As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your team and strategy?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your team and strategy?

Mine was supposed to be Eevee with Evoboost and Baton Pass. Clefairy with Follow Me, Protect, Heal Pulse, and Minimize. Total tank and support. Idea being to protect and buff while Eevee brings in someone for killing. Biggest problem I ran into is that like 70% of the teams I encountered were running a Kartana, and my tank died in 1 hit.

My back line was actually really strong. And I won a few matches with the handicap of only having 4 to choose from if the enemy team had a Kartana. Because let's face it. Everybody who had a Kartana on their team opened with it. Like every stinking time.

My back line was:

Chandelure with Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Psychic, and Energy Ball.
    Excadrill with Dig, Smart Strike, Rock Slide, and Rapid Spin
    Galvantula with Lightning, Bug Buzz, Infestation, and Agility
    Sylveon with Moon Blast, Psyshock, Baby Doll Eyes, and Misty Terrain

As a post-battle analysis of my own team, Sylveon was the weakest point for back row options. That's not to say I didn't have some good opportunities to Moon Blast some things. With 35 or 36 games played, everyone got their fair share. But too many Kartanas (and Excadrills) on the field meant that Sylveon was often not a good pick. There also weren't really any dragon types in this tournament. I saw maybe one Sliggoo in my entire 35 games.

My honest to god biggest weakness was Azurill with Aquajet. My strongest two sweepers were Chandelure and Excadrill and both would get 1-shot by Aqua Jet. So that was rough. Dig helped out a bit there. I caught people off guard quite a bit with that move because I know it doesn't see much competitive play. So Dig was actually a big point in my favor just because of the unexpected nature of it. I also caught a number of people off guard with Energy Ball on Chandelure. That was a pretty unexpected big hit.

Eevee and Clefairy worked like a dream against those rare few teams that didn't have a steel type. I got to the point where if I saw Kartana or Excadrill on the enemy team, I would just immediately shelf my Evoboost strategy and just run with my other 4 in some combination. But man. When it worked, it worked awesome. Most of my Evoboost victories were a 4-0 sweep with no losses on my side.

And I learned to adapt to my handicap. With only having 4 to pick from in most matches, I just learned how to anticipate and predict what the enemy would start with. Kartana was always a starter, so that meant I played Chandelure first a lot. Galvantula saw a lot of starts too, because nobody expects the Spanish (Bug) inquisition. I ran into trouble sometimes against Mimikyu because Shadow Sneak was pretty rude and gave them an advantage against my Chandelure.

I actually had run out of time. I knew Mimikyu would appear a lot -- and it did -- but it took me forever to breed my Clefairy, and I never did end up with a great one. The one I had to go with was like 29 in HP because I was never able to get the right spread in breeding. Either HP was always a couple points off, or one of the defenses. And I went with the Clefairy that was 31 in Def and Sp. Def. So anyway, I ran out of time in my breeding, but I really wanted to put an Alolan Muk on my team as a ghost buster, but that didn't happen. If I had more time to prepare, I would have dropped Sylveon and brought Muk.

The four back-row options I brought had really good type coverage, and typing wasn't my issue. My issue was really just that I felt like I was down by two options on a lot of fights because I couldn't run Eevee+Clefairy, due to the Kartana and/or Excadrill threat.

But I'm also assuming that since I ended up right around 1500 for rating (probably just over), I probably ended up splitting my wins/losses about 50/50 which isn't terrible, considering it was my first attempt, I have very little PVP experience, and I was playing with a situational handicap a lot. I made it work.

Gonna keep breeding more pokemon so in the future when the next tournament rolls around, I'll be better prepared. I think I'll probably also just go for a more balanced team next time instead of running a gimmick. Because while Evoboost worked very well when it did work, my experience was that it didn't get enough opportunities to even make it into the game.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I mean, this tournament was a "hey lets have some fun!", Tiny Tourney isn't a metagame format that the game designers balanced around. There are always gonna be a few crazy outliers.

If you're still interested in making Eevoboost work, you should definitely check out Giovanni Costa's BeliEevee Series on Youtube. He is a good VGC player dedicated to making Eevee Teams work, so I am sure you can gain some insight. It isn't the strongest team, but from what I have seen it is actually viable, which is awesome.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    What's everyone doing? World Championships are coming up and I am excited, and I've finally been chomping at catching Legendaries- I'm trying to get HP Ice Modest Xurkitree right now, which is fun. Now that I don't have to worry about IVs, I'm actually kind of enjoying the Hidden Power reset game, in a weird, perverse way.

NOTABLE EVENTS:

Defend Your Title Global Mission
    Basically, how many times can you fight against the Elite Four? This is actually a bit of a hassle so I am curious if people will pounce on it like they have others. This ends Monday, so make sure you hop on for the FC + Moon Ball.

Weakness Cup
    The next tournament is a Doubles Tournament where only Pokemon with 5+ Weaknesses can compete! To top it off, the only items permitted are Weakness Policy and Supereffective Berries (found on Poni Island)!

Prizes
    You can get the Tiny Tourney Prize now, and the prize for the Fishing Global Mission (FC + Net Ball).

