As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    TDawg wrote: »
    Splitting hairs, you could SOS Battle for perfect IVs as well and it was about as tedious as the chain capture is imo, but if more people prefer this that's cool. I'm just glad GameFreak is willing to play around with the fundamentals and explore different ways to do things.

SOS chaining for IVs is super annoying because you can roll badly on the nature. I think even if you use the synchronize garbage it's still only 50/50 it takes effect? That said I SUPER liked it for shiny farming. First time I'd ever even considered going after shinies and I got like five before I went on another break from the games. Edit: I guess you can just breed the nature and the IVs through, but at that point you just chain for a few high IV dittos and go from there. And chaining dittos requires their own special inside baseball strats.

Meanwhile I watched a streamer trying to farm a shiny Dratini in Let's Go and it was one of the most worst (in a funny way) things I've seen on Twitch. You get up to a max catch combo then literally sit at a bend in a river for hours waiting for wild pokemon to bump into you. He didn't get one in four hours despite the reported odds saying there was like an 80% chance of one showing up by then.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I don't really get how catching pokemon is supposed to work. I get the ring color shows the difficulty and I can use a berry to reduce that difficulty by a little on one throw but I keep getting excellent after excellent and the pokemon still busts out. I do not get the point of the excellent, great, and nice stuff.

Just beat the second gym and wrecked my way to Bill. Got Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander already. An NPC at the Poke Center in the second gym city traded their Alola Rattata for my normal Rattata. I was catching pokemon in the grass above the daycare and I accidentally jumped down to another level of grass and in the grass above me a Abra spawned. I was not pleased.

I am also upset that I cannot catch a Growlithe.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/catch-mechanics

Not sure if the math is 100 percent the same but, better throws mostly decrease the chances of the Pokemon running after a failed catch. A regular pokeball has a high fail rate and run rate, so nice throws and berries can help keep them there.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The timing on the throws makes no damn sense. It seems to vary between each encounter, and when they tell you to wait until the ring is as small as possible is an outright lie. You have to wait until the ring is about mid-way or a little before mid-way.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The timing on the throws makes no damn sense. It seems to vary between each encounter, and when they tell you to wait until the ring is as small as possible is an outright lie. You have to wait until the ring is about mid-way or a little before mid-way.

It's not a lie but it is dramatically easier to actually land the ball when the circle is about midway. The idea with the circle shrinking is that you have to land the ball within the circle. So if you wait until it's small but hit them outside the colored circle, it won't grant a bonus. I know you can get Excellent hits from waiting til it's about 1/3rd, but you wanna throw well before it's too small, otherwise the travel time between throw and hit will screw you.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was surprised to see it doesn't do the thing Go does where the circle locks in place right when you let go of the ball. But also people seem to hit excellents consistently so the system works, I guess.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    My pokeball plus controller does not seem to want to charge it died so i plugged it into the Usb port on my computer to charge it and it's still dead like nine hours later

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a good resource for combo catches? Trying to get a shiny and its been quite the hassle.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Finally got around to digging my old fat DS out to transfer all of my old legendary and event Pokemon from the old DS titles to White on my 3DS to move to the bank. What am I gonna do with 8 of each cat? Who knows. But It's still a bit funny to think that this particular Jirachi traveled from a Gamecube disc to a GBA cart to a DS cart to another DS cart to a cloud database. What a long, strange trip it has been.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hey kid! Wanna get a shiny Tapu Lele? Need a break from Let's GO?

h68mprnnawof.jpg

Head over to the Global Link to register for the International Challenge November!
    It follows VGC 2019 Moon Series rules (Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon required, 2 restricted legendaries allowed per team, Z moves okay, mega evolutions not okay), and participation gets you a free shiny Tapu Lele! Registration runs until the 29th, and then the tournament runs from the 29th till Dec 2! Get your teams a-brewin'! And if you need help finding something, don't hesitate to ask for help.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So, Lets Go is basically my first Pokemon game. I tried Pokemon X and it didn't stick. I dicked around a very little bit in Pokemon Go because everyone did, and checked out after a week.

TLDR is that I'm Pokemon retarded.

I don't know the types, it took me all day to realize I could send Pokemon back to Dr Oak for candy. I'm not sure what exactly catch combos do for me, I'm just told they are good? I see people changing their pants over shiny Pokemon, but I don't know what's so great about them.

I feel like everyone knows something about this game that I just don't. I'm playing it, constantly going "I don't get it", like when I try to teach my non-gaming friends hex & counter wargames.

I hear there are hidden stats that determine how good your pokemon might be? What?

I'm just suffering this weird disconnect between all the deep pokemon theory crafting I see discussed, and then the game itself where very little of this seems manifest. There must be a curtain somewhere! Where do I go to peek behind the curtain?

Namrok on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Don't bother peeking behind the curtain.

