As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Being a slow player has its advantages- the past few days have been extra busy, so by the time I actually sit down with the game again my Lunala will probably be completely EV trained and ready to take on the world.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Getting a New 3ds soon and a Physical copy of the game since my copy is Digital and my 3ds can barely handle the data requirement for it.

I am going to slowly hand trade all my items to my new file >_O
    @Zunde
    That's great and the new 3ds is a nice piece of hardware, but if the bolded is the driving factor behind upgrading then you can save yourself a lot of money by simply upgrading your SD card. Especially since at this point in the 3DS's lifecycle you can make a compelling case they you may be better off taking that money that's presently earmarked for a new 3DS and new pokemon cartridge and setting it aside for the Nintendo Switch.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Okay, game, seriously, just let me give Lillie a starter. All this stuff about how "she's not a trainer" but she'd like to be - girl, Alola literally has a designed obstacle course to ease people into being trainers, in the Island Challenge! Kukui being an unprofessional little derp kept the last of his starters, but it's not like we can't make more of them. She's all like "I wish I had pokemon of my own" and my reaction is basically "Look, do you want a Totodile to start up? Because I have Totodile eggs".

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    It's not the only reason.

I also just want a new 3ds so i can get the Snes virtual console releases and such and also because mine is old and falling apart

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Getting so close to finishing my pokedex... I think Politoed is the last "hard" one I need (all these dumb trade evolutions... And it never rains in Melie Garden...). Rest are mostly just waiting on a few levels (yay Pelego) and also Type: Null to stop hating me.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Man I tried to catch everything that I could for my 100%. Had to cheese it a bit because the GF doesnt want to do the end game too fast and hasnt done her UBs yet. Incidentally I got a Pheromosa on the GTS for a PorygonZ. A level 1 PorygonZ. :) I had to GTS a few Pokemon but on the all I think I caught at least 90-95% of the Pokedex. Started my first shiny chain last night and had a mistake break at 30 and got back up to 81 before I had to go to bed. Figured the first shiny I should get should be my chainer so I went after Smeargle. In the 80 chain I only saw Moody twice. Almost thought about catching it and starting over heh.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Getting so close to finishing my pokedex... I think Politoed is the last "hard" one I need (all these dumb trade evolutions... And it never rains in Melie Garden...). Rest are mostly just waiting on a few levels (yay Pelego) and also Type: Null to stop hating me.

Po Town lock. Go to Po town to get Goodra (rain) evolve.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    What does Goodra do? I have one. I saw somewhere that suggested just using an Absol with rain dance to make my own weather for SOS to find Politoed.. I may just do that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    What does Goodra do? I have one. I saw somewhere that suggested just using an Absol with rain dance to make my own weather for SOS to find Politoed.. I may just do that.

Oh my bad I thought you were trying to evolve to the Goodra not find Poli. You could also grind up a kings rock with BPs and evolve one. 32 BPs I think so not too bad. The Poliwag can also make it rain in the garden too but you can bring your own which is always better. When I was hunting my vannilish it took forever for the vulpix to cast hail and I almost broke the chain to go grab it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I found a sort of exploit with the battle buffet
    You can only do it once a day but if you leave before the Turns are up you can go back in pay and fight more trainers for money/xp though only a few specific types of trainers give big payouts

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Oh my bad I thought you were trying to evolve to the Goodra not find Poli. You could also grind up a kings rock with BPs and evolve one. 32 BPs I think so not too bad. The Poliwag can also make it rain in the garden too but you can bring your own which is always better. When I was hunting my vannilish it took forever for the vulpix to cast hail and I almost broke the chain to go grab it.

Ah yeah. I got lucky with all the others. When I found out about weather SOS I went to the mountain first and it was currently snowing so I just caught a Vanillish easy. Same with most of the others. Goodra hilariously it WAS raining in the garden, but it was freaking daytime so I couldn't catch Politoed. Tried to wait until night but the rain stopped on me -_-

• Options

Ah yeah. I got lucky with all the others. When I found out about weather SOS I went to the mountain first and it was currently snowing so I just caught a Vanillish easy. Same with most of the others. Goodra hilariously it WAS raining in the garden, but it was freaking daytime so I couldn't catch Politoed. Tried to wait until night but the rain stopped on me -_-

Awesomed for the luck heh. I almost got a Celesteela for a Vanillite but someone beat me too it. GTS has some nuts deals up on it.

• Options

Awesomed for the luck heh. I almost got a Celesteela for a Vanillite but someone beat me too it. GTS has some nuts deals up on it.

