As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Kinda weird they mentioned alternate storyline for Ultra SUMO and not a sequel...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    They better give us Pokemon walking behind us with the unused feature being in S/M (All the Models and animations already there for it.) I'll flip a dang table.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    They better give us Pokemon walking behind us with the unused feature being in S/M (All the Models and animations already there for it.) I'll flip a dang table.

It was presumably cut for technical reasons, so I wouldn't expect it back while they're on exactly the same hardware.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Alternate story?

What if nebbie stayed in the bag?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    An alternate history in which Hau becomes champion.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Maybe in this version they will have a gym setup?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

It was presumably cut for technical reasons, so I wouldn't expect it back while they're on exactly the same hardware.

That would be a shame it was such a cool feature even if it did pretty much nothing.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Let the speculation begin:

(note they quickly removed it of course, but very very curious)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Disappointed if it doesnt show up on the Switch but more of one of the best Pokemon games ever? Yes please.

• Options
    I wonder if we'll have quick access to our old pokemon or will we have to suffer through some arbitrary wait.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I hope it bombs.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    I wonder why they aren't releasing Crystal with g/s.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So Pokémon with Pokerus WILL spread it while in the PC, right?

I could swear the Charizard I got outta Wonder Trade gave it to another Pokémon in the same PC box, but I can't be 100% sure that Pokémon didn't already have it.

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    No, leaving it in the PC is a way to stop Pokerus from disappearing (good idea to infect a throw away Pokemon and leave it in the PC so that you always have someone infected), and it will not spread to other Pokes. The infected mon needs to be in your party to spread Pokerus.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Woah I feel like I've been out of the Pokemon game too long... They added a Pokemon disease?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    urahonky wrote: »
    Woah I feel like I've been out of the Pokemon game too long... They added a Pokemon disease?
    been in the game since gen 2

It doubles the EV gains of affected pokemon

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    And it has little value this gen with PokePelago.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Unless, of course, you do it the old fashioned (and significantly faster) way. Then it is of great value.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I was kinda thinking about buying Moon and starting a second playthrough, but I guess I'll just get Ultra Moon instead.

I also missed out on Pokken on Wii U, so I'm looking forward to the Switch version as well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    When breeding, how do I get a Pokemon's hidden ability? Or does that just randomly show up sometimes?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    When breeding, how do I get a Pokemon's hidden ability? Or does that just randomly show up sometimes?

Hidden abilities can only be on the result of breeding if:
    A) The female of the pair has its hidden ability
    B) The male and female are the same species and the male has its hidden ability (I think they added this one in XY? This also applies to crossing with Ditto)

So you can't ever get a hidden ability on a pokemon if you don't already have something in that line with it.

If you meet the conditions it's all up to luck, but I think it's just as likely as any other ability then, so it's not TOO hard to get what you want.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Valleo wrote: »
    No, leaving it in the PC is a way to stop Pokerus from disappearing (good idea to infect a throw away Pokemon and leave it in the PC so that you always have someone infected), and it will not spread to other Pokes. The infected mon needs to be in your party to spread Pokerus.

Yeah, I spread it around to my story mode party already (plus the level 1 Gen 1+2 starters I've stashed away for another playthrough).

But I don't recall another Pokemon I got through Wonder Trade having had it when I got it initially yesterday... but I check today and it definitely has Pokerus. It's possible I just didn't notice it when I initially got it from Wonder Trade... but it's also been sitting in the same PC box as my initial Pokerus carrier, so I can't say for certain it wasn't a result of that.

Though everywhere I look online says it can only be spread by having the Pokemon in the same party and entering a battle screen (even if you just immediately flee).

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I was kinda thinking about buying Moon and starting a second playthrough, but I guess I'll just get Ultra Moon instead.

I also missed out on Pokken on Wii U, so I'm looking forward to the Switch version as well.

The most disappointing part of that announcement to me is another round of the same starters. I like Rowlet but I don't want to pick it again and the other two are pretty meh. Maybe I'll trade over a starter from a different gen if I pick up one of those games.

