As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year with your pals at Giant Bomb

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Frog Fractions 2 is out and is a game you can play right now
    it's called Glittermitten Grove and it's pretty great so far

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This fucking hitman video. Good lord.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Vinny exudes some kind of field that makes amazingly stupid things happen, i swear to god

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Watched the first couple minutes of that video and I'll finish it tomorrow but man Vinny and Jeff are WAY better at improvisation than Brad and Dan

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Vinny exudes some kind of field that makes amazingly stupid things happen, i swear to god

See: the intro of this video

https://youtu.be/tVYqgI4lOfA

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    "yeah well it's a stupid order" while wei goes tumbling into the abyss always slays me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hitsmas
    Nooooo!!! I was rooting for you, Vinny!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    vinny is the greatest hitman player that has ever lived

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    If anyone was wondering, Brad did eventually play and beat Superhot, at least according to his Steam profile. Not sure how that lines up with the recording schedule, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hitmas
    Oh my god when vinny burst out of that door with the axe as the shiek and murdered the fuck out of that guy i started laughing so hard i think i almost passed out.

I think this was my favorite giant bomb video in years. Vinny's entire run was pure magic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    hey i'm sorry if i contributed to the thread getting taken away in the holiday forum by starting huge dumb discussions

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »

Me too but man they really should considering doing Yakuza 1 (PS2) then Y2 or skipping 2 and just watching the movie and playing Kiwami

Cause man the PS2 games are pretty rough and Y2 is the only one without a modern update.

Oh I forgot I also absolutely LOVE the Y1 dub so Id love to see it again.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hitman Mexico Rules seems like a lot of fun

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Doom should have totally won best styyyyyyyyyyle

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As rad as Doom is, it is totally the odd one out in that list to me

The correct game won

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I saw Doom on that list I thought "wait what"

Its style is what actively turned me away from the game until hearing all the high praise

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Edit I can't read apparently?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I like that they disqualify
    rez from style because it "mostly" came out last year but witcher 3 still got goty for an expansion

Edit spoiler tags just in case I guess I dunno how people consume this I just checked the website

Uh....no it didn't. It got Old Game of the Year.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I like that they disqualify
    rez from style because it "mostly" came out last year but witcher 3 still got goty for an expansion

Edit spoiler tags just in case I guess I dunno how people consume this I just checked the website

Uh....no it didn't. It got Old Game of the Year.

Oh I just can't read then, that makes a lot more sense and is a good pick

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Tuned in and out of the 1st game o' the year cast while doing stuffs yesterday. I hadn't heard a thing about Bound prior, and now I really want to play it when I get back to my ps4. I adore these kinds of games.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Adus wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    after watching Griffin's Nuzlocke run I'm convinced that that is the only way I would ever play Pokemon single player again, with a few modifications

it removes the brute force option and that's more than enough for me

it seems fucking nerve-wracking though

and heart-breaking
    RIP Miss Beakman

His is the best playthrough I've seen, I marathoned it but got to the second last episode before the last one came out, which was pretty fantastic really.

All the other lets plays are just a mess of shouting, bad jokes and poor editing

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Adus wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    after watching Griffin's Nuzlocke run I'm convinced that that is the only way I would ever play Pokemon single player again, with a few modifications

it removes the brute force option and that's more than enough for me

it seems fucking nerve-wracking though

and heart-breaking
    RIP Miss Beakman

His is the best playthrough I've seen, I marathoned it but got to the second last episode before the last one came out, which was pretty fantastic really.

All the other lets plays are just a mess of shouting, bad jokes and poor editing

Yeah, most Nuzlockes go on for too long. Griffin's is a nice, digestible 20 part series, and clocks in at about 12 hours.

I've been trying to watch ProJared's Sun Nuzlocke, and those Twitch archives are kind of a mess since they're just the WHOLE stream.

Edit: also Griffin's edits with music and the photo gallery at his journey's end were great.
    "Hot Topiiiiiiic! Wake me up inside!" Wake Me Up Inside starts playing on his death screen

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    the McElroys have proven to the world that all the innovative bullshit that the internet has given us isn't worth a damn without charm and talent

I thank them forever

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Well guys

I was all ready to be annoyed at Brad when he inevitably stumps for his indie darling of the year, Inside, during the final GOTY deliberations

But I just played it

And uh

It absolutely deserves to be up there

It's still like, number three for me? But it's number three with a fucking bullet

I can't even believe what the fuck I just saw

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Watching Best Styyyyyyle I can see a late breaking nomination for Best Moment or Sequence : DOOM (All of it)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Day One already had a few cutthroat moments of savagery from the GB crew.

Considering the thumbnail/screenshot of the Day 5 deliberations, I can see this getting surprisingly ugly.

There's never been a better time to play video games.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Watching Best Styyyyyyle I can see a late breaking nomination for Best Moment or Sequence : DOOM (All of it)

I honestly don't know what I'd pick for Best Moment now

It's either the intro to DOOM, or the entire final sequence of Inside

That's such a fucking coin flip for me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm really curious how their Best New Character category will go, since there kind of weren't many standouts this year. I don't really think the cast of Overwatch would be in their contention, Doom Guy and Agent 47 don't count, and the few story-heavy indies they played like Inside really don't have character personalities. I could see Alex going to bat for the Oxenfree cast and Dan fighting for Abigail from Stardew, but they probably won't gain much traction.

Knowing the GB guys, probably Delilah from Firewatch?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm really curious how their Best New Character category will go, since there kind of weren't many standouts this year. I don't really think the cast of Overwatch would be in their contention, Doom Guy and Agent 47 don't count, and the few story-heavy indies they played like Inside really don't have character personalities. I could see Alex going to bat for the Oxenfree cast and Dan fighting for Abigail from Stardew, but they probably won't gain much traction.

Does Handibot count as a "character"?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hot Mess
    Alex going in on Luckey was pretty excellent.

Also really wish Austin was around for that discussion.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

I dunno, the characters from Overwatch are the one big thing they all agree on. I could see Tracer getting a nomination.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Does Handibot count as a "character"?

he is a fictional construct created whole cloth by an artist

he is perhaps the purest definition of a character

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Alex is the only one that liked Firewatch more than "okay"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I actually suspect Rashid from Street Fighter 5 will make a strong run

He likes the internet!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Ceno wrote: »

I dunno, the characters from Overwatch are the one big thing they all agree on. I could see Tracer getting a nomination.

I suppose, but seeing as Jeff is adamant about not enjoying their banter and how the GB crew doesn't seem like they dig into the overarching story of Overwatch, it's kind of an odd year for that category.

Edit: Oh man, how good would it be if Jeff throws in the dark horse candidate of Popplio for Best New Character!

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

good job senpai, i knew you could beat that ugly piece of shit. whoa! you're gonna be a legend!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Uncle Death, Best Old New Character of 2017.

Sadly I don't think Let It Die was released/played a lot by Jeff before they recorded the GotY podcasts.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Hitmas video.
    I have no clue how Dan is gonna follow this. I just got to Vinnie getting the Sheikh costume in the best way ever.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    There's no way doom doesn't get best moment but as good as that intro is nothing beats discovering how +1 puzzles work in the witness for me
    Especially the puzzle with the sun

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Jeff doesn't like any of the characters (a position I tend to agree with) and I don't think any of them are strong enough on their own to beat out other individual characters

This discussion has been closed.