I know, I somehow got a Lunala for a Happiny which was nuts. Celesteela took me forever and I put up whatever the equivalent Sun Ultra Beast was (that paper sword guy). It seems like logical trades get ignored a lot. It was way too much work to get a Sandshrew for example...

• Options

I know, I somehow got a Lunala for a Happiny which was nuts. Celesteela took me forever and I put up whatever the equivalent Sun Ultra Beast was (that paper sword guy). It seems like logical trades get ignored a lot. It was way too much work to get a Sandshrew for example...

Make sure you click to remove legendary pokemon in the options when searching for a legendary pokemon. At least on my GTS it only showed the legendary deals, or put them first, until I turned that off. After that I was able to find that easy peasy PorygonZ trade.

• Options

Make sure you click to remove legendary pokemon in the options when searching for a legendary pokemon. At least on my GTS it only showed the legendary deals, or put them first, until I turned that off. After that I was able to find that easy peasy PorygonZ trade.

Yeah, I do that. Still, most trades are for like, level 91-100 of something, or Kingdra or some other pokemon that's not exactly easy to get (i.e. A lot of stuff that only evolves after trading holding an item)

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I hate people that request level 91-100 so much.

I feel like they're doing it as storage for that one pokemon, while also being unreasonably hopeful.

Makes me want to hack in a bunch of level 100 garbage pokemon and trade them off. All of them with terrible natures and moves and 0 in all IVs. Punish them for their dumb requests.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I hate people that request level 91-100 so much.

I feel like they're doing it as storage, or just being unreasonably hopeful.

Makes me want to hack in a bunch of level 100 garbage pokemon and trade them off. All of them with terrible natures and moves and 0 in all IVs. Punish them for their dumb requests.

Yeah, I assume it's the same mindset of requesting a Mew for a Caterpie or whatever. No one is going to make that trade. But honestly, this is why GTS needs better filtering options too. Just blanket filtering out legendaries is not enough.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Arggghhh.

Lastest batch of Jangmo-o eggs had a 6 IV baby. But it's Bulletproof not Overcoat.

6 IV, Jolly, Bulletproof. It would be absolutely perfect if it I wasn't breeding it for a hail team.

Edit: 31/31/31/31/31/29 Jolly Overcoat. That will do.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey, trading on GTS is not cheesing!

BTW, you can get all "opposite" UBs with your own spare UBs.

Also, the BEST GTS fodder is Weavile. I got an extra Type: Null and Cosmog each for my living dex with Weaviles. People will trade literally anything for a Weavile.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Also, the BEST GTS fodder is Weavile. I got an extra Type: Null and Cosmog each for my living dex with Weaviles. People will trade literally anything for a Weavile.

That's because Weavile is kind of a pain. Razor Claw seems to only be held by the Jangmo-o family which is a 5% encounter rate. Then you have to actually find one holding it :P Took me chaining for a decent amount of time before I did (didn't help my Butterfree with Thief was like 10 levels lower so he tended to get 2 shot by them and none of his moves were 1 shot kills so it was slow going :P). I ended up GTS trading a sneasel holding it for one - those trades seem to always be near instant (not sure why people want to 1-to-1 trade for essentially the same pokemon but maybe they cancel the evolution to keep the item? *shrug*)

And the ultra beast thing was my complaint. It SEEMS obvious, but for some reason version-exclusive-equivalent trades take foreeeeeeever to happen. That was my earlier comment about trying to get a Sandshrew for a Vulpix, and same for those two ultrabeasts (especially since for some reason the game throws FOUR of that particular beast at you... No idea why so many)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Yeah Compound Eyes is your friend when hunting that horrible, horrible, claw.

Bagon, Vanilite, Toegepi and Porygon2 are trading good now too.

And I guess cheesing is the wrong word. But I did want to catch them all... well other than the ones I had no shot in catching.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I tried to catch/evolve just about anything I could as well. I mostly just traded for version exclusives and anything that was a trade evolution.

I didn't quite do a living dex, but I am fairly close which is nice. I like to have one of each when it's not too inconvenient to do so (stuff like Cosmog and Type: Null, we'll see...)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay, game, seriously, just let me give Lillie a starter. All this stuff about how "she's not a trainer" but she'd like to be - girl, Alola literally has a designed obstacle course to ease people into being trainers, in the Island Challenge! Kukui being an unprofessional little derp kept the last of his starters, but it's not like we can't make more of them. She's all like "I wish I had pokemon of my own" and my reaction is basically "Look, do you want a Totodile to start up? Because I have Totodile eggs".

She is a pacifist so her position on battles is not very flexible.

The fact that Cosmog doesn't want to stay in the bag doesn't help her self-steem. And add all family issues on top of that.

