As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I remember back in the day, I spent FOREVER training my Larvitar up to a Tyranitar so I could wreck my friends with it...good times.

The normal one was a catch and the shiny was hatched.* They both spent some time in the day care, until one was level 15 and the other was 22. Then I traded them for the bonus EXP.

I carefully matched up their EXP totals to within 8 points, and spent three days grinding them simultaneously in the grass outside Silver Cave until about level 45. Best wild battle EXP in the game. Then I took to synchronized sweeping the E4 and champion. After the third sweep, they both reached level 54 with roughly 100 EXP to go. Then I carefully returned to the Mt. Silver PokéCenter, to setup the video above.

*Shiny gen 2 ditto is insane, 1in 64 odds beats everything else in the entire series.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    It isn't clear here, but Ryan Reynolds is voicing Pikachu. He isn't Danny DeVito, but I will take it and I will love it, god dammit.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    The writer of Gravity Falls + One of the writers of Guardians of the Galaxy + Deadpool?

Wow, I'm kind of sold. This is bizarre in the best way.

• Options
    The Johto X Alola Competition is next weekend! Make sure your teams are ready, so you can get an easy 50 BP. I'm using my Moon game and porting them over with trading shenanigans.

• Options
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_Yi54JEUk

Pokémon Crystal out on the eShop January 26th.

Surprised this hasn't make more noise.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_Yi54JEUk

Glad I waited

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    skeldare wrote: »
    <video snip>

Glad I waited
    Hey, Crystal!
    Why is the trailer using the extremely inaccurate HGSS MIDI-based rendition of the original chiptune battle theme, instead of the real thing you'll actually hear while playing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuuR0kQIgg

There's also the octave-lower nighttime version (which was entirely left out of HGSS).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlG-uj4GMnQ

IceBurner on
  • Options
    USUM Peeps:

The Special Rockruff distribution is ending on Wednesday. The Rockruff has Fire Fang (US)/ Thunder Fang (UM), as well as Happy Time (x2 Money, Z-Happy Time also gives +1 to all stats), and evolves into Lycanroc Dusk Form. Lycanroc Dusk Form, as well as the fang moves, are all breedable, but Happy Time and Premier Balls aren't, so if you're interested you should hop on the Rockruff Train while you still can.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I don't think many people here are into the tcg, but the VS ladder rewards for this cycle include shaymin-ex (yes the good one), so if you want to play expanded now is a good time to grind.

Personally I have been running a super janked up night March list. The pyroar monstrosity I had been running isn't up to par anymore. Unfortunately I am missing a few key components for the night March list and as a result I lose games due to that. Tapu lele and shaymin-ex are expensive hence why I'm grinding it out now. That being said I certainly make misplays that I recognize mere moments after making them, and also get my share of free wins by crushing my opponent t for 200+ damage on turn 1. I really like the deck although I truly want to move into hoopa mill. I'm missing virtually everything for that list though so it'll be some time. For now I'm content to run rampant with marshadow

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is it available on PC?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    That is a nice prize for Expanded, but I only play Standard. :(
    Can't wait for Ultra Prism next month, gonna make me a Glaceon GX deck.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Is it available on PC?

Assuming you mean the tcg online yes. Supposedly there is an app as well but I've never had a device that is supported so I'm 100% PC
    Riokenn wrote: »
    That is a nice prize for Expanded, but I only play Standard. :(
    Can't wait for Ultra Prism next month, gonna make me a Glaceon GX deck.

I'm only really playing expanded currently. Not enough stuff to get into standard. Just leftovers from the last time I played

• Options
    Is it available on PC?

Yeah. Pokemon TCG Online. Also works on iPad. You can grind out booster packs, and you can scan decks / booster packs you bought in real life and get them online as well. It is a pretty cool way to casually play the game.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The PC/App TCG game is well done too. It takes the more annoying aspects of the paper game (deck searching and reshuffling) and makes them a non issue.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The PC/App TCG game is well done too. It takes the more annoying aspects of the paper game (deck searching and reshuffling) and makes them a non issue.

yeah i can't imagine playing it in real life with the deck i'm playing. i'd spend 70% of a game shuffling

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

yeah i can't imagine playing it in real life with the deck i'm playing. i'd spend 70% of a game shuffling

That is very common actually heh. In competitive decks.

• Options
    Usually if you do a combo of searches in your deck you just need the one shuffle.
    (ie: Ultra Ball for Tapu Lele GX and play it to search your deck again for a supporter. Play the supporter card to search your deck yet again. THEN you can shuffle.)

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah doesn't the Pokemon TCG have an insane amount of draw and tutors? Coming from a HS/MTG background while looking at some of the championship decklists, it just looked so degenerate.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, sometimes I wish this game had different type appeal. But it usually comes down to pick one pokemon and another that has great synergy with it. The rest are support.

