my daily Battle Buffet, but that isn't enough by itself. After battle buffet, what do you guys do for levels? In the past, I've just gone to Poni Island, gone to the Battle Tree, and then run around in the grassy area right outside the Tree. The wild Pokemon outside the Battle Tree are 56-58 and provide a decent XP flow, but I'm just curious if there's a faster way.

I know E4 would probably be faster, but with needing to Powerlevel 4 at once, I don't think I've got a strong enough two to carry a team through the E4.

• Options
    Hopefully I can get these new things leveled up today so I am able to participate in the tournament. It's gonna be a power leveling night.

If all your after is the rewards, not wins, then there's no need to power level. All pokemon are set to level 50, whether they're 1 or 100. I've got one loss, on my way to two more!

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I always facetank the E3 when I want levels, because that's when I open up the Pokebank and bring out my star murderers. Also because the clothes in the fancy mall cost millions of fucking dollars.

• Options
    akjak wrote: »

If all your after is the rewards, not wins, then there's no need to power level. All pokemon are set to level 50, whether they're 1 or 100. I've got one loss, on my way to two more!

Well, I needed the levels to learn moves because I have no heart scales right now.

• Options

Well, I needed the levels to learn moves because I have no heart scales right now.

Go to the restaurants, pick the last option on the menu. The kahuna will show up and throw some heart scales at you AND pay for your food- the Ula'Ula Restaurant is the best because Nanu gives you 8 Heart Scales. You can do it every day.

• Options
    TDawg wrote: »

Go to the restaurants, pick the last option on the menu. The kahuna will show up and throw some heart scales at you AND pay for your food- the Ula'Ula Restaurant is the best because Nanu gives you 8 Heart Scales. You can do it every day.

Good tip. I had no idea this was a thing. I also have no idea what you mean when you say restaurants. Are you talking about the Masalada places?

On another topic - is anyone else having trouble connecting to the online play right now? I got all my dudes to the levels needed to learn their moves, and I'm ready to battle in this tournament. But each time I try to connect I'm getting error code 001-0803.

I know my overall Nintendo wifi connection is working because I was able to get on the eShop without incident. It's only inside Pokemon that I'm having trouble connecting.

• Options
    Not the Malasada place. They all look a bit different- just go around, find a restaurant that offers different "Set" Meals, pick the last on the list, and they'll sit you down and you'll get a cutscene.

• Options
    Battle Report #1 on the Tiny Tourney

Match 1 - Didn't go so well. Opponent had a Hazer and a Steel type in their lineup, and they predicted my Evoboost strategy and shut me down instantly. Tank Clefairy got super effective murdered by Excadrill on turn 1, and my Evoboost got Hazed away as soon as I cast it. So that was a big ol' fail.

Match 2 - Managed to get my Evoboost off, still got my face kicked in. My fault. I was stupid and put my Evoboost baton pass onto my own Excadrill because he had my ground type attack, and I was switching into double fire. Forgot that Excadrill is also steel type and his face got melted off as soon as he switched in, thus ending my Evoboost.

Noob mistakes all around, but hey, I'm a noob.

• Options
    Ok, I've got a big problem. In my new playthrough, I left Aether Paradise before doing the mission. Now I can't get back. I can't fly there, and internet says to go from Malie City... But that whole island is blacked out.

Wat do?

• Options
    Ok - what just happened here.

I was in an animation for Evoboost, and that thing lasts WAY TOO LONG so I looked away from my 3DS for a few seconds. And when I looked back, the enemy team had taken at least 1 turn. They did something to my Clefairy that made it have no moves. Turn 2 and 3 it was only able to use struggle. What the hell would have locked me out of 100% of my moves?

• Options
    Also, holy crap I'm bad at Pokemon battling.

Like jesus christ I have no idea what I'm doing here. I thought I would at least have a fighting chance in a few of these matches since I put so much time into breeding, EV training, and researching my team. But nope. Not at all. I am getting completely smooshed here.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Also, holy crap I'm bad at Pokemon battling.

Like jesus christ I have no idea what I'm doing here. I thought I would at least have a fighting chance in a few of these matches since I put so much time into breeding, EV training, and researching my team. But nope. Not at all. I am getting completely smooshed here.

