Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    In doubles, I'm thinking about running Tapu Bulu alongside Grassy Seed Magnezone.

Earthquake is pretty much Magnezone's one primary weakness. With grassy terrain undermining earthquake and the grassy seed boosing defense, Magnezone should be able to blow a few things up.

Although I've gotta say that Tapu Fini is pretty amazing in the battle tree. Misty terrain keeps the battle tree AI from spoiling things with dumb RNG confusion BS.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Although I've gotta say that Tapu Fini is pretty amazing in the battle tree. Misty terrain keeps the battle tree AI from spoiling things with dumb RNG confusion BS.

Wait, misty terrain does what?

Okay, I may need to go find Tapu Fini, because Paralysis is my fucking nemesis in the battle tree. Thing that has hapened to me: enemy Thunder Waves me, proceeds to use three Double Teams straight while I spend four turns paralyzed. Then, once practically unhittable, leisurely kills me, reparalyzing everything that comes out in the turn I miss. Between paralysis proccing half the turns and the +6 Evasion, I spend the rest of the fight unable to hit the enemy at all while dying by inches.

That was a perfectly good streak!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Is there a particular day that has been announced for the Pokemon bank? Main site just says January 2017 unless I missed it.

How do I got about the better than 4iv ditto thing. Wonder trade and hope?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You don't really need more than two 4IV Dittos for breeding, as long as they cover all six stats between them

The best way to get a 5IV one is still just chaining for 4IV ones and hoping for the best

Or you could go to reddit and ask for a trade, but those are hacked

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I know I don't need it but it'd certainly make the process easier. I've done a few breeding projects already and it is still supremely tedious

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I hate people that request level 91-100 so much.

I feel like they're doing it as storage for that one pokemon, while also being unreasonably hopeful.

Makes me want to hack in a bunch of level 100 garbage pokemon and trade them off. All of them with terrible natures and moves and 0 in all IVs. Punish them for their dumb requests.

I have always wondered that myself...I'm assuming they just want hacked stuff. Like, why do you want a level 91-100 LITTEN? Who does that?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I hate people that request level 91-100 so much.

I feel like they're doing it as storage for that one pokemon, while also being unreasonably hopeful.

Makes me want to hack in a bunch of level 100 garbage pokemon and trade them off. All of them with terrible natures and moves and 0 in all IVs. Punish them for their dumb requests.

I have always wondered that myself...I'm assuming they just want hacked stuff. Like, why do you want a level 91-100 LITTEN? Who does that?

Possibly, or also possible they are dumb kids who don't know better. I mean, that's a huge portion of the Pokemon audience.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Well, shit. Isle Evelup discards moves at the top of the list, not the bottom. And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there.

PLA on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Well, shit. Isle Evelup discards moves at the top of the list, not the bottom. And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there.

While annoying, this game absolutely THROWS Heart Scales at you as long as you patronize the various non-buffet restaurants so it's less of an issue.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, Move Tutor is amazing and pretty much fixes any move issues. Heart Scales are stupid easy to get as said (visit any restaurant basically)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Did you get your Regenerator? They are letting us go early today so I will be home this afternoon and can breed you one.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Got one! Thank you though! <3

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Wait, misty terrain does what?

Okay, I may need to go find Tapu Fini, because Paralysis is my fucking nemesis in the battle tree. Thing that has hapened to me: enemy Thunder Waves me, proceeds to use three Double Teams straight while I spend four turns paralyzed. Then, once practically unhittable, leisurely kills me, reparalyzing everything that comes out in the turn I miss. Between paralysis proccing half the turns and the +6 Evasion, I spend the rest of the fight unable to hit the enemy at all while dying by inches.

That was a perfectly good streak!

Yeah, misty terrain blocks status effects like confusion, paralysis, sleep, etc for grounded pokemon. This completely ruins some of the Al's sets and they're stuck using swagger at you because it's their only move that does anything within the terrain (and what it does is boost your attack without confusing you)

I'm not sure if it blocks infatuation, but I don't recall the ai trying to charm my pokemon during my last streak so maybe it does? That was a favorite trick of the ai in the battle maison.