I play with Primarina GX (a very bad card) and Alolan Ninetales. It isn't a good deck but ooooooh when it works it feels so good.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, sometimes I wish this game had different type appeal. But it usually comes down to pick one pokemon and another that has great synergy with it. The rest are support.

I play with Primarina GX (a very bad card) and Alolan Ninetales. It isn't a good deck but ooooooh when it works it feels so good.

as a wise forumer once said, all my decks have the theme of "devotion to bad cards"

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Usually if you do a combo of searches in your deck you just need the one shuffle.
    (ie: Ultra Ball for Tapu Lele GX and play it to search your deck again for a supporter. Play the supporter card to search your deck yet again. THEN you can shuffle.)

yeah there are physical shortcuts you could use assuming your opponent isn't being a stickler. it still seems like a lot even compared to shuffle heavy formats in other games (aka fetchlands)
    Yeah doesn't the Pokemon TCG have an insane amount of draw and tutors? Coming from a HS/MTG background while looking at some of the championship decklists, it just looked so degenerate.

that's kinda what has drawn me to it. the thing is at the theme deck level, or at the point where you have a small collection the game is completely different like holy shit there are universes that separate the "starter" game and the competitive one. the experience is just totally different. i find the base game incredibly bland and boring, but you kinda need to sometimes to complete dailies or whatever. at least until i get a larger collection.

the game is very much T1/vintage magic.

• Options
    Still miffed we didn't get the JPN exclusive Battle Boost set. Garenteed one Ultra Rare (Legendary in Hearthstone) in each pack~.

• Options
    i want to build the salazzle/seviper poison deck. seems pretty fun, but i'm quickly getting spread across too many lists for my meager collection

• Options
    Managed to grind out the second shaymin-ex. I doubt I am gonna go for the ghetsis. It will take some serious effort to try and get over 1300 more points when it is a max of 30 a piece. Not to say I won't play but i will probably shift focus back to tournaments.

I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would. It definitely has a very specific feel. You need to be in the mood for absurd high powered stuff and also randomly winning or losing since hey you drew only 1 Pokemon! There are some cool ideas I saw while laddering but it will be some time before I acquire everything necessary

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Maz- on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Why didn't anyone tell me you get the huge Totem pokémon in USUM????

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    An official site just went with upcoming legendary Pokémon distributions for 2018: https://www.pokemonlegendary.com

February 2 thru 28: Dilaga for Sun/Ultra Sun, and Palkia for Moon/Ultra Moon via Gamestop code.
    March: Heatran and Regiggias.
    April: Raikou and Entei.
    May: Xerneas and Yveltal.
    June: Shiny Zygarde.
    July: Tornadus and Thundurus.
    August: Groudon and Kyogre.
    September: Latios and Latias.
    October; Reshiram and Zekrom.
    November: Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Wording seems to indicate the first of each pair will be for Sun and Ultra Sun, while the second will be for Moon and Ultra Moon, with Shiny Zygarde in June being for all the above.

• Options
    Super excited for this event, it'll give people "extras" of version exclusive legendaries so that you can trade one. Then, when you have both, you can go to the Ultra Wormholes and grab the Third (ie bring Raikou and Entei with you, and you can catch Suicune).

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    You had me at shiny zygarde.

Three hour gamestop trips =/

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    You had me at shiny zygarde.

Three hour gamestop trips =/

If I can, I'll shmooze for you and get doubles.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    hoo boy I'm gonna have to bother you guys again for codes :P

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'll grab 1-2 extra codes as well.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    double post, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out what pokemon to breed. Aside from the rankings on the global link website, are there any recommendations on what Pokemon to breed?

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    Assuming you mean Doubles, and assuming you're talking VGC 2018 rules, http://vgcstats.com/ is a really nice resource. It's usage weighted by CP gain (ie, what the people who use tournaments are using). Obviously, in a format like 2018, a lot of it is one-time-catch stuff like the Tapus, but there are still easily breedable Mons like Metagross and Charizard there.

• Options
    I'm a bit surprised that people are using Incineroar, even if it doesn't have Intimidate.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm a bit surprised that people are using Incineroar, even if it doesn't have Intimidate.

Not sure why it is as popular as it is, but it does have reasonable bulk (95/90/90), a great utility movepool (Fake Out, U-Turn, Snarl, STAB Knock Off, Taunt), and enough Attack to actually do damage with it's good STAB (Flare Blitz, Darkest Lariat...Superpower isn't STAB but gets a mention anyway). The low speed isn't really a bad thing in such a Trick Room heavy format, either. I guess it just hits some of the big threats of the metagame for good damage (Metagross, Tyranitar, Amoongus, Bulu, Karatana)? One of those weird time and place things where it just works.

edit: Forgot that Dark Type makes it immune to Prankster! That is huge. That's huge in a metagame with Whimsicott and Thundurus.

TDawg on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    logged in and claimed my free pack for today. sun moon pack

rip tapu lele gx

savage

Edit: naturally after including it in have a string of terrible hands and monstrous misplays.

WingedWeasel on