She could use one as a pet but being the Professor's assistant gives her enough work.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Is Iron Head worth getting on Garchomp?

Of the two options for dealing with fairies Steel is probably gonna be more useful with so many neutral targets . Poison jab works but half the good fairies are steel so.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Lillie is gonna show up in a future Pokemon game with a completely balls to the wall team that makes Champion Cynthia look like Youngster Joey.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Lillie is gonna show up in a future Pokemon game with a completely balls to the wall team that makes Champion Cynthia look like Youngster Joey.
    Second Red/Green/Blue remake?

• Options
    Watch her come back with a team of all Legendaries :P

I do think the ending might be hinting that Stars will add the Kanto region tho. That would be pretty sweet.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The next game will introduce a bag pokemon and her team will be 6 of them.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I want a Dedenne... when can I has one? Did they say a date yet?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Anyone here with a 5 Star Red Dye House that I could befriend? Also, I have a 5 Star Navy Blue Dye House for anyone interested.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Before playing Sun & Moon, I was totally opposed to yet another game set in Kanto because I think that Game Freak has been pandering to people who like gen 1 quite enough lately; but now, I'd be totally down for a game set there where you play as Lillie.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Before playing Sun & Moon, I was totally opposed to yet another game set in Kanto because I think that Game Freak has been pandering to people who like gen 1 quite enough lately; but now, I'd be totally down for a game set there where you play as Lillie.

Agreed. But:
    I liked opening up my gen1 reprint holo charizard.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

That's because Weavile is kind of a pain. Razor Claw seems to only be held by the Jangmo-o family which is a 5% encounter rate. Then you have to actually find one holding it :P Took me chaining for a decent amount of time before I did (didn't help my Butterfree with Thief was like 10 levels lower so he tended to get 2 shot by them and none of his moves were 1 shot kills so it was slow going :P).

It's not that hard to find them. I've evolved one Weavile (traded for female Glaceon) and I still have three Claws left. I was kind of earning them incidentally while chaining for a shiny.

Speaking of shiny chains, meet the 285th Chinchou I encountered today:

Would have been happy with either Absorb ability so of course it has Illuminate. 100BP here I come...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

"Mewtwo, get in the bag."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Dhelmise/Beldum/Trubbish got me almost everything off the gts.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Grinding my 100BP, made a run at Singles Battle Tree and cleared it so hey 50BP closer to my goal. Was not expecting that reward, though.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    anyone know is the +X notation i keep seeing for swords dance indicating how many sword dances were successful?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    anyone know is the +X notation i keep seeing for swords dance indicating how many sword dances were successful?

+2, etc? It means how many stages a stat has been raised/lowered. For boosting, it's 50% (additive) each stage (up to 4x at +6). Decreases are proportional, with -6 being a .25 multiplier.

Accuracy has a separate list of modifiers, and evasion stages modify the opponent's accuracy (equivalent to the opposite accuracy mod, +2 evasion and -2 accuracy are equivalent)

Swords Dance raises attack two stages (the game reports a 1 stage modifier as raised/lowered and larger as sharply raised/lowered, though only a handful of moves can move a stat more than two stages at once)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »

+2, etc? It means how many stages a stat has been raised/lowered. For boosting, it's 50% (additive) each stage (up to 4x at +6). Decreases are proportional, with -6 being a .25 multiplier.

Accuracy has a separate list of modifiers, and evasion stages modify the opponent's accuracy (equivalent to the opposite accuracy mod, +2 evasion and -2 accuracy are equivalent)

Swords Dance raises attack two stages (the game reports a 1 stage modifier as raised/lowered and larger as sharply raised/lowered, though only a handful of moves can move a stat more than two stages at once)

so +2 would be 2 sword dances for (+100%) then +100% based on the new stat?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    +2 is one swords dance.

Swords dance boosts attack by two stages, hence +2.

After boosting to +2 with a single swords dance, if the opponent were to bring in a pokemon with intimidate, your pokemon's attack would be lowered by one stage. Your attack would then be at +1 and your attacks will subsequently only be boosted by +50%

also
    ...then +100% based on the new stat?
    All modifiers are based off the base stat.

Let's say that I have an attack that does 4 damage. A single swords dance will boost my attack by +100%, so my attack gets boosted from 4 to 8 damage. If I were to perform a second swords dance, then my attack strengh is now hitting for +200% of the base value, so that 4 damage attack is hitting for 12 damage after two swords dances.

So again, each stage boosts by 50%. Swords dance boosts your attack by two stages each use.
    +2 is +100%
    +4 is +200%
    +6 is +300%

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options