Just enjoy the game as presented, it's not going to be difficult to beat even starting from a point of 0 knowledge.

If you like Let's Go so much that you decide to play other, mainline pokémon games, and you enjoy that so much you want to dive into some PVP battles you can peek behind the curtain then.

And shiny pokémon just have a different colour palette, kind of like super rare collectors items versions.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    - The ability to choose which joycon you want to use when you have the game docked has been a godsend for my left-handed friend

Never thought about this before, but now I'm a little surprised that there's not a company out there making a left handed Joycon holder.
    j6cu6rp76b08.jpg

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So there is a woman on a bench in Vermilion City that asked if I like Growlithe or Meowth more. Growlithe is my favorite so I went with that. She told me to catch 5 Meowth. Did that. She gave me an Arcanine which is pretty awesome and solves my problem of apparently not being able to catch Growlithe. I can also ride my Arcanine which is awesome.

It is a little on the weak side though right now and it has a nature that affects the speed and special attack, speed is red and special attack is blue.

Either way, gonna load it up on candies and make it a bad ass cause it is never going to leave my party.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Red is the boost, blue the decrease. That's a pretty good nature for an Arcanine.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    When I went to pick up, Let's Go apparently there were enough people who'd already bought the game that the cashiers were having a little game going where they tried to guess if the person coming up to the register had gone with Pikachu or Eevee.

Apparently, I'm a Pikachu-looking kind of person, even though I got the objectively cuter Eevee version.

Anyways, the game's really hitting that nostalgia hard. I was just about the right age for when Pokémon Blue & Red came out, so this game is a real trip down memory lane.

I have to wonder, though, am I the only one who always beats the Psychic Gym before the Poison Gym?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I always did psychic first, I mean you reach it first?

I don't think I ever understood you could do them the other way around tbh

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Don't bother peeking behind the curtain.

Just enjoy the game as presented, it's not going to be difficult to beat even starting from a point of 0 knowledge..

I can't stress this enough. It holds true for the normal games, too! The ~mystery hidden stats~ are only worth worrying about for people who are going to VGC tournaments, which this game doesn't even support and won't support because this one is meant to be "just for fun". This is the Pokemon game equivalent of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 theme song.
    I have to wonder, though, am I the only one who always beats the Psychic Gym before the Poison Gym?

I also do Psychic -> Poison, and I am pretty sure it's the "official" order? I thought people who did it the other way were the outliers.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    If you look on the save screen, the Gyms get filled in in order and Poison is definitely ahead of Psychic on that one.

Also, Poison dude has lower level Pokémon than Psychic lady.

• Options
    Red is the boost, blue the decrease. That's a pretty good nature for an Arcanine.

Yea, I was pretty happy when I saw that. I just need to get moves now. It only had Ember for a fire type attack.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I beat fire gym before poison and psychic, you would think sea skim man wouldnt appear until after you beat Koga but there he was and nothing was keeping me out of the water so...

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I beat fire gym before poison and psychic, you would think sea skim man wouldnt appear until after you beat Koga but there he was and nothing was keeping me out of the water so...

I wondered if this was possible. Nice to see that it is.

I mean, for the early Gyms there are people in the way - that kid that leads you to Brock's Gym and Officer Jenny won't move until you've beat Misty.

Hmm. Is there something stopping your progress until you've beat the third Gym? Can't remember.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Rami wrote: »
    I always did psychic first, I mean you reach it first?

I don't think I ever understood you could do them the other way around tbh

In Gen 3 I'd save Brawley for last because his Makuhita is a jerkbutt and I want to crush it in one hit.

Edit: Wait, fourth, because Norman doesn't let you pass without the rest of the badges, I think? It was Winona I'd save to last.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »

I wondered if this was possible. Nice to see that it is.

I mean, for the early Gyms there are people in the way - that kid that leads you to Brock's Gym and Officer Jenny won't move until you've beat Misty.

Hmm. Is there something stopping your progress until you've beat the third Gym? Can't remember.

Now I'm trying to think what the lowest number of badges you can complete the circuit around Kanto with is in the original games. You meed Cut, Strength, and Surf and you have to beat Brock to reach Mt. Moon... are there any other triggers?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    How can I see a list of all the Alola version pokemon that are in the new game? So far I have Rattata, Geodude, Diglett, and Vulpix. Trying to figure out how I might get Marowak.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    How can I see a list of all the Alola version pokemon that are in the new game? So far I have Rattata, Geodude, Diglett, and Vulpix. Trying to figure out how I might get Marowak.

Serebii has you covered.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

Serebii has you covered.

Awesome, thank you.

• Options
    I should go past mount moon and continue on my grand adventure.

I think i might actually have a problem since my Geodude chain has passed 1000 and i have over 500,000 Pokeyen from selling stacks of 999 candies since catching a single geodude right now gives me over 100 assorted candy.