The terrain doesn't do anything about the double team spam, but she can learn haze to reset them back to normal.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I've barely dipped my toe into the pokemon breeding pool. Via Wonder Trade, I acquired the following specimen:
    Lycanroc (midday form)
    Jolly/Steadfast
    Accelrock
    Rock Slide
    Thunder Fang
    Fire Fang

If the above is someone's throw away, it might be time for me to take swimming lessons.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Hawlucha + All-Out Pummeling

"Hokuto Chicken is invincible!"

:P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I've barely dipped my toe into the pokemon breeding pool. Via Wonder Trade, I acquired the following specimen:
    Lycanroc (midday form)
    Jolly/Steadfast
    Accelrock
    Rock Slide
    Thunder Fang
    Fire Fang

If the above is someone's throw away, it might be time for me to take swimming lessons.

Lycanroc learns Accelerock and Rock Slide by level up/move relearner. Arcanine, Snubbul, Granbull, and Stoutland can all learn both Thunder Fang and Fire Fang the same way. That particular setup is actually a pretty simple project of mating a female Lycanroc with a male of any of those other 4 after a trip to the move relearner :)

• Options
    CesareB wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Lycanroc (midday form)
    Jolly/Steadfast
    Accelrock
    Rock Slide
    Thunder Fang
    Fire Fang

Lycanroc learns Accelerock and Rock Slide by level up/move relearner. Arcanine, Snubbul, Granbull, and Stoutland can all learn both Thunder Fang and Fire Fang the same way. That particular setup is actually a pretty simple project of mating a female Lycanroc with a male of any of those other 4 after a trip to the move relearner :)

And really the best route for Lycanrock because its natural and TM moveset is pretty dire. My shiny is making due with Brick Break and Crunch.

• Options
    tried mimikyu in the singles tree.

round 1 opposing mimikyu that goes first (???) and thunder waves me, proceed to get smashed for the most part but i squeak by to round to. i forget what it was round 2 but it was some normal pokemon that was immune to half my mimikyu's moves and also paralyzed me (snorlax i think). not a promising start :L

on a related note i want to name it after one of the dreadlords: varimathras, balnazzar, or tichondrius. unfortunately varimathryu, balnayu, mimikrius, most of the combinations just don't roll off the tongue the way i'd like. tough life :P

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Just caught a Pinsir. Man that thing is kinda horrific in 3D. Dat mouth.

Still one of my faves, though!

• Options
    I'm completely mystified by the festival plaza. What the hell am I supposed to do in there? Does any of it have practical applications to the raising of pokemon or is it just cosmetic stuff?

• Options
    It has some useful things in it. I havent leveled up my plaza either though and thinking about doing it. Some items you can get are EV resetting food, level 100 tent, PP Up, Gold Bottle Cap lottery. Meant to be another grind for some gain.

There is a global mission up right now to catch island scan pokemon.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Just caught a Pinsir. Man that thing is kinda horrific in 3D. Dat mouth.

Still one of my faves, though!

If you thought regular Pinsir was frightening you should see Mega Pinsir.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    It has some useful things in it. I havent leveled up my plaza either though and thinking about doing it. Some items you can get are EV resetting food, level 100 tent, PP Up, Gold Bottle Cap lottery. Meant to be another grind for some gain.

Oh yea that reminds me. What is Island Scan? And what are gold bottlecaps for?

Nobeard on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Oh yea that reminds me. What is Island Scan? And what are gold bottlecaps for?

Island scan is the QR scanning option shown in your main options, you would need to sign up for the global mission first of course, where you scan QR codes looking for pokemon (you dont get to keep them with one exeption). Each QR code will give you 1 or more scan points in the ui. Once you get to 10 points you can do an island scan. The island scan will find a specific pokemon for you to catch (that you do get to keep!) that changes with the island AND day of the week you do it. There are some cool pokemon in the island scan. Simple description. I would look it up online for details.

Gold bottle caps give you all max IVs for a pokemon. You trade it to a guy in the top left area of the center building in the plaza. Regular bottlecaps max out one IV for a pokemon from the same guy as well.