• Options
    Weaknesses cup sounds interesting.

Is this Ice type's time to shine?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Dumb question... How do I get my Tiny Tourney prizes?

Also, I look forward to building another team, thinking I have a chance, and taking my 3 losses and going home. PvP Pokemon is very frustrating, and really no fun. When I usually get OHKO'd every single turn, mind-reading seems to be the relevant skill.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    akjak wrote: »
    Dumb question... How do I get my Tiny Tourney prizes?

Also, I look forward to building another team, thinking I have a chance, and taking my 3 losses and going home. PvP Pokemon is very frustrating, and really no fun. When I usually get OHKO'd every single turn, mind-reading seems to be the relevant skill.

If you log into the Pokemon GL, you should find a link to a serial code that you put in Mystery Gift.

Yes, it is 100% too convoluted, and it should deliver it to you as soon as you connect online in-game.

Mind-Reading kind of becomes "knowing the metagame", which is harder with the theme tournaments since there isn't an established metagame. There is certainly an element of surprise but once you know what certain Pokemon do, it becomes easier. But theonly way to get better is to play the game enough to familiarize yourself with it, which is the main reason why I think the QR codes are the best thing they've added this generation: you can play with all sorts of teams under all sorts of circumstances, with no grinding etc.

TDawg on
  • Options
    You can get a Shiny Tapu Koko from Mystery Gift (holding Electric Seed)! It is nature-locked to be Timid, so now's your chance to easily get a top-tier competitive Pokemon! Or just a cool Pokemon.

Instructions:
    From the Main Menu (before you load your save), choose
    >Mystery Gift.
    >Receive Gift
    >Get via Internet

And it will search and download the wonder card for you! Then you just pick it up from the deliveryman in any Pokemon Center in-game.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Well hey now i have a "Legit" Shiny Tapu koko now to go with my obviously hacked ones i got from Wonder trade.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Shiny get! Do wish it had baseline EVs, but otherwise very cool of them to give it a good nature.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    New Mega code for those who missed it SABLEVOLANT for Tyranitarite, Abomasite, Manectite, and Aggronite.

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hey everyone! Been a while, but I wanted to see what sets people are thinking for Weakness Cup.

Here's mine:
    Greninja, Whimsicott (doesn't know Beat up), Chandelure, Breloom, then uncertain of my final two. I have a Weavile but it can't learn Fake Out. Suggestions?

QuantumShaddow on
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Oh crap. I forgot all about that tournament. Been real busy with moving and such and haven't had any time for Pokemon lately.

I need to remember to register tonight.

Unrelated -- Aren't we due for some real info on Ultra Sun/Moon like at any time now? If those games are due out in November, now is the time to get the hype train rolling.

At the Treehouse event during E3, details were sparse, but it sounds to me like we might be getting a few more Alolan forms (my own speculation) and maybe a few more Z-Powers. They were super vague so who knows what new stuff they actually have planned.

Since the original Sun and Moon had a strong emphasis on the Ultra Beasts, and the Ultra Dimension, I'm guessing those things will tie in very heavily with these Ultra games.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yeah, we'll probably hear something about the games soon. Don't expect the same biweekly news cycle we got before Sun & Moon though; after all, there probably isn't that much to reveal, really.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Yeah, I 100% forgot about the weakness cup. I've been playing lots of Pokemon GO this past week, and I'll be going on a small road trip with some friends over the weekend...I'll try to get a few matches in, but I don't have a specific team prepared so it'll be me reaching into my grab-bag of already prepared Pokemon.
    Maz- wrote: »
    Yeah, we'll probably hear something about the games soon. Don't expect the same biweekly news cycle we got before Sun & Moon though; after all, there probably isn't that much to reveal, really.

Ugh, the Sun/Moon Hype Train was so good, but we aren't going to get that level of substantial information at all. The game comes out in November, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until September to hear anything concrete about it again.

Apparently Game Freak said that the Switch Pokemon Mainline game will be "2018 or later", surprising literally nobody.

• Options
    Ok, have a Togetic but it can't learn Tailwind. Should I keep Defog or switch to Thunderwave?

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    TDawg wrote: »
    Yeah, I 100% forgot about the weakness cup. I've been playing lots of Pokemon GO this past week, and I'll be going on a small road trip with some friends over the weekend...I'll try to get a few matches in, but I don't have a specific team prepared so it'll be me reaching into my grab-bag of already prepared Pokemon.

Ugh, the Sun/Moon Hype Train was so good, but we aren't going to get that level of substantial information at all. The game comes out in November, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until September to hear anything concrete about it again.

Apparently Game Freak said that the Switch Pokemon Mainline game will be "2018 or later", surprising literally nobody.

I went on Sunday to legend raid but couldn't catch Articuno. Hoping I may get it tomorrow as I am flying to Cedar Point for next week.

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Ok, have a Togetic but it can't learn Tailwind. Should I keep Defog or switch to Thunderwave?

Stealth Rocks is normally strong in Singles, in Weakness Cup it'll be ubiquitous I imagine. I'd keep Defog unless your team really doesn't have a problem with rocks.