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

The most disappointing part of that announcement to me is another round of the same starters. I like Rowlet but I don't want to pick it again and the other two are pretty meh. Maybe I'll trade over a starter from a different gen if I pick up one of those games.

I'm thinking of designing a team of fun dudes and sending them over for use when I start over. Stuff like a female Salandit, cubone, etc. I'll probably use Rowlett though, since I picked the kitty cat last time.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    I did that when I started my Moon game. I put together a balanced team of 6 and sent them over. They weren't like super bred pokemon or anything, but I did hatch them all from eggs so they would be level 1 on my new game in Moon.

• Options
    My problem is that aside from Gardevoir, who is my most favorite Pokemon ever, all of my other favorites are all ghost types.

Gengar, Chandelure, Aegislash, Trevenant, Palossand, Dusknoir... Those are pretty much all my favorites, but you can't build a team out of all ghosts. At least not a good one.

• Options
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Unless, of course, you do it the old fashioned (and significantly faster) way. Then it is of great value.

Sure. For one offs yeah. If you are doing groups of them (18+ for example) you can use vitamins (if speed is an issue) to get 18 done in one stat in about 9 hours or a bit more. Less if you also use Festival Plaza to supplement (I think you can get 1 free max a day if you spend time to level this up).

The time spent spreading the pokerus, finding the pokemon for the stat and if you are doing and getting 7 chains could take a pretty good length of time. If you have to bring a chainer that is 5 at a time instead of as well. There is also the initial aspect of farming up 5 or so of the power items and getting BPs can be a hell of a chore.

/shrug...

I never really have the quick need to have the pokemon ready so I can wait the half day usually if I need it. And when I was mass training pokemon the pelago was just plain easier. Set it and forget it.

• Options
    I'm in the process of trying to breed an Eevee for the Tiny Tourney. Having a rough time of it so far.

• Options
    I'm in the process of trying to breed an Eevee for the Tiny Tourney. Having a rough time of it so far.

Do you have two 4 IV ditto that cover each other's missing IVs? It makes things infinitely easier imo, and is much faster to acquire than a 6 IV ditto.

• Options
    Yeah, the problem I'm encountering is getting the IV's to line up, plus that extra RNG factor of getting the hidden ability.

I've got a decent breeding pair. The male has 5 perfect IV's, with the only non-perfect one being in Def, and I have a female with 3 perfect IV's including max Def. And I'm running into stat problems mostly. Right now I'm attempting to come up a better breeding female.

• Options
    You dont need perfect IVs on the Eevee. Unless you plan on trying to Last Resort out some suprise kills. You just need survival IVs and Speed. If you are antsy because people focus eevee down hard you can bring a tank to take the damage to get your sweeper out.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Yeah, the problem I'm encountering is getting the IV's to line up, plus that extra RNG factor of getting the hidden ability.

I've got a decent breeding pair. The male has 5 perfect IV's, with the only non-perfect one being in Def, and I have a female with 3 perfect IV's including max Def. And I'm running into stat problems mostly. Right now I'm attempting to come up a better breeding female.

Your problem is that Eevee's gender ratio is hot garbage, see if you can get your hands on a decent Ditto.

I have a solid Eevee, I will see if breeding it gives me anything useful for you, but without a Ditto you are fighting an uphill battle even if I get you a 4 IV female.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Yeah, that's my plan. After I finish Eevee I will begin working on Clefairy. I already managed to snag a Clefairy with Friend Guard so that one is in the pipes and queued up for breeding as soon as I get an Eevee I'm satisfied with.

• Options
    I wonder if we'll have quick access to our old pokemon or will we have to suffer through some arbitrary wait.

Pokemon Bank has been accessible as soon as you have access to a Pokemon Center ever since, like, XY. I doubt this will be a concern.