Prediction and understanding of the metagame are another skillset you'll have to put time into if you wanna "git gud", like knowing the most likely version of Excadrill you're going to see based on the other pokemon in the team or its held item, for instance. Its probably the hardest part because is entirely on you. You can't breed or train better knowledge, you just have to lose a bunch and do bunches of research. The trade off to that is you learn better strategies that you can employ yourself, and gives you new breeding/training goals which feeds into the infinite loop of new pokemon teams/breeding perfect pokes which you can then turn around and trade the 4 IV breedjects for other breedjects to get a leg up on new projects...

It goes deep yo. Welcome to pokemon!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Ok - what just happened here.

I was in an animation for Evoboost, and that thing lasts WAY TOO LONG so I looked away from my 3DS for a few seconds. And when I looked back, the enemy team had taken at least 1 turn. They did something to my Clefairy that made it have no moves. Turn 2 and 3 it was only able to use struggle. What the hell would have locked me out of 100% of my moves?

Sounds like they used Taunt on you- it causes Pokemon to only be able to use Attacking moves (so a lot of your Clefairy's moves were no-gos). This is why, even though Clefairy isn't very strong, most sets usually still have Moonblast or Ice Beam.

Sounds like you are thinking critically and trying to learn from your mistakes, which is the best thing you can be doing right now.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    My biggest complaint about this tournament format is actually two related and interlinked problems I have with the setup.

Part 1) They don't show you your rating until you queue for a match. There's two fucking screens. Put my rating somewhere on the screen for me to see it. I should not have to queue for a match just to see how much I went up or down last match. Part 2) I can't withdraw from the matchmaker once it begins searching for a game. If all I want to do is check my rating, why do I get forced into playing another match?

I suck at this game. There's no hiding that. I'm new to training, this is my first ever real competition, and I did not expect to do well. But! After all my losses, I had a string of good wins. And I managed to restore my rating to an even 1500. I could have ended where I began. And I would have been happy with that. I was at 29 games played when that happened. But guess what? I had to queue for a match just to learn that I had fixed my rating. And then I lost. Well of course I don't want to end in the negative (where 1500 is the mean), so then I have to play again to once again try to restore the rating. But I lost. Again. So now my rating is tanking again, all because their fucking stupid shit interface makes me play a god damn game just to see what my rating is. Yes. I'm upset. Yes it's just a stupid game. Yes I'm still having fun and learning, despite these frustrations and losses. I just would have liked to have stopped at an even rating. 29 games played and 1500 rating would have been totally ok with me. 33 games played and 1450 rating is not ok with me.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Also, is there a way to permanently disable them asking me to save a video?

No, I don't want to save a video of that match. I never want to save a video of the match.

And if I decide in the future that I do want to save a match, I will willingly go back into the interface and turn it on again. Just stop asking me right now, game, because the answer is always NO and I'm tired of answering this fucking question every match. It's annoying.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Sorry for triple post.

I'm just aggravated with this despite it all. (And yes, I'm still having fun too)

I'm irritated that Kartana is allowed. Why are Ultra Beasts not considered legendary? My whole strategy for this was Eevee Evoboost with Clefairy covering as tank and support. Well with every god damn team out there having a guaranteed Steel type on the front line, I never even get a chance. My entire strategy is shot before every match even begins. I'm basically only playing with 4 pokemon in this tournament because I can't field the two that I specifically prepared for the tournament.

Edit: Just pushed my rating back up to what I'm presuming is over 1500, but I don't know because I'm not going to queue for another match to see. I was at 1492 before the match, so I'm just guessing I ended at like 1503 or something. But because their interface is retarded and doesn't show me my rating till I queue, I have no way of knowing for sure. But I'm gonna call it good. 35 or 36 games played, ended with a (barely) positive rating. Not sure on total games played, because for some fucking reason they don't show you any of your stats except when you're waiting in queue. How dumb.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    I'm with you on most of that. I got my three losses and was like, "yep, that's exactly what I expect"

I go in with guys that have buffs or whatever, and they're *all* well bred (I'm pretty good at breeding). Do I have time to actually put up Stockpile or Iron Defense? No... One shot before I even move. I get a move off actually? Barely scratches them, even if it's super effective.

I have accepted that I will never be good at Pokemon PvP.

So come to me if you want guys bred for battling, but don't expect me to actually be able to use any of the good stuff I can make.