I went on Sunday to legend raid but couldn't catch Articuno. Hoping I may get it tomorrow as I am flying to Cedar Point for next week.

Yeah, legendaries are pretty tough to catch. Good luck!

• Options
    Ok, I'm 9-1 so far in the Weakness Cup!

Main 4: Whimsicott (Moonblast, Tailwind, Encore, Protect), Greninja (Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam), Chandelure (Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Will-O-Wisp), Breloom (Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Protect, Spore)
    Backups: Tyranitar, Hydreigon

Wasn't expecting to have as much coverage as I have, so let's see if I can keep it up :biggrin:

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I've been replaying my copy of Soul Silver and just caught Lugia. Now I have to decide if it's worth replacing Togetic on my team. On the one hand, I never use Legendary Pokemon as a rule, immediately burying them in the darkest part of my Box like a silent trophy to be seen when paging through for something else. I've also never used Togekiss. On the other hand, Lugia is mega cool, and Togetic doesn't have much more that it's going to benefit from learning unless I evolve it into Togekiss (post-E4) and use a Heart Scale to teach it Air Slash, which still isn't exactly a great move, just good for flinch hacks thanks to Serene Grace.

Team choices are a harsh mistress.

• Options
    I did not put any time or prep into a real team for the Weakness Cup. I entered using what I had, and my team is grossly imbalanced and flawed.

Played my minimum 3 games to get the mega stones. Went 1 and 2. Not bad really, all things considered.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvkHQiRsI8

vg-usum-8-5-169-en.jpg

It's been confirmed that a new form of Lycanroc appears in the world of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon—Dusk Form. The colors of Dusk Form Lycanroc's body and eyes differ from those of previously discovered Lycanroc, Midday Form and Midnight Form.

You can't get Dusk Form Lycanroc on your team by ordinary methods, such as discovering the mysterious Pokémon in the wild.

So check back soon for news on how you can get Dusk Form Lycanroc, along with more details on the upcoming Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon games.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Good dog

I used Lycanroc in my Sun playthrough already though, don't think I'm gonna use it again in Ultra Moon.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Dusk Forme is cool - love the colors and the hybrid fur style of Day and Night combined!

I did the same as you @Maz- and I think I agree (and I still think it was a missed opportunity that Midnight Lycanroc wasn't Rock/Dark...)

QuantumShaddow on

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    So after days of trying to breed a proper Salandit, I finally got my 5IV female Salandit (fantastic in Attack and perfect in the rest)!!!!!!!

QuantumShaddow on

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    So after days of trying to breed a proper Salandit, I finally got my 5IV female Salandit (fantastic in Attack and perfect in the rest)!!!!!!!

That does not sound like a fun endeavor. How many perfect males have you thrown away in the meantime?

• Options
    Does dusk form imply dawn form?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Hopefully.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Dawn form is being reserved for Super Ultra Sun/Moon.

• Options
    CesareB wrote: »

That does not sound like a fun endeavor. How many perfect males have you thrown away in the meantime?

It was not fun. I kept one perfect male which was my breeding slave, but I have TONS of 5IV males I've WTed out to people (along with maybe a couple of other perfect males, I can't remember). I have a few females and a ton of 4-5IV males still if anyone wants to tackle my feat also. Just let me know!

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I assumed dusk forme was supposed to be more like twilight forme, a mix of it's day and night formes.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think "tasogare" can be used for either, but is usually just the day to night one.

• Options
    Inspired by the new puppy, I whipped up a Rockruff. It only took a few hours nearly starting from scratch, unlike the Togedemaru that I had been slowly chipping away at for weeks prior. I've got some 4IV leftovers if anyone would like some. Just send a PM.

Rockruff
    Jolly
    HA optional
    Beast Ball (got this in wonder trade and thought it was funny)
    Fire Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Sucker Punch
    PLA wrote: »
    I think "tasogare" can be used for either, but is usually just the day to night one.

I've only ever seen it for day->night / dusk / twilight etc.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Inspired by the new puppy, I whipped up a Rockruff. It only took a few hours nearly starting from scratch, unlike the Togedemaru that I had been slowly chipping away at for weeks prior. I've got some 4IV leftovers if anyone would like some. Just send a PM.

Rockruff
    Jolly
    HA optional
    Beast Ball (got this in wonder trade and thought it was funny)
    Fire Fang
    Thunder Fang
    Sucker Punch
    PLA wrote: »

I've only ever seen it for day->night / dusk / twilight etc.

Twilight is dusk OR dawn too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    if you get a shiny dusk rockruff is it twilight sparkle?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Dawn form is being reserved for Super Ultra Sun/Moon.

Pokemon Eclipse

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    game freak is partially owned by nintendo, they will never name something in a good way. see "new 3ds" and "ultra sun/moon"...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    game freak is partially owned by nintendo, they will never name something in a good way. see "new 3ds" and "ultra sun/moon"...

I know you're being funny, but Nintendo doesn't own any part of Game Freak.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I think you're confusing it with Nintendo owning part of the Pokémon franchise.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think you're confusing it with Nintendo owning part of the Pokémon franchise.

same difference lol