I liked Black2/White2 but felt like I never fully appreciated the extra features like Join Avenue and PWT, as prior to Gen VI I mostly just played through the story, caught a few legendaries, basic stuff. So I hope Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are similarly awash in extra goodies for the more devoted players, because I am more likely to take advantage of them now

Worst case scenario? I get another 40 hour campaign to play through.

I've complained about it before but I am coming around to the idea of yearly-ish Pokemon releases. Especially something like this, it's kind of like having an expansion pack for the base game. Certainly not for everyone (many of my friends never bothered finishing Sun/Moon, I expect they won't buy this), but for someone like myself who is still gnawing on the bone? It's great.

• Options
    Now that Nintendo has (kind of) moved into the modern era with internet battling, trading, and all that, I have often wondered why they don't ever bother with balance patches?

I'm a pretty big MOBA player, and part of what keeps the game fresh for people is the ever-changing meta. Weak heroes are given a boost in power, overused and too strong heroes are given nerfs that drops their popularity. It keeps the game fresh, and it allows for what I would call "roster rotations" where the competitive meta changes, even if just slightly, with each balance patch.

One would think that Game Freak would want to release some balance patches to their game, especially since Pokemon has a very big competitive following. Even if they don't want to go as far as shaking up the entire meta every few months, it would make sense to me to give some weaker Pokemon some love, and maybe tune down some of the super OP ones just a bit.

• Options
    Perhaps they will bring back Dexnav or PokeRadar in this one. I would be down for that. Chaining is easy and all but its almost too easy and mindless for when I am shiny hunting.

• Options
    Now that Nintendo has (kind of) moved into the modern era with internet battling, trading, and all that, I have often wondered why they don't ever bother with balance patches?

I'm a pretty big MOBA player, and part of what keeps the game fresh for people is the ever-changing meta. Weak heroes are given a boost in power, overused and too strong heroes are given nerfs that drops their popularity. It keeps the game fresh, and it allows for what I would call "roster rotations" where the competitive meta changes, even if just slightly, with each balance patch.

One would think that Game Freak would want to release some balance patches to their game, especially since Pokemon has a very big competitive following. Even if they don't want to go as far as shaking up the entire meta every few months, it would make sense to me to give some weaker Pokemon some love, and maybe tune down some of the super OP ones just a bit.

I would love this too, but I think it is because the market Nintendo goes after (kids & their parents) is much less likely to download all of the balance patches, they want to avoid situations where one copy of Sun can't play with a copy of Moon because the copy of Sun has updated and the copy of Moon hasn't. Especially when the 3DS eShop can be a bit troublesome to navigate to get said updates.

However, each generation is, in some sense, a "balance patch", legal movesets are tweaked, and Gen VI and Gen VII even updated some Pokemon's stats! Also, some Pokemon are, by design, stronger than others. GameFreak wants to reward the kid who caught Larvitar in Mt. Silver and trained it up to take on their friends by giving them a super rad Pokemon. Remember, GameFreak designs Pokemon as a Kid's Game first, and as a competitive franchise second.

Fingers crossed that the next generation of Pokemon games, on the Switch or whatever, is more willing to do this, though.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Gold and Silver coming to Virtual Console is the best news, to me. The last time I saw my Silver save file was Summer, 2015. Realizing it would eventually not be there, I obtained a save backup device by Fall, so I could perform a battery change, but it had died in between.

Now I can finally play it again, with a save not doomed to a battery-powered expiry date. I've kept a list of all the names I've ever given my Pokémon, so I can rebuild, in a sense.

Please don't bring up Soul Silver, I have it ... and I wish they'd waited a generation or two for those remakes.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    HGSS might be the finest incarnation of Pokemon as a game. A few quality-of-life improvements have made them a bit less likable but at the time they were like the platonic Pokemon game.

• Options
    I hope Pokémon doesn't go to the switch, honestly. That thing is too bulky to lug around and the entire appeal of the game to me is based on the fact that I can pop my DS/3DS into my pocket and be ready for a long car/train/bus ride.