On my side I did some test chaining after finishing the move set on my Smeargle and leveling her up a bit. Much more smooth experience having a proper chain moveset I have to say! Incedentially I have Moody HA now too!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    These QR codes (from the Global Mission page) are worth 20 points so you can catch 2 Island Scan Pokemon per day:

unknown.png

There's also this QR code that is worth 20 points and is for the Magearna distribution if you've finished the Elite 4:

magearna_distribution_qr_code.png

Zetx on
  • Options
    Hah, just traded a Vanilluxe for a Lunala. Obviously hacked. "Level Met: Apparently Lv. 5" and it's in a normal poke ball.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Hah, just traded a Vanilluxe for a Lunala. Obviously hacked. "Level Met: Apparently Lv. 5" and it's in a normal poke ball.

Uh, isn't that just a Cosmog evo then?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, you can get a level 5 cosmog in the game. Level it up and you ultimately get two copies of the box legendary.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Oh really? I'm not far enough yet so I figured it was hacked. I really just assume a lot of the legendary stuff (and a lot of pokemon actually) on GTS is hacked.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    The game hands you a lot of legendaries. Especially the ultra beasts. You get multiple copies of most of them so people are pretty quick to part with their extras in trades.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The game hands you a lot of legendaries. Especially the ultra beasts. You get multiple copies of most of them so people are pretty quick to part with their extras in trades.

Interesting to know. Welp, I guess I got an extra one I can trade off for something. I guess this person got bored of it. It's level 86 and they used it to beat the champion.

• Options
    I have 70 of the Hard Stone item thanks to Poke Pelago. Crazy.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I decided to go through E4 on a road trip, and i can honestly say i rather despise my current team. I haven't really caught much stuff, not even a full box worth, but i just don't like the team much. I had a misdrevous, but the lack of getting a dusk stone to evolve it made it pretty well under powered. I'm not super impressed by inceniroar overall, like why doesn't this guy get fire punch? I guess they're overdosing on the "not a fighting type" thing?

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm really curious what the creative process is like for when they are designing Pokemon

Some just seem very nonsensical to me

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I'm really curious what the creative process is like for when they are designing Pokemon

Some just seem very nonsensical to me

Honedge seems whomever was tasked with designing a X number of pokemon had a hard time meeting that quota.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    um Honedge is rad it's a ghost possessing a sword and then it sucks your soul out or some such if you try to use it

I'm okay with the weird ghost types. What I don't tend to like are humanoid types (Mr Mime, Blaziken etc.).

And of course, fucking Vanilluxe, the literal worst pokémon design.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Blaziken is fine and nowhere near the level of Mr Mime (it's name is Mr Mime wtffff), Jynx, and the Gothita line

But yeah Vanilluxe where a single Pokemon is composed of actual several Pokemon is weird to me, especially Dugtrio, though not as much Wishiwashi since that's a form where it calls other Wishiwashi to help

I'm okay with something like Honedge since it's basically a Ghost Poke inhabiting an item, but that means there's a ton of these swords out there being possessed by ghosts which is odd

And then there's Klink where's it like what the fuck is going on, a single entity is two gears? And it's not some ghost possessed device, how the hell does this thing come to exist?

What the hell is Cryogonal? And Minior? Fucking crazy alien demons is what they are

And like why wasn't Alomamola created as the evolution of Luvdisc? It seems so obvious to me

And that's just physical design, then there's stuff like Pinsir being Bug but it learns tons of Fighting moves, and its Mega form gains Flying type but I don't think it learns a single Flying move??? So I guess it's nice for Ground immunity at least

And why isn't Flygon a Bug/Dragon?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Dunsparce confused the hell out of me first time I saw it.

• Options
    The most criminal design in all of pokedom is Onix. It's a gigantic serpent made of boulders, which is just so godsdamned awesome. For some reason it has the same base attack stat as Butterfree. It's been a pet peeve of mine since Gen1.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Obviously Cryogonal is the crystalline entity from the first episode of TNG, the one that goes around sucking all the life out of entire planets.

Klink, well I'll give you that one. It's pretty much nonsensical.