As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the Year with your pals at Giant Bomb

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    I know that Lara's girlfriend (?) got possessed by a ghost in the time between the two games and committed to a mental asylum?

I have never been so disappointed in a game I have no intention of playing

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    oh rise of the tomb raider is the game I forgot to get during the holiday sale

I knew I was missing something

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That was the run

That's how Contra is supposed to end, not a lot of people know that

6F32U1X.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The bizarrely elaborate death cutscenes in Tomb Raider 2013 were the worst part about it and Rise didn't have them at all (and it also toned down the viscerality of the violence in general).

I'm actually of two minds about the second thing because what I loved so much about 2013 was that it was clearly inspired by stuff like The Descent (even directly homaging that film's most famous shot) and a big budget kinda shlocky action horror heroine is exactly in my wheelhouse.

Rise moved away from that and into the safer Nathan Drake/Indiana Jones realm, which I also like but the game felt less unique (and the story was bad).

Anyway, I really like when Tomb Raider leans into the horror stuff but as always that stuff's not gonna be for everyone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Endurance Mode in Rise of the Tomb Raider is amazing and I really should play more of that.

How does it actually work? I was intrigued but never started a game.

You play with no map and no waypoints, permadeath, and with hunger and cold meters. You need to scavenge for resources to build up base camps, all while exploring to find tombs and relics. At any point you can call for an extraction, but maybe there's a little more you can get just a bit further on oh whoops now i'm dead and lost everything. It's just you and the gameplay, no story or anything.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I've seen the last level of Contra and oh boy are they gonna love that.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Endurance Mode in Rise of the Tomb Raider is amazing and I really should play more of that.

How does it actually work? I was intrigued but never started a game.

You play with no map and no waypoints, permadeath, and with hunger and cold meters. You need to scavenge for resources to build up base camps, all while exploring to find tombs and relics. At any point you can call for an extraction, but maybe there's a little more you can get just a bit further on oh whoops now i'm dead and lost everything. It's just you and the gameplay, no story or anything.

hmmm maybe I should reinstall to check that out

I never touched anything but the campaign

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I know that Lara's girlfriend (?) got possessed by a ghost in the time between the two games and committed to a mental asylum?

I was so very, VERY angry about this

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

It gets worse apparently?
    She escaped and is now fully controlled by the spirit of the evil queen from the first game and now she's probably going to go on a killing spree or something??

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Moriveth wrote: »

She escaped and is now fully controlled by the spirit of the evil queen from the first game and now she's probably going to go on a killing spree or something??

But that's a good thing! Only through murder can a woman become self-actualised.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I've seen the last level of Contra and oh boy are they gonna love that.

I did this too and apparently aside from the first stage, the final stage and final boss was really all I remembered about Contra.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »

wtf...and I thought getting fridged could be the worst thing you could do to a women. edit: in fiction.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    "I'm no scientist but I know a cat can't be dead and alive at the same time." --Dan Ryckert, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhkTeVQQcI

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    "I'm no scientist but I know a cat can't be dead and alive at the same time." --Dan Ryckert, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhkTeVQQcI

Dan apparently looked at a Wikipedia article after this and just got even more confused, as described on today's "This is the run"

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    For fucks sake dan

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Dan you glorious idiot man

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I mean, Dan is the same person who went on record during a beastcast saying how amazing it was that computers and the internet were made out of dirt and rocks, and then could not believe sand was in computers during the giant machines ql.

Dan gonna dan.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Dan is either going to propel the corrections segment to new heights or destroy it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    In spite of it's metal-gearness, I have a feeling Dan would be completely lost on the Zero Escape series

Dan is either going to propel the corrections segment to new heights or destroy it

They'll have to spin off the corrections section to its own podcast.

you mean it's gonna be the greatest thing ever. it will be like a Bill Nye segment every week.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    also, finally it'll be a 3 hour podcast. like God intended.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I could crush a job doing write ups at a basic reading level of dan being bad at science and facts.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Dan's My Man

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    also, finally it'll be a 3 hour podcast. like God intended.

I don't see how anything less than 2 hours can even call itself a podcast, tbf

cdci44qazyo3.gif

If it's Bill Nye-like then it should be called It's Dan The Stupid Man

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I am into the episodic complex tomb idea for tomb Raider

PNk1Ml4.png
    On the upside, I can now waste time at work mentally arranging my email for the beastcast corrections segment

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Dan not realizing there was no air in space might be the worst one

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    -Tal wrote: »

This may be the Dan Fact that is too much for me to handle

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    When do we get the premium feature where Dan fights a wolf though?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

oof

that one hurt, yeah

I still like Dan thinking that grass was not alive

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    It sounds like this guy you all worship is a dumbass

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    In spite of it's metal-gearness, I have a feeling Dan would be completely lost on the Zero Escape series

Never in a million years would Dan be able to get through the puzzle portions

EDIT: Like, ZTD contains a puzzle that involves a base 12 numbering system. Would Dan even know what the phrase "base 12 numbering system" means?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have to take a break from content where Dan is aggressively ignorant or just asks a million asinine questions. Shit's just exhausting.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Dan thinking Shenmue is a good game is clearly his greatest folly.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It sounds like this guy you all worship is a dumbass

I mean, yeah

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.