Shout out to the random dude inside mount moon who straight up gives you 10 pokeballs over and over if you talk to him with less then 10 yourself.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Namrok wrote: »

I don't mean to call you out or anything, but could we please not?

WACriminal on
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I should go past mount moon and continue on my grand adventure.

I think i might actually have a problem since my Geodude chain has passed 1000 and i have over 500,000 Pokeyen from selling stacks of 999 candies since catching a single geodude right now gives me over 100 assorted candy.

Shout out to the random dude inside mount moon who straight up gives you 10 pokeballs over and over if you talk to him with less then 10 yourself.

Wait, what? Is that how it works? Higher chain is more candies?

How many candies can I feed to my pokemon? How much can I increase it by?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    You can gain +200 In each stat from candy but the more you feed a pokemon the more candy per point they require.

And yup the higher your catch chain is the more candy drops you can get for winning this is a picture of a Geodude i just caught on my chain it's on the low end of rewards but it works an an example

Edit - On the way out of the cave to take that picture i actually ran into a SECOND shiny geodude
    m78t22ek6ehe.jpg

Zunde on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »

No.

Also, if you don't mean to, don't.

Or least answer my question also.

Namrok on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

No.

Oooooooh, sorry, the correct answer is "I'm sorry, I will refrain from using my offensive language again in the future."

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

No.

Let me be clearer on their behalf: it's 2018. Stop using the word "retarded", it's time to grow up.

• Options

No.

Oooooooh, sorry, the correct answer is "I'm sorry, I will refrain from using my offensive language again in the future."

Please use the report button rather than moderating the thread yourself.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

No.

Please use the report button rather than moderating the thread yourself.

My apologies. I meant it as a polite request rather than a demand, but I can see it didn't come across that way.

• Options

No.

Let me be clearer on their behalf: it's 2018. Stop using the word "retarded", it's time to grow up.

If that's a hard rule, could you please add it to the rules. Because I literally just read them, and then ctrl-f'd for "retarded", and it's not there. If it were in the rules, I wouldn't have done it, or argued.

• Options
    I'm pretty amused by the fact Psyduck hands out Smart candy.

• Options
    Relevant passages are in bold
    On Rules Lawyering

These rules are not complete and are not intended to be. These forums are privately owned and the administration reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time. The excuse “but there's no rule about it!” will never be accepted as an excuse for bad behaviour. It is expected that all users are intelligent and mature enough. While we strive to be fair in the moderation of these boards, said enforcement is subjective by its very nature. Please see the FAQ below for information on what to do if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

Don't Be A Dick

This is the most important rule of all and its influence is wide-ranging. These forums are at various times a haven for silliness, debate, discussion, humour, advice and various other forms of discourse. They are not, at any time, a haven for pricks. Forums that are welcoming to pricks exist and you are more than welcome to go and find one, but we are not interested in running one here.

These forums are restricted to ages 13+ and it is expected that all users, regardless of age, are able to act in a mature and respectful fashion. Users are expected to have a reasonable level of social intuition regarding what is and is not acceptable social behaviour, and you should avoid saying anything to someone on these forums that you would not be willing to say to them if they were a) standing in front of you b) considerably bigger than you and holding a club.

• Options
    Relevant passages are in bold
    On Rules Lawyering

These rules are not complete and are not intended to be. These forums are privately owned and the administration reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time. The excuse “but there's no rule about it!” will never be accepted as an excuse for bad behaviour. It is expected that all users are intelligent and mature enough. While we strive to be fair in the moderation of these boards, said enforcement is subjective by its very nature. Please see the FAQ below for information on what to do if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

Don't Be A Dick

This is the most important rule of all and its influence is wide-ranging. These forums are at various times a haven for silliness, debate, discussion, humour, advice and various other forms of discourse. They are not, at any time, a haven for pricks. Forums that are welcoming to pricks exist and you are more than welcome to go and find one, but we are not interested in running one here.

These forums are restricted to ages 13+ and it is expected that all users, regardless of age, are able to act in a mature and respectful fashion. Users are expected to have a reasonable level of social intuition regarding what is and is not acceptable social behaviour, and you should avoid saying anything to someone on these forums that you would not be willing to say to them if they were a) standing in front of you b) considerably bigger than you and holding a club.

Fine, but smugly going "It's 2018" to someone who's been around here for almost 15 years now isn't exactly intuitive. What's on the slate for 2019? For 2020? For 2021? I can't keep up with this shit. I didn't call anyone retarded. I didn't describe anything having to do with anyone else retarded. I directly no malice or ill will towards anyone else. I used an adjective to perfectly describe my own feelings of Pokemon inadequacy. And maybe I've been living under a rock, but I didn't realize that it had finally conclusive been decided by all that "retarded" is up there with shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

• Options
    diwlnkwcf